Mod The Sims
Page 1 of 2

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Sims 4 (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=669)
-   -   The Sims 4 Graphics (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=517902)

samantha9199 3rd Jan 2014 6:59 PM

The Sims 4 Graphics

So I was really hoping that the sims 4 would have super realistic graphics, but when I saw the trailer I noticed it was more cartoon-ish. I dont know why, but I was sorta disappointed... anyone else with me?
Although I do respect them making a new game, I just hoped for realistic life simulation.
Also, does anyone know about the release date? o:

Nemiga 3rd Jan 2014 7:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by samantha9199
So I was really hoping that the sims 4 would have super realistic graphics, but when I saw the trailer I noticed it was more cartoon-ish. I dont know why, but I was sorta disappointed... anyone else with me?
Although I do respect them making a new game, I just hoped for realistic life simulation.
Also, does anyone know about the release date? o:

I little bit disagree with that.Sims look not very well if it will be very realistic.But yeah,cartoon style sucks.Most of people was hopping for better graphics than sims 3,and what get....

kennyinbmore 3rd Jan 2014 8:20 PM

Sam the last update on a possible release is Fall 2014. The graphics look like The Sims 3.1 to me. I'm very disappointed as well

cece15624 3rd Jan 2014 10:36 PM

I personally think the graphics are the best in The Sims 4, the series has always been cartoony and I hope that never changes. I don't want a realistic game with astonishing graphics I want a good game, I want "The Sims" with its quirky humor, fun and cartoon style.

Legislacerator 3rd Jan 2014 10:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cece15624
I personally think the graphics are the best in The Sims 4, the series has always been cartoony and I hope that never changes. I don't want a realistic game with astonishing graphics I want a good game, I want "The Sims" with its quirky humor, fun and cartoon style.

I agree with this. Personally I'm really excited about how TS4 looks (even if I won't be able to run it for a while, lol), it looks like a more polished TS2 without the puddingfaces of TS3.
If I want to play a game with super realistic humans I'm not going to play the sims, I'm going to play one of the tons of other games out there. "Cartoony" is what the sims is, they're not going to start changing it up any time soon. If you want super realistic just...download the inevitable CC that will be released, but don't expect it to look like that out of the box.

NotScottish 4th Jan 2014 3:45 AM

Realistic just doesn't work for the sims. With all the crazy stuff that's in the game, and the humor that makes the game so unique and enjoyable, realistic would not fit. They tried that with the sims 3, making them more realistic, and look how they turned out. Blah.

In the picture above, you can see the sims 4 sim has so much more shading on her face that givers her so much more definition and life. The shading on the lips make them look fuller, unlike the sims 3, which looks a lot more flat. The eye's of 4 have actual eyelids and definition on the lower part, again unlike 3, who's look flat. Just shadows all together make the new sim less pudgy (Hallelujah!) Not to mention the eyes. No more staring lifelessly into your soul. Even the hair matches. It doesn't look like a stringy wig like the sims 3.

Even though they went stylized, it looks a lot more realistic than 3 ever did.

ani_ 4th Jan 2014 5:24 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority but I hope EA puts more detail into eyebrows. There was a slight improvement in eyebrows when going from TS2 to TS3 but still one needs a default replacement.

Honestly that TS3 picture is one of the worst out there. Even EA is capable of nonepuddingness but I guess that picture was chosen to prove a point.

What comes to the looks of the sims I think they need to fit to their environment. A TS2 sims in a TS3 world would look so out of place. I like that TS3 sims look a tiny bit more realistic because their environment is. If TS4 environment really is going to be as bright and Disney like as we have seen anything not cartoony would not fit.

morphius1 4th Jan 2014 9:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
Sam the last update on a possible release is Fall 2014. The graphics look like The Sims 3.1 to me. I'm very disappointed as well

You can't please everyone, folks. Everyone just loved The Sims 2 sims (now that was cartoony).

In my opinion, The Sims 4 sims (so far) look better than The Sims 3 sims. But that is my opinion. I have no problemos with the way it looks. What I am concerned with is gameplay.

pinimon162 5th Jan 2014 1:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by morphius1
You can't please everyone, folks. Everyone just loved The Sims 2 sims (now that was cartoony).

