Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Drop a copy of that lot as it is now into the Lots bin. If your changes make it worse, bulldoze and replace with the lot from the bin. If it's better, drop that one into the bin as well.

I do that, but even then I can't trust myself to do it right. For example, a while back I had two apartments. One decorated to look like the 1980s, one decorated to look like the near future, the 20s/30s. I binned the 80s one before I changed it into the 20s/30s one, but then I forgot I did and built a whole lobby, plaza and underground parking garage appropriate to the 80s version. So now the saved 80s version is useless.

And this is my second biggest problem with TS3's Build Mode. In TS4, you could just copy and paste the whole apartment into another lot. The first is that you can't place binned lots on lot sizes smaller than the original. I HATE THAT SO MUCH.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
The first is that you can't place binned lots on lot sizes smaller than the original. I HATE THAT SO MUCH.

There's been a few times where I plopped down a 60x60 lot, built a house just to try it out, actually became happy with the result but realised I'd have to rebuild it from scratch on a more fitting lot size.

feelsbadman.jpg

Edit: My other bad habit is that I also like coming up with ideas and concepts, meticulously planning them, then quickly abandoning them for another idea. I've got, like, ten different world ideas ranging from small English village to a large city to a wasteland.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#28 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Edit: My other bad habit is that I also like coming up with ideas and concepts, meticulously planning them, then quickly abandoning them for another idea. I've got, like, ten different world ideas ranging from small English village to a large city to a wasteland.

I have that with mods. A shortlist of mods I'll never end up finishing (or starting):

- *Vaporwave-inspired paintings
- *Comprehensive range of stylish, masculine attire for women
- *Comprehensive range of tasteful 1980s/late 2010s fashions
- *ReShade filters for every decade >1930s
- *Yomoshoto Evasion, model year 2011 facelift (2+4-door version)
- *Flat design UI overhaul
- TS4 to TS3 soundtrack conversion
- Amsterdam city hall & opera rabbit hole (this one)

* I should point out that I have at least some sort of progress on these, as in, I've at least put some time into it and I'm most likely using these in-game already.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#29 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 2:00 AM
Amsterdam Opera is nice. I want to do the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion for a theater rabbit hole or something.

The problem is when I see some sort of building I want to create is that they're usually too different to put in the same world without it looking like a weird mess of architectural styles. You can kind of get an eclectic feel with some, like having modern styles among old pre-war buildings without it getting too tangled, but trying to have old Victorian styles, 70's brutalism, and Spanish Colonial Revival on the same street looks bizarre.

So I'll randomly go between wanting to do some Urbzville world or a small coastal town so they'll fit but then that becomes too much effort so ehh. No idea how people do worlds and actually do them so well. Landscapes, maps, buildings, sims. A lot of effort and skill are required.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#30 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 2:43 AM
Yeah, that's nice. Bit of 50s/60s architecture. I like the glass facade thing they had going on back then, and it reminds me of the Eindhoven train station. Certainly less bland than my Stopera here - though I think it could look even better than yours, if done well.

The problem is when I see some sort of building I want to create is that they're usually too different to put in the same world without it looking like a weird mess of architectural styles. You can kind of get an eclectic feel with some, like having modern styles among old pre-war buildings without it getting too tangled, but trying to have old Victorian styles, 70's brutalism, and Spanish Colonial Revival on the same street looks bizarre.

It's worse than that - in my Bridgeport I have skyscraper rabbit holes and shells from Late Night, Into the Future and Roaring Heights, and none of them match. They all have different art styles, the nighttime lighting is inconsistent, and the scaling isn't completely right either. I can only just about tolerate it.

But I do wonder why nobody's ever made a custom rabbit hole - with a new mesh, I mean. Is it simply because it's not easy, or is there something else?

