PDA

View Full Version : Unimesh 1 - New Mesh Basics (Question & Answer Thread)

HystericalParoxysm
11th Aug 2008, 3:47 PM
:here: Tutorial Link:

Unimesh 1 - New Mesh Basics (http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:Unimesh_1_-_New_Mesh_Basics)

:here: This thread is for:

Discussion of problems, issues, and errors related to that tutorial, and that tutorial only. If you are having any meshing problems, issues, errors, or questions that do not directly relate to that tutorial then please post in the main Body Shop Meshing Forum (http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34) instead!

Please also make sure to check the part at the end, "Having trouble?" before posting here - most common mistakes and errors are listed there.

HystericalParoxysm
5th Sep 2008, 7:43 PM
fway - That's covered in the accessory-specific tutorials.

Dawn_
19th Sep 2008, 1:53 AM
Thank you HystericalParoxysm, this is a wonderful tutorial. I am a complete beginner with SimPE and Milkshape and I did this tutorial perfectly, without even a single hitch!

When I saw this tutorial I went right on towards the Milkshape and SimPE websites to acquire the programs, because I knew that you would do a thorough job explaining everything... I figured I'd give it a try, and, what do you know?!

I ended up tweaking parts of the dress and whatnot to see what I came up with. In the end result I found that the waist and hips were too narrow (that's what I get for not stopping where I was told to... :rofl: ), and there were parts of the skirt that were a little "bubbly" looking, but overall... wonderful tutorial, wonderful, wonderful.

:D
Thank you so much for your hard work.

EDIT - I downloaded an item by Nvidia for making defaults, and now my files won't save as a new mesh? Should I uninstall it? :/

luchs
19th Sep 2008, 3:27 AM
I've already follow all the guides until the "Import Mesh files by unimesh plugin for milkshape"

This is the problem... I've download the milkshape and it's not registered so that I can't continue any project til I have the reg key. Too bad this tutorial doesn't give any alternative program than MilkShape. I've Autodesk 3DSMax but I don't know how to make it works with the mesh plugin :cry: :cry: :cry:

Any Clue, sir ? :cry: :cry:

Dawn_
19th Sep 2008, 5:20 AM
Luchs, if you just downloaded MilkShape you have a 30 day free trial before it expires :)

luchs
19th Sep 2008, 5:14 PM
Luchs, if you just downloaded MilkShape you have a 30 day free trial before it expires :)

I've download it just yesterday but still it said my MilkShape3D is a free trial so can't open any mesh files... :cry:

How to do then :cry: ?

here's the SS :

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/433/weirdoyz6.th.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=weirdoyz6.jpg)

HystericalParoxysm
19th Sep 2008, 5:32 PM
It'll give you that message until you register but you can still use it just the same as if it were registered until the registration period is up. Just click OK on that and proceed as normal. It will only lock you out after 30 days, in which case you'll need to register before it'll let you do anything.

Dawn_ - The nVidia DDS Utilities would have -nothing- to do with meshes in any way, shape, or form. Exactly what do you mean by "files won't save as a new mesh"?

luchs
20th Sep 2008, 9:49 AM
@HystericalParoxysm

Sir, how do i proceed to next step while i can't importing any files ~__~ ? And if I click on that OK, the milkshape3d doesn't browse any mesh files, geez.... maybe this version (MilkShape3d 1.8.4) really needs a registration ?

HystericalParoxysm
20th Sep 2008, 10:42 AM
luchs - It should still be a trial. If you're having trouble with it, try the Milkshape support forums.

22nd Sep 2008, 11:32 AM
i like the tutorial but im having a bit of trouble with simpe..whenever i try to link the package file and i press the 3dir and then plugins voew tab its blank(the box where information like the pic)..i have checked and i have the latest simpe and i have reinstalled it a few times

22nd Sep 2008, 11:34 AM
if u can please help me..i dont think simpe likes me much ..thanks in advance

HystericalParoxysm
22nd Sep 2008, 11:43 AM
[email protected] - Try resetting your SimPE. Extra menu - Preferences - SimPE Settings - Reset Layout. Beyond that I really don't know what would cause it - you'd want to try the SimPE support forums for help with it.

22nd Sep 2008, 11:58 AM
thanks for your help but i looked into simpe's offical website like you sed and i did it all again except i used the c drive instead of the d drive...maybe its because all the mods i have...noone will ever no

thanks heaps all i have to do know is thank you...but to figure out how

HystericalParoxysm
22nd Sep 2008, 12:15 PM
Drive shouldn't matter. Mods shouldn't matter. You can ask questions on the SimPE forums.

22nd Sep 2008, 12:17 PM
jeeze man..wtf i dont need to ask the question..but seriously thanks a lot ube been good help :)

HystericalParoxysm
22nd Sep 2008, 12:40 PM
Well, if you ask there you're a lot more likely to get an answer that will help you. There's folks on the SimPE forums who actually develop SimPE itself. I'm not big on the nuts and bolts techie bits so I really don't have any more suggestions.

Inge Jones
22nd Sep 2008, 12:51 PM
Though you're not likely to get very far unless your report consists of something a bit more technically informative than:

i dont think SimPE likes me much

;)

keljo81
2nd Oct 2008, 7:03 PM
Im not really sure if this is where i need to post this but i need some help with MS3d. I have been having an issue with it when i try to open up a 3d mesh in MS3D. For some reason unbeknownst to me there are blue lines all over the place and i cannot really tell what i am doing with it. That happened with the first mesh i tried to mess around with, the one from the tutorial and i tried to do a different one today and it just brings up the exact same mesh and those blue lines all over the place. Can you offer me some help so that i may fix this problem and resume learning?

HystericalParoxysm
2nd Oct 2008, 7:26 PM
keljo81 - http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:Unimesh_1_-_New_Mesh_Basics#Blue_Lines.2FCircles_in_Milkshape

elizzle003
15th Oct 2008, 6:49 PM
...You'll now get a popup saying "Now close your 3DIR resource, without committing, by opening a different resource. After that you can continue as normal. Remember to save." Click OK on this...

So do I save my 3DIR resource BEFORE or AFTER I open a different resource?

Thanks for all of your help, it's appreciated :)

HystericalParoxysm
15th Oct 2008, 7:01 PM
elizzle003 - Save afterward - it says to do that in the tutorial. That's part 4, step 4. Part 4, step 6 is to save (after step 5, verifying the linking). :)

elizzle003
15th Oct 2008, 7:08 PM
elizzle003 - Save afterward - it says to do that in the tutorial. That's part 4, step 4. Part 4, step 6 is to save (after step 5, verifying the linking). :)

thank you :D

Aquarius61
16th Oct 2008, 4:55 PM
Thank you for this very useful tutorial.

I've tried to extract another package and, with the PJSE Mesh Tool, I had a message who tells me "Multiple meshes found (did you pick the right package?). Imporet resources for them all".

I said OK and then, after extracting several files, I had another message who said "Not all parts could be found for mesh: and a filename".

I had no problem to bring up fix integrity, give my mesh a name and save it as a package.

Then I opened the file in SavedSims and was surprised to see 57 3IDR files !

And here is my question :
If I select one or all 3IDR files to link, I have a message telling me "Could not use this package. Either zero or multiple CRES or SHPE resources were found".

What's the matter ?

Thank you

HystericalParoxysm
16th Oct 2008, 5:06 PM
Aquarius61 - What mesh were you trying to use as the base? That usually only happens for hair and accessories, which are a whole different can of worms from this.

Aquarius61
16th Oct 2008, 5:43 PM
A whole body (a skin)

HystericalParoxysm
16th Oct 2008, 7:38 PM
Specifically, which outfit are you using? Also, would probably be best to make your own thread in Body Shop Meshing (the main forum) since this thread is just for stuff that directly relates to the tutorial itself - once you branch out on your own projects, it should be separate. :)

Aquarius61
16th Oct 2008, 9:10 PM
I followed the whole tutorial, which is excellent.

