PDA

View Full Version : Create-a-Pattern - Why is it fuzzy in-game?

jonas3333
5th Jul 2010, 5:27 AM
Firstly, I made some cherries in Illustrator CS4. I saved them as .png and put them in CAP. I used one of the leaves in CAP to add to my pattern and worked numerically as I wanted this to be a small pattern which CAP does not seem to be friendly for.

They looked great in the program - In the game, on the wall they have a fuzzy bleeding effect - as do the other patterns I made with this.

What causes this? Am I not saving my files in the correct .png format? Am I using too much detail? I would think that by using Illustrator, they would be crisp as can be since it's a vector program.

Should I be using a different way to make patterns? Because I couldn't seem to grasp the former program used even though I recently graduated with an Associates in Computer Illustration. The seamless factor drives me mad and CAP does that so well.

vapid
5th Jul 2010, 5:34 AM
What resolution is the picture? Try using a larger and smaller size?

jonas3333
5th Jul 2010, 6:39 AM
Well, I went with a 256x256 in Illustrator and had to reduce it(the image) greatly in the CAP. Maybe I should make something much smaller first... But of course, I used the leaves from the CAP and made them smaller too - you'd think those would be clear no matter what though.

Are others not having issues with the fuzziness/bleeding?

LoonehWannabe
5th Jul 2010, 6:54 AM
Are others not having issues with the fuzziness/bleeding?
I'm not fuzzy (but my kitty is) and I don't bleed a lot, either. So nope.

J. M. Pescado
5th Jul 2010, 8:00 AM
The fuzziness and bleeding is a direct side effect of the DDS compression used by the game, which basically halves the resolution of the image and then blurs it.

jonas3333
5th Jul 2010, 11:27 AM
Ah - So this is truly unavoidable then. That's a shame. I was baffled because some people's patterns seam so clear, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

I can live with it knowing that's the case. It was driving me batty thinking it was something I was doing wrong.

-BlueMurder-
20th Jul 2010, 12:17 AM
i believe if you let the cap resize an image itself on import the result is better than making it under 256 x 256 with photoshop or similar.