PDA

View Full Version : Can you change package to sims3pack?

DragonFlykm
13th Jun 2009, 11:53 PM
Can you change package to sims3pack?

Some of the patterns I have found have been created as .package. That means that you have to place the file under the sims directory and there is no custom icon on it in the game.

I would like to change these to sims3pack so I can place them under the downloads folder and install them.

Currently the plugin from simsresourse and the one here does not allow importing so I can do this. Is there another way? I also tried to open in photoshop but that doesn't go.

Srikandi
14th Jun 2009, 12:33 AM
Not yet, but there are folks working on it.

There's some discussion of that here: http://www.simlogical.com/Sims3ToolsForum/index.php?topic=120.0

poisondel
15th Dec 2009, 1:33 AM
i'd like to have sims3pack too instead of package file
did you had any luck in finding any convector?

Tashiketh
15th Dec 2009, 9:29 AM
I wrote a Package to Sims3Pack convertor, but it needs modifying to fully support patterns.

nai.ian
3rd Jan 2010, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, if somebody is doing a program to change .packages to .sims3pack, let us know about the process, I'm waiting a program like that for a long time :\

flowerpower
8th Jan 2010, 4:36 AM
Me too! Since WA came out I had to remove all my packages files or it was almost impossible to play. But I miss the different hairs and objects!

mooncastle
5th Feb 2010, 1:44 AM
omg me too! seriously we need a program!!!

Tashiketh
5th Feb 2010, 8:28 AM
No, you don't. :) Just run the Sims 3 Dashboard program and fix all problems and your game should return to normal in no time.

JDFS
6th Mar 2010, 2:03 AM
err... Dashboard doesn't work anymore... at least not for me.
It says Dashboard has stopped working...

skitstwisties
10th Mar 2010, 11:29 PM
With my game, I KNOW that none of the package. files are corrupt (I checked). My game simply refuses to work if there is any package. file in the mods/packages folder!

HystericalParoxysm
10th Mar 2010, 11:46 PM
There's got to be something wrong with the files you're using or the way you're using them then - package files work fine for everyone else, barring problems with individual files with issues. They didn't write a version of the game just for you that doesn't like packages (the game itself uses packages) so it must be something you're doing wrong.

Jemenai
19th Mar 2010, 10:18 PM
Not yet, but there are folks working on it.

There's some discussion of that here: http://www.simlogical.com/Sims3ToolsForum/index.php?topic=120.0

Site is not found....sadness....

Claire DC
6th Apr 2010, 5:31 AM
I wrote a Package to Sims3Pack convertor, but it needs modifying to fully support patterns.

Would love to know how you're doing with this? x

Also if anybody else has anything in the pipeline please speak now haha. x

DustyDreamer
12th Apr 2010, 5:08 PM
Did anyone find a solution to this?
For some reason my patterns wont show up at all in the sims3 game, none are corrupt, I ran it through the dashboard. Im so confused as everything else shows up in game. I only downloaded houses on my launcher now Im downloading patterns also..and alot of my patterns are in package form. :/

Thanks in advance for any advice.

fluttereyes
14th Apr 2010, 1:00 AM
Dusty, I had that problem with patterns and converting them with workshop didn't make a difference, so changing them to sims 3 pack isn't the answer. By converting I mean re doing them in workshop. I'm working with no custom patterns right now and it's driving me nuts. I had patterns from other people and a whole load of my own and it's the same with them all, oh except one which installs as a s3 pack for some odd reason.

xenanorth
11th May 2010, 8:32 PM
We also like to have sims3pack too instead of package file from MTS, and hope for a solution here soon./Best regards xena

Inge Jones
11th May 2010, 8:52 PM
I plan to ask Peter if he can make a tool for this, but in the meantime you can use TSR Workshop, which makes Sims3Packs natively.

kroken4ever
11th May 2010, 9:31 PM
Finaly some more ppl that have the same problem as i have. Very frustrating when the game not go up and running when you have the packagefiles in.

I realy miss my patterns. :faceslap:

Delphy i put my trust in you :help: when EA Games put us all out in the cold.

xenanorth
11th Jul 2010, 9:53 AM
Anyting new???? We still need files from Mod The Sims at sims3pack instead of package file.

HugeLunatic
11th Jul 2010, 2:50 PM
Why? Just place them in your Documents/Mods/Packages folder. Easier to install and easier to remove if you need to, they also then won't package with lots like sim3packs do.