But if I follow the tutorial using a different package, how can I link this package I have selected in SavedSims to the one I have defined in TutorialDress Files, if I have more than one 3D ID Referencing File ?

HystericalParoxysm
16th Oct 2008, 11:02 PM
That looks like an actual -skintone- file to me, not a clothing recolour. I think you've gotten very confused somewhere along the way. These techniques are just for clothing, not skintones. Linking skintones to full body meshes -can- be done (for special body types like bodybuilders) but that's not covered in this tutorial at all.

Aquarius61
23rd Oct 2008, 6:31 PM
OK, so I'll try to find a tutorial to link skintones to full body meshes.

Thank you for your help :)

x_brokenshadow_x
27th Oct 2008, 11:58 AM
i am having trouble with the 'deselect' step, i have been trying the shift-right click to deselect the unwanted vertices but nothing happens, any suggestions?

Buskila
31st Oct 2008, 11:22 PM
I have a homework question -
When trying to make a mesh fatter I got really confused. You said to use the same technics as in the tutorial but when I tried to select thoes five rows at the waist and scale them (by 1.3) the consequence was that it stuck out from the body in a very weird way. I had tried to select more rows to scale and ended up selecting the whole thing and then just the part where the dress's supposed to be and... Making a long story short - I'm totally lost at this. Can you explain how to make a mesh fatter, as you did in the tutorial regarding to making it slimmer?

melody2
6th Nov 2008, 2:33 PM
Hi there. ^^
First I would like to say, that I really enjoyed doing your tutorial. ^^
It's really great and so damn easy to understand. XD
So, well. With the dress, everything went well. But now I wanted to try the same method on hair meshes, because it's way easier than the older tut's here on MtS2.
But I had the same problem as Aquarius61...
Well, you mentioned s.th. about a different method with hair und accessories...
So, does that mean, I can't use your method on hair? Q___Q
Is there an easier way to create own hair meshes, than discribed in the hair tutorials here on MtS2? Or maybe you could do one, thats easier to understand. ^^°

HystericalParoxysm
6th Nov 2008, 2:51 PM
Buskila - Try selecting one row of vertices at a time, and expanding it by 1.1 each time. That will give you a very small increase, but will be easier to control. It's generally just a matter of eyeballing it and making it a little bit fatter until it looks right. You can always shrink some if you think it looks too fat or lumpy in one place by scaling by 0.98-ish.

melody2 - You need to be much more advanced at creating than this tutorial will teach you in order to make hair. There are great articles on creating hair here - many of them not very outdated. Making hair is VERY hard - much harder than bodies. The methods described here can be used, in part, to make hair, but if you try to follow this tutorial for hair, it won't work.

Buskila
6th Nov 2008, 6:30 PM
Thanks a lot! I'll try to implement your suggestions. Great tutorial, by the way! You really knew how to explain things so even complete ignorants like me won't feel totally lost.

melody2
6th Nov 2008, 6:54 PM
Kay, thx for the quick answer. ^^
I'll take your advice, and try to read the other articles more carefully, in order to understand them better. XD I'm german, so my english is pretty basic, I guess. ^^°
(but it's my favorite language, cause it sounds so much better and easier and softer, than our hard and strict and complicated german XD)
Oh, yeah. And I agree with Baskila. You really know, how to explain difficult things, so
even newbies understand them. ^^
Crap, I must stop dilly dalling and keep on practising. XD

levinasims
15th Nov 2008, 12:30 PM
OK, I followed the tutorial, but the new mesh of the dress I made, was invisible. So I deleted it in Body Shop. But now I see that the original maxis dresses are invisible, too!
What do I do?

Nessx007
24th Nov 2008, 6:00 AM
Hi, I just finished the tutorial and it was really great and easy to follow. Only one problem though, I'm not sure why (maybe I forgot to cross my toes and knees...) but when I click on the final dress under the formal tab in body shop, I get this horrifying monster deformation! Her legs and arms are stretched everywhere and she's missing a head! After I got recovered from my shock, I went through the whole tutorial again step-by-step, but still got the same end result. I'm using MilkShape 1.8.0 and when I checked the version numbers for the Unimesh plugins it displayed Import V4.09A and Exporter V4.07A. Could the difference in version numbers be the cause? Otherwise, what do you think may have caused it? (I'm 99.5% sure I did every step as stated!)

Thanks again for the great tutorial!

HystericalParoxysm
24th Nov 2008, 10:46 AM
levinasims - Delete everything you've made for the project as something is still in there screwing things up, I guess. I'm guessing you made a default replacement somehow and didn't delete it entirely.

Nessx007 - It sounds like you moved part of the skeleton in the process of creating your mesh. That's why it says to uncheck "show skeleton" when you get into Milkshape, so you can't edit the skeleton and mess it up. There's a thread about that here where Wes_h (the creator of Unimesh) tells how to fix it: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=308709

porkypine
4th Dec 2008, 7:21 PM
:D I think Delphy should create a little halo icon for our very patient and saintly mods who answer the same kinds of questions over and over again, and somehow manage not to collect any heads during the day. :jest:

Vampire_of_Death
15th Dec 2008, 8:26 AM
Hey,, great tutorial! I do have a question, it is probably really simple, but her it goes. I am in Part 4, step 5, check your linking. I did what it said and the numerical values did not change. I am not sure if this is nnormal, but every thing in the resource list is greyed out except 3D ID Referencing and Directory of Compressed files. The 3D ID Ref. is the only one italicized. Let me know if you would like screenshots, thank you!

Vampy

margauxvp1
3rd Jan 2009, 3:24 PM
OK.... I'm sorry to just baffle this out but when I was at the part when you check in bodyshop if your mesh shows up, nothin showed up. I sort of panicked and deleted everything in my folder (that had the shape and other three items) and deleted the mesh in the downloads folder... nothing came back or changed and the item i was working on ( a gown) doesnt show up when i try to select it in 'make new project' or 'create new sims'. Do I have to reinstall my game?? 8(

margauxvp1
3rd Jan 2009, 3:27 PM
OK, I followed the tutorial, but the new mesh of the dress I made, was invisible. So I deleted it in Body Shop. But now I see that the original maxis dresses are invisible, too!
What do I do?

THATS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM!!!

margauxvp1
3rd Jan 2009, 3:31 PM
The only thing is I DID delete everything that had to do with it... I even deleted it in Bodyshop. Nothing has changed, the three Maxis dresses are still invisible. Additionally, after the three icons of the Maxis dresses, there are three new empty icons that show the smae result as clicking on the Maxis dresses icons (an invisible body). How can I get everything back as it was??

margauxvp1
3rd Jan 2009, 4:37 PM
Please ignore my previous posts... I had forgotten to re-load my bodyshop after deleting everything. Everything works now. :)

BTW nice guide thanks alot xoxxox

Sango_91
4th Jan 2009, 9:00 PM
I have got a question. Whenever I try to use the sim mesh extractor in SimPE, the extractor does not find anything. It always says: "Not all parts could be found for the mesh". I tried to start it over three times, but nothing has changed, tough. Could someone tell me what the prob is? It's really weird because I am using the same mesh as it is described in the tutorial :(

Rikachu
8th Jan 2009, 4:52 AM
SimPE keeps popping up with 'This is not an appropriate context in which to use this tool'

Firesyne
13th Jan 2009, 12:22 AM
I'm using:
SimPE 0.72
Milkshape3D 1.8.4

and everything in your tutorial worked flawlessly!!
Now hopefully I can repeat it for other projects ((crossing fingers!))
Thanx sooooooo much 4 this tutorial! :D

Abbey12388
14th Jan 2009, 1:32 AM
Thank you soo much for this tutorial!! :D

Riblan, that happened to me too. You have to click, file, new to create a new package.

maru-chan
20th Jan 2009, 12:02 AM
During Part 3 - 5.

