PDA

View Full Version : Veronaville Home Makeover Contest- We are finished!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

purplegopher
24th May 2013, 4:21 AM
Phae - all of those, except the living room table, are found in Keoni's GoS Advent 2012 gift (http://www.digitalperversion.net/gardenofshadows/index.php?topic=28723.msg659895#msg659895), which are recolours of two sets by Karas (https://sites.google.com/site/karaskaraswatchingsociety/sims2). The living room table is from the Pino set on this page (http://archive.sims.shanegowland.com/mirror/Ogularama/www.ogularama.com/objects3.html).

joandsarah77
24th May 2013, 10:33 PM
Phae, the whole mill house set up with the wheel and grinding of the flour is awesome. I've seen the water wheel before but wcif the grinding stone parts you used inside the house?

Jo, WCIF the pretty blue and white serving table in your dining room? Also the beach ball, that's a great detail I need at my beaches! Is that nengi's window set?

I'll have to check where the table is from as I downloaded a few in search of the right colour. The beach ball I'll also have to check but that's an old download. The windows are nengi's sea and surf windows.

Phaenoh
25th May 2013, 1:49 AM
jo, the inside grindstone bits are a CC floor alter which I'll look for, a shiftable OMSP to raise it up, and an FT coffee table to provide a base.

joandsarah77
25th May 2013, 5:33 AM
I would not have guessed that. I had the water wheel for awhile in my own medieval hood, but I thought by itself it looked silly so I got rid of it.

The beach ball may have come off the booty. Does that mean it isn't allowed? :faceslap: There are beach balls here: http://www.modthesims.info/d/236198
The Table is from 4ESF http://www.4eversimfantasy.net/themecottagedining1.htm The recolour comes from http://annosims.net/global/index.php I think it was in a archive or a retired creators area. I know it took me ages to find on there. Sorry I can't be more specific. :/

RowenaObsidian
25th May 2013, 12:18 PM
Rowena, wcif the table under the bathroom sink? And is that gautla's shower? If not, wcif that as well. Ooh, and the nice desk upstairs.

The sink and shower are here (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=308210) and the desk is part of Buggybooz's Office Allsorts (http://buggybooz.blogspot.co.uk/2008/10/office-allsorts.html) set

twinx86
25th May 2013, 5:50 PM
thats it. I'm deffo in for the next round, I cant stand looking and not joining in!
And Phae? that house???!!! WOW!

Karen Lorraine
25th May 2013, 7:21 PM
thats it. I'm deffo in for the next round, I cant stand looking and not joining in!
And Phae? that house???!!! WOW! It's great fun twinx but hard work finding all the CC and deciding which family goes with which house :)

aaries16
26th May 2013, 3:47 AM
Phaenoh, sorry it took long to reply, this weekend is my moving weekend. Those counters are actually a recolor of the Krampt Industries Value Counter here (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=500056).

I'm very thankful I could compete in and complete the contest. I enjoyed working with these houses. They weren't bad really. Just a few too many doors at time. Thank you judges for your time and feedback :)
I'm starting grad school in a week, so I don't know how intense my schedule will be to allow for entering the next round; I may have to just watch from the sidelines for the next ones, but I do look forward to seeing them.

Karen Lorraine
27th May 2013, 9:12 PM
Just wondering when we might see our scores?

porkypine
27th May 2013, 9:42 PM
OopS! Probably my fault! :faceslap: Sorry I've been very busy and nowhere near a computer AND the Food Network's Great Food Truck Race was in town this weekend doing their cook off for Season 4 round 3. Good food! (and super long lines! so tired standing.) Plus, having to run arond town to find the trucks... :) This episode is going to air sometime in Late August, early September.

The producers made them get rid of their starches for Saturday - which was a kind of bummer for the contestents. It was still good though.. lol (I'd have liked some starches with my meal but hey.. It's a tv show challenge.) We liked the tikatikataco truck (Indian street food - grilled spicy chicken on spinach leaves with raita.. and pickled jalapenos - very tasty) and then the Aloha plate (grilled teriyaki steak on lettuce rolls which was surprisingly refreshing.) then the social sliders for sliders minus the bread. They had some delicious punch and fruit salad.. We didn't get the philly cheese 'Sanboni' steak mainly because we aren't much for cheese steaks.. They had a nacho truck with what others said was pork chili verde on nachos without the nachos but they ran out of food before we could get in their line. It was funny, everyone was texting each other where the trucks were. The only one we didn't see was the hot dog truck. They were out at the motocross tracks.
Then yesterday we had a family bar-b-que.... Sovery busy and TIRED! :beer:

Oh, well, food eaten....I'll get the scores in today in a little while.

porkypine
27th May 2013, 10:29 PM
As far as getting some vacant houses for Strangetown goes. We could jettison some families and extract the 'house only' using anygame starter.

justJones
28th May 2013, 1:42 AM
Still waiting for scores from one more judge, karen.