Inge Jones
11th Jul 2010, 3:36 PM
We do now have a completed Sims3Pack packer, http://dino.drealm.info/den/denforum/index.php?topic=198.0 but it is not user-friendly, inasmuch as you'd have to know how to manually create and link the xml and image that are always included in a sims3pack

tonicmole
13th Jul 2010, 10:38 PM
How can someone say there is not a problem with .packages? It is universally known to cause game lag once you exceed a certain amount. The game was not designed to read 1000+ package files on top of the ones that currently exist, hints why official DL content is released via sims3pack.

HystericalParoxysm
13th Jul 2010, 10:55 PM
The package format is used by the game itself. It is also possible to combine packages together.

granthes
14th Jul 2010, 6:56 PM
How can someone say there is not a problem with .packages? It is universally known to cause game lag once you exceed a certain amount. The game was not designed to read 1000+ package files on top of the ones that currently exist, hints why official DL content is released via sims3pack.
Combining packages is quite possible in a user friendly fashion with my custom launcher, and it does improve game load speed quite dramatically in some cases. I have no way of measuring lag caused by large numbers of packages, so I don't have numbers for the improvement during game-play.

If anyone is interested, you can find it here (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=408296)

I am also working on a set of tools for working with Sims3Pack files, but those are a few weeks away from being ready to use.

cherubeem
14th Sep 2010, 3:27 PM
Package files doesn't work for me now, but sims3pack works.. So It would be awesome if there is a program..

HystericalParoxysm
14th Sep 2010, 4:20 PM
If package files aren't working for you, it's because you did it wrong. If ya do it right, they work just fine. ;)

computergeek93
25th Sep 2010, 7:22 PM
Package files doesn't work for me now, but sims3pack works.. So It would be awesome if there is a program..

Same here

jitaek0201
30th Oct 2010, 12:28 AM
hey guys~!
its been more than a year since this was posted...
is there package to sims3pack converter came out?
im dying to have that program..
im running sims 3 late night and that does not go with non-default package files.. T.T

RepulsiveDesire
2nd Nov 2010, 10:51 PM
I'm running LN and all my package files work just fine. You can do it insanely tediously via TSRW. Open up the package file and then save it as a .sims3pack file. You will have to do it one by one though. There isn't a program that batch processes that i know of.

xenanorth
19th Feb 2011, 8:12 PM
package files are working Slow. sims3pack files are working Fast & Better.

Question: We want to choose sims3.pack.files or package.files when we download here at MTS (many homepage has that possibility now, but we are still waiting for that possibility here). Still no solution????

omegastarr82
21st Feb 2011, 3:02 AM
If packages are going to slow for you then that means you have too many. Weed out the stuff you don't use/need and merge the rest. The launcher is worthless, sim3packs are even more worthless.

the ceiling fan
18th Apr 2011, 12:16 AM
This sims3pack VS package has been going in since the dawn of sims 3 and sure the package files allow for ease of installation/removal but yes, they do cause serious game lag, and hear's a little proof for every one. I have a brand new computer with a really amazing graphics card and all EPs and no SPs and the latest game patch and yet i only ever keep 2 package files in the mods folder at once and it still causes game lag, and don't say that it has to do with damaged packages because the ones i'm currently using are the friendly fire mod and new animated ceiling fan from here at MTS. Us Mac users need a package to sims3pack converter just as badly, please :cry: . :help:

BloomsBase
27th Apr 2011, 4:29 PM
sims3packs aren't even used by the game, the moment you install a sims3pack the manager will convert it to package and will put it in your DCBackup folder
It will however update the dcdb0.dbc file located in your DCCache folder, some sort of registry wich will boot the game a little faster?
I dont think the actual gameplay will be faster or slower wether you use sims3packs or packages

Fallenindarkness
13th May 2011, 2:07 AM
If package files aren't working for you, it's because you did it wrong. If ya do it right, they work just fine. ;)

not true, i have used many packages files in my mods/packages folder, but all the sudden, if i have ANY cc in that folder, my game freezes and crashes constantly. I have installed cc ever since the first sims 2 game so i know im not doing it wrong.

Prodigal Me
28th May 2011, 1:28 AM

I don't believe you. Like many other people, I'm using a new, mid-high end computer that runs the game very smoothly without custom content. I can only have around 10 .package files in the Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages folder before the game takes millennia to load and CAS and Build/Buy modes are unbearably slow.

