PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial - Animating Food Start To -Finish- PDF Now Available

pacotacoplayer
9th Jan 2007, 12:56 PM
The tutorial isn't exactly complete, but I will complete it soon. For now all I have for you is the basics of animating your food in Milkshape and how to texture in milkshape.

Comes in a Microsoft Word Doc. It's very easy to follow and you'll be creating foods in no time! Requirements stated in tutorial.

Have fun :)

Learn to add custom plates here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=214858x

PDF Version available! Scroll to post #3 and download it. Thanks xanthon! :D

AbstractSIMmer187
11th Jan 2007, 2:51 PM
Thanks for this paco ;), this will be great for those simmers out there that want to try there hand at creating food.

xanathon
11th Jan 2007, 3:32 PM
Nice one!

I took the freedom to convert it to PDF for those who are not able to open .doc.

Attached! :deal:

pacotacoplayer
16th Jan 2007, 4:36 AM
Aw thanks so much xanathon! You rock :D

bienchen83
28th Jan 2007, 1:10 PM
First, thanks for the tutorial. When do you think you´ll have the tutorial finished?

I have one question: Why can´t I delete or add vertices to the mesh? Is this just for texturing reasons or does the food not work when it doesn´t have the same vertices in all three morph groups?

Thanks in advance for your reply,
bienchen83

AbstractSIMmer187
29th Jan 2007, 1:56 PM
I'll answer on paco's behalf unless he also wants to reply because i make foods, if you delete any faces r vertices you can say goodbye to animating your food because Milkshape will pick up that there is a differnt amount of vertices and faces in the one mesh than the other and when u try and export your finished animation out of Milkshape you will get a mismatch error SO DON'T DELETE VERTICES OR FACES, just move the vertices and faces arund and you won't get that error okay ;)

bienchen83
29th Jan 2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I didn´t plan to delete any vertices. I just wanted to know why I shouldn´t. I was just curious.

2latinaz
31st Jan 2007, 2:29 PM
hi, how exactly do you clone an object?

IgnorantBliss
31st Jan 2007, 2:32 PM
2latinaz, see the Object Creation & Texturing forum and the tutorial forum under that for basics on cloning objects.

2latinaz
31st Jan 2007, 2:48 PM
thanks ignorantbliss.

pacotacoplayer
31st Jan 2007, 5:34 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I didn´t plan to delete any vertices. I just wanted to know why I shouldn´t. I was just curious.

Thanks, Travis, for explaining. But also, if you delete any faces or vertices, you will get Errors in both Milkshape and SimPE.

:) ptp

pasionflower
1st Feb 2007, 6:21 AM
I am giving it a go on food creation i have not done it before so far the tutorial is easy to understand how to Meshing & Animating i did the textures and the burnt one i hope i did it right at the bottom off the tutorial do you have to extract the slices of the cake and clone them from the muffin i just made i stuck.because they look the same as the original cake except the textures are the same as my muffin ?

pacotacoplayer
2nd Feb 2007, 1:32 AM
I am giving it a go on food creation i have not done it before so far the tutorial is easy to understand how to Meshing & Animating i did the textures and the burnt one i hope i did it right at the bottom off the tutorial do you have to extract the slices of the cake and clone them from the muffin i just made i stuck.because they look the same as the original cake except the textures are the same as my muffin ?

I don't exactly understand what you are trying to say, but for a burnt texture just grab a dark brush in photoshop and draw all over your food texture, and then import it into the original cake burnt texture.

