Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Speed-Building Challenge - posted on 17th Oct 2018 at 7:25 PM
Replies: 1 (Who?), Viewed: 1186 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 8:46 PM
Pre-Relase Sim Footage Pics
Reflective of its innovative and somewhat experimental nature, TONS of things have changed during the building of the first The Sims and because of that it is always interesting and even intriguing to observe the differences between the oldest pictures/videos of it (1996-1999's) until February 2000 and its been, let's say, one of my favorite obsessions and hobbies haha

This seems to be the oldest Sims gameplay footage (1999) we've got available on the interwebs so far, and it's probably shot in, more or less, the same time the picture above was. Shows the characters in a more "cartoon-ish" shape (except the twins), the rubber plant seen in a different perspective and an ARROW taking the place the plumbob does these days! Also, do note the voice acting (like when the man tells the woman a joke) seemed way more uninspired and inexpressive than it is in the final game, almost sounding like muttering

This other one, shot months or weeks before the release of the final version, shows the game almost in the way we're used to see but with some minor changes, like the plumbob behavior (which doesn't seem to spin at all?), the way how the shade of the objects change a little once the mouse hover it, the Sims talking whilst one of them hold a platter and, more impressively, if I'm not mistaken, the Buy Mode song {2:23} sounds a bit different, too.

So, today, I invite you to share some of your favorite beta pictures of The Sims, in case you're also keen on this subject and have something to offer! Gonna be precious for my personal research, haha.

Thank you in advance!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 6:10 PM
Hi! Quite interesting indeed! I have a bit of an obsession with the beta material of Sims games. I thought I had seen everything, but I was mistaken! You're right, the buy music sounds different; is not a different song, but rather, the same song recorded differently; I believe it's some sort of MIDI. And those cartoony models! Quite odd seeing them with the realistic environement we're used to!

I don't really have anything from the beta of TS1; I used to have an image, a render maybe, of a sophisticated female sim dressed as Bella Goth and with the head of Betty Newbie. Talking of which, it would be interesting searching the original families and how they came to be as they were.