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#31 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 2:49 AM
Instead of making a family and have them establish relationships with each other and other sims in town, I limit myself to one "Mary Sue" sim and make her (It's always a her) artificially popular with the entire town.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 4:04 AM
1. Skipping the baby stage
2. Not allowing sims that I'm attached to to age. Like...this got so bad that one of my sims' younger siblings all died of old age while he was still a child XD

The Receptacle still lives!
Scholar
#33 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 9:43 AM
Yeah, that's nice. Bit of 50s/60s architecture. I like the glass facade thing they had going on back then, and it reminds me of the Eindhoven train station. Certainly less bland than my Stopera here - though I think it could look even better than yours, if done well.

On the topic of hella sweet train stations, Antwerpen Centraal is extremely my shit. I'd liek to recreate it. IDK how it'll function, either only having the concourse be explorable and putting down a subway rabbithole or just converting it into a shopping mall or something.

Not that it really matters, my dudes. Project will be abandoned, like, two walls in.

It's worse than that - in my Bridgeport I have skyscraper rabbit holes and shells from Late Night, Into the Future and Roaring Heights, and none of them match. They all have different art styles, the nighttime lighting is inconsistent, and the scaling isn't completely right either. I can only just about tolerate it.

But I do wonder why nobody's ever made a custom rabbit hole - with a new mesh, I mean. Is it simply because it's not easy, or is there something else?

Yeah most of the worlds, besides a few of the expansion ones, are very theme specific. ITF is too sci-fi for even modern styles. I've never seen custom rabbit holes or shells though, i figured they were too difficult to make and most people were fine with using cheats to make skyscrapers or the rugs to make a rabbithole.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#34 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 11:40 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 9th Apr 2017 at 8:06 PM. Reason: The Paleis voor Volksvlijt is beautiful
On the topic of hella sweet train stations, Antwerpen Centraal is extremely my shit. I'd liek to recreate it. IDK how it'll function, either only having the concourse be explorable and putting down a subway rabbithole or just converting it into a shopping mall or something.

Hmm, yes. The building's coolest feature, I think, is the fact that it's a triple decked station. Also reminds me of the beautiful Paleis voor Volksvlijt in Amsterdam, which unfortunately burnt down in 1929. I feel like Rotterdam Centraal could also kind of work with copious amounts of CC and some build mode CC...and if it doesn't, there's always the boxy, shiny Delftse Poort towers right next to it.

But like you said, not with this attitude.
[/off topic]
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
2. Not allowing sims that I'm attached to to age. Like...this got so bad that one of my sims' younger siblings all died of old age while he was still a child XD

My Sims age in real time.

insert signature here
Scholar
#35 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 11:48 AM
I've never seen custom rabbit holes or shells though, i figured they were too difficult to make and most people were fine with using cheats to make skyscrapers or the rugs to make a rabbithole.

I know some custom worlds that include their own rabbithole/shells. Bridgewood (Suburban) and Amberville (Desert-y area) have their own. I don't know how they were made, but they look good and were made to fit the theme.
Site Helper
#36 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 5:20 PM

This is bad? (In sims 2 I had a sim going to college with the grandchildren of his younger sister. And the grandkids were older.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#37 Old 9th Apr 2017 at 11:08 PM
This is bad? (In sims 2 I had a sim going to college with the grandchildren of his younger sister. And the grandkids were older.)

I used to consider it bad until I invented a little headcanon for my Sim games. Basically, as far as my Sims know, aging isn't something that just naturally happens over time like in real life. Its something that happens completely at random. Some people live a quick but full life, others watch two or three generations go by before they even reach adulthood, let alone die of old age. Its something Sim science has yet to find a logical explanation for but they've all pretty much just accepted that that's life for them

Mad Poster
#38 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 1:53 AM

When I was still getting used to TS2 I realized I had to play a household in order for them to age. I had elders with parents still in the adult stage. :D

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#39 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 2:01 PM
I used to consider it bad until I invented a little headcanon for my Sim games. Basically, as far as my Sims know, aging isn't something that just naturally happens over time like in real life. Its something that happens completely at random. Some people live a quick but full life, others watch two or three generations go by before they even reach adulthood, let alone die of old age. Its something Sim science has yet to find a logical explanation for but they've all pretty much just accepted that that's life for them