Spencer: you can't animate food in Wings 3D because it does not support UniMesh plugins. It is possible, but not possible to make animated food in Wings.

pasionflower
2nd Feb 2007, 4:58 AM
ok i found how to change burnt image i did that i register new guilds you do both files it still wont show in the game i don.t no what next i am lost paco:help:

JohnBrehaut1
2nd Feb 2007, 8:25 AM
Spencer, The only way to use the unimesh plugin is through milkshape. Normally, you can animate any object with either the unimesh tool, the mesh tool or smd plugins for (3d's Max (I think it is that program)). But, foods dont use joints to animate them, they use morphmod's. Basically, the "comment" tool in Milkshape is needed. To make it fully work, the program would have to have a comment selection, so you can change the info to match it and also the ability to export and import the GMDC's from a file. So far, I think only a select few programs are able to import GMDC's if not Milkshape alone. So I think you will need Milkshape. :)

AbstractSIMmer187
2nd Feb 2007, 4:18 PM
pasionflower you still got alot more to do you just can't register the GUIDS and think you done but i dnt blame you caude paco didn't finish the tut but i will explain not in extreme detail.

OKay so i'm assuming you added both the textures for your plain food not burnt and the burnt image right?

Okay so you registered your GUIDS, when u where registering your GUIDS you would of registered 2 GUIDS, the food main (usually the bottom one), when u register the main GUID you must tick "Update all MMATS", then you will register the next GUID it usually says "Food - Dish - Menu" or something like that. When u register that GUID you don't need to update MMATS.

Okay now here comes the tricky part, i'm assuming you did what i just said right......

Okay now go to the main GUID "The bottom one not the one that said menu"

Now look at the GUID Number lets say for example the GUID NUmber is

0x002C6D45

Now look in the Resource tab, there is something that says "Behaviour Function" or BHAV, you need to go there now, now i'm hoping you remembered your GUID, now in the Resource list u will see a few names pop up like "Food - Factory - Dish" etc etc, look for the one that says "CT - Factory - Food", okay now on your right you will see something that says "Operands"

OKay there should be some number in already, now go back to your GUID, lets say the GUID is 0x002C6D45 like i said before...

Now we need to reverse our GUID so it should be like this

45 then 6D then 2C

Now in the first top row we will put 45 in the first block then 6D in the second and 2C in the third then fill the 4th block with 00.

Got that say commit then save.

Now go to your registered menu GUID

Now lets say that GUID is 0x002C6D21

Now go back to the bhav area and look in the resource tree for the name "CT - GUID - Menu"

Now as we did before put your GUID in the toop row in reverse and fill the 4th block with a 00.

DONE! for now....

Now in order for your food to show up in-game on the catalog we need to actually go change a few settings so in the resource tab look for "Text List", now in the resource tree click on "[Text Lists]"

Okay now whatever food u cloned the name should still be there like "Fetch Salmon' or "Resume Cooking Salmon"

Now i need you to replace all Maxis names i.e cake,salmon etc etc with your food name like icecream or whatever, so wherever it says the maxis name replace it with yours there is one that just says "Resume Cooking" ignore that one when u done commit file and save.

Now go to catalog description and replace the sentence lets say its

"This is a delicious plate of Salmon, looks tasty"

It normally says that now replace salmon with your food name....

Thats all the help i can offer now....

pasionflower
3rd Feb 2007, 7:28 AM
Hello i am up to where you go to bhav factory -food put you guild in reverse
commit file the you do the other one right but there no factory- menu, do you go to fridge -menu in bhav function ? same as i did the other :help:

anyway i like to thankyou very much for this too as i say i am newbie to all this

AbstractSIMmer187
3rd Feb 2007, 8:46 AM
Pasion seeing that you are a newbie why not try starting off with more simpler things,

HP has made an awesome tut on making walls and floors

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=147840

Then u can work your way up by recolouring and then eventually making objects, but if you already know how to make objects then no one is stopping you, go ahead and do it.

Pasion what food did you clone because all foods have the "Factory-menu" thing in the bhav?

bienchen83
3rd Feb 2007, 9:09 AM
Again, thank you so much for the tutorial. I got my first food in testing now and it works fine (I figured out the last steps alone, as I didn´t see abstractsimers explanation sooner). I just wanted to add that there are some more gmdc which use morph groups. In my package - that was the pork chorp - there were three of them. So it might be best to add to your tutorial that one should try to see how many there are.