I've thought about that, porky.

Should get the rest of the scores today and have them up tomorrow.

Phaenoh
30th May 2013, 2:53 PM
jones, do you think you will start the Strangetown cycle up soon, or let it rest a while? I personally don't think I would be able to enter one that started too soon. I struggled keeping up with this contest and could use a break to catch up on everything else in my life. I'd really like to finish out the cycle, but I can't in good conscience sign up for another contest just yet. This one nearly killed me. It also tried desperately to kill off my game and my AnyGame is now refusing to work properly. Luckily, no data is lost, but its going to take some more fighting to get Veronaville safely tucked away in a PermaGame again. /me kicks at AGS.

justJones
30th May 2013, 3:35 PM
Oh, it'll be a while. I definitely need a break.

Karen Lorraine
30th May 2013, 5:02 PM
Oh definitely up for another round, whenever you're ready Jones :) This is such great fun!

lipe2k
30th May 2013, 7:57 PM
@Phae, I'm so sorry! I completely forgot to post your WCIF here! I've been having some very busy days lately, but the armchair is part of this set: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=388607 Your entry was breathtaking, by the way. If you didn't use the AL windows, I would swear those pictures weren't from The Sims 2.

@Jones, thanks a lot, a break would be great right now =D But I'm looking forward to the next round a lot! Strangetown will be a real challenge, I hpe we can get some wacky families!

joandsarah77
30th May 2013, 10:11 PM
How are the scores going?

obino
31st May 2013, 8:28 AM
This has been a lovely contest. But whats holding the scores.
@jones7659 If the remaining judge is not submitting, you can do it as an emergency judge.
I understand there are busy schedules they need to do, but its almost a week and am sure all will want to see the scores.
Your contests have always been lovely and this was not an exception. Hope to see the next you come up with

AdonisPluto
31st May 2013, 9:36 AM
Wow I just cannot believe this lovely contest is almost over. I am really looking forward to what comes next.
Thanks all for posting the WCIF objects
@obino, once the scores are ready, Jones will post it.

Phaenoh
31st May 2013, 1:50 PM
I don't think the scores are much later than they have been for other rounds, its just that we don't have another house to get started on to keep us busy while we wait. I'd rather not have the EJ pulled in at the last minute, we've had a good run with this set and I'd like to finish out with the same judges.

Raiya44
2nd Jun 2013, 3:04 AM
Well, while checking back to see if we got our final scores, I thought I would give a thanks to everyone involved in this contest - previously I had not played this neighborhood and it has been incredibly fun to makeover the houses!

As for my suggestion, I found myself waiting for previous rounds scoring before starting on the next house, because and maybe especially as a first timer, I wanted to see the feedback I received before working on the next, leaving me in a bit of a time crunch on the last couple.

Although it would drag the contest out over a longer time period, I would like to suggest keep running the 2 weeks for submitting your entry, then take a week off for the judging before starting the next 2 week period.

Perhaps it would benefit all involved, so the pressure is not so heavy on the judges to feel like they need to hurry up on scoring, and the pressure isn't on the contestants who are waiting to see the previous round feedback before starting the next house.

Thanks!

TheDeadSim
2nd Jun 2013, 3:34 PM
I must say you've all done a fabulous job with this last round. I've enjoyed judging but I would have to agree with what Raiya said. As a judge you need a decent amount of time to look at each entry. I spent many hours in a single sitting for just one round and it is extremely hard to find time to put aside for each round. I'm sure the contestants would love the extra time themselves especially so that they can take in the feedback, then work from there. This is just a suggestion though and I feel it could make a significant difference on a possible future cycle of this type of contest.

Thanks Jones heaps for your incredible effort in preparing, then hosting this contest. You've done a great job and I'm sure it'll be great to do it again!

CheekyBugga
2nd Jun 2013, 8:52 PM
Oh definitely up for another round, whenever you're ready Jones :) This is such great fun!

I agree Kaz, I might even join in the next one :) as long as the houses are not too small, you know how I feel about lil homes haha

justJones
2nd Jun 2013, 11:09 PM
Sorry about the scores guys. My computer and I are having some disagreeaments. Hoping to have them up by tomorrow evening at the latest.

