PDA

View Full Version : