Mod The Sims

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Sims 3 (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=561)
-   -   Growing plants indoors (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=492020)

Le Carrera 26th Nov 2012 4:33 AM

Growing plants indoors

First of all, I DON'T want to use planters, because that would be expensive, plus they're tedious and annoying.

Trying to get this to work in a world where I want it to be perpetually winter. Obviously trying to grow plants outside in winter won't work, so how the heck can I grow them indoors? I tried to construct something that would work as a greenhouse, but the game won't let me garden indoors...

And my dude is a warlock (though the game still calls him a "witch", ugh), who practices alchemy, so gardening is kinda a must.

Srikandi 26th Nov 2012 5:16 AM

Plant outside (you can make it temporarily summer using cheats to do this if you have to, I guess -- not sure if Seasons will let you plant in winter), and then move the plants indoors using moveobjects. That's how there are plants in tombs in WA.

Pretty sure you still need dirt floor though.

Haven't tested this lately, but it used to work

Alternatively, and I haven't tested this either, I suppose you could plant outside and then build around the plants.

If you don't get gardening interactions using these methods, you could also try removing PART of the roof. I read somewhere recently that there's some roof percentage required to block weather, like 60% of the room covered with roof, and some HIGHER roof percentage required to block gardening, like 80%. Not sure of these numbers though. But the idea was that there's a sweet spot where weather doesn't come in but you can still garden.

coltraz 26th Nov 2012 7:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
But the idea was that there's a sweet spot where weather doesn't come in but you can still garden.

Wow, how stupid is that? Having to coax the game into doing very basic things with cheats & trying to discover some "sweet spot" to fool the game. Why doesn't EA just fix this stuff?

Bejaymac 27th Nov 2012 12:31 AM

Do what the rest of us do, cheat, use moveObjects on, that way your sim can plant them anywhere, after their planted turn the cheat off.

tigger89 27th Nov 2012 2:44 AM

Does that still work after seasons? I know it worked before, but has anyone verified that the plants won't go dormant over the winter?

Shimrod101 27th Nov 2012 4:24 AM

I think it's great that the plants go dormant during Winter; now my sim doesn't have to teleport back home every morning to take care of that stringy pumpkin plant which he bought.

dream_operator23 30th Nov 2012 4:11 AM

Yes, plants should go dormant in the winter, but alternately you should be able to plant them in a greenhouse so you can have year around gardening should you so desire.

Ive 30th Nov 2012 5:42 AM

Even if you plant them inside during winter, they go dormant.
But fear not, after a sim day (or two) they become "normal" and you can continue growing plants in the winter

So greenhouses work fine, just use moveobjects and then you can plant them inside.

emino 30th Nov 2012 9:18 AM

Or maybe you can plant first then build walls around them? lulz