I attached some images of the food, if you are interested.

AbstractSIMmer187
3rd Feb 2007, 10:12 AM
Great job there bienchen83 :D, can't wit to download, i'm assuming you did read my "Make Custom Plate" tut to make those wonderful plates, good job.

Yes indeed there are more morph groups for example with your single food serve, that is your main morph group which you must extract to help animate the food i.e full, half eaten finish, then if you also check your group serve meal you will also notice there are 2 morph modes there aswell.....thanks for bringing that up.

Glad to see you finish make a yummy meal, it look like fish fingers with mash potatoes and a salad or something :D

pasionflower
3rd Feb 2007, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=AbstractSIMmer187]Pasion seeing that you are a newbie why not try starting off with more simpler things,

HP has made an awesome tut on making walls and floors

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=147840

Then u can work your way up by recolouring and then eventually making objects, but if you already know how to make objects then no one is stopping you, go ahead and do it.

Pasion what food did you clone because all foods have the "Factory-menu" thing in the bhav?[/QUOTE

i follow paco.s tutorial the cake( cached ) in unknown like is say sorry i can,t take a pic what the file look like in simpe in bhav function
its go this

ct factory- dish-serve
ct menu- get-resume
ct model- update
ct model-set null
ct factory-dish
ct guld-menu
ct menu-fridge
ct factory-food
function -init-menu
function-main
function-init-food
sub-set material by group meal c
there no factory-menu i have the lastist simpe too 0.60 alpha.
actually i did make a plant but i found in harder the food animating not too bad funny enough if i can,t do i will have to give it up but i thought i give it a go in a way like like to do things that are technically challenging .

pasionflower
3rd Feb 2007, 10:28 AM
Again, thank you so much for the tutorial. I got my first food in testing now and it works fine (I figured out the last steps alone, as I didn´t see abstractsimers explanation sooner). I just wanted to add that there are some more gmdc which use morph groups. In my package - that was the pork chorp - there were three of them. So it might be best to add to your tutorial that one should try to see how many there are.

I attached some images of the food, if you are interested.
wow that looks yummy bienchen83 i am still leaning fantastic job ;)

AbstractSIMmer187
3rd Feb 2007, 10:32 AM
Oh Pasion sorry my bad with all these factorys and menus and all that stuff it just got my brain all twisted up, you must put the GUID Menu where it says "CT - GUID - Menu"

I'll go edit my previous post......

bienchen83
3rd Feb 2007, 10:36 AM
Leave the something and you got it, Travis. It´ll need some more testing though before I´ll release it.
And yes, I read your tutorial. I´ll credit you both when release is due.

pasionflower
3rd Feb 2007, 10:46 AM
Oh Pasion sorry my bad with all these factorys and menus and all that stuff it just got my brain all twisted up, you must put the GUID Menu where it says "CT - GUID - Menu"

I'll go edit my previous post......
so is it right oops if it is i delete my object i thought i clone it wrong or some thing it dosen,t matter i make it again practice make perfect i better ask the other parts of the cake you change too do you or just leave them i know about the custom plate thing do all new food have to have custom plates for your food to work .so is that all you have to change or is there more
AbstractSIMmer you have been a really good help too you should make a tutorial on food creation start to finished :up:

AbstractSIMmer187
3rd Feb 2007, 11:15 AM
Well i was making one but then paco made 1 so i thought well his should be good enough and thats why i never uploaded my food tutorial.

I can't really understand fully what u trying to say?

No not all new foods need custom plates for your food to work but if you make a custom plate then YES your food requires the mesh of the food and the plate mesh aswell for the food to work.Its like adding the cherry on top of the iceing when u add that custom plate, i always add custom plates but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Okay so we are bascially done with all the hacking for the food to work in-game, you changed the textlists, you changed the catalog description, we put our GUIDS in the bhav section..... well bascially we are done, you can save your food and fire up your game now to see if it works.

