Mod The Sims

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Sims 3 (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=561)
-   -   can´t install .sim files (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=356338)

LadyofPanic89 17th Jul 2009 1:04 PM

can´t install .sim files

i downloaded rihanna and then i wanted to install it and did it like it was said in the help section,but it doesn`t work it always says :"could not find a valid directory to install to"
can you please help me?

HystericalParoxysm 17th Jul 2009 1:55 PM

Um, -what- says "could not find a valid directory to install to"? You just put the .sim file in your My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\SavedSims folder yourself, after extracting from the rar or zip file. If you don't have a SavedSims folder, just create one there. Don't double-click on the .sim file or anything like that - that doesn't work.

danisexton1 17th Jul 2009 2:33 PM

Im having trouble too, I diabled the UAC, Ive made the folders, I installed framework, I installed that Monkey thing off the site, tried it all it all says DENIED & its starting to pee me off.. Can anyone tell me what the problem Im missing is plz?

blondynka 17th Jul 2009 2:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by danisexton1
Im having trouble too, I diabled the UAC, Ive made the folders, I installed framework, I installed that Monkey thing off the site, tried it all it all says DENIED & its starting to pee me off.. Can anyone tell me what the problem Im missing is plz?

Just place the .package files in your mods/packages folder, and your .sim files in savedsims folder. You do not need to double click to install them, in the traditional sense of the word.

danisexton1 17th Jul 2009 2:39 PM

I did that but it still wont work when I try to put the .package one in.. The .sim file went fine, the other I get a error message

blondynka 17th Jul 2009 2:43 PM

I did that but it still wont work when I try to put the .package one in.. The .sim file went fine, the other I get a error message

Hmm... I'm on a Mac so I'm not sure if I can help you. You're running Vista, right? I have heard of this problem before with that OS

danisexton1 17th Jul 2009 3:05 PM

Yea just when I got adjusted to Vista this happens..lol
I downlaod a sim, she showed up but the CC on her didnt, I downloaded the skin itself that was on that sim & nope still notta I'll just keep waiting till i see others getting it maybe I'll catch on.

Shimrod101 18th Jul 2009 4:11 PM

I suggest you try moving the package file out of the mods/packages folder and place it somewhere else on your harddrive. Then you double click on it and the HelperMonkey will install it. In other words, if the package file is ALREADY in that Sims3 mods folder the Monkey can't do anything. If you haven't tried doing it exactly this way once, I suggest you try it and see if it isn't fixed.

siamesesunday 19th Jul 2009 12:22 AM

I am having the same issues when it comes to downloading sims. I also have vista. Has anyone with Vista been successful at downloading sims into their game? I would love to know how. I have the helper monkey and all it does is send the sims to the electronic arts file. I created a saved sims folder and tried manually putting the sims into the folder to no avail...

danisexton1 19th Jul 2009 3:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
I suggest you try moving the package file out of the mods/packages folder and place it somewhere else on your harddrive. Then you double click on it and the HelperMonkey will install it. In other words, if the package file is ALREADY in that Sims3 mods folder the Monkey can't do anything. If you haven't tried doing it exactly this way once, I suggest you try it and see if it isn't fixed.

Yea did this & umm either my computer or Helper monkey hates me.. :/
Maybe I'll take everything out & redo it all..IDK

xy-girl-xyj 20th Jul 2009 9:37 AM

Hey I'm from germany and
I have the problem too and "could not find a valid directory to install to"
I get everytime, when I try to install the files
I've done all what HYSTERICAL PAROXYSM said & it doesn't work

Sidheed 20th Jul 2009 11:24 AM

xy-girl-xyj

This is actually the procedure that generally works for people which is why HP has quoted it. Maybe it would be more useful for you to tell us about what error messages you are receiving when attempting to do this. Or where you are looking for the sims which is leading you to believe it is not working. Otherwise we will be unable to help you I am afraid.

This is one obvious question are you logged into a Administrator account? As that is one of the main causes of problems I came across in Vista and is what any helpdesk has asked me when reporting problems.

xy-girl-xyj 20th Jul 2009 5:37 PM

Ehm,... I get this error message :"could not find a valid directory to install to"

Deelicious1920 23rd Jul 2009 11:51 PM

wow...thought i was the only one :-(

I have looked up all types of troubleshooting for this issue, but to no avail. All the sims I try to DL are never in my darn game. I go to CAS they arent there, yet when i click on the file in my saved sims folder they always say it is already downloaded. very weird. i cant play any custom sims :-(

mangaroo 24th Jul 2009 12:05 AM

First, the install helper monkey is not to be used to install .sim files. Please read the part of the mod description announcing what it does not do: http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=344611

Next, read the FAQ on installing downloaded Sims: http://linna.modthesims.info/wiki.p...alling_TS3_Sims
In brief: if the downloaded Sim is in .Sims3Pack format, double-click the file and let the launcher do its job. If the downloaded Sim in in .sim format, you must manually move the .sim file to My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\SavedSims

Note that this folder is in the Documents directory and not in the program files directory. Note that there is no space in the SavedSims folder name. Note that you may have to create this folder yourself if it doesn't exist.

siamesesunday 24th Jul 2009 12:16 AM

I figured out my issue - after trying every which way possible, I realized the problem was that I had created a Saved Sims folder instead of a SavedSims folder... DOH! Leave out the space and see if that fixes your issue.

Deelicious1920 2nd Aug 2009 7:10 PM

I tried all of the above....to no avail. its sad. makes me not even wanna play the damn game, cause im frustrated. The bad thing is folks that DIDNT pay for the game, aren't having any damn problems with it.

haylz320 2nd Aug 2009 11:35 PM

deelicious > are you sure you're logged in as the administrator? many issues with vista stem from this, and are usually fixed by switching to the administrator.

Kakashi4evr 27th Dec 2009 4:06 AM

--I tried downloading some custom sims. One was in a .package file and the .sim file went to the Savedsims folder-no problem there- but another one was just in the .sim package(after un-zipping from zip file) and so I followed these instructions and put it in the Savedsims folder. I'm hoping it works. I am signed in as Administrator and am on Vista if that helps. I'm thinking that since the other .sim file went to the saved sims folder, the other one should go there too, and work with no problems. Thought I'd try to help for once ;b

----I tested it in-game and all went well. Now the only thing left is to get the custom stuff for them to show their faces.................but that's another problem!!!----

Night Racer 27th Dec 2009 6:03 AM

for those of you still having problems; if your on vista you might be able to right click on your Saved Sims folder or the Electronic Arts folder and hit "Take Ownership" If your the administrator. then it might work.

leon669 18th Feb 2010 7:37 PM

still having problems

Quote: Originally posted by LadyofPanic89
i downloaded rihanna and then i wanted to install it and did it like it was said in the help section,but it doesn`t work it always says :"could not find a valid directory to install to"
can you please help me?

if you or anyone else is still having problems on this thread then the sim. file has to go into the my documents/electronic arts not the program files/electronic arts

GetsLifted 24th Jun 2010 8:14 PM

I am putting my .sim files in the correct place but they just dont show up in my CAS. Is there a way to convert .sim files to .sims3pack? Or am i missing something when installing the .sim file? Like I said.... Its definitely in the right place, Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\SavedSims