Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 11:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Nope.⁣⁣⁣

You lied to me OP. I'll remember this.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 11:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by floopyboo
When I got sims2 I thought that if I left my household unpaused they would continue living without me playing them. So for me, sims3's open world is super important, the single thing that means I will never buy sims4 and probably won't go back to sims2, even though I loved the game.

The fridge shopping in sims3 is super important for people like me who didn't realise in sims2 that the fridge could run out of food. I don't remember where I found the mod that allowed fridge shopping for sims2, but I do remember that it was one of the first mods I got. In fact, I think most of the mods I got for sims2 were pretty much included as features in sims 3.

Don't get me wrong, I have a LOT of complaints about sims3. But you'll pry the game from my cold, dead hands before I give it up.

Now if anyone is interested, I have the complete collection of the sims2, all eps & sps, as well as the PRIMA guide, and the base game is one of the xmas specials ones. Make me an offer ($AUD, plus postage)

If you have any sims 2 games guys, just go to origin/ea customer service and tell them and request the ultimate collection, and they will most likely give it to you, even tho the offer has passed. I had only the base game and I asked EA very politely if they could supply the ultimate collection and they gave the whole thing to me, for free.

Oh btw, the ultimate collection includes every expansion, stuff pack, legit everything. So that was a helpful hint to y'all
Thank me later
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 12:35 PM
Despite SOME people's aggression on this thread, I am going to continue with the original purpose of this thread. To rant about ts3. Now trust me, I love sims 3 so much and in fact, it's my fav game of the whole franchise, but it had some glaring flaws.

1). The sims actually looked like potatoes
No offense, but the sims in ts3 were sorta not the best looking and it was hard for me to make sims without cc as they look like they were crushed in a blender.

2). The dreaded error code 12
After prolonged gaming, you decided to save your family, which you have played for 3 hours, who now have a kid and have leveled up to the top of their careers. I mean they can't lose those achievements, right? WRONG! The dreaded error code 12 pops up and you have no option but to quit your game without saving and losing all your hard work. How unfortunate.

3). Families moving away
Oh were you best friends with Bella Bachelor and thought you could never be separated? Well guess what? Due to story progression, sim households you haven't played can move away without your permission. This was super annoying as PRE-mades you actually liked decided to completely erase themselves from the game.

Rant over
I know all these problems can be fixed by mods and fixes, but this is my little rant and don't go hating on me for it.
Keep your plumbobs shining bright!
Xoxo
Mad Poster
#54 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 12:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by floopyboo
Now if anyone is interested, I have the complete collection of the sims2, all eps & sps, as well as the PRIMA guide, and the base game is one of the xmas specials ones. Make me an offer ($AUD, plus postage)

Don't tempt me! Please, my poor wallet!

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 12:46 PM
What was your fav expansion from ts3?
Mine was Island Paradise
Mad Poster
#56 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 12:52 PM
I've always been partial to Into The Future. Couldn't really care less about Island Paradise.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 12:59 PM
I hated into the future. It ruined my game (made it laggy slow and buggy) and it always crashed because of it. It is also pretty pointless as there's not much you can do and although it sounds exciting, it really isn't. My fav packs are pets, seasons, island paradise and supernatural.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 1:05 PM
Pets added no new gameplay I was interested in, nor did Seasons, and Supernatural was pretty much a waste of space, time and money. I've had to get mods to get rid of all the unnecessary stuff these packs forced upon my game. And Into The Future shouldn't affect your performance, that's Island Paradise's job.
First off, Pets adds strays and wild animals. Lame I had a pet once, then never cared about it again.
Seasons add weather, which is only a good thing when I want there to be weather (which is never). It also adds aliens, which also suck.
Island Paradise adds the resorts, which are pretty cool, and the houseboats which are pretty cool too, but the rest of it is completely lost on me.
Supernatural adds nothing. It's a complete bunch of shit. I had a fairy once and then she died. The end. Zombies can fuck off.
The only packs I've found myself using the new gameplay from multiple times are, from most to least used: Late Night, World Adventures, Ambitions, Into The Future, and University Life.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 1:11 PM
Seasons added so much gameplay!! Like for starters, SEASONS, and how the Central Park became like a parade or something. I always would visit it to try all the new activities and to win stuff.
Into the future doesn't add anything too exciting, and also the furniture from the pack is just plain tacky.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 1:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wow-Princess
Seasons added so much gameplay!! Like for starters, SEASONS, and how the Central Park became like a parade or something. I always would visit it to try all the new activities and to win stuff.
Into the future doesn't add anything too exciting, and also the furniture from the pack is just plain tacky.