I can however have many files in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCBackup installed from .sims3pack files using the Sims 3 Launcher, and the game still runs like new. I've tried with and without both; .sims3pack files are the way to go.

simsample
28th May 2011, 3:01 AM
I can however have many files in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCBackup installed from .sims3pack files using the Sims 3 Launcher, and the game still runs like new. I've tried with and without both; .sims3pack files are the way to go.
Sims3packs are actually installed to the DCCache folder, bundled into larger .dbc or .ebc files. The DCBackup folder is the extracted contents of the Sims3Pack, unbundled- essentially, a bunch of separate packages- a product of the unpacking process and not needed. Therefore, try deleting the DCBackup folder- your CC install does not require these files but the game will still read them- and this could allow you to read more individual package files in your Mods folder.

Smeo101
7th Aug 2011, 5:28 AM
any updates on this?

bettybrant
3rd Sep 2011, 4:35 PM
Yes, I too would like to know whether there is a converter to switch package files to Sims3packs in batches. I used to have a number of package files in my game, all neatly merged into several large files. Now I find (since Town Life) that if I include too many of them in my Mods folder, the game is unbearably laggy and slow. It's become unplayable. Removing the package files (except my hacks, which I merged) fixed this problem and the game again runs like new. However I miss some of my favorite package files and would love to have them again, via the launcher. I know it's slow and clunky to install things, and I know it's a pain to get them out again, but (for me) the game sure runs better using files installed in that way than in any other way.

Inge Jones
3rd Sep 2011, 4:38 PM
A converter is coming soon, but no batch mode planned as yet. Unfortunately it needs user input to set up the description fields in its current state.

bettybrant
3rd Sep 2011, 6:25 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Even converting them singly, as long as the descriptions and thumbnails are intact, would suit me fine at this point! Any eta on this lovely little converter?

Inge Jones
3rd Sep 2011, 7:29 PM
Peter was working on it most of today... at last test it pretended to install via the launcher but was lying lol! Perhaps a week?

Really, the block to a batch process is that the packer would have to read the package contents, which is fine as long as you have strictly one object per package. As soon as it meets any non-standard package, combined packages, even modulars, it's potentially going to mess something up or guess wrong. The way we're planning it would take user input to save it trying to work out what to read in the package.

zaide_chris
4th Sep 2011, 1:54 AM
If a easy to use tool gets released I see people packing tuning mods, core mods and script injector mods in to sims3packs. Then when they pack lots and worlds they(tuning mods, core mods and script injector mods) are going to tag along resulting in mod conflicts along with and older versions of mods being installed to peoples games with out them knowing. Resulting in "Mods" getting a even worse name do to the crashes/lost games that will be caused by the mods easily spreading by means of sims3packs of lots.

Inge Jones
4th Sep 2011, 11:02 AM
Well that's a possibility. Anyone who plays their game to have a serious relationship with their sims' lives needs to stick to CC made in EA-authorised ways, using EA's tools. Those of us who enjoy the experimental aspect of the game will want experimental tools that might break their game. Anyone who is intelligent enough to use a computer in the first place is intelligent enough to understand this concept. Unauthorised CC will always carry a risk.

SeverusKnight
31st Jan 2012, 2:20 AM
If packages are going to slow for you then that means you have too many. Weed out the stuff you don't use/need and merge the rest. The launcher is worthless, sim3packs are even more worthless.
I only have like 200 packages, when I compress them, t hey don't show up for some weird reason, and my game neighborhoods don't load with them on and I really need the packages I have for this neighborhood I'm trying to create :(

Eternal Rose
14th Apr 2013, 8:57 PM
If you use Delphy's Multi Extractor on .package files it will change them back to sims 3 pack files. I have done this many times, with no problems. I also checked it with Custard & all was good. :)

http://modthesims.info/d/364038

Inge Jones
14th Apr 2013, 11:27 PM
Oh also this is now finished: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/index.php/topic,198.0.html

shezlaar
25th Jul 2013, 10:43 AM
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=473766

This converts package files to sims3pack file, works brilliant
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MySimsLife1993
6th Jul 2015, 2:39 AM
use this, http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=473766 I'm about to test it out on my .package files but all of the package ones already changed to sims 3 files soo yeah I'm just only allowed to have soooo many mods so, I have to delete a bunch.... Sadly... But I believe this is what you're all looking fort...

GothicMonkey69
18th Feb 2017, 1:52 AM
use this, http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=473766 I'm about to test it out on my .package files but all of the package ones already changed to sims 3 files soo yeah I'm just only allowed to have soooo many mods so, I have to delete a bunch.... Sadly... But I believe this is what you're all looking fort...

SPOILERS: It doesn't work...

Inge Jones
18th Feb 2017, 9:38 AM
http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUploadsRemote/uploads/198/ is the new download for the one I mentioned above. Sadly I think I forgot to save the instruction thread.