In my opinion, The Sims 4 sims (so far) look better than The Sims 3 sims. But that is my opinion. I have no problemos with the way it looks. What I am concerned with is gameplay.

I completely agree. Look at it this way - if the gameplay is repetitive, boring, and has no new features from the previous Sims games, but the graphics look incredible (whatever definition of 'incredible' you prefer, be it realistic, more life-like, etc.) then how long will you be captivated by the game - a few days maybe? The amount of time it takes you to create sims, houses, and neighbourhoods which look fantastic and you can screenshot?

Even if the graphics aren't to your preference, or even if they are actually technically sub-par, if the gameplay is varied, interesting, fun, with a quirky sense of humour and new interactions to explore, then you'll get a lot more out of the game. And aesthetics are a LOT more easy to 'fix' than gameplay because you can always download custom content and modify the look of your sims.

The game should, hopefully, be built from the inside-out, with the basic focus on how we play the game and interact with the sims. The aesthetics and stylistic things come later. Obviously it would be spectacular if we could have both! But everyone has different opinions on what graphics they prefer - I for one would really dislike 'realistic' sims. So it makes sense for them to continue the trend of a 'cartoony' looking game because this is what people are used to.

MrsBreyers 5th Jan 2014 6:06 PM

I just pray for decent default hair styles.

TullyKat1 6th Jan 2014 1:13 AM

CC's can make such a difference to how your Sims look that I just pray EA makes it easy to create them and get them into game. And pray that they don't need updating with every EP.

bluegirl45 6th Jan 2014 7:36 AM

The Sims series has always had cartoony graphics. One thing I'm NOT looking for is ultra-realistic graphics, I'm pretty happy with what I see so far. Of course, the games is in early stages of development right now so what we see now, will probably be quite different.

IveGotACat 6th Jan 2014 8:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pinimon162
I completely agree. Look at it this way - if the gameplay is repetitive, boring, and has no new features from the previous Sims games, but the graphics look incredible (whatever definition of 'incredible' you prefer, be it realistic, more life-like, etc.) then how long will you be captivated by the game - a few days maybe? The amount of time it takes you to create sims, houses, and neighbourhoods which look fantastic and you can screenshot?

Even if the graphics aren't to your preference, or even if they are actually technically sub-par, if the gameplay is varied, interesting, fun, with a quirky sense of humour and new interactions to explore, then you'll get a lot more out of the game. And aesthetics are a LOT more easy to 'fix' than gameplay because you can always download custom content and modify the look of your sims.

The game should, hopefully, be built from the inside-out, with the basic focus on how we play the game and interact with the sims. The aesthetics and stylistic things come later. Obviously it would be spectacular if we could have both! But everyone has different opinions on what graphics they prefer - I for one would really dislike 'realistic' sims. So it makes sense for them to continue the trend of a 'cartoony' looking game because this is what people are used to.

THIS is exactly what I think. I would much rather prefer a game that offers improved, interesting, and dynamic gameplay than have the game focus on aesthetics. Aesthetics can easily be fixed with CC. I'd rather download mods for that than have to download mods to add basic features to the game that were probably cut to make way for CASt. I'm all for sacrificing CASt to enrich the playing experience. It may just be how I personally play, but I hardly, if ever, used CASt and actually preferred just downloading reskins. I'd rather not be bogged down with the game having to load super realistic and unique textures every time I move the camera. So far I am LOVING what EA is doing for this game. I'm excited to learn more about it as time goes on. Hopefully my expectations aren't too high (but we hardly know anything yet so who knows!).

joandsarah77 6th Jan 2014 8:32 AM

Agree 100% with that. I don't want realistic. Sims 4 sims look like how I thought Sims 3 would look. The only thing that I hope improves is the view out of the window. Even Sims 2 hood view from the window looks better. Hopefully that will all change before release. Maybe they hadn't worked on the scenery much at all.

wuchdaddy 10th Jan 2014 2:43 AM

The more I see the new look the more I'm starting to like it. I think once we actually get to see more gameplay, especially leading up to release, the more I think people will like it. I think if the sims looked more real I would be a little thrown off by it. Especially when some of the more goofy stuff like getting abducted by aliens happened

Hevnleme 16th Jan 2014 1:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nemiga
I little bit disagree with that.Sims look not very well if it will be very realistic.But yeah,cartoon style sucks.Most of people was hopping for better graphics than sims 3,and what get....