One question is your food animated because animated food is also like the iceing on top of the cake, it makes it more realistic but paco explains that well in the tut so i'm assuming you don't need help there.

If you need more help then feel free to ask....

pasionflower
3rd Feb 2007, 11:31 AM
Well i was making one but then paco made 1 so i thought well his should be good enough and thats why i never uploaded my food tutorial.

I can't really understand fully what u trying to say?

No not all new foods need custom plates for your food to work but if you make a custom plate then YES your food requires the mesh of the food and the plate mesh aswell for the food to work.Its like adding the cherry on top of the iceing when u add that custom plate, i always add custom plates but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Okay so we are bascially done with all the hacking for the food to work in-game, you changed the textlists, you changed the catalog description, we put our GUIDS in the bhav section..... well bascially we are done, you can save your food and fire up your game now to see if it works.

One question is your food animated because animated food is also like the iceing on top of the cake, it makes it more realistic but paco explains that well in the tut so i'm assuming you don't need help there.

If you need more help then feel free to ask....

Don;t worry if you can't uderstard what i am saying hey sometimetimes i even don't which is bad i sort of mean the other parts of the cake like the six slices there i havn't done they look like maxis ones still or you only change it when you make a full cake , sorry if you don't get what i mean i try to figure it out i had to clone it again anyway . thankyou AbstractSIMme for great help :p i hope this time its shows i know about time of hour for food things to show up

AbstractSIMmer187
3rd Feb 2007, 11:42 AM
So you trying to say must i change the six slices of cake so that they don't look like the maxis ones?

The 6 slices of cake are the serve plate so of course you must change them unless you making some space age cake that looks like a maxis one at the serving stage and when u grab a single plate it turns into your food then u can but thats rather silly so obviosly you must change the 6 slices of cake to your new food.

I still don't get what u saying maybe someone else can explain better.

pasionflower
3rd Feb 2007, 11:52 AM
So you trying to say must i change the six slices of cake so that they don't look like the maxis ones?

The 6 slices of cake are the serve plate so of course you must change them unless you making some space age cake that looks like a maxis one at the serving stage and when u grab a single plate it turns into your food then u can but thats rather silly so obviosly you must change the 6 slices of cake to your new food.

I still don't get what u saying maybe someone else can explain better.

funny i though so gee i must be a bit dumb .AbstractSIMmer thats what i mean but i thought you have too because it would look very funny :P anyway sorry if you still don't get its me it how i talk too double dutch i think the hot weather is getting to me bit its was 40 degree today in Australia at Wagga

pasionflower
7th Feb 2007, 5:28 AM
AbstractSIMmer I got my muffins in the game thank you ever so much for helping me out you are fantastic i put some pic of them half eaten one didn't take a pic . i will work on a custom plate making soon the only thing was the texture for the half eaten morph trying to how to make it go in the right place in milkshape but i think it is ok its just looks like the first texture uneaten .i will upload it probably before i try doing custom plates when i do my plate for it i change it . now i am working on another this time i clone the porkchop dinner i read about retaining food animating on fireflies tutorial which went good on my next one . thanks again for helping with the hacking side of it . it probably would have been impossible for me to work that part out :p

bienchen83
7th Feb 2007, 11:18 AM
AbstractSIMmer I got my muffins in the game thank you ever so much for helping me out you are fantastic i put some pic of them half eaten one didn't take a pic . i will work on a custom plate making soon the only thing was the texture for the half eaten morph trying to how to make it go in the right place in milkshape but i think it is ok its just looks like the first texture uneaten .i will upload it probably before i try doing custom plates when i do my plate for it i change it . now i am working on another this time i clone the porkchop dinner i read about retaining food animating on fireflies tutorial which went good on my next one . thanks again for helping with the hacking side of it . it probably would have been impossible for me to work that part out :p

This also looks yummy. When will you upload it? Really good job. :up:

AbstractSIMmer187
7th Feb 2007, 2:18 PM
Hahah yup you not alone, i tried following pacos tut where it comes to the part of texturing the inside, i followed the steps perfect but in-game there was NO seperate texture in the inside althougn i have found a simpler method of texturing the inside of food that DOESN'T REQUIRE MILKSHAPE, maybe you people might want to try it.