My Sims age like normal people, because they are literally normal people. Everything about them is identical to real people, so they age naturally too. In The Sims, there is no clear passage of time, but there obviously is in my The Sims. My plan is to ultimately have 4 different saves, each with the same Sims, but at different points in time. A summary:
- 2012-2017, Sims are young adults
- 2008, Sims are in their late teens
- 1988, Sims are infants so I play with their parents
- 2029, Sims are in their 40s

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#40 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 5:27 PM
Getting so absorbed in gameplay that I forget to frequently save the game. Then I find out the hard way why that's a bad idea.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Theorist
#41 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 7:07 PM
Habit #1: my sims always hire a butler to watch the kids 24\7. I like kids, but I don't like taking care of them. Even in a game.

Habit #2: I enjoy playing poor sims much more than rich ones. E.g. Polly Maloney in Bridgeport. Maybe it strikes closer home, after all, in my country I could never afford to buy a house (or even a small apartment), so all sims who have no problem with it look super rich to me. Playing poor sims make them feel more realistic, even though they earn way too much money to be realistic
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#42 Old 10th Apr 2017 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
Habit #2: I enjoy playing poor sims much more than rich ones. E.g. Polly Maloney in Bridgeport.

That's weird, because she's been dead for 6 years. Or at least in my game.

insert signature here
Scholar
#43 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 12:24 AM
Playing poor sims is fun and a better challenge though, even if half the challenge is actually keeping them poor since the game will go out of its way to make you rich.

Other bad habit of mine: Aging: Off. Open world: Off. I am a god and none of my sims will do anything without my say so.

Mad Poster
#44 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 2:13 AM
Other bad habit of mine: Aging: Off. Open world: Off. I am a god and none of my sims will do anything without my say so.

That's a bad habit? That's pretty much how I've always played. It's why I made up that little aging headcanon of mine in the first place. I'm a fucking control freak when it comes to the Sims

Bad building habit: Building houses that were originally meant to be small but...well shit happens. Long story short, I have some very well off sims even though most of them weren't meant to be

Another bad building habit: Not planning out my houses before I build them. Every time I do that I always end up with houses with horrible exteriors (just built a boathouse last week. The inside was lovely but the outside made me wanna vomit antifreeze) or with layouts that are extremely similar to other houses that I built without planning. It's usually very hard for me to make nice and unique looking houses unless I plan things out in advance. I'm just not a "spur of the moment" builder at all XD

Scholar
#45 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 4:30 AM
That's a bad habit? That's pretty much how I've always played. It's why I made up that little aging headcanon of mine in the first place. I'm a fucking control freak when it comes to the Sims

A lil' bit of omnipotent power never hurt anyone.

"You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God."

Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 7:03 AM Last edited by r_deNoube : 11th Apr 2017 at 7:19 AM.
Not Simming enough. That's probably my worst one.

Second-worst is hitting Pause to take screenshots from eleventy-eight camera angles. Mind you, I only do this when Sims do something especially photogenic or cute. But you know how it is with Sims and cuteness.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#47 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 12:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
Second-worst is hitting Pause to take screenshots from eleventy-eight camera angles. Mind you, I only do this when Sims do something especially photogenic or cute. But you know how it is with Sims and cuteness.

I do this when my Sims do anything.

insert signature here
Theorist
#48 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 7:23 PM
I have trouble making screenshots. I get too engrossed in the game and forget. That's why I could never post any sim story or legacy for others: even if I remember to take pictures in the beginning I would soon forget about it
Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 9:28 PM
I can't not take pictures. Am I turning into my father?

Or... maybe I'm turning into Max Caulfield? But I can only Pause, not actually Rewind like she does. Which ties back to why I keep lots of saved games.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#50 Old 11th Apr 2017 at 9:38 PM
I take so many screenshots that I never actually get to play the game. It's true, my Sim days take like a month in real time. I have to play like 60 hours to get a single Sim day over with.

insert signature here
Page 2 of 9