Nice photo . But what some of you don't notice or understand is that sims 3's graphics were soooooo realistic that your game would crash or lag. F it I will miss the sims 3 graphics but sims 4 idk guys I think once we get the game we wont even pay attention to the graphics and we will just love the game : )

cece15624 16th Jan 2014 2:15 AM

^ Sims 3 graphics were soooooooo realistic wait what?

Both games were released the same year. Unless I'm missing something The Sims 3 isn't realistic as everyone makes it out to be.

EA tried to keep the cartoony feel to The Sims 3.... If they wanted to make the game realistic they could but yes even EA knows The Sims franchise was never meant to be realistic.

NotScottish 16th Jan 2014 4:38 AM

Both games were released the same year. Unless I'm missing something The Sims 3 isn't realistic as everyone makes it out to be.

EA tried to keep the cartoony feel to The Sims 3.... If they wanted to make the game realistic they could but yes even EA knows The Sims franchise was never meant to be realistic.

And also Crysis 1 came out two years before the sims 3, and look how realistic that was.

cece15624 16th Jan 2014 5:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by NotScottish
And also Crysis 1 came out two years before the sims 3, and look how realistic that was.

Yes exactly my point

I don't know everyone says The Sims 3 is amazingly realistic but I don't get it.

lil bag2 16th Jan 2014 5:37 AM

Personally, I think they could have done much better with the graphics this time around. Every time I look at it I'm reminded of the old Sims 2 and Urbz console games. That being said, bad graphics aren't enough to turn me off to a game completely. Especially not a game where there's gonna be tons of CC to make the sims more pleasing to the eye. What's turning me off to TS4 so far is:

1. Lack of CASt. I don't wanna go back to downloading tons of recolors
2. Lack of any decent news. The game's been announced for a really long time now and we haven't even seen real gameplay. Not even a beta. That's not a good sign in my book. If it hasn't been a year yet, it's getting there and yet we know more about the things that they took out than what they've put in.
3. Using "emotions" as a selling point when their previous ones were "aging and better graphics among many other things" (TS2) and "Open environments and CASt" (TS4). It's more than a little underwhelming. Emotions aren't really a new thing in the Sims, no matter how hard they try to say otherwise.
4. If TS3's run was anything to go by, we know EA has a track record for being as half assed as possible when it comes to games that don't start with Madden or NBA. Every little (and I do mean little) bit of news we've gotten, every month we've gone without any news at all, every time we've gotten the same news over and over again, the fact that they needed SimCity to fall on its ass to realize we never wanted or asked for TS4 to be an MMO, the fact that it still shows that their original intention was for TS4 to be an MMO, the lack of any impressive information or even a decent trailer and yet they're already pushing us to buy the damn thing or it's Gold edition or Deluxe edition or whatever the fuck it's called now. This game hasn't even come out yet and it's already covered in typical EA shadiness.

In short, we have a lot more to be worried about than graphics.

pirate_wolf_12 16th Jan 2014 5:44 AM

I'm with Lil Bag. My problem isn't that the graphics of the sims are cartoony. It's that they look bad. The plastic hair, the sharp angles of their faces. They remind me of the console games. I don't mind what little we've seen of the world but that's hardly sold me on the new game.

And it's unfair to compare Left 4 Dead 2's playable character graphics with the Sims 3.

lewisb40 16th Jan 2014 6:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
Look at the bullpoints below

1. Lack of CASt. I don't wanna go back to downloading tons of recolors This part is making me hyperventilate. Fear taking over my simming soul, I want to cry.

[snipped]
3. Using "emotions" as a selling point when their previous ones were "aging and better graphics among many other things" (TS2) and "Open environments and CASt" (TS4). It's more than a little underwhelming. Emotions aren't really a new thing in the Sims, no matter how hard they try to say otherwise. Yeah, in Sims 2 the sim emoted how they felt in facial expressions, the way they walked, or even interacting with the player by showing them how glad or sad a queue made them feel. The bony, jungle dweller sim they presented in the broadcast for Sims 4 doing the googly face didn't impress me, made me want to slap him. Whatever.

