Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 22nd May 2018 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Since load time is brought up, I noticed that if each fullbuild.package from each individual The Sims 3 [EP/SP]\GameData\Shared\Packages directory is moved to the The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages directory it speeds up load time, as doing that then allows game to load most of the game content from the same folder instead of searching for it in 20 different folders.

How did you find that out? And how did you move the fullbuild packages into the BG directory? I will have to try this out. Thank you for letting everyone know about this.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#52 Old 22nd May 2018 at 7:41 PM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 22nd May 2018 at 8:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by magdalenepoet
How did you find that out? And how did you move the fullbuild packages into the BG directory? I will have to try this out. Thank you for letting everyone know about this.

What I did since it would take me quite a while to open all the folders then cut and paste all the fullbuild packages in the base game directory is by putting in fullbuild in the search bar and in no time the computer found all the fullbuild packages located in the Sims 3 folder then I cut and paste them all to the base game folder,that method saved me a bunch of time and patience and he found that out by looking in the game files,he said so on post 50. I think it improved the load times as well. I finally got Isla Paradiso loaded up without all the overheating.
Theorist
#53 Old 22nd May 2018 at 8:05 PM
While we’re on the subject, I removed 10 gb of unnecessary files from the install folders. There’s things like multiple .exe’s and foreign language documents that simply don’t need to be there. 10gb!
I don’t know if it speeds anything up, haven’t tested that. I’ll put instructions up here if anyone wants them.

Also, thanks Harvee, I’m gonna try that what you said.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#54 Old 22nd May 2018 at 8:19 PM
The .world files for each EP can also be moved from their individual The Sims 3 [EP]\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds directories and put into the The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds directory and be loaded by the game perfectly fine. I haven't done enough testing to determine if this makes a difference when loading a world however.

Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
While we’re on the subject, I removed 10 gb of unnecessary files from the install folders. There’s things like multiple .exe’s and foreign language documents that simply don’t need to be there. 10gb!
I don’t know if it speeds anything up, haven’t tested that. I’ll put instructions up here if anyone wants them.

I'm not sure if removing the EP/SP executables will really make much of a difference for loading times as they're never loaded or launched. Which really begs the question as to why EA spent time compiling them. Removing them though could be worthwhile if you're low on HDD space. What locale files did you remove? I'd love to put this game on a diet.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Field Researcher
#55 Old 22nd May 2018 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
What I did since it would take me quite a while to open all the folders then cut and paste all the fullbuild packages in the base game directory is by putting in fullbuild in the search bar and in no time the computer found all the fullbuild packages located in the Sims 3 folder then I cut and paste them all to the base game folder,that method saved me a bunch of time and patience and he found that out by looking in the game files,he said so on post 50. I think it improved the load times as well. I finally got Isla Paradiso loaded up without all the overheating.

Thanks for the tip. Glad to hear that you got Isla Paradiso loaded without it overheating; I have had problems with overheating with TS3 too.
Field Researcher
#56 Old 22nd May 2018 at 10:11 PM

Also, thanks Harvee, I’m gonna try that what you said.

Please put up the instructions on how to remove the unnecessary files from the install folders. I would like to try doing that myself, and see if it speeds TS3 up. Thanks for letting everyone know about this!
Field Researcher
#57 Old 22nd May 2018 at 10:14 PM
The .world files for each EP can also be moved from their individual The Sims 3 [EP]\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds directories and put into the The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds directory and be loaded by the game perfectly fine. I haven't done enough testing to determine if this makes a difference when loading a world however.

I'm not sure if removing the EP/SP executables will really make much of a difference for loading times as they're never loaded or launched. Which really begs the question as to why EA spent time compiling them. Removing them though could be worthwhile if you're low on HDD space. What locale files did you remove? I'd love to put this game on a diet.

Thanks HarVee!

And I agree with you about putting TS3 on a diet!
Scholar
Original Poster
#58 Old 22nd May 2018 at 10:24 PM
Thanks for the tip. Glad to hear that you got Isla Paradiso loaded without it overheating; I have had problems with overheating with TS3 too.