Karen Lorraine
2nd Jun 2013, 11:17 PM
Oh dear Jones, never mind, what's one more day lol

Edit: Itching to know my score and I am going away with work for a few days now and will not have any internet connection. Hoping it will all be up when I return on Thursday evening (UK time).

justJones
4th Jun 2013, 6:57 PM
And the winner is, HL!!! No crazy last round yard barn this time!

Sooooooooo sorry for making you wait so long. Though, Phae's right it hasn't been a whole lot longer than the other rounds, you just don't have a new lot to distract you this time ;) Rolling out the "new style" for the feedback this time.
Would appreciate if you could update the first page table again Phae. Back to working frm my phone so editting a post is really difficult. New posts aren't to bad because I just type them out in Word on my PC, then copy and paste the whole thing, but editing a table on my phone is a nightmare.

Contestant, Overall Design, Family Needs, Furniture/Room Placement, Budget, Structural Integrity, Bonus,Round Total,Total
joandsarah77,28,29,26,10,40,5,138,547.5
RowenaObsidian,26,29,27,10,40,5,137,555
IfIWereAZombie,-,-,-,-,-,-,-,127.5
aareis16,27,28,27,10,40,5,137,546
naiyasfury,-,-,-,-,-,-,-,131
lipe2k,26,28,27,10,40,5,136,540.4
randomlyyellstuff,27,29,28,10,40,5,139,553.5
karen lorraine,25,29,30,10,40,5,139,559
NatteryakToad,27,29,26,10,40,5,137,535.5
Sunbee,-,-,-,-,-,-,-,-
HugeLunatic,30,29,27,10,40,5,141,562
Hencing,27,29,29,10,40,5,140,558
SimMegaptera,-,-,-,-,-,-,-,-
purplegopher,26.5,29,30,10,40,5,140.5,552.5
w_sims,-,-,-,-,-,-,-,413.5
Croutonian,-,-,-,-,-,-,-,138
tcbandie10,-,-,-,-,-,-,-,132
Sparklycookie,-,-,-,-,-,-,-,135.5
Raiya44,28,29,28,10,40,5,140,557
Phaenoh,29,28,29,10,40,5,141,551

Judge 1
Overall Design: 9\10 - I was really impressed with this design! Nice beachy furniture with a wonderful beach out the back of the house.
Family Needs: 9/10 - The family needs seem to be well covered here.
Furniture/Room Placement: 8/10 - Most of the furniture placement seems okay however you've only got a two seater couch facing the TV (The room did have plenty of space to spare). The table could have done with another two chairs but that's not a big issue. I think you've worked well with the fact there's no back door even though there's a beach there.

Judge 2
Overall Design: 9 \10 – Very good colour combination on the outside and that outdoor is really lovely with its landscaping
Family Needs: 10/10 – I believe you got the family needs correctly. I liked that your outdoor was tailored to look like the beach
Furniture/Room Placement: 9/10 –The furniture placement is good and will allow for free movement.

Judge 3
Overall Design: 10 +/10 - I absolutely Love your beach yard! So creative and cute, :)
Family Needs: 10/10 – It seems to suit the family well.
Furniture/Room Placement: 9/10 I would not have blocked the hall door to the upstairs bathroom. The kids have to stumble downstairs or go through the parents room to use the facilities in the night.

Budget: 10/10

Structural:40/40

Bonus:+5

Judge 1
Overall Design: 8\10 - The house isn't too bad but there seems to be something a lot of items missing which take make the design look not quite complete (more details would be nice). You've adapted well with the gold and yellow theme.
Family Needs: 9/10 -
Furniture/Room Placement: 7/10 - I love how you've put the kitchen in the front room (This is similar as to how I imagined the plan would be). Unfortunately you've done something strange with fencing the property entirely in. The sims have to take a long hike to get to their courtyard as well as their driveway which directs them along the main side walk. Same with the driveway. Perhaps something decorative in the hall?

Judge 2
Overall Design: 9\10 – The outdoor looks really nice, though it seems to miss a little bit of that landscaping. I love your colour choices and I think the interior looks wonderful
Family Needs: 10/10 – I absolutely feel you did great here and I do love the master bedroom
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 –I feel that you have good furniture placement there which allows for free movement

Judge 3
Overall Design: 9/10 I understand the family has a small budget but the house is a bit spartan in landscaping and wall decor. I think a few more sports wall hangings of some sort would enhance the interior. And some flowers or vegetation for the yard. I do like your kitchen view. Especially that deer wall hanging. :)
Family Needs: 10/10 It fits the family's needs
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 - I would have used a larger table to feed people for those times when they'd have friends over to watch a game. The large living room is good layout for gatherings.