I get this error message when trying to extract the body mesh:
"Not all parts could be found for mesh: afbodylongloose_sandfancy"

help ~_~

fakepeeps7
20th Jan 2009, 1:42 AM
During Part 3 - 5.

I get this error message when trying to extract the body mesh:
"Not all parts could be found for mesh: afbodylongloose_sandfancy"

help ~_~

Omit the last part. You need to look for "afbodylongloose". That's it.

winniedory
22nd Jan 2009, 8:42 PM
I don't have the PJSE Extracting Tool.. ? Why don't i have that?

Starfish of Terror
25th Jan 2009, 4:05 AM
Huh, I keep getting that same "not all parts could be found" error that some other people seem to be experiencing here. It occurs for me when I use the PJSE Bodymesh Tool Extracting Stage for a few different outfits -- ymbodyurbpri, ambodypreppyout, tmbodygreaser. Yet it works just fine for, say, tmBodyOpenShirtOverPants. It's baffling to say the least.

Oh, and Winniedorey -- you might not have the latest version of SimPE, since I believe it came in a more recent update. Have you tried reinstalling it?

CatOfEvilGenius
25th Jan 2009, 4:33 AM
Please post your questions in the Create BodyShop meshing forum, not the tutorial thread. That way, more folks will see them (and hopefully answer).

Stroumphette1405
8th Feb 2009, 1:22 AM
I am so desappointed....
i can"t go on the tutorial, because at the beginning when I simply want to save my TutorialDress_5myname] file, (or any files) i have always the error message "the file existst"
I don't undersatnd anything
I have looked for an answer on the simpe forum but nothing, and it is impossible to write a neaw post..
Pleas, please, please, help me....
Thanks a lot

PS : i have unistalled and reinstall simpe many times.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

zionfeather9
18th Feb 2009, 1:07 AM
i have a problem. i did everything the tutorial said and i get this error after i try to link it.

Could not use this package. either zero or multiple CHRS or SHPE
resources were found.

please help me why that comes up. i really want to create pple

axron27
5th Mar 2009, 11:41 PM
In the save dialogue for the extraction part simpe is not a filetype option, but it shows it as an option in the tutorial. The only save option at this point is objx. I'm running milkshape 1.84 and the updated simpe for freetime. There may have changes and you might want to clarify for later versions, lest we tear our hair out in frustration. Thank you. :report:

Yololol
30th Apr 2009, 9:04 AM
I have problem too. I started doing the tutorial for the first time and everything worked fine. When I wanted to try it again (using the same dress "afbodydresslongloose") it said that: "Not all parts could be found for mesh: afbodydresslongloose_sandfancy". I don't know what to do with it. I have tried reinstalling, but it still does the same thing. Help please?

fakepeeps7
30th Apr 2009, 8:12 PM
I have problem too. I started doing the tutorial for the first time and everything worked fine. When I wanted to try it again (using the same dress "afbodydresslongloose") it said that: "Not all parts could be found for mesh: afbodydresslongloose_sandfancy". I don't know what to do with it. I have tried reinstalling, but it still does the same thing. Help please?

What did you enter? "afbodydresslongloose" or "afbodydresslongloose_sandfancy"? You don't need the colour. Just look for "afbodydresslongloose".

squall117
3rd May 2009, 7:38 PM
SimPE keeps popping up with 'This is not an appropriate context in which to use this tool'EDIT: I was also getting this error.
I forgot to click "File > New" xD

slar
10th May 2009, 2:07 AM
Hello!
I'm having trouble deleting the top row and the bottom row of the verticies around the waist. After I selected the area under the breasts, got the alignment of the verticies exactly like those in Hysterical Paroxsym's pictures, and ultimately scaled everything, my mesh exploded. I had recived a message informing me that I had not installed Managed Direct X when I was exporting the GDMCs, but the pull down menu with the "extract" option appeared and I didn't encounter any problems afterwards. Is the absense of Managed Direct X or my inept vertice selecting the source of my problems? Here's a screen shot of what I did.

sims2luver23
16th May 2009, 4:38 PM
I edited some jeans in milkshape and I followed the steps for putting it in sims and replacing the gmdc file etc (I made the jeans skinny) but it won't show up in bodyshop. Is this a problem or is it just going to be in the game?

HystericalParoxysm
16th May 2009, 4:45 PM
slar - You definitely need Managed DirectX. Explosion is usually a matter of deleting something, so I'd say get Managed DX and try again.

sims2luver23 - If it doesn't show up in Body Shop, it won't be in-game either. Go ahead and try the tutorial as-written (with the dress) and see if you can get a mesh working that way first. If you then try jeans and you can't get them working after getting a dress working, then make a new thread in the main Body Shop Meshing area.

Cousin Barney
7th Jun 2009, 9:57 PM
Phew! Thanks for making such a great tutorial, as always! I was stuck in step 7 part 2. Whenever I clicked on the GMDC, the Plugin View wouldn't do anything! I restarted SimPE which fixed my problem :)

ETA: I did the "homework" fine and on to the next tutorial! I did, however, have a problem when I tried to play with a Maxis outfit from NightLife. I tried to open the files from SavedSims into SimPE and there was an error message that said something like "not all files could be found."

Is that because it was from Night Life and not the base game?

Louise1991
4th Jul 2009, 3:34 PM
Heey, this is an amazing tutorial :D,,
but i've got a problem. I think bodyshop doesn't work right or something, i don't know, but every single time (and i've tried with 3 different dresses/meshes now), after part 4 step 6, bodyshop shows a different piece of clothing than the one i've been trying to remesh. What is even weirder is, that if i go on with the tutorial and ignore this, in milkshape everything appears to be normal: the mesh i want to edit shows in 3D. I changed it according to the tutorial, saved it and everything... and back in bodyshop, it keeps showing the wrong dress.

Can anyone help me with this please?? I don't know what to do about it... maybe i'm missing something obvious, but i just can't get it right

Springbunny
7th Jul 2009, 4:51 PM
Everything go straight on except the last parts! :cry: :cry: I'm in the step there you shall copy the text in Plugin view, when you have edit the GMDC. I am in the plugin view, I double click on the file but nothing shows up in the plugin view! :!:

hopawaay109
12th Jul 2009, 12:51 AM
the tutorial says you can only modify maxis meshes...how would i go about modifying custom meshes? i can't find a tutorial that doesn't use maxis meshes...

yodog414
17th Jul 2009, 3:57 AM
I <3 HystericalParoxysm

aerospark3d
23rd Jul 2009, 3:19 PM
ok, before i ask, yes i know that this tutorial is for milkshape, but i will kinda be stuck after that month and i know blender pretty well and it can take SMD files so......

how would i make it so i could use a SMD file instead of the Unimesh one? once i know that, i can translate the Milkshape instructions(best i can anyways) and work from there.

can u help me?

Kimarudashi
30th Jul 2009, 9:47 PM
Hi, I've got a little problem. I've done everything like in the tutorial, followed every step, but in the end, the alterations that I made in milkshape don't appear in bodyshop. I've already seen the commun error and made sure I dind't make any. I don't know what to do. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

LikieSimmy203
16th Aug 2009, 2:31 AM
when im linking and i selected something else and selected back but nothing changed....wuts happening?

Creator K
8th Sep 2009, 3:03 AM
What did you enter? "afbodydresslongloose" or "afbodydresslongloose_sandfancy"? You don't need the colour. Just look for "afbodydresslongloose".
I was looking for it but it brought up that same message.

