PDA

View Full Version : Shading with The Gimp?

Lillz.
4th Mar 2007, 12:22 AM
Does anyone know how to add shading to clothing using the Dodge/Burn Tool on the Gimp? :blink:

tiggerypum
4th Mar 2007, 9:24 PM
I have never gotten great with dodge/burn with photoshop, but here's how I do it....

I make a new layer (and label it like 'whatevershadow'). Then I draw on it using black. I blur my shading, then set it to multiply or overlay for the layer effect, and then adjust the transparency. I set the transparency fairly low, just enough to get that shadow looking effect. What is good about this is that if I take my outfit into the game and find the shading is either too dark or too light (doesn't really show) I can go back and just adjust the transparency of the layer.

I do the same thing for highlights *on a separate layer*, so that I can adjust them separately from the shadows - using white, then blurring/smudging, editing, and then taking the transparency down (no multiply on highlights :) )

If I'm shading under a belt or hem, after I do the blur I go and erase (usually using the polygon select tool) stuff where I need a sharp edge, if it looks like it needs it.

Lillz.
6th Mar 2007, 1:27 AM
Kewl..This helps alot! Thanks!! :]

Nukapei
16th Mar 2007, 4:55 AM
Another hint: for fast blurring, instead of using the smudge tool (which takes a long time) or regular blur (which is, well, blurry, lol) use 'Glaussian blur'. It gives you smudge-tool-like effects without the hours spent smudging. ^_^