You think the ultramodern furniture from ITF is tacky, but you think the seasonal lots from Seasons are okay? Sure....
Also, I don't know if you've ever had a Sim abducted by aliens, but that one time was enough for me to start sacrificing aliens to Cthulu in a systematic, Satanic Sim ritual. Fucking green creeps deserved it.
And who'd want there NOT to be clear skies and sun every day?

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 1:29 PM
Haha I get your point, my sim once almost died from lightning (lol ) and the aliens were nasty little creatures, but idk I loved it lol. Some of the furniture was tacky, but others were not (seasons). I feel like into the future was a little rushed, as it could've been made better. If it had been, I would of loved it as I love the idea of time travel. I just feel it was an afterthought in ts3.
Scholar
#62 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 1:33 PM
Sure, when I compared TS3 loading times , I was comparing it with Tetris Classic As for loading once? Only if you dont have a lot of CC, or otherwise you will get slow loading times everytime you switch category in CAS. But, maybe you stop noticing this if you don't play other modern games.

Crusader Kings 2 (incl DLC), Europa Universalis 4 (incl DLC), GTA5 , Witcher 3 (incl DLC), recent MMORPG's including expansions, just some examples of games that load a lot faster. TS3 is not that complex anymore compared to some other modern games. It is just an unoptimized mess and I can understand why the OP got annoyed with those loading times.

TS3 is far from perfect and you can expect that new players might get (imo understandably) annoyed about how bad it runs out of the box if you install several expansions.

Sure, the OP was ranting and for a large part about things that are simply done differently compared to TS2. But I agree with the OP that TS3 loading times are ridiculous. Modded Minecraft for example can be longer, but then it's basegame is tiny compared to a decent modpack and the complete result is basically hold together with ductape and strings. TS3 is supposed to be a professional job though :/ It is also one of the few games I know where community made mods are quite needed to optimise and prevent savegame bloating. It is that bad. (Still my favourite sims, but not because of how it runs).

TS3 is a great game, but a shitty piece of software! There, I said it! It is the first step on the road of recovery
Theorist
#63 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 1:38 PM
That is completely true.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
Sure, when I compared TS3 loading times , I was comparing it with Tetris Classic As for loading once? Only if you dont have a lot of CC, or otherwise you will get slow loading times everytime you switch category in CAS. But, maybe you stop noticing this if you don't play other modern games.

Crusader Kings 2 (incl DLC), Europa Universalis 4 (incl DLC), GTA5 , Witcher 3 (incl DLC), recent MMORPG's including expansions, just some examples of games that load a lot faster. TS3 is not that complex anymore compared to some other modern games. It is just an unoptimized mess and I can understand why the OP got annoyed with those loading times.

TS3 is far from perfect and you can expect that new players might get (imo understandably) annoyed about how bad it runs out of the box if you install several expansions.

Sure, the OP was ranting and for a large part about things that are simply done differently compared to TS2. But I agree with the OP that TS3 loading times are ridiculous. Modded Minecraft for example can be longer, but then it's basegame is tiny compared to a decent modpack and the complete result is basically hold together with ductape and strings. TS3 is supposed to be a professional job though :/ It is also one of the few games I know where community made mods are quite needed to optimise and prevent savegame bloating. It is that bad. (Still my favourite sims, but not because of how it runs).

TS3 is a great game, but a shitty piece of software! There, I said it! It is the first step on the road of recovery

I agree! I love it so much, but the load times are not fair for a professionally done game. I guess it's worth it tho for open world...
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 2:57 PM
No offense, but the sims in ts3 were sorta not the best looking and it was hard for me to make sims without cc as they look like they were crushed in a blender.

After prolonged gaming, you decided to save your family, which you have played for 3 hours, who now have a kid and have leveled up to the top of their careers. I mean they can't lose those achievements, right? WRONG! The dreaded error code 12 pops up and you have no option but to quit your game without saving and losing all your hard work. How unfortunate.

3). Families moving away
Oh were you best friends with Bella Bachelor and thought you could never be separated? Well guess what? Due to story progression, sim households you haven't played can move away without your permission. This was super annoying as PRE-mades you actually liked decided to completely erase themselves from the game.

1. I hate this argument. It's all so subjective, but in my opinion they look better a lot than any other game. I don't even use CC and I have no problems making my sims look both unique and attractive, if I want them to be attractive. TS2 had the issue of certain presets meshing poorly with each other. Easy enough to avoid if you know what's happening while you're in CAS, but very annoying when it results in monstrous children. Meanwhile TS4 has clay for hair. Those sims shouldn't be winning any beauty contests.
3. Turn SP off. No mod needed. In the long run it'll hardly do anything you won't be better off doing yourself. Unless for some reason you really enjoy having an endless supply of pudding.