Budget:10/10

Judge 1
Overall Design 8\10 - First of all, I think the outside of the house is great! It's just that when I looked at the inside pics, I was cringing at the sight of too many bright colours. I understand you were aiming for the red and yellow theme however the way it's been implemented would give me a headache if I were living there.
Family Needs: 9/10 - The family needs appear to be well addressed.
Furniture/Room Placement: 7/10 - Most seems okay however you could have done with a fourth see for the dining table, you've blocked off one of the double door areas, and I'm not too fond of where you've put the TV covering half of the hall access. I'm not quite sure what the yellow platforms are for but I don't quite think they fit right.
Judge 2
Overall Design: 9\10 – That’s a good house that you have. I love the colors, but I still kind of feel that the color in the master bedroom much. Loved the outdoors and feel the outdoor and landscaping were nice
Family Needs: 9/10 – I feel you did good here and I kind of thought that a little gym for a family that have been involved in sporting activity would have been great.
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 – It sure allows for free movement and it is absolutely lovely. I love the arrangement of your living room and the kitchen setting is just wonderful as well.
Judge 3
Overall Design: 10 +/10 I love what you did with the yard. I'd get some OSMB's and put flowers on those Torrox steps. WCIF that floral tree in the backyard? I love your retro kitchen and the fireplace facade goes with yout colorcheme quite well. :)
Family Needs: 10/10 Very good for the family
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 Probably the best arrangement for the large family room in back. I would not have blocked the door of your counseling room. I'd put the couch by the window so you could open the room for large gatherings. Not so fond of the red bathroom.

Structural: 40/40

Judge 1
Overall Design: 8\10 - I think you've played it safe with the design however the bedrooms upstairs look quite dull.
Family Needs: 9/10 - Family needs seem to adapted for.
Furniture/Room Placement: 7/10 - I like how you've tried to make more of that front room, but it probably would have been better had you not put a second table in there and blocked off a window (The 8 seater is more than enough and in real life you wouldn't have a second table just to play a llama game on). The kitchen seems very tiny to cater for the amount of dining seats available. I'm looking at the guest bedroom and can't help but stare at the blank wall which has no furniture against it or anything hanging on it (rather boring).
Judge 2
Overall Design: 9\10 – I love your out door. I love the exterior wall color choice. Though the landscaping is simple, I think it compliments that outdoor really well and the interior looks good.
Family Needs: 9/10 – Absolutely wonderful and lovely. I just kind of feel those clutters were missing and some of the walls look empty. I felt that that space occupied by the four sitting dining in the sitting room would have looked lovely with the dinning there but a different
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 – Just lovely. That living room of your is something to die for. Just that I do not think that 12 sitting dining space is ideal
Judge 3
Overall Design: 9/10 The front presentation of the home is appealing yet the lack of landscaping for the rest of the yard detracts from the lot. Since the family is a clutterbug family, I would have expected more wall hangings in more of the rooms.
Family Needs: 10/10 This house suits the family's needs.
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 You've done the most classic use of the downatairs space. The large dining area next to the kitchen which keeps it's doors in case of burnt food. The sitting area adjacent to the gaming table is also classic use for the architectural style.

Judge 1
Overall Design: 8\10 - The red and gold works alright, there just seems to be too much of it everywhere (A little bit spread over the house would have been nicer).
Family Needs: 9/10 - The family needs are well catered for in this house.
Furniture/Room Placement: 8/10 - I like how you've included an office in the small room on the left but unfortunately you've left the kitchen area extremely small with barely any preparation or dining space (only two seats at the main table). The upstairs however seems fine.
Judge 2
Overall Design: 9\10 –I simply love everything about your house from color combination to furnishing, you sure did a good job
Family Needs: 10/10 – Really good and I simply love the furnishing. Just simply lovely
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10- Your placements allow for free movement
Judge 3
Overall Design: 10 +/10 CUTE CUTE CUTE! I like your little poolside area and the garden colorspots. Good use of color throughout the home.
Family Needs: 10 /10
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 I like what you've done with your kitchen area. Even though it doe3ns't really go with the home's architectural style it works for this family's modern interests. Making the old kitchen space into a private office works well. The upstaris layout is good and colorful - Pleasant to look at.