Skipperdoo32
26th Nov 2009, 6:34 AM
Ok, here's my problem:

I wanted to edit an outfit for my teen sims. However, I noticed that the outfit was custom content. I know that there was a warning at the beginning of the tutorial that said "this tutorial isn't for editing custom content", but I didn't know how else to do it, so I just followed the steps like you would on a Maxis outfit. I successfully created a mesh and put it into SimPE; however, when I went to open it up in Body Shop, the mesh wasn't showing up with the changes I made. Are there any tutorials for editing custom content items/clothing? What do I do??

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

riotxx
27th Nov 2009, 11:32 PM
@HystericalParoxysm

Sir, how do i proceed to next step while i can't importing any files ~__~ ? And if I click on that OK, the milkshape3d doesn't browse any mesh files, geez.... maybe this version (MilkShape3d 1.8.4) really needs a registration ?

:help:
luchs.
the same thing is happening to me. it's really annoying me, and i know exactly how you feel. it keeps doing that to me too. i did everything else i had to do and it took me 1 1/2 hours and now milkshape isn't helping me get farther. does yours work now? :|

Potential_Fate
5th Dec 2009, 4:28 AM
Originally Posted by fakepeeps7
I was looking for it but it brought up that same message.

I've been trying to do some other ones as practice.

So I was thinking, I really don't like the necklace on the tfbodywrapskirt (the one that looks like the fortune teller's outfit) and I wanted to take that off. (I think it came with freetime for teens. AL for elders?)

But I keep having the same problem, I'll search "tfbodywrapskirt_body" and it will say that not all the mesh pieces could be found. I tried doing it the oldfashioned way too, going to find them myself, but it came up with nothing in the folders. all it had was the recolours in the "sims02.package" file.

what's missing and why?

I just had to change my file table, but I had thought that hadn't worked til I restarted SimPE. so... never mind.

Valykry
5th Dec 2009, 7:16 PM
I Have completed several beginner tutorials multiple times, enough that i have a good grasp of what is going on but i do have one issue. I have long been comfortable with Softimage XSI (several years before the free mod tool version). I downloaded the mod tool version as soon as it was released because i simply cannot afford the full version. i know and like this program very well and i would like to use it in place of milkshape because it seems (to me) to be much more user friendly. smoother controls and the like. Unfourtunately the tutorials here all seem to be for milkshape only. Are there any beginner tutorials like this one to give me a kick-start into learning to use XSI Mod Tool for modding? I know i said before i know this program but i also realize ONE missed checkbox or ONE wrong click can ruin everything so i'd rather not do this "blind"

edwardcullen1719
14th Dec 2009, 9:23 PM
when I get to the part about tools-PJSE, i dont have any other option sunder there except refresh filetable. Anyone know how i can fix this or what Im doing wrong?

*Horseman*
6th Jan 2010, 1:20 AM
ok ok...so I downloaded the unimesh thingys: Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files! UniMeshPlugins.zip (394.2 KB, 63138 downloads) - View custom content
3993 05-12-07 23:47 UniMeshReadMe.txt
57344 05-12-07 23:01 msFixWgts.dll
77824 05-12-07 23:12 msObjXSplitExp.dll
86016 05-12-07 23:14 msObjXSplitImp.dll
49152 05-12-07 23:04 msS2MExp.dll
102400 05-12-07 23:05 msS2MImp.dll
69632 05-12-07 23:23 msS2UBT1.dll
53248 05-12-07 23:15 msSAB4.dll
65536 05-12-07 23:21 msSGp1.dll
53248 05-12-07 23:17 msShowBone2.dll
53248 05-12-07 23:18 msShowBone3.dll
53248 05-12-07 23:20 msShowBone4.dll
77824 05-12-07 23:02 msTS2AutoJoint.dll
73728 05-12-07 23:07 msTS2MakeSGrps.dll
53248 05-12-07 23:09 msTS2NDM.dll
53248 05-12-07 23:11 msTS2VDM.dll
53248 05-12-07 23:24 msUWBFlag.dll
-------- -------
1036185 17 files

UniMeshImporterV409A.zip (43.5 KB, 19958 downloads) - View custom content
102400 07-27-07 10:23 msS2MImp.dll
-------- -------
102400 1 file

And I downloaded the trial version of milkshape 1.8.4. Now what do I do? Please help...I want to mesh asap.

telefen
8th Feb 2010, 11:25 PM
I just finished your first tutorial & everything is perfect. I just recently got both simpe & milkshake and I have to admit it's pretty scary looking at all these differnt functions but, to be sure I read thru your tut. several times before doing anything & it's slowly making sense. I wanna thank you for this patiently and exact put together tutorial. Excellent Job!

Sobix
13th Feb 2010, 11:09 AM
Hello, I have an issue... I am stuck on Part 3.
''2. Create a New File: File - New to create a new, empty file.''
I done what it asked for but I had this message pop up:
''This is not an appropriate context in which to use this tool''
Is SimPE Version 0.72.1.33855.
Sorry if there's a post about that and thank you.

telefen
17th Feb 2010, 6:55 PM
HP, I wanna thank you again for this tutorial. I forgot to ask you one thing though. In the first tutorial you mentioned, that this is only for maxis meshes. Question: where do I learn how to modify custom meshes for my own use of course. I've searched everywhere. Please I need help

Julep
20th Feb 2010, 7:22 AM
Meshing with BodyShop 2. Ive been searching for hours for THE correct answer to this and if this is the wrong part in the forums that I am now posting. Forgive Me. Pls be patient with me.

I have a mesh download and I wish to load it to BodyShop 2. I dont where to start for the MESH to show up in BodyShop2 so I can re-texture/create a new look for a certain MESH.

All I want to know is how to load a MESH in BodyShop2

Julep
20th Feb 2010, 7:23 AM
Meshing with BodyShop 2. Ive been searching for hours for THE correct answer to this and if this is the wrong part in the forums that I am now posting. Forgive Me. Pls be patient with me.

I have a mesh download and I wish to load it to BodyShop 2. I dont where to start for the MESH to show up in BodyShop2 so I can re-texture/create a new look for a certain MESH.

All I want to know is how to load a MESH in BodyShop2

kyobi
17th Mar 2010, 4:50 PM
First, thank you so much for the tutorial, its amazing ><!!!

ive folowed every instruction carefully, and I got good results =D!, but just with the tutorial mesh... I tried to do it with a different mesh and at the end, I get an invisible body!! just that D=!!! There's anyway I can fix it D=?

cheeseth
28th Mar 2010, 8:04 PM
Okay, Ive barley started the tutorial and its playing up. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Basicly, when I try to open the dress on SimPe ( part 3 step 5 in the tutorial), after I click on the file, it says to me, Unable to start ToolPlugin. Im sure I downloaded everything needed to run it, but it won't work.
PLEASE HELP!! Thanks!

cheeseth
28th Mar 2010, 8:09 PM
Okay, basically, SimPe wont open my dress file. Im on part 3 step 5 and whenever I try to open the file, it says to me, Unable to Star ToolPlugin. Im sure Ive downloaded everything I need for it, but it won't work. Pleas Help!!! Thanks!

ILoveHaydenP
16th Apr 2010, 12:14 PM
I did everything right, (well everything turned out the same as yours) and a defiantly PASTED my package into my downloads folder, but when i go to body shop, the latest package showing in create - new - clothes - formal is the first version of the package that we created before we edited in milkshape :( this has happened twice, i tried it before, so i restarted my WHOLE thing :( why is it doing this?

HannaBanana92
6th Jun 2010, 6:08 PM
On Part 7.3 when I am supposed to replace the GMDC with the edited version I keep getting an error message after I allow it to reload. The message says something like this:

Error while trying to open
Package: C:/Users/My name/Desktop/Tutorial dress files/TutorialDress_Meshfile.package
File: Geometric Data Container- (A series of letters and numbers)

Any reason why?

jamieemorgann
1st Jul 2010, 4:59 AM
Hey, I really loved this tutorial. It's very helpful and easy, but I'm having one problem. When trying to link both meshes, I'll first have open my original in my EA GAMES > Sims 2 > Saved Sims > Then My Tutorial Dress. Then when I go to link them, I'll go to my desktop and click my folder with my dress mesh in it, and it'll pop up and say "Could not use this package. Either zero or multiple CRES or SHPE recources were found. C: Users/Desktop/TutorialDressFiles/TutorialDress_MeshFile.package.

I'm sortof lost at this point, any help is appreciated. :D

jamieemorgann
1st Jul 2010, 5:00 AM
Hey, I really loved this tutorial. It's very helpful and easy, but I'm having one problem. When trying to link both meshes, I'll first have open my original in my EA GAMES > Sims 2 > Saved Sims > Then My Tutorial Dress. Then when I go to link them, I'll go to my desktop and click my folder with my dress mesh in it, and it'll pop up and say "Could not use this package. Either zero or multiple CRES or SHPE recources were found. C: Users/Desktop/TutorialDressFiles/TutorialDress_MeshFile.package.

Joselle
27th Jul 2010, 2:18 AM
Forgive me for resurrecting this thread, but I am unsure as to something: when downloading Milkshape, there are three listed on the page (aside from the most recent beta): MilkShape 3D 1.8.4 local download 1, MilkShape 3D 1.8.4 local download 2, and MilkShape 3D SDK. Which one is the right one to download? (I need to know as I downloaded the "local download 1" and so far it's not opening at all.) Thank you in advance for the answer!

violetatkinson27
12th Aug 2010, 3:27 PM
I followed the tutorial exactly and when it comes to replacing the GMDC after editing the mesh i get an error message that says simpe cant open the file tutorialdress_meshfile and if i try to proceed i find that the mesh hasn't been replaced by the edited one :help: . I checked that i was trying to replace the file with the correct thing and that i exported the mesh correctly from milkshape and can't seem to find a solution to my problem. Can you help??? :cry:

thanks, violetatkinson27

violetatkinson27
12th Aug 2010, 3:30 PM
I followed the tutorial exactly and when it comes to replacing the GMDC after editing the mesh i get an error message that says simpe cant open the file tutorialdress_meshfile and if i try to proceed i find that the mesh hasn't been replaced by the edited one . I checked that i was trying to replace the file with the correct thing and that i exported the mesh correctly from milkshape and can't seem to find a solution to my problem. Can you help???

thanks, violetatkinson27

VirusFlyTrap
21st Aug 2010, 11:37 PM
erm... I'm trying to link the mesh to the recolour file but the numbers don't change. And I have 7 files in the plug in view tab, not 8 or 6. I'm really quite confused.

newwavepop
14th Oct 2010, 4:46 PM

this is exactly whats happening to me. so im stuck at this point, part 4 4. anyone know the answer?

wendyuduhiri
1st Nov 2010, 1:09 AM
I've got the same issue as others and no one seems to have the answer. Still stuck on part 3. "Not all parts could be found for mesh:..." says my error after I try to extract the tutorial dress file. Anyone know what in the world my SimPE is doing or rather not doing?

LuvNstuff
27th Nov 2010, 4:00 PM
Please forgive me but I've been stuck on Part 4> .2
Nothing shows up. I have a screenshot.
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz275/Serenapawfectpal3/Meshing.png
Sorry to bother you, Thanks in advance.

fakepeeps7
27th Nov 2010, 8:27 PM
Have you clicked the 3IDR so that it's highlighted? Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the stuff to show up in the right-hand pane.

LuvNstuff
11th Jan 2011, 9:09 PM
Have you clicked the 3IDR so that it's highlighted? Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the stuff to show up in the right-hand pane.
Yep. That and right clicked, double clicked it several times.
When I open the file it always is blank. No 3IDR file or anything.
Maybe it's the version I'm using? Well thanks for the help.

fakepeeps7
12th Jan 2011, 1:18 AM
Upon looking at your screenshot again, I think it may be as simple as not having all the required windows turned on. Go up to the "Window" menu and make sure "Resource Tree" and "Resource List" are clicked. It looks like your "Resource List" window isn't open.

QTValeria
17th Jan 2011, 9:00 PM
alright, i did every step, revised eveyrthing.
now, i finished with my mesh, had hte last part of simpe come out right, but once i load up bodyshop and create a sim and head to teh clothing, it doesnt load, then crashes.
i've tried in-game also.
though, i did skip part 4 steps 7 & 8 (6 ?) because i thought it was unnecessary,
or was it necessary and thats what messed my bodyshop up ? /:

fakepeeps7
17th Jan 2011, 11:04 PM
alright, i did every step, revised eveyrthing.
now, i finished with my mesh, had hte last part of simpe come out right, but once i load up bodyshop and create a sim and head to teh clothing, it doesnt load, then crashes.
i've tried in-game also.
though, i did skip part 4 steps 7 & 8 (6 ?) because i thought it was unnecessary,
or was it necessary and thats what messed my bodyshop up ? /:

You have to put your mesh file in the Downloads folder or it won't work.

The steps are there because they're necessary... :)

tanina
24th Jan 2011, 12:35 AM
Hi, A few months ago I went through this tutorial several times, changing outfits around. The first few times it worked great. But the last few times the outfit isn't quite right. So I stopped, until today.

I started working on a wedding gown I had gotten online, wanting to add something to it. I had made the changes with photoshop and it looked alright in Bodyshop. Then I proceeded with this tutorial. I went as far as part 5, step six. When I looked at the dress it had extra material added to the sides, as if the model gained weight. I did it again a second time and it did it again, adding weight an material. The extra material is added on the left and right sides of the dress.

Any ideas?

porkypine
3rd Feb 2011, 8:14 PM
Hi, A few months ago I went through this tutorial several times, changing outfits around. The first few times it worked great. But the last few times the outfit isn't quite right. So I stopped, until today.

I started working on a wedding gown I had gotten online, wanting to add something to it. I had made the changes with photoshop and it looked alright in Bodyshop. Then I proceeded with this tutorial. I went as far as part 5, step six. When I looked at the dress it had extra material added to the sides, as if the model gained weight. I did it again a second time and it did it again, adding weight an material. The extra material is added on the left and right sides of the dress.

Any ideas?

Please provide a photo so we can see what's going on with your mesh. A UV map of the parts as well as the 3D mesh is helpful also.

haikomochan
6th Feb 2011, 5:54 PM
I've tried 4 different maxis outfits, but when I try to extract the mesh it says (example), "Not all the parts could be found for your mesh: afbodydressweddinghourglass_white. Help, please... :(

fakepeeps7
6th Feb 2011, 7:23 PM
I've tried 4 different maxis outfits, but when I try to extract the mesh it says (example), "Not all the parts could be found for your mesh: afbodydressweddinghourglass_white. Help, please... :(

Don't specify the colour. Use afbodydressweddinghourglass to extract... not afbodydressweddinghourglass_white.

haikomochan
6th Feb 2011, 7:37 PM
Uhm... I never specified for the color... I just clicked on the package in the saved sims folder...

WALLY ONE
7th Feb 2011, 1:30 AM
So I was completely fine up until Part 4, linking the mesh to the recolour. Step 4 is where I get messed up. I try to do as the instructions say, but instead of linking the mesh it gives me an error message saying: Could not use this package. Either zero or multiple CRES or SHPE resources were found. So . . . Any ideas as to what could be wrong? Your help is much appreciated.

fakepeeps7
7th Feb 2011, 7:00 PM
Uhm... I never specified for the color... I just clicked on the package in the saved sims folder...

Yes, you did specify for the colour when you went to extract the mesh parts. Read my post again carefully. Do not include the bit on the end that says _white. If you include that, you are specifying the colour and confusing SimPE. It just wants to look for the mesh piece, and all the colours (whether they are white, black, or purple striped) use the same mesh.

