Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#51 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 2:34 AM
C'est bellle! There must be some way to get DoF into the game, I'll have to scour the website for the additional plugins. First you finish Reyes for us, now you're prettifying our game? You ought to receive a damned knighthood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 3:07 AM
It is a bit tricky to work with- so I don't know if it will have tremendous use outside of picture taking.

I would personally be more interested in seeing if Sims Medieval heads can be converted!

That being said- I still think the Sims 3 has plenty of potential in terms of improvement- it's the only open world people simulation game out there at the moment!
Mad Poster
#54 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 3:28 AM
I only quickly tested it out, but there was a definite hit. Maybe require additional research, but I have no time at the moment.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#56 Old 5th Jun 2015 at 5:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Ok, so I managed to get it to work:

After installing it on the TS3W.exe file- you also need to drag the Reshade32.dll to the game directory. Uninstalling is as simple as simply removing the files from the game directory.

I used this shader plugin: http://reshade.me/forum/shader-pres...i-and-much-more
http://reshade.me/forum/shader-pres...i-and-much-more
More here: http://reshade.me/forum/index

You simply need to drag those files into your game directory.

So godrays and lens dirt! Unfortunately, no ambient occlusion or depth of field, but I imagine those would require a bit of fiddling about. Someone will also need to find the toggle on/off & take photo keys for this as well.

You, my good sir, has just won the internet. :D

As for SSAO, I'm sure we'll be able to make it show up ingame, and not just a faint one at that. Well, of course we wouldn't want to exaggerate on the effect either - AO's meant to be a quick and dirty approximation of indirect lighting anyway, and too much of it would look a bit too jarring.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 7th Jun 2015 at 7:31 PM
Is there any possibility of splicing the sub-surface scattering they used in The Sims Medieval into the Sims 3?

It would require looking into the render engine, but the Sims Medieval engine is based off the one that the Sims 3 used.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I think you should ask that in the TSM forum, they might know more. I've been there a couple of times and I think some modders there have successfully ported items/sims/hair/skin etc...etc.. between TSM and TS3.

This goes far beyond custom content- it starts digging into the core rendering engine of the game.

The TSM forum is kind of dead though, don't see much going on there.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#61 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 7:38 AM
This goes far beyond custom content- it starts digging into the core rendering engine of the game.

Agreed. It does take more than just cobbling up a package - I've seen efforts at replacing the default renderer that came with GTA San Andreas with a deferred pipeline, and even that wasn't exactly a walk in the park either.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 8th Jun 2015 at 6:07 PM
I wonder how the game engine is stored in the files...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#63 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 12:20 AM
I wonder how the game engine is stored in the files...

It's certainly hardcoded.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 4:09 AM
Out of the question, I guess.

Speaking of which- one of the more glaring issues with the way sims are rendered- a lack of self-shading on certain parts of the body. It seems to happen only around the eyes, eyelids and lips.

it also seems to always happen around bright lights, and can be worse indoors (where there's no real lighting system).

What could be causing these issues? Could it be the mesh?

Mad Poster
#66 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 5:07 AM
I use these ones:
http://mysims3blog.blogspot.ca/2014...akeover-by.html
http://mysims3blog.blogspot.ca/2014...es-skin-by.html

Plus some eyebrows, eyes, hair and brow sliders.

I still ask the question because in the image, you can see some sort of shading from the head onto the shoulders and arms, but the eyelids/lips seem unaffected?

It's even worse inside because you don't have real shadowing from lights.
Mad Poster
#68 Old 17th Jun 2015 at 12:57 PM
Actually, you brought up in another thread about how after UL, TS3 no longer has multi-flooring lighting. Since you've mentioned it, I've been noticing it a lot more and it really bugs me! I'm trying to find a solution to that, but it doesn't look good. It is especially annoying on the wall light that points upward, it gets cut off right when it reach the 2nd floor.

The thing that bugs me more is the lack of shadowing indoors- i.e. the lack of shadowing on the sim's hands under the table.

If you place a sim sideways against the light indoors, they won't self-shade as well.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 11:35 AM
I must not be doing something right....

I'm having exactly the same issue. Looks horrid on the UI. The god rays are way too stark, also. jje1000, you know what I'm doing wrong?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#71 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 7:12 PM
Yeah, I tried only a few engines- there might be one that works best.

Hopefully we can get one that works with depth of field.

All I need:

- Stronger ambient occlusion
- Depth of field
Mad Poster
#72 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 10:37 PM
So ah, that didn't work either. Anyone have a TS3W executable? I forgot to back up mine and now my entire install is broken. FUCK.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#74 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 12:54 AM
Did you accidentally delete TS3W.exe? The Reshade files should not have an effect on any existing game files.

Which patch level are you on?
Mad Poster
#75 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 8:08 AM
Did you accidentally delete TS3W.exe? The Reshade files should not have an effect on any existing game files.

Well, ReShade adds an annoying text overlay that doesn't go away when no shaders are installed. I didn't delete TS3W, I just don't have an unpatched version anymore. My Launcher now crashes everytime I try to open the game. I'm on 1.67.2.

insert signature here
Page 3 of 8