Judge 1
Overall Design 8\10 - The design is very nice, even with adding in some of the red colours. I was a little confused that there was a different colour scheme inside the house and also the size of the wall hanging in the bedroom.
Family Needs: 9/10 - The family should be very happy with the house you've made them.
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 - Superb!! First house I've seen that has a decent amount of furniture to make a functional space in each room. Plenty of living space, enough benches, suitable dining space, and you've even got a little work area in the dining room.
Judge 2
Overall Design: 8\10 – Nice exterior and interior decoration you did here. Love the exterior walls and interior ones also.And I think your colors were really good.Just that I did not find it nice having an opening between the kitchen and the bathroom on the floor level.(Not sure if that’s a glass door. But if it is, its not good there. A wooden door would have been belter)
Family Needs: 10/10 –Simply lovely and I felt you met their needs well
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 – Absolutely fine with the furniture placements and I feel you did a nice work there.
Judge 3
Overall Design: 9/10 I like the patio area outside. The gravel goes well with the board deck and pool area however, I do not care for the gravel on the other side of the house – I would have used grass mainly because real gravel is very expensive for landscaping. The large colum windows on the front of the house are interesting. Your nursery is darling. :)
Family Needs: 10/10 Works for this family
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 The room containing the fireplace is nicely done. I like the large red floral wallpaper. I LOVE your wall mural – it certainly gives a different feel to the room.

Judge 1
Overall Design: 8\10 - I don't feel that the exterior to the best style, however the interior is great! I never would have thought to separate the colours in rooms rather than cramming them in together.
Family Needs: 9/10 - This house would be quite suitable for the family in mind.
Furniture/Room Placement: 8/10 - The house seems to feel a bit empty. Some more furniture and decorative objects inside would have looked great.
Judge 2
Overall Design: 9\10 – The house looks good, and I love your landscaping just that I did not feel the relevance of the scrapped junk car outside.
Family Needs: 10/10 –Simply okay to me and I think you considered their needs
Furniture/Room Placement: 9/10 – I like your decorations and love the way your furnitures are placed.
Judge 3
Overall Design: 10/10 The yard is well done. I like the flower beds. It is rather formal in layout. I really like the round window for the baby's room. There are plenty of lounging areas for large gatherings.
Family Needs: 10/10 It suits the family's needs well.
Furniture/Room Placement: 9/10 - I do not like the kitchen layout. It would be an absolute bear to cook in. The sink needs some counter space around it. Put the fridge in that location instead of the sink. Also the juice bar needs some space in front of it. You've pushed the serving side against the wall.

Judge 1
Overall Design: 10\10 - Fantastic job with the red and gold!!! It's done so elegantly and I hate red and gold together! You've kept a stylish modern look everywhere else too!
Family Needs: 9/10 - The family needs seem to be addressed well here too.
Furniture/Room Placement: 7/10 - The living room looks just a bit squished in with all the seats (perhaps they could have been spread out just a bit more). Some additional trees surrounding the house couldn't hurt. The master bedroom seems a bit cramped as well.
Judge 2
HugeLunatic
Overall Design: 10\10 – I love the overall structure of the house from color choice and the exterior look of the house. The interior choices are really lovely and I just love it.
Family Needs: 10/10 – Really good and I feel you really went out for it.
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 – Simply adorable.
Judge 3
Overall Design: 10/10 Interesting use of red and gold. It does not overwhelm the interior color scheme but is preset in all the rooms. Well done. I like the yard. You do not have plants everywhere but all sides of the home are finished with plenty of grassy areas for a sudden ball game.
Family Needs: 10/10 suits the family's needs well.
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 The room layouts are very good and seem to have good traffic flow patterns. I like the use of half walls in the bedrooms.

Judge 1
Overall Design: 8\10 - Some of this red and gold seems to work but some parts do not (the yellow carpet with red walls just doesn't look right).
Family Needs: 9/10 - A suitable home fitted just right for this family.
Furniture/Room Placement: 9/10 - The kitchen is a bit small but would probably work for this family seeing it's only small itself. I'm just looking at that mirror and thinking it looks nice but probably isn't best for small children around the house (It could have worked well on the wall maybe).
Judge 2
Overall Design: 9\10 – The overall design is absolutely wonderful. I love the interior very much. Outdoor is quit okay just that a bit more of landscaping would have been nice.But still good.
Family Needs: 10/10 – I think you got it good.
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 – Nicely done and allows for free movement
Judge 3
Overall Design: 10/10 The yard is subdued but it works. The interiors are very nice.
Family Needs: 10/10
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 The rooms traffic patterns seem to flow well. The kitchen is useful. The family area is inviting you even have room for end chairs in the dining area. The kitchen wallpaper is cute. I don't particularly care for the wall colors in the family room. Perhaps a print or subdued colors if you have them. Maybe the red is too dark for the with the red curtains? The master bedroom is attractive.