EDIT: Sorry... I just looked at the tutorial, and I can see why you might be having trouble. When you use the tool to extract the mesh parts, don't click on the Browse button; try just entering afbodydressweddinghourglass in the "Base mesh name" field instead.

cidkid7
22nd Feb 2011, 10:42 PM
Great tutorial got through it but at the end i realised that i deleted too much off the fat mesh so i had to start again and since then when i try to extract the four things it says " Not all parts could be found for mesh: afbodydresslongloose_sandfancy" and i dont know what to do now :|

Liza495
29th Mar 2011, 3:52 AM
I was suggested to have a look at this "basic" tutorial because from Garden of Shadows I fould one more specific tute on how to convert clothes from Teen to Adult and vice versa. My very first project was only to make for myself a AF version of a Tantra TF dress with exactly the same boots (it's called Gentle Storm based on a mesh for a Teaparty collection. This TF dress was converted for AF at Garden of Shadows but with other boots added that I like less than the original ones.

So at Garden of Shadows the tutorial on cothes mesh conversion confuses me still as its says that for a custom cloth mesh only a AF project using a Maxis outfit is necessary as a placeholder. I followed step by step but at the end in BodyShop the Maxis dress came totally borked.

I hoped to find more in the basic tutorial on Milkshape. All seems easy but in Milshape I had difficulties to zoom (Shift and right click did nothing) and therefore from the Maxis formal outift, if I managed to resize the waist to a wasp waist, well I removed too much on the back and in BodyShop I had two big holes on the back, near each armpit. I feel already discouraged. I'm impatient when I have a project at heart (just one outfit, basically I want to be an AF dress with the original boots, lol). I started clothes recolouring last year, starting directly with custom meshes and this way from project alpha edits (I guess it's how you call it in English) I managed to successfully combine parts, especially to change the shoes on dresses - Maybe I'm a sort of Sims 2 shoes fetishist, lol !.

If I had luck to find some very adapted tutorials in French for those Bodyshop creations, and especially for Milkshape, I'd be really so happy. But unfortunately after hard search I only find the very essential ones, at quite often inactive French forums or Sims 2 sites.

It would have been so fine as well in SimPE to have options a little similar to Milkshape for teen to adult conversions (and reversed), especially for people who, like me, don't plan to work or modify body meshes on a regular basis. Anyway I truly admire people who find the time and energy to create meshes, correct them, etc. Again I'm a little bit discouraged for now. To me just converting a TF outfit to AF is like trying to climb the Hymalaya...

air737
7th May 2011, 3:45 AM
Help please, I love the tutorial it seems very simple...however I started encountering problems from the beginning... When I export any dress (I already tried others than the one shown in the tutorial) it ONLY appears in projects... I get nothing in my saved sims folder, I can't find anything that looks like this: " '5f3a3d82_TutorialDress.package' - 8 random characters" , I only have the TutorialDress.package in the project folder with no letter or number combinations prior to it. Next to it I just have three Texture Maps and that is it. And in SimPe I get completely different files than GMDC, GMND, SHPE, and CRES... I have : 3IDR , CLST, TXMT, GZPS, TXTR. Moreover, I tried working with just as it is... but because of that at the part 4 of the tutorial step 4, I am unable to open my mesh file...since SimPe tells me "Could not use this package. Either zero or multiple CRES or SHPE were found." What should I do?
Thank you,
Aireane.

destiny1331
19th Aug 2011, 6:02 PM
Okay, I'm hoping that somewhere on here someone keeps their eye on this page, because I am a little confused / in need of help.

I've got the hang on making a mesh for female clothes, but its male clothes I am looking to make, I'd like to create a body mesh that is a stage before SBB or LBB, I've looked through and even tried typing in a few search ideas but this seems to be the best tutorial for body meshing, so here is my dilemma, so far any attempt at increasing the x & z on the full body has lead to some curious results, and selecting parts caused bodyshop to died on a few occasions.

I'm wondering what I need to do in order to make this mesh happen, are there some maxis meshes that are better than other for this or is it not possible, please help me :-)

fakepeeps7
31st Aug 2011, 6:21 PM
I've got the hang on making a mesh for female clothes, but its male clothes I am looking to make, I'd like to create a body mesh that is a stage before SBB or LBB, I've looked through and even tried typing in a few search ideas but this seems to be the best tutorial for body meshing, so here is my dilemma, so far any attempt at increasing the x & z on the full body has lead to some curious results, and selecting parts caused bodyshop to died on a few occasions.

Male meshes are done the same way as female meshes. Unfortunately, there's no real formula for increasing or decreasing size that can be universally applied. You just have to play around with the vertices until it looks the way you want it to. (I'm not sure what SBB and LBB are... Bodybuilder meshes? Creating a whole new stage in the game is beyond the scope of this thread. Any meshes you make using this tutorial would be custom and would have to replace one of the existing stages.)

I'm wondering what I need to do in order to make this mesh happen, are there some maxis meshes that are better than other for this or is it not possible, please help me :-)

It's not impossible. The easiest thing to do would be to find a mesh that's the closest to how you want your mesh to eventually look, and then use that as a base. Beyond that, though, it's just a matter of playing around with the mesh in MilkShape until it's what you want.

destiny1331
4th Sep 2011, 3:16 PM
Hey Fakepeeps7

Thanks for the reply, between your confirmation and HystericalParoxysm reply to a post I made generally I managed to create my before slim body builder / Lean Bodybuilder stage mesh and skin tone as well. It's just as you had said playing around in milkshape until things look like how I picture them. I found using either underwear or pj's give the best results and not only that but can be recoloured into skin tight trousers also.

Thanks again.

charmalique12nyc
5th Oct 2011, 11:57 PM
I wanted to create my very first hair mesh now that I have the full version of Milkshape and Simpe. I followed the mesh creating instructions to the T, but I'm having trouble locating the GMDC mesh for the sims package I've chosen for the project. I couldn't find it on the Results portion of the Name Map Search and Resource List. I also could find the GMND, SHAPE and CRES meshes on the list to extract.

I tried to create them from using the Resource info tab. When I check the Generic Rcol Editor, I see no tab for geometric data container.

Did I do anything wrong in the process? Are the certain things that I overlooked or missed? Can you help me get the mesh groups of of the sims package? :help: I apreciate your reply. Thanks.

fakepeeps7
6th Oct 2011, 1:14 AM
Try searching using "afhairshortcute". Including the colour will just mess up your search.

A word of advice, though: If this is your first meshing project, I would recommend trying something like clothing rather than hair. Hair is bound to have multiple mesh groups and be a lot more complicated. Learn the basics of body meshing inside and out... and then tackle some hair.

ligersgirl
9th Jan 2012, 10:40 PM
I fallowed the whole Tuturial and everything but when i went to replace it in SimPe it wasnt in the folder i went threw and its there but its not showing up when i search for it in SimPe, did i do something wrong?

MankyUK
16th Mar 2012, 1:53 PM
Hiya all! :) Im stuck on 'Part 3: 5 Find and Open Your Recolour' by using the sim mesh extractor. I find my recolour package in my saved sims folder, double click and simpe comes up with the error message 'Not all parts could be found for mesh: Fiona Wine Lingerie'. im currently trying to edit this maxis full body mesh: http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/sim_detail.php?asset_id=504638&asset_type=sim&user_id=72683

I cant see what i am doing wrong! I downloaded the sim from the sims exchange, opened up bodyshop and made a new project selecting the underwear that i want to edit, import it back into the game, and then when i try and extract the mesh in simpe it comes up with that message! I must be reading or interpreting the tutorial wrong or having a completely blonde moment because all i can see at the moment is that i am meant to gather the mesh details through the recolour package in saved sims as is stated in the tutorial. Or.....does the fact that this downloaded maxis mesh from maxoidmonkey shows up as a custom file in bodyshop when you view it have something to do with it! Therefore am i having problems because simpe thinks that this mesh is a custom mesh? In the beginning of this tutorial says 'You must use a Maxis mesh for this to work! Editing custom meshes is not covered in this tutorial, and will not work the same as described here' - if that is the case then my question would be how would you extract a custom mesh?

