Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 3rd May 2017 at 10:13 PM Last edited by Alliehalliexo : 3rd May 2017 at 11:39 PM.
It's very noticeable with the change from day to night.

(Now that I think about it, it literally reminds me of a topographical map)
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 3rd May 2017 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alliehalliexo
It's very noticeable with the change from day to night.

Exactly. But strangely enough, I didn't have a single screenshot of it.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Site Helper
#28 Old 4th May 2017 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Exactly. But strangely enough, I didn't have a single screenshot of it.

That is not so strange. It's rare to take a picture of something when your reason to take the picture is simply that you do not enjoy looking at the subject of the picture.

Edit: Or was I being too literal-minded again?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#29 Old 4th May 2017 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
That is not so strange. It's rare to take a picture of something when your reason to take the picture is simply that you do not enjoy looking at the subject of the picture.
Edit: Or was I being too literal-minded again?

I tend to.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 12:25 PM
Anyone notice color banding when entering create a sims. Skip to 0:20 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtaLSPqJQ6Y

I ask because my old monitor which was Crossover 2763AMG 8 bit + FRC (simulate 10 bit) 1440p IPS panel don't have these problem. Now I switch to Dell S2716DG 8 bit without FRC 1440p TN panel and I face color banding. It is everywhere from create a sims , lightning on the wall , banding in the sky etc. So I want to ask peoples is this normal ? I think my old monitor don't have banding because dithering is already integrated into monitor ?

Currnetly I use Reshade Deband to deal with banding but it introduce another issues like small detail loss and flickering from temporal dithering. So this is not perfect solution.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#31 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 12:34 PM
My CAS looks completely different to that, so I can't compare, but it does look a bit colour bandy to me.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 12:54 PM
My CAS looks completely different to that, so I can't compare, but it does look a bit colour bandy to me.

Your color transition is smooth ? Can you tell me what is your GPU and monitor ?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#33 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 2:23 PM
No, I mean it actually looks completely different.

GPU is two GTX 1070s and the monitor is two Samsung C24FG70s.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 2:40 PM

I mean color transition in loading screen of your create a sims / household.

Nvidia GPU (at least with GeForce) don't use dithering by default and don't have option to enable or disable dithering in Windows (but there is an option in Linux). Your monitor is like mine. 8 bit without FRC but factory gamma is 2.2 so you will see banding only in some case.

There is a petition / feedback to Nvidia for adding support dithering in Windows but seem that they are ignore us. Unlike AMD which enabled dithering in driver by default and can't turn off unless modify some registries.
Forum Resident
#35 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 12:45 AM
Me too I got this and even dark colour appears odd even dark skintones etc I don't know what to do .
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucieSims
Me too I got this and even dark colour appears odd even dark skintones etc I don't know what to do .

Google for Reshade Deband.

Beware that it is not plug and play. You need to test several times before you get the best result.
dodgy builder
#37 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 1:07 AM
I haven't been paing attention in this thread. It looks to me like you have replaced banding with motion blur. Since I started this bachelor in 3d graphis I also learned that there is something called Banding. I would have tried a bit less motion blur though, it*s just a bit much. Something in between would be nice.

Mad Poster
#38 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 1:33 AM
If it's mainly a problem with screenshots (not actually ingame), the color banding may be mostly due to bad JPG compression (the issue shown is a very common problem with JPGs since they compress via pixellating areas with similar colors). It's been a problem since TS2 - the screenshots may look alright when taken, but if looking closer you see the crappy result. Using a screenshot program that can handle other formats (PNG, Tiff, BMP) may help, because most of those formats don't compress in the same way as JPGs.

If it's a problem in gameplay (I can't check - my TS3 game hasn't worked for a while), keep in mind that most of the textures used in TS3 are on the smaller side. The game engine suffers from quite a lot of other problems too, so I wouldn't be surprised if color banding or other artefacts from textures or shaders are common problems. Your graphic card may also have a say in the rendering process, and of course which settings you've chosen for the game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#39 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 10:27 AM
It has nothing to do with screenshots. The effect often seems more, not less, noticeable in-game. And of course, textures are horribly compressed too. You've seen the artifacts on Sims and their outfits.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 1:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If it's mainly a problem with screenshots (not actually ingame), the color banding may be mostly due to bad JPG compression (the issue shown is a very common problem with JPGs since they compress via pixellating areas with similar colors). It's been a problem since TS2 - the screenshots may look alright when taken, but if looking closer you see the crappy result. Using a screenshot program that can handle other formats (PNG, Tiff, BMP) may help, because most of those formats don't compress in the same way as JPGs.

If it's a problem in gameplay (I can't check - my TS3 game hasn't worked for a while), keep in mind that most of the textures used in TS3 are on the smaller side. The game engine suffers from quite a lot of other problems too, so I wouldn't be surprised if color banding or other artefacts from textures or shaders are common problems. Your graphic card may also have a say in the rendering process, and of course which settings you've chosen for the game.

I have been play Sims 3 since 2010 but I never notice color banding before due to either my monitors or GPUs or both have some form of dithering. I am a long time AMD GPU user and at that time paired with 8 bit + FRC IPS monitor so color banding is never happen.

The problem come when I paired Nvidia GPU with 8 bit without FRC TN monitor. Nvidia doesn't support dithering in Windows like AMD (but they did in Linux). Also TN cannot hide color banding as effectively as IPS monitor. When I connect Nvidia to 8 bit + FRC IPS there is no banding.

However my 8 bit TN isn't that bad in others game. Banding is unnoticeable even if I try to concentrate and look for it. The problem is The Sims 3 itself.

This is extremely terrible...

Reshade Deband come to rescue. I try it in other games and it work well. With good configuration all banding from game engine is eliminated such as banding in the sky in Witcher 3 or GTA V and there is no detail loss. But in Sims 3 no matter that I try there will be detail loss and flickering (cause eye strain) which other games don't have this problem.
Page 2 of 2