Judge 1
Overall Design: 7\10 - Although your furniture and room placement works extremely well, I feel that the design could do with a bit more work. A few of the wall coverings seem to clash both inside and outside of the house. The furniture choices seem very lovely I just don't think the walls compliment those choices.
Family Needs: 9/10 - A very happy family will get to live here!
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 - Incredible effort!! I nice huge kitchen spread all around the room with the fireplace between (just what I had in my mind)
Judge 2
Overall Design: 9.5\10 –I love the interior of the house. Looks really stunning. I just feel the outdoor lacks that beach theme but I still love the simple landscaping.
Family Needs: 10/10 – I think you took their need into consideration.
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 – I think you did a wonderful job here.
Judge 3
Overall Design: 10/10 The house works well, the yard is good for a family with kids. The swing should have scuff marks under the swing's chairs. The pool is unexpected. I would have changed the colors of the windows and doors. The brown detracts from the overall color scheme.
Family Needs: 10/10 works well
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 I really like your kitchen even though it has all those prints – It somehow works well – I think it's because you stuck with blue, white and gold. That pool location is unexpected. It works with the yard. I would probably move the monkey bars away from the pool though.

Judge 1
Overall Design: 9\10 - This looks like a nice luxury home that the family would love to settle in.
Family Needs: 9/10 - Family should be quite happy here.
Furniture/Room Placement: 8/10 - The furniture and room placements seem fine however you've blocked off the door in the hallway.
Judge 2
Overall Design: 9\10 –I love the interior of the house. Looks really stunning. I also love the simple landscaping.
Family Needs: 10/10 – I think you took their need into consideration.
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 – I fell the sitting furnishing allows for free movement
Judge 3
Overall Design: 10 +/10 Pretty front view!
Family Needs: 10 +/10 This house suits this family very well. There is plenty of clutterbug stuff around the home but it's navigable.
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 Well done. There is plenty of clutter suitable for this family yet sims can move around well.

Judge 1
Overall Design: 9\10 - Great job at an old style design whilst implementing some elements of red and gold effectively.
Family Needs: 8/10 - I must say I wouldn't have picked this house for that family. I feel that a mill just isn't suitable for babies or young children. Especially seeing how that section of the house isn't entirely blocked off.
Furniture/Room Placement: 9/10 - I must say I was worried when you sacrificed two of your downstairs rooms for mill activities but they you've made up for that with the rest of the house. You've also got a decent sized kitchen which is great to see.
Judge 2
Overall Design: 10\10 – Simply lovely. I kind of feel that maintaining a medieval was hard but you did prove me wrong. I adore the outdoor landscaping and color combinations.
Family Needs: 10/10 –I feel their needs were considered.
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 – The furniture placement surely allows for easy and free movements
Judge 3
Overall Design: 10 +++/10 OUTSTANDING! Love the yard, the use of the flying buttresses, the water wheel. It is all good!
Family Needs: 10 +/10
Furniture/Room Placement: 10/10 This is a great layout for this medieval family. It works well with the water wheel.

Structural: 40/40
Bonus: +5

Everyone has done so wonderful the entire contest! Thank you all for making it another success :)

Phaenoh
4th Jun 2013, 9:35 PM
You know it's a close competition when you tie for 1st on the last round and that still only gets you up to 8th place! :rofl: While HL didn't toss a barn out into the yard at the last round, I think I did the very same thing with that bridge on the third round. That move cost me way too many points to recover from. :faceslap:

This was some seriously fierce competition! Thank you jones for hosting and thank you judges for all your time. Having done both, I know they require a lot of time and energy. I look forward to the Strangetown cycle, but I am looking forward more to the time before it starts! :beer:

joandsarah77
4th Jun 2013, 10:48 PM
Yah scores!

Judge one, there really was no room to spare in that lounge without putting a couch quite near a doorway which didn't look at all nice, because I tried. Even a lounge chair looked over cluttered in that space. This is why I added another lounge area outside.

Judge three, that is the parents private bathroom so the kids better not be stumbling through their at night! Let's have them fall down the stairs. *evil grin* Actually the stairs have non slip deck paint so I'm sure they will be fine. My own RL kids very rarely go to the bathroom at night so I will assume sim kids to be the same.

Glad you all liked the beach, I was very happy with how that turned out. :)

purplegopher
5th Jun 2013, 2:10 AM
Congratulations HL! And thanks for making this contest interesting, everyone!

porkypine
5th Jun 2013, 6:22 PM
Congrats to everyone for FINISHING! and Congrats Lunie on the win. :)

I plan on competing in Strangetown instead of judging. :)

HugeLunatic
5th Jun 2013, 10:44 PM
Yay! Finally won something! :Pint: Thanks judges! And great job to everyone else, it was soooo very close with this contest.