Lets say for example you making a muffin like pasion did and u want to texture the inside of the muffin chocolate or something then make a spahere or something then duplicate your sphere and scale it just a bit smaller than the original one. Now move the duplicated muffin inside the original muffin, now when you have to do the half eaten stage just move your vertices so that the duplicate muffin texture shows, its as easy as that, i tried it and it worked.

Pasion it was more than a pleasure helping you, thast why i'm here :D, if any help is needed anywhere i'll provide the answers :D

Travis

pacotacoplayer
8th Feb 2007, 2:36 AM
Bienchen, those look awsome! Glad I could help :) Thanks Travis for helping people with trouble.

JohnBrehaut1
8th Feb 2007, 6:09 AM
I think you mean PasionFlower, paco. :P

AbstractSIMmer187
8th Feb 2007, 12:59 PM
Well i think he means both because if you go check back on the posts Bienchen also posted some pics of her food ;)

pasionflower
9th Feb 2007, 3:41 AM
trying you custom plate tutorial Travis the first time i load my game i don't know but it didn't work the texture was on the maxis plate instead and no new plate i must have did somethink wroung i try again and see

AbstractSIMmer187
9th Feb 2007, 5:01 PM
Pasion go post your queries in the plate section thread and not in pacos food tut section please.

Grecia28
15th Feb 2007, 9:55 PM
Im kind of a newbie here and I wanted to make a food for my first..Yes that may sound dumb..0_0.. I was making the muffins and Im having trouble with the texture.When I load the muffin texture, the texture seems black.

pacotacoplayer
16th Feb 2007, 2:27 PM
Grecia, if you're using photoshop for your texture, make sure you save it as a PNG, and you go to Image...Mode...RGB Color.

wrightfan6
16th Feb 2007, 11:08 PM
I got a noob question where can i find the tutorial

JohnBrehaut1
17th Feb 2007, 12:50 AM
wrightfan6, on the first page.

wrightfan6
17th Feb 2007, 5:46 PM
No after i download it

Grecia28
18th Feb 2007, 2:41 AM
Grecia, if you're using photoshop for your texture, make sure you save it as a PNG, and you go to Image...Mode...RGB Color.

hmm I did what you said but its turning out the same.. :help:

JohnBrehaut1
18th Feb 2007, 10:24 AM
wrightfan, extract it, if it says it is corrupted, redownload it.
Grecia, got a picture of what's happening ?

Lady DarkFire
25th Feb 2007, 2:23 AM
Thank you for this wonderful tutorial! It's extremely useful to budding food creators. I've ran across a small problem I'm hoping that I can be helped with?

I've created cookies and the eat and disappear animations seem to work for the single plate version but the half-eaten state doesn't seem to appear. Also, the food that is on the serving plate itself doesn't seem to disappear either. I'm wondering where I went wrong and how to go about fixing it?

AbstractSIMmer187
2nd Mar 2007, 9:56 PM
When u say second stage doesn't appear do you mean when your sim gets to the half eaten stage they automatically jump to the finish eating stage or the food appears invisible or exploded?

Lady DarkFire
8th Mar 2007, 4:17 PM
When u say second stage doesn't appear do you mean when your sim gets to the half eaten stage they automatically jump to the finish eating stage or the food appears invisible or exploded?

Hi AbstractSIMmer187, thank you so much for replying.

Yes, the sim transitions from the full state straight to the clean state as if there was no half-eaten stage.

Also when my Sims make a group meal I noticed that as they grab the food it should be that the food eventually disappears leaving an empty serving plate. However, the food still remains on the plate and eventually they'll just take the plate(with all the food on it) to the sink to wash it. I'm not sure if that makes sense at all. ^_^;

pasionflower
13th Mar 2007, 12:12 PM
Hi AbstractSIMmer187, thank you so much for replying.