I know exactly what you mean when you said that the world is unplayable. It freezes a lot while i'm trying to play it but at least my laptop isn't suffering with it anymore and I had yet to find a better alternative to it that's laptop friendly. I agree that this game needs to go on a serious diet.
Mad Poster
#59 Old 22nd May 2018 at 10:29 PM
I don't know if it needs to lose some of its file size, but it certainly needs to lose some of it's resource-hogging crap.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#60 Old 23rd May 2018 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
I know exactly what you mean when you said that the world is unplayable. It freezes a lot while i'm trying to play it but at least my laptop isn't suffering with it anymore and I had yet to find a better alternative to it that's laptop friendly. I agree that this game needs to go on a serious diet.

One website that offers Sims 3 worlds is My Sim Realty. If you have not been there, it is at http://www.mysimrealty.com/
Field Researcher
#61 Old 23rd May 2018 at 3:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I don't know if it needs to lose some of its file size, but it certainly needs to lose some of it's resource-hogging crap.

I agree with you; the resources definitely help slow down TS3, including its loading times.
Theorist
#62 Old 24th May 2018 at 6:40 PM Last edited by tizerist : 24th May 2018 at 8:40 PM.
Please put up the instructions on how to remove the unnecessary files from the install folders. I would like to try doing that myself, and see if it speeds TS3 up. Thanks for letting everyone know about this!

Ok. There really needs to be a sticky thread for this sort of thing, but anyway. Sorry for caps.

*As always, back up your files first*
REMOVALS
SIMS 3 BASE ONLY:
SIMS3\GAME\BIN\PACKS - DELETE ALL EXE'S

BASE \ EP \ SP INSTALL FOLDERS:
CACHES\SUNSETVALLEY [OR OTHER] OBJECT CACHE*
GAME\BIN\BIN FOLDER - LEAVE ONLY THE 'NO' FOLDER IN THERE
GAME\BIN\HELP PAGES - DELETE ALL EXCEPT COMMON
GAME\BIN\STATICPAGES - DeLETE ALL EXCEPT COMMON
GameData\Shared\NonPackaged - DELETE COLLECTIONS, LIBRARY AND WORLDS* FOLDERS
Support\EA Help - DELETE ALL EXCEPT THE HTML, THE GIF AND THE EN-UK FOLDER (or whatever your region is)
Support - DELETE EADM OR ORIGIN FOLDER

*optional, depends if you use those towns

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#63 Old 24th May 2018 at 7:08 PM Last edited by HarVee : 24th May 2018 at 7:42 PM.
Good stuff.

Ok. There really needs to be a sticky thread for this sort of thing, but anyway. Sorry for caps.

CACHES\SUNSETVALLEY [OR OTHER] OBJECT CACHE*

*optional, depends if you use those towns

General Tip: Deleting the cache for the default worlds will only cause the game to regenerate a cache when you next load that world, and without a cache file it'll take longer to load the world and lots because the game has to regenerate this cache. You won't save space from deleting the world caches if they manage to regenerate for your game, and you'll actually slow down the game if you plan to use the worlds you delete the cache(s) for.

One website that offers Sims 3 worlds is My Sim Realty. If you have not been there, it is at http://www.mysimrealty.com/

There is also CreateAWorldBlog which features a few exceptional pre-populated worlds including a TS3 Strangetown remake–one of my favourites.

Mad Poster
#64 Old 24th May 2018 at 7:38 PM
I just did many of the deletions but found that many of the EPs did not match this. Also, I kept en-us instead of en-uk as in the us and not the uk, and hope that is correct? Will fire up the game and see what happens. NO fireball in space in hope. (!)
Theorist
#65 Old 24th May 2018 at 7:43 PM
Hi daisy. what ones didn't match up?
Yeah the US one is the one you would keep then.

#BlairWitchPetition
Mad Poster
#66 Old 24th May 2018 at 7:55 PM Last edited by daisylee : 24th May 2018 at 8:35 PM.
Hi daisy. what ones didn't match up?
Yeah the US one is the one you would keep then.

The early EPs and base match this but they changed things at some point and there are no bins in the bins and so on for some of them for example. I am super tired but let me take one pic.

Can we delete the EULAs and read me items? I nuked some but will put them back if needed.