Can't wait to give Strangetown a makeover, after a well deserved break of course!

joandsarah77
5th Jun 2013, 10:50 PM
Congratulations HL! http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/joandsarah77/emotions/10-1.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/joandsarah77/media/emotions/10-1.jpg.html) I forgot to say in my above post, how bad of me. It was a great contest with very tough competition!

justJones
6th Jun 2013, 2:46 AM
I've been playing around with Strangetown a bit this evening...Man, it's a pain! I'm going to need the "break" just for planning this one!

Phaenoh
6th Jun 2013, 3:43 AM
Looking at the starting post dates, there was five and a half months between the first and the second cycle. Each contest has taken roughly 2 and a half months, so hopefully, we have until end of August before the next one. I personally think, that would suit me just fine. This contest has run me ragged! ;) I'm trying to get these houses uploaded and I've got so many other things I've back-burnered that I want to get back to.

I also can't believe my manners. Congratulations to HL! I see that you have your shiny new blue ribbon icon already!

AdonisPluto
6th Jun 2013, 5:12 AM
Congrats HL. And this has been a lovely one.

Croutonian
6th Jun 2013, 5:16 AM
Well done HL :)

randomlyyellstuff
6th Jun 2013, 12:05 PM
Congratulations HL! Jones and judges, thank you all for the work you've put into this. And to my fellow competitors, thanks for such great competition :)

twinx86
6th Jun 2013, 2:02 PM
Gratties to HL! absolutely fab contest, have enjoyed being a spectator and hoping to join the next one!
Well done to everyone though, was wonderful to get some inspiration for my own game =)

Karen Lorraine
6th Jun 2013, 5:30 PM
Congratulations to HL! :gjob:

Perhaps I'll beat you next time? :)

Note to the judges: Thank you for all your wonderful comments.
With regards to the last house, I changed the downstairs bathroom into a utility room and so a door was not required :) I mentioned it in the text immediately above the picture.

Note to Jones: Thank you for hosting the contest, really looking forward to the next round :)

Phaenoh
7th Jun 2013, 2:33 PM
I'm very impressed how much I've improved between this contest and the last cycle. I've gone back to the Pleasantview houses and the biggest difference is my improvement in landscaping. I hadn't thought I'd actually noticeably get better at stuff, but I really think I have. I thought my Plantsim house was great with its garden and stuff, but the judges pointed out it was very contrived. These Veronaville houses have really helped me try to do natural looking gardens and there were so many gorgeous gardens and ponds in this contest and I learned a lot from how everyone else approaches them. I just wanted to thank everyone who participated and hopefully everyone learned something or tried something new out as well. :)

justJones
7th Jun 2013, 8:03 PM
Are you guys sure you wanna do Strangetown? Lol. I've been doing redos for it to figure out budget issues...these houses are awful! You guys are gonna have some serious work to do with these ones!

Karen Lorraine
7th Jun 2013, 9:57 PM
Yes! Definitely up for a challenge, Jones :D

joandsarah77
7th Jun 2013, 11:24 PM
I'm in! :D

porkypine
10th Jun 2013, 7:22 PM
Yep! Strangetown is in dire need of a makeover. :lol:

p.s. Strangetown should have supernatural families..

Phaenoh
10th Jun 2013, 7:33 PM
You could include aliens, but any other supers would either have to be alluded to or given a few options in case the contestants are missing some of the EPs.Actually, alluding to them might be more interesting. You could word it so it could be taken in a few different directions. 'Creature of the Night' could easily either mean vampires or werewolves. 'The Undead' could be zombies or vamps. 'Child of the Forest' could refer to plantsims, werewolves, or bigfoot. I'm sure you could come up with some more to include witches and servos. Or you could just require that each family be a different type of super and leave it up to everyone to decide who is best suited as each. You could also allow demi-supers like mermaids, satyrs, snakes, dragons, fairys, and whatever else CC supers can be created these days so people with only basegame wouldn't be excluded. Lots of ways of going about this if you wanted to add another level. :)

TheDeadSim
11th Jun 2013, 6:58 AM
A suggestion: If you do go through with strangetown, it might be interesting to mix up the rules a bit to allow you to change the internal floor plan or something along those lines. If the current rules don't work as well for strangetown just try mix it up a little bit :)

Liv
11th Jun 2013, 9:10 AM
HugeLunatic, congratulations :)
Other contestants - it was fun to watch your houses, so many nice ideas appeared during the contest! Thank you :)