Yes, the sim transitions from the full state straight to the clean state as if there was no half-eaten stage.

Also when my Sims make a group meal I noticed that as they grab the food it should be that the food eventually disappears leaving an empty serving plate. However, the food still remains on the plate and eventually they'll just take the plate(with all the food on it) to the sink to wash it. I'm not sure if that makes sense at all. ^_^;

LADY DARKFIRE i had that trouble i put the morphmod the half eatting stage in the wrong place you put that last so it looks like this
cookstate 1st
00 morphmod 1 2nd this is the one with the food all gone
00 morhpmod 2 3rd half eatting stage

i hope this works i am no expert by any means but i did had that trouble i put the 2nd morhmod in the 2nd place instead of last :)

AbstractSIMmer187
27th Mar 2007, 3:15 PM
Could you maybe attach your food Lady Darkfire so i could maybe look into the package but from what i was reading i'm assuming you just muddled your animations around ;)

Lady DarkFire
5th Apr 2007, 11:40 AM
pasionflower: Thank you so much for the information! This is very helpful to me and I'm sure to many others alike myself. It certainly does seem that I am making a mess of the food animations. I do remember that I put the half-eaten state as the second step. If its to be the last step then no wonder it just behaves freaky! If so then how to go about fixing it?

AbstractSIMmer187: Oh my goodness thank you so much. It would be an honor that you would in your spare time. I think I've managed the attachment right. The file is within the rar. I'm actually very shocked it even got passed the first stage. Somehow I keep thinking to myself that my experiments will end up nuking my Sims game entirely. Lol! *^_^*

AbstractSIMmer187
9th Apr 2007, 11:03 AM
Oh my Lady Darkfire your package is pretty much messed up and you going to need to start from scratch.

Everything else was perfect although i do need to ask you why on this earth did you make a mesh for the alpha channel i.e you know when you go to GMDC, the first file on top of the list is the alpha chanell for the food, right?

YOU DON'T HAVE TO MAKE A MESH FOR THAT, i was rather stunned when i saw that, pretty odd.

Yes you clearly flopped the animating stage, for some reason you extracted the animations files from the alpha chanell :O and on top of that your package has NO File in the GMDC where the food is on the plate.

So in otherwards you going to have to start from scratch, i don't mean to be mean at all i'm just pointing out what went totally wrong, so this is one case i cann't solve, sorry.

Few pointers:

1) Never make a mesh for the alpha channel.

2) In the catalog description, there is no need to write out a description for the food because you won't be reading a description when u make the food, all you have to do is put your foods name i.e Star Cookies and replace it with the maxis name of watever food you cloned, in this case its the cake.

3) Make sure when u clone a food you have the right things ticked, i'm assuming you never did because your files in the GMDC were totally messed up, i can't remember but i think in paco's tutorial it tells you what to tick and what not to tick.

Overall you followed the tutorial pretty well i must say, you filled in your name by the Text Lists, you put your GUIDS in the right place in the Behaviour section, it was just the GMDC area that totally messed this package up.

Goodluck and if you need more help feel free to ask.

Kind Regards

Travis

tacos
30th Apr 2007, 11:31 AM
I don't exactly understand what you are trying to say, but for a burnt texture just grab a dark brush in photoshop and draw all over your food texture, and then import it into the original cake burnt texture.

Spencer: you can't animate food in Wings 3D because it does not support UniMesh plugins. It is possible, but not possible to make animated food in Wings.

what about blenders can you animate food in blenders?

AbstractSIMmer187
2nd May 2007, 2:51 PM
Yes it is defiantly possible to animate in Blender 3D, matter of a fact you can model, animate and render your stuff out with that software but i wouldn't know how to do animating in Blender 3D, if you want to learn how to do it in Blender i suggest you Google Blender 3D tutorials.