He-he, Im getting very confuzzled here - any and all help would be much appreciated :)

fakepeeps7
16th Mar 2012, 10:40 PM
Or.....does the fact that this downloaded maxis mesh from maxoidmonkey shows up as a custom file in bodyshop when you view it have something to do with it! Therefore am i having problems because simpe thinks that this mesh is a custom mesh? In the beginning of this tutorial says 'You must use a Maxis mesh for this to work! Editing custom meshes is not covered in this tutorial, and will not work the same as described here' - if that is the case then my question would be how would you extract a custom mesh?

A downloaded mesh will register as a custom mesh, even if it was from MaxoidMonkey (a custom mesh is any mesh that doesn't exist in the game files on your Sims 2 disks). You can edit custom meshes, though. Follow the regular instructions, using a Maxis mesh that's similar to your custom one (in this case, you could probably use some existing ladies' undies); make the recolour, build the mesh package, link the two packages together (as per the tutorial). Then open up your custom mesh package and export the GMDC. Edit that in MilkShape. Then, when you're ready to replace the GMDC in your new mesh package, use the GMDC you just edited.

tontoinjun
29th Oct 2012, 8:51 PM
I thought I would review the uni tut again. After linking I see a different dress than the one selected in Body Shop. Did Tutdress 2 and the same wrong dress showed again. Followed your suggestions about saving in the downloads, saving and opening simpe, etc. My skintone project worked at step 4 but when I imported the edited mesh the body dissapeared again. That is when I decided to do the unimesh tut again. So here I am with a similar problem. I don't see how the dress mesh could change unless BS saved the wrong dress. I have a feeling that Tutdress 3 would give the same result. Any suggestions?

fakepeeps7
29th Oct 2012, 9:31 PM
I thought I would review the uni tut again. After linking I see a different dress than the one selected in Body Shop. Did Tutdress 2 and the same wrong dress showed again. Followed your suggestions about saving in the downloads, saving and opening simpe, etc. My skintone project worked at step 4 but when I imported the edited mesh the body dissapeared again. That is when I decided to do the unimesh tut again. So here I am with a similar problem. I don't see how the dress mesh could change unless BS saved the wrong dress. I have a feeling that Tutdress 3 would give the same result. Any suggestions?

What are you using for a base? Is it a Maxis mesh or a custom one? Are you sure you're doing the linking correctly (not saving until you've clicked on another resource, as per the instruction pop-up in SimPE)?

tontoinjun
30th Oct 2012, 2:35 PM
What are you using for a base? Is it a Maxis mesh or a custom one?

Just Maxis for a base.

Are you sure you're doing the linking correctly (not saving until you've clicked on another resource, as per the instruction pop-up in SimPE)?

Yes, I am sure I am doing it correctly, I do click back to the 3dir to see if the numbers change and then save. The dress change at step 4 link checking suggest some form of paranormal activity going on with this win 7 machine. I plan to install sims 2 from disk on my xp machine and compare each step and numbers to sims double deluxe on the win 7 machine. In the past I have done all of these things with good results. Something is amiss and I promise I am going to get to the bottom of it.

fakepeeps7
30th Oct 2012, 6:19 PM
The dress change at step 4 link checking suggest some form of paranormal activity going on with this win 7 machine.

Aah, yes. Windows 7. Such a lovely piece of garbage. :lol: It's entirely possible that it's messing something up. (Meshing used to be a whole lot easier on my XP machine. I didn't have to do all the extra steps in SimPE and the Bone Tool in MilkShape actually worked.)

Let me know if you see a difference when you try your experiment.

tontoinjun
13th Dec 2012, 5:37 PM
Aah, yes. Windows 7. Such a lovely piece of garbage. :lol: It's entirely possible that it's messing something up. (Meshing used to be a whole lot easier on my XP machine. I didn't have to do all the extra steps in SimPE and the Bone Tool in MilkShape actually worked.)

Let me know if you see a difference when you try your experiment.

I found all of my problems! The first time through when you name Fix Integrity the Group ## were screwed up.

Another Fix Integrity, just click OK, and the Group ## straightened up to Ox1C050000.

Every thing is fine and works in Happy Valley. Not win 7 fault, just me following rote instructions with no understanding of what I was doing...still don't, just a slow learner, and a long way to go. Thanks for all your help and good advice.

Dizzy-noodles
19th Feb 2013, 2:29 PM
Hello, I was following this tutorial, everything was going fine until step 6, where it says 'Run Milkshape'.

I can't get Milkshape to run at all, I have clicked every way I can think of, a box pops up with 'do you want to allow the program to make changes to the computer, I click Yes, and nothing happens.

I'm using Windows 7 if that's relevant.

Thankyou

porkypine
19th Feb 2013, 6:28 PM
Hello, If you have Windows 7 64 bit, install Milkshape to your Program files (x86) folder because it's a 32 bit program. Also load your sims Unimesh plugins there also. Run it as administrator and see if that works. It does work on Windows 7 because that's what I have.

BloomsBase
19th Feb 2013, 6:32 PM
i am going to try aswell...
hoping it will fix those bonetool crashes

fakepeeps7
19th Feb 2013, 7:52 PM
Hello, I was following this tutorial, everything was going fine until step 6, where it says 'Run Milkshape'.

I can't get Milkshape to run at all, I have clicked every way I can think of, a box pops up with 'do you want to allow the program to make changes to the computer, I click Yes, and nothing happens.

I'm using Windows 7 if that's relevant.

Thankyou

I get the same pop-up with the same question, but clicking "Yes" works for me.

Are you using the full version of MilkShape? I'm just wondering if your trial period has expired or something. If not, then it might have something to do with Windows 7 (it doesn't run all of MilkShape well; some things like the Bone Tool don't work at all).

You could try running MilkShape in XP mode. Right click on your MilkShape desktop icon and choose "Properties". Go to the "Compatibility" tab. Click the little box for: "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". I've got mine set on Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Click "OK". Then try double-clicking the icon and see if it runs.

Sheeit*
19th Jun 2014, 8:32 PM
I have done the tutorial numerous times, uninstalled and re-downloaded both SimPE and Milkshape, but still no changes will appear in bodyshop.
I'd say it's something I'm doing wrong in SimPE as I'm very careful to put the new mesh file in the 'Downloads' folder
Help?

fakepeeps7
19th Jun 2014, 9:07 PM
I have done the tutorial numerous times, uninstalled and re-downloaded both SimPE and Milkshape, but still no changes will appear in bodyshop.
I'd say it's something I'm doing wrong in SimPE as I'm very careful to put the new mesh file in the 'Downloads' folder
Help?

If my changes won't show up in Body Shop, it's usually because I've forgotten to link the recolour to the new mesh. I forget regularly. :giggler:

Sheeit*
19th Jun 2014, 10:36 PM
If my changes won't show up in Body Shop, it's usually because I've forgotten to link the recolour to the new mesh. I forget regularly. :giggler:

I've been so meticulous, and I'm fairly sure I've done that every time
It's just pretty frustrating :rolleyes:
danm and blast :'3

fakepeeps7
2nd Aug 2014, 7:05 PM
My finished mesh wouldn't open in simpe.. help?