I am back: here is the bin for Seasons. It does not have any subfolders. So I did not touch any like this.
Will launch the game now and see what happens. See if I have blown it up or not? LOL (!)

EDIT: My game is totally messed up now. Worlds, saves, launcher, all are wrong now. Will start putting things back. Sigh.
EDIT: I put everything back except I am assuming are all the different languages. My game has been totally reset to as if I have never played. All saves are gone. All options reset to default. Had to redo all. Thank goodness there is zero crucial game save now as ATM none of mine are in the game. Will check docs and open one more time. OK I am not a happy camper. I did not touch 4 or CAW and they are now gone from my docs. And everything is gone from my docs that had been in 3. I never should have touched my game.

Theorist
#67 Old 24th May 2018 at 8:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
there are no bins in the bins

Yes not all of them have that. Only if it's there delete it
Can we delete the EULAs and read me items? I nuked some but will put them back if needed.

Not sure, I'll probably test that out too.

My game is totally messed up now. Worlds, saves, launcher, all are wrong now. Will start putting things back. Sigh.

Ouch. I take it you didn't back up first.

#BlairWitchPetition
Mad Poster
#68 Old 24th May 2018 at 8:42 PM
I have lost everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAW was reset. I have lost worlds I have worked on for years. All for 3 and 4. I will have to do a system restore and hope I can get things back. Am not happy.

I do not think it will restore docs. Will have to see what I can salvage from other places.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 24th May 2018 at 8:53 PM
Ooof. Shit. You just did a stupid, a big fat stupid. Fucking hell that's rough....years, as in multiple?! My condolences.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#70 Old 24th May 2018 at 9:17 PM Last edited by daisylee : 24th May 2018 at 9:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Ooof. Shit. You just did a stupid, a big fat stupid. Fucking hell that's rough....years, as in multiple?! My condolences.

Thank goodness I am enough of a pack rat that I am finding a lot that I had made copies of for who knows what reason. And thank goodness I sent copies of some of my worlds to folks to look at so they are on mediafire. I think I am finding the most important things, but sure did not plan on having to do this.

Have reconstructed some things so will open the game again and see how much is restored.

OK this is beyond weird! I know I have made copies of a heck of a lot in 3 over the years, but I am sure I never copied 4. I have a Sims folder on my desktop and it looks like my 4 game is there! ????? I sure as heck did not move it there. But I am not complaining to still have it, somewhere.

Will not post further about this.......................... but be warned everyone to make that backup before touching the files.
Last edit: maybe! It moved CAW to my desktop too! ?????????????????????
Instructor
#71 Old 25th May 2018 at 2:48 AM
Since load time is brought up, I noticed that if each fullbuild.package from each individual The Sims 3 [EP/SP]\GameData\Shared\Packages directory is moved to the The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages directory it speeds up load time, as doing that then allows game to load most of the game content from the same folder instead of searching for it in 20 different folders.

Just tried this and didn't really notice any difference in load time of the game or in CASt.

Own Grandma's Canning Station? Check out the Canning Station Overhaul.
Like doing laundry? Check out the Infinite Laundry Buffs Fix.
Mad Poster
#72 Old 25th May 2018 at 2:52 AM Last edited by HarVee : 25th May 2018 at 3:29 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Butterbot
Just tried this and didn't really notice any difference in load time of the game or in CASt.

SSD or HDD? RPM?

Alchemist
#74 Old 25th May 2018 at 10:53 AM
I don't think they abandoned it too quickly, but I think they perhaps could've used their time better. Into The Future is the most pointless expansion pack ever that wears out quickly, and to be fair nearly all stuff packs suck. I sound negative, The Sims 3 has so many great packs and aspects to it. I would've just prefered an expansion pack like Open For Business (which is what I think they worked on that ended up being Store items) and better stuff packs. The Sims 2 stuff packs we're great: IKEA, H&M, Mansion and Garden, Kitchen and Bath etc.
Mad Poster
#75 Old 25th May 2018 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
Into The Future is the most pointless expansion pack ever that wears out quickly

I don't think this is the right place to start an argument.

insert signature here
Page 3 of 6