PDA

View Full Version : Looking for shading tutorials

Fallon-Fly
14th Feb 2005, 3:36 PM
I'm looking for some shading tutorials and so far have come up with little more than nothing. Can you point me at some and/or give me some tips? It doesn't have to be step by step. I appriciat any tutorial/tip even if it's just a single short sentence.
Thanks in advance
~Fly~

sagana
14th Feb 2005, 6:30 PM
Did you read Faylen's clothing tutorials? One of them (I don't remember which one) has some great tips on using the burn and dodge tools in photoshop to get shadows.

Other than that, it would help to know what you're trying to shade and what program you're using :) One thing you can do in photoshop is put clothes (either from bodyshop or web images or whatever) on a layer on top of the one you're working on, transparency the layer a bit (or a lot) and use that as a base template to burn and dodge shadows - just remember to make the upper layer invisible now and then so you can see what you're getting and to use the tools with larger (brush size) softer (amount of burn or dodge) settings to start with and move the sizes down and hardness up later to get more detailed (otherwise it looks too "dramatic").

Some other tips, shadows always have a highlight right next to them - so anytime you're making something darker, you need to make the corresponding area lighter. And clothing "folds" in triangular shapes... look at a lot of clothing images and you'll notice somewhere the shadows always come to kind of a point (might be a blunt point, but it's there) to give that effect - not straight lines next to each other :)

PS - the amount of dark and light generally correspond in shadows as well - that is, the deepest shadows will have the brightest highlights. Shadows that are more "gray" will have a grayer highlight. And the more dramatic the difference in color, the more "metallic" (or shiny) the material will appear - metal has a very dark black and a corresponding bright while in thin very apparent lines next to it. Clothing has more subtle shading as cloth doesn't "shine" as much. So if you're making a chain, you want darker darks and lighter lights (and less inbetween them). That's part of what makes the materials appear to be what you want.

Hope that helps.