4. If TS3's run was anything to go by, we know EA has a track record for being as half assed as possible when it comes to games that don't start with Madden or NBA. Every little (and I do mean little) bit of news we've gotten, every month we've gone without any news at all, every time we've gotten the same news over and over again, the fact that they needed SimCity to fall on its ass to realize we never wanted or asked for TS4 to be an MMO, the fact that it still shows that their original intention was for TS4 to be an MMO, the lack of any impressive information or even a decent trailer and yet they're already pushing us to buy the damn thing or it's Gold edition or Deluxe edition or whatever the fuck it's called now. This game hasn't even come out yet and it's already covered in typical EA shadiness. Can I get an Amen! Preach!

Also agree that graphics is not a big deal, that can always be handled by the creating community. I want to know about the interactions, will this be just a goal based game or allow for legacy game play? What about other age groups, what will make them special or will it be like Sims 3, age up the other age groups because EA thinks all simmers want to play is YA/Adults?

cece15624 16th Jan 2014 8:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
And it's unfair to compare Left 4 Dead 2's playable character graphics with the Sims 3.

How is it unfair to compare Left 4 Dead 2's graphics with The Sims 3 graphics? They both came out the same year and its obvious which one is more realistic, if EA wanted The Sims 3 to be realistic they could have made it just that. But its not. At all, that's whats being compared, The Sims has never been realistic and even though everyone says The Sims 3 is so lifelike I honestly do not see it. In no way is it unfair to compare these games, its not like they're 6 years apart. That's like saying it isn't far to compare a cats print to a dogs print. At the end of the day its the same shit, a print. Or in this case a game made in the same year. What would be fair to compare the sim to then? A pudding cup?

pirate_wolf_12 16th Jan 2014 9:32 AM

Okay.

Firstly, I wasn't saying the sims were meant to be ultra realistic. Secondly, there's a bunch of other factors you'd have to consider when comparing the two rather than being released in the same year. Crafting numerous sims from scratch for a life simulation game is a lot more challenging, demanding and technical graphics wise compared to a linear shooting game which only uses four human models.

An entire city (Featuring buildings also crafted by yourself needing to be loaded at a moment's notice.) of unique sims running around is, simply, complex and having the same level of gameplay with super realistic graphics is nearly impossible. Well, unless you don't mnid extreme lag but judging by the number of people happy to wave of CASt due to slow loading I don't think that would be well recieved.

In short, comparing same-gen online shooter games to one another is a fair comparison. This is apples and oranges.

cece15624 16th Jan 2014 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Okay.

Firstly, I wasn't saying the sims were meant to be ultra realistic. Secondly, there's a bunch of other factors you'd have to consider when comparing the two rather than being released in the same year. Crafting numerous sims from scratch for a life simulation game is a lot more challenging, demanding and technical graphics wise compared to a linear shooting game which only uses four human models.

An entire city (Featuring buildings also crafted by yourself needing to be loaded at a moment's notice.) of unique sims running around is, simply, complex and having the same level of gameplay with super realistic graphics is nearly impossible. Well, unless you don't mnid extreme lag but judging by the number of people happy to wave of CASt due to slow loading I don't think that would be well recieved.

In short, comparing same-gen online shooter games to one another is a fair comparison. This is apples and oranges.

I never said that you specifically thought the sims were ultra realistic, I said a lot or some people. again I'm NOT comparing that. I've said it twice and I will say it again, that if EA decided to make it realistic they could considering other games released that year and some renders I've seen for games. You have to think if they did make The Sims realistic in 3 than that would be the big feature CASt wouldn't be involved an open world would probably not be included either so that takes care of your extreme lag situation. Also that The Sims 3 graphics wise is not realistic. Which is what a lot of people make it out to be, it might have the best graphics of all The Sims games (if that's your preference) If you've seen my post above you would know that I do not want The Sims 4 to be realistic.

Go on now compare.