I hope that answered your question ;)

wndy26
1st Oct 2007, 8:45 AM
This all looks so complicated! How much of the animation steps would I need to go through in order to change the bag of chips to a box of candy - say Dots or Sugar Babies? I would think the animations for the chips would be fairly close to what I would need for boxed candy - what do you think?

I want to create buyable candy for a movie theater counter that I am working on - hoping to add popcorn, bags of cotton candy, boxes of Dots, Juji Fruits, Milk Duds, M&M's, etc, and also fountain soda (no specific kinds - just in general). Just curious - do you think it would be difficult to clone the bar for the counter? I want to avoid having to own the theater - an NPC counter person that can serve would be beneficial as well as speeding up the sale - no cashier to train (lol).

youcmecruzin13
14th Apr 2008, 4:55 AM
Wow noones posted here in a while, But I have a quick question.

I don't have Milkshape and was wondering, is there any other program I can use to make food? I really want to make some food and the only tutorials other than this one I can find is the Cereal one, which is recoloring. I had Milkshape 3D for the Trail, then it expired. Thanks

Jasana_BugBreeder
14th Apr 2008, 5:58 AM
Smd format can also handle morphs, so any program that handles smd format should be fine. As far as I know, smd currently can be handled by XSI Mod Tool, Blender (with plugin available on this site) and 3ds Max (up to 8 - with Cannonfodder plugins). First two are free programs, but I have zero experience with them so can't tell much about them.

youcmecruzin13
14th Apr 2008, 6:25 PM
Thanks. I started to play around with blender. Ill look up some more tutorials try to figure it out, and once I do, Maybe one day I can add on to this tutorial, Blender Version.

Tonya1026
20th Jun 2008, 1:58 PM
I read the above post that says this is the only tutorial on making food, with the exception of a recoloring one. I wasnt going to use this but since its the only one, is it finished? I read a few pages of comments and Abstract helped alot but it would be great to have a finished tutorial. If there are more available, can anyone please let me know? Thanks

Jasana_BugBreeder
20th Jun 2008, 3:29 PM
There's older tutorial (recently updated (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=277555)) by fireflies - it's about recoloring food, but it's better to get familar enough with recoloring before starting to working with food meshes - because you need to clone food, and change GUIDs in bhavs and menu texts in STR#, even if you want to simply recolor it.

eris3000
24th Jun 2008, 4:35 PM
Okay, forgive me if I sound a little stupid, I'm new to food making as well. I have like five foods lined up, meshes and textures completed, (except the plate mesh. Do I change that too?) but I'm not sure what to do next as the tutorial is not complete. I know I have to do the GUIDS and stuff but what I need to know is do I do it for each GMDC? When I did the object tutorial with the table it was just that one mesh, whereas with food, there are many meshes. So do I do each one the same way as the table Tut, including the animation GMDC (_tslocator_gmdc)? :blink:

Jasana_BugBreeder
24th Jun 2008, 7:08 PM
You need to change plate mesh only if you are want to use a custom plate; if you are using Maxis plate - leave it unchanged.
In short - yes, you do need to replace each GMDC - well, depends on your mesh and food type, for example, it's unlikely that you would replace 'prepare in bowl' or 'simmer' states, since there's not much variety for their shapes.
Different GMDCs correspond to different states, you can usually tell by their names which is which. Pay attention that most states have morphs (so you must use either Milkshape+Unimesh, or smd+programs that support it) - if you will break them, you foods will not update properly (for example, full, half-eaten, and eaten states of a meal are done via morphs).

eris3000
25th Jun 2008, 5:16 AM
Yay, I did it! OMG thank you all so much (Numenor, Jasana, Paco, & Abtract) I couldn't have done it without you all! Now I can go back and finish all my others ones, test them, and share them with you all!

AdonisPluto
4th Jul 2011, 2:21 PM
Lovely tutorial. and really inspiring.