You can't "open" the mesh in SimPE; you must import it into your mesh project that you created earlier in the process by replacing the existing GMDC with the one you created in (and exported from) MilkShape.

fakepeeps7
3rd Aug 2014, 12:54 AM
That's what I meant xD I must have worded it wrong when I tried to import it it didn't work. I must have did something wrong.. guess I'll have to try again. The people on this site probably hate me for asking all these stupid questions xD

What do you mean by "it didn't work"? Did you get an error message? Did SimPE crash? Did your computer explode? :!: If you're a little more specific, I might be able to help. I've had my fair share of SimPE problems and meshes not working.

Ninaerys
22nd Oct 2017, 6:31 PM
Hello guys,

First and foremost, I am new in Mod The Sims, I am still playing Sims 2, I have the Ultimate Collection. I'm french so sorry if I am not writing well in English.

I tried to follow the tutorial about meshing (here the link : http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:Unimesh_1_-_New_Mesh_Basics#Part_1_-_Create_a_Recolour)... But I think I failed. First I've tried the old tutorial, I thought there was no update of it because of the fact that Sims 2 is getting really old by now. Completely by chance I found this tutorial that looks more recent. I've just try it 2 times already, reading each steps many times to be sure I am doing well. Cleary it seems to be easier comparing to the old way I've tried recently, but still it's not working for me.

Here is my problem : In the step 4 "Link the Mesh to the Recolour", 6th point said that I have to check in BodyShop if my recolor is working. Of course I did Create Parts - Start New Project - Create Clothing - Formal but my dress is transparent. I mean, there is the head of my sim and nothing from neck to feet. When I put my mouse on the supposed icon on the formal list, it is written "TutorialDress".

Can someone explain me what to do ? Please be synthetic and explain me by dash, number or buller point, so that I can follow your explication easier and not be lost because of the langage border.

Thank you,
Ninaerys

simmer22
22nd Oct 2017, 7:11 PM
If the mesh doesn't show, there's a lot of things that could be wrong, so without having the files to look at it's near impossible to tell what the problem is. The first step would be to go through the tutorial and check that you've done all the previous steps, and be sure to check the file, not just think "I've done that" and move on. You may have forgotten to click the "commit" button before moving on, meaning the chages weren't added.

First of all, you may need to delete the accessory/cigen/groups/contentregistry files (2-4 files in the "The Sims 2" folder in Documents) - always try this first.

Most likely something is wrong with the mesh itself
- mesh isn't properly linked to the skeleton via bone assignments
- Mesh hasn't been linked to the recolor properly
- comments aren't added properly
- Something went wrong when replacing the mesh in the file
- The names of the meshgroups don't match the names in the recolor file

Ninaerys
22nd Oct 2017, 7:28 PM
Thank you for you anwser.

But in the tutorial it says"Now close your 3DIR resource, without committing, by opening a different resource. After that you can continue as normal. Remember to save." Click OK on this. Now I've tried to to the link again, commit and save but it's still not showing of in bodyshop.

How can I check the elements you quote by dash ?

simmer22
22nd Oct 2017, 10:39 PM
You shouldn't click commit after linking the 3DIR (but that's one of the few exceptions to the rule), just click another resource and then save, like the popup says.

If nothing shows up, there's often a problem with the mesh - but without looking at the files it's impossible to say exactly where things went wrong, since there are a whole lot of steps. If you want, I can take a look at the files.

Ninaerys
22nd Oct 2017, 10:47 PM
Oh yes I will appreciate that, I really want to learn and create my own things. But how are we gonna manage it ?

simmer22
22nd Oct 2017, 11:59 PM
If you mean how to post the files, you should be able to pack the files in a zip file and attach it to the post, under "additional options". I'll need to look at the package files (mesh + recolor), and possibly also the Milkshape file.

I'll take a look at the files, hopefully figure out what's wrong, and tell you so you can fix it yourself - that way you know until next time, so if you ever stumble upon the same problem you'll most likely be able to fix it on your own.

Ninaerys
23rd Oct 2017, 12:25 AM
I am sorry I don't understand what you want according to the tutorial. I mean, from the tutorial I have :
- TutorialDress_MeshFile : One in en special folder (Tutorial part 2) and the same one in my folder Downloads (Tutorial part 4, point 7)
- TutorialDress package : Located in the folder Projects with textures alpha and things like that in .bmp format
- 5f852559_TutorialDress : Located in the folder SavedSims

Is that you want me to share ? Just for me to be sure about what you are asking and give you the right things.

About the Milkshape file I don't know what it is. I stopped the tutorial when I was in part 4 "Link the mesh to the recolor" point 6 "Check in Body Shop". So I stopped the tutorial before using 3D software

simmer22
23rd Oct 2017, 1:44 AM
I'm guesssing that would be "5f852559_TutorialDress" + "TutorialDress_MeshFile", assuming these are the ones you've edited and then tried to link together.

Are you planning to make the mesh later? You can of course link the mesh to the recolor before you do anything in the mesh program. I'm guessing then that something went wrong in the linking process.

When you get to the 3D software part, you'll be making a new mesh, probably either in Milkshape or Blender, depending on the tutorial and mesh program you're using. The Unimesh tutorial is based on Milkshape, but there are a couple of other tutorials based on Blender. (Milkshape is a pay program, though rather cheap. Blender is free, but can be difficult to use).

If you're new to creating, you should read through the tutorial and collect the programs you need before starting, so you have everything ready and have a rough overview of what you're doing. There's not much point to going through a meshing tutorial if you don't have the tools you need, and/or can't get them for some reason.

Ninaerys
23rd Oct 2017, 9:47 AM
I am planning to try to make a mesh.

I thought that I can use this method for Milkshape and Blender aswell. I wanted to use Blender, my 30 days for Milkshape are done.

Here my zip : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8phGNLZUem3aGQ1OC1KMEp1Nms/view?usp=sharing

simmer22
23rd Oct 2017, 9:58 AM
The archive file appears to be broken (won't open in winrar or alzip, and says the file appear broken) - could you try again?

Ninaerys
23rd Oct 2017, 11:28 AM
New link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8phGNLZUem3TGs1dEF5cjdaTEU/view?usp=sharing

Chris Hatch
23rd Oct 2017, 3:20 PM
At first look I couldn't see anything wrong then I noticed the hyphenated 'e' in the internal mesh names, after switching them for a regular 'e' and re-linking everything it worked just fine.

simmer22
23rd Oct 2017, 4:30 PM
I second that. Don't use any special characters when using the "fix integrity" function. Only Aa-Zz with no extra dots (like ë ô ã), numbers 0-9, and preferably only hyphens (-) because underscores ( _ ) transfers into a punctuation mark. Punctuation marks don't usually cause troubles in the resource names (I haven't noticed any), but if you get into the habit it's easier to follow through for filenames and such.

This means no punctuation marks (.,;:?!), or special characters like @£$¤#"^¨~*'?=}][()/&%<> and so forth. The same is true for filenames, though you can use underscores (-) and hyphens ( _ )

(edit: for some reason certain special characters show weird on this site. Another reason to avoid them...)

Ninaerys
23rd Oct 2017, 6:36 PM
I tried again from the beginning and now it is showing up in Bodyshop. Thank you so much guys : Merci beaucoup !! :) It is already late in France so I will complete the tutorial tomorrow. I'll leave a message to keep you informed.

Ninaerys
24th Oct 2017, 3:53 PM
I I took a look on the tutorial mesh for Blender (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=248699&c=1&ht=&page=1&pp=25#startcomments) , it says that I have to import there a Sims 2 smd files, but there is no this option in the import list of Blender. What should I do ?

simmer22
24th Oct 2017, 5:13 PM
You have to install the SMD script linked at the top of the post.

Chris Hatch
25th Oct 2017, 12:57 PM
You'll probably find the SMD plugin does not work for the current version of Blender, I use Blender version 2.49b where it does work perfectly. Previous versions of Blender are available on Blender's website but you will need to 'dig around' a bit to find them, for Version 2.49b try:
http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.49b/