Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 6:20 PM
Improving Shadow Distance in the Sims 3?
One of the things that has always bugged me in the Sims 3 is how the draw distance of shadows seems to dramatically decrease when you dropped your camera down to street level.

Looks good up here!

Dropped down...ughhh.

My question is- is there a way to improve/fix this?

I'm hoping that the fix will just be the alteration of some numbers related to draw distance, but it's probably more complicated than that.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 7:25 PM
This is one thing I've noticed as well. I don't think it's listed as a "problem". I'm thinking it's just the way the game deals with shadows. What really stumps me is how it's apparently made so that when you zoom in, shadows actually fade out or lose detail, rather than the other way around. I'm using a lighting mod that really helps with the shadows though.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 7:36 PM
I haven't noticed this in the game but a while ago gelina released some lighting tweaks that seem to make shadows look really realistic (not my cup of tea though since it gives sims a weird ghostly appearance outdoor, but it works nicely for landscape)

http://gelinadownloads.tumblr.com/p...ing-tweaks-that

In her preview the shadows looks really good, maybe give it a try?
dodgy builder
#4 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by glastduke2131
I haven't noticed this in the game but a while ago gelina released some lighting tweaks that seem to make shadows look really realistic (not my cup of tea though since it gives sims a weird ghostly appearance outdoor, but it works nicely for landscape)

http://gelinadownloads.tumblr.com/p...ing-tweaks-that

In her preview the shadows looks really good, maybe give it a try?

Could have been great if it wasn't for the yellowish light in daylight. Basegame has a blueish color in daylight and it looks far more natural where I live. Further south the light is more yellowish. The shadows looks great though.
Instructor
#5 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 1:09 PM
I've resorted to using this: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=367164
Although it should be mentioned that without proper tweaks (or something) this doesn't work in a lot of custom/store worlds and such. For me it's alright because I mainly play in Sunset Valley anyway.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 3:51 AM

Looks like it could potentially work- look at the shadow difference between the two. Now off to dissect this and see how it works!

Thanks

Edit: Some food for thought- could shadow cut-off be related to the fog ramps (aka when the atmospheric fade begins?
Scholar
#7 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 6:58 AM
i must be the odd ball out....it doesnt really bother me...since it took me 4 different angles to find the one
that showed up like the op's second pic....

Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 11:12 AM
Sorry for the huuuuge bump, but I really want to know what's the deal with these shadows. In that screenshot jje1000 posted there's a clear difference in the shadow fade distance between vanilla and using that lighting mod. I'm personally using the 5.0 version of Environment Lighting Tweaks but my shadows still fade away like usual when zooming in.

Is there any value or setting connected to this? I know of GraphicsRules.sgr, which might contain options for this, and maybe I could modify the XMLs in the lighting mod, but isn't it really weird that there's a difference to be made at all? I can't imagine the way these shadows work is 100% intentional.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Inventor
#10 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 4:06 PM
To implement a shadow mapping algorithm you need to perform several expensive geometric transformations like camera translations, rotations, depth test, etc. Usually those things are compiled in the shader to improve performance, so I don't think a simple tuning will make any difference.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 12:58 AM
I think they messed up- the engine can support lots of shadows (the ones in map view), but has a limit for the more detailed shadows in gameplay mode.

They should have blended the two together better, imo. Detailed shadows for close up objects, and low-red shadows for far away ones.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 7:49 AM
I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but I was hoping someone found a way to prevent the shadows from fading? I really don't like it. I've downloaded the lighting tweak mods but as mentioned it still fades.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#14 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 9:43 AM
That's so weird. To my knowledge, I haven't had this issue yet. Or I have but never saw it. I'm using some 4k shadow mod. I'm not sure if that would have fixed it? I can't really tell since I haven't experienced the issue myself.

Here is the 4k shadow mod: http://anime-boom-v.tumblr.com/post...s-in-the-sims-3
Field Researcher
#15 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 1:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
That's so weird. To my knowledge, I haven't had this issue yet. Or I have but never saw it. I'm using some 4k shadow mod. I'm not sure if that would have fixed it? I can't really tell since I haven't experienced the issue myself.

Here is the 4k shadow mod: http://anime-boom-v.tumblr.com/post...s-in-the-sims-3

Ooooo nice! Thank you @Greenplumbbob!
Field Researcher
#17 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 3:54 AM
It didn't fix it at all for me. I used both lighting tweaks and it didn't fix it, but the shadows do look better. However, it still fades.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 4:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
The dynamic shadow mod stretches the shadows, so the stretched shadows will overcome the fading "on certain angles of certain days." It doesn't actually eliminate the fading itself.

This has been a long problem for quite some time. It should be as easily fixed as the "fade object" trigger, but I guess modders just can't find the code.

Or maybe no is trying? This is the only thread I've seen about the shadows fading.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 4:33 AM
I don't know why this bothers me sooo much now. I never really paid attention to it until now. I realized the graphics would look so much better if we had the full effect of the shadows. I wonder what else is played down in TS3.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 6:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Then I guess I shouldn't mention the lack of multi-floor outdoor light?

Yes I'm aware of that. I've made a thread on that in the Sims Forums. I hate that the light cuts off on each level as well as the lot it self.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#23 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 11:11 AM
I'm wondering, looking at the files of what could show why. It seems for different graphics card the shadows will either be rendered by default, or won't be rendered at all (As you might know, a sims 3 game that runs on a really low-end computer, will not look great and won't have great textures and shadows at all.)

Now looking to what the game considers my graphics card to be, which is a 'lowmedium' by default. I've noticed that the highest level for the RenderShadowMode is 4 going to 0 for the lowest graphics card. Mine is apparently set as 2. so I guess 4 is for 'uber'. So maybe it's the difference between a lowmedium graphics card and a high-uber graphics card's shadowrender system?

I got the information from the graphicsrules.sgr
Site Helper
#24 Old 24th Aug 2016 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goodywood
Yes I'm aware of that. I've made a thread on that in the Sims Forums. I hate that the light cuts off on each level as well as the lot it self.

This actually bothers me more than the shadows. A large pool of light that is cut in half by a lot edge just looks stupid.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Page 1 of 3