I agree with nitromon. You shouldn't expect anything called 'X: A hate-filled Rant' to be very popular, especially by people who happen to like X. If the OP had chosen to rant about issues that actually existed he may have had a more positive response too.
Honestly, I find the TS3 community to be the most understanding of all of them. We admit this game is a flawed, buggy disaster that hates every one us, but we love it anyway. I think TS3 players are a lot more likely to admit the many, many things wrong with their game than players of 2 or 4.
Scholar
#66 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 3:25 PM
I actually agree that The Sims 3's sims can look like 'potatoes'. I would have never thought of it that way, but I'll stick with it.

When I first got the game I was always bothered by how ridiculously wide their faces are. One of NRAAS's mods came with an unlocked ability to make the heads much, much thinner and I use it a lot.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Alchemist
#67 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl

This is the most accurate description of TS3 I've seen, really.

Now trust me, I love sims 3 so much and in fact, it's my fav game of the whole franchise, but it had some glaring flaws.
3). Families moving away

To be fair, since I upgraded to Windows 10 + 8GB of RAM I haven't had error 12 at all, even playing for multiple in-game days and building and CASt-ing a lot, with other programs like Photoshop and Firefox open. Some things are half game programming, half player-side. And I think the default EA skins are too lacking in detail/definition to even be considered cartoonish; they just look incomplete to me, or like the sims are covered in super thick foundation that removes any natural creases and shadows. The families moving away thing, I agree with; I'm still partially salty after the one time I was eying a sim for marriage and he packed up and moved away.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Mad Poster
#68 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
To be fair, since I upgraded to Windows 10 + 8GB of RAM I haven't had error 12 at all, even playing for multiple in-game days and building and CASt-ing a lot, with other programs like Photoshop and Firefox open. Some things are half game programming, half player-side. And I think the default EA skins are too lacking in detail/definition to even be considered cartoonish; they just look incomplete to me, or like the sims are covered in super thick foundation that removes any natural creases and shadows. The families moving away thing, I agree with; I'm still partially salty after the one time I was eying a sim for marriage and he packed up and moved away.

Same thing for me, though I always try to be as careful as possible with running other programs. I learned my lesson not to leave everything open when playing, and to keep Task Manager open on the second screen so I can monitor the (sometimes worryingly high) memory usage.
That was essential when I had 4 gigs of RAM, and still quite important when I had 8. Now that I have 16 it's not a big concern, but I still try to keep things reasonable.

insert signature here
Alchemist
#69 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Same thing for me, though I always try to be as careful as possible with running other programs. I learned my lesson not to leave everything open when playing, and to keep Task Manager open on the second screen so I can monitor the (sometimes worryingly high) memory usage.
That was essential when I had 4 gigs of RAM, and still quite important when I had 8. Now that I have 16 it's not a big concern, but I still try to keep things reasonable.

It's good management, really: while I haven't been monitoring the game past testing some pieces of CC with Process Monitor, I have noticed it using about 2-300MB more than before. And it's still running smoothly because I haven't gone overboard with CC. It would be fantastic if TS3 only read and actively referenced CC that was actually used in the active world instead of every package in the folder.

And I only open Photoshop when I need to edit something on the spot, because that too can take up enough memory for the game to start lagging.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Top Secret Researcher
#70 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 6:46 PM
And CK 2 even *plays* fast again, now. (The game slowed down immensely when they added India, and has only become what I'd call playable again in the last year, when they made some major speed tweaks. Yes, it's a 2012 game still under active development.)

I don't mind my Sims 3 load time, because it's much shorter than my Sims 2 load times (the latter could be 20-30 minutes; I'm a CC addict). It's all relative.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#71 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 7:47 PM
Into The Future single-handedly ruined my longest running and most entertaining save I had in Isla Paradiso. 70 weeks gone in an instant
Shortly after, Into The Future ruined my game in Lucky Palms. I still got script errors from a Plumbot that isn't even in the game anymore and then I made the mistake of learning bot building without travelling to the future; got an opportunity to travel there, cancelled it but the Time Traveler spawned regardless and then the save went haywire. Annihilated the Time Traveler and continued to have issues and script errors, now related to the missing Time Traveler in addition to the still absent robot.

While IP added the dreaded boat routing which can play havoc with several worlds it doesn't add a lot of background processes. ITF, on the other hand, does. A lot. And it broke the opportunities system and changed general routing quite substantially.
Mad Poster
#72 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 7:48 PM
I've never seen or heard of any of this, honestly.

insert signature here
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#73 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 7:56 PM
ITF constantly monitors your families' progress, just in case you travel there in order to calculate the status of your descendants. It's a continuous process. And once you get the Almanac you'll notice directly.
Mad Poster
#74 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 7:58 PM
I usually let the ITF intro event thingy with Doc Brown do it's thing when I start a new household, but I've never noticed any differences afterwards.

insert signature here
Page 3 of 5