I hope I'll have much enough free time to take part in Stangetown makeover!
What aboiut mad scientist doing their researches here? The Sim Army training its (their?) soliders in hard, desert conditions or testing new technologies in underground laboratories? :D Post-apocalypse themed design? ;) (or anything looking more industrial)
If I played Strangetown now, my city would be like that :D

Phaenoh
11th Jun 2013, 2:45 PM
Liv, nothing stopping you from doing yours themed like that regardless. I managed to more or less pull off medieval veronaville after all! I'd love to see some of those themes myself. Circe and Loki are all tricked out steampunky in mine, I've got a small modern alien colony going as well, but I think I'm going to steal some of your ideas there to make my own hood more interesting. Mad scientists and secret army bases sounds good to me. ;)

Liv
11th Jun 2013, 4:09 PM
Yeah, Phae, and you did well :) I meant including those 'themes' in families' descriptions, so all contestants would have to deal with industrial/steampunk/post-apocaliptyc etc. themes. Your 'medieval Veronaville' was optional (if I may call it like that), and all those aforementioned themes would be required.
I'd love to see your version of Strangetown! It seems to be great! (yay for alien colony! :D )

Phaenoh
11th Jun 2013, 4:36 PM
Liv, it would be awesome to see a themed contest! I think that could be an interesting contest on its own. Instead of a foundation or renovating contest, perhaps you have to build it from scratch or have to incorportate certain weird items or solve some problem for the families. Maybe running such a contest is in your future? I'd be all over that, I need more ideas and houses for my Apox hood.

As far as my Strangetown, its sadly one of my more neglected hoods. I haven't given up on it, but most of my others are better at this point. I did add some roads to it and built it up into little neighborhoods, but its not anywhere near picture-bragging yet. It used to have Crittique's airport and now it doesn't and I don't know what happened. Strangetown just being strange I suppose. The best bit about it so far is the Asian vacation hood alien space colony (http://www.phaenoh.blogspot.com/2012/10/new-vacation-destinations.html) I have half started. I just have too many projects. :faceslap:

TheDeadSim
11th Jun 2013, 4:43 PM
Liv, that's a nice thought but not everyone is into those themes, nor has all the time to obtain custom content to complete them effectively. It is a general makeover contest and I like the idea of the finishing houses being open to all possibilities. That kind of challenge might suit a contest for a different theme though and could be quite interesting :)

Phae did a fantastic job on all her houses, especially the last on by putting a twist on the typical thought of a home makeover. I already make themes that are a bit out of the usual for myself but when it comes to a makeover contest I'd love to attempt a house of modern style which I'm familiar with lol. I'm sure whatever Jones may decide for a future contest is up to her though and I'm sure will be a great hit.

porkypine
12th Jun 2013, 12:42 AM
Liv, that's a nice thought but not everyone is into those themes, nor has all the time to obtain custom content to complete them effectively. It is a general makeover contest and I like the idea of the finishing houses being open to all possibilities. That kind of challenge might suit a contest for a different theme though and could be quite interesting :)

Phae did a fantastic job on all her houses, especially the last on by putting a twist on the typical thought of a home makeover. I already make themes that are a bit out of the usual for myself but when it comes to a makeover contest I'd love to attempt a house of modern style which I'm familiar with lol. I'm sure whatever Jones may decide for a future contest is up to her though and I'm sure will be a great hit.

People don't have to actually have the Eps nor do they show sims anyway in the makeovers. They just have to build something suitable for the 'strange' families..All the contestants have CC, some more than others. Just build a place suitable for aliens. It can me modern or globular... vampires? Dank and dark or elegant..... Werewolves, could be a regular house with lots of digging holes in the backyard and chewed furniture . :lol: Plantsims could have nice gardens... zombies - decaying apocalyptic style... servos - mech houses... mad scientists could have secret scientific lairs.... etc. After all, Strangetown is all about the 'strange' people.

justJones
14th Jun 2013, 11:07 PM
What porky said, lol. I had already planned to at least throw in one or two supers. Because like porky said, you don't actually have to have the EPs. I would state what they needed. Or I could make the families just human, but then in stead of a bonus room, make the bonus be if you made it for what ever super I specified.

And I too would be all over a steampunk or post apocalyptic themed contest!

Don't know if anyone still looks at this thread, but thought I'd let you all know I've officially lost my mind ;) I am still giving everyone a break before Strangetown...BUT...I don't know what to do with myself without a contest to host. SO, I submitted an app for a different contest today, lol. This is a comm lot contest. I give the outside walls. There are 6 businesses to choose from, only 4 rounds, but I wanted to give more variety. Each business has 6 requirements and a theme. Another one of my lying in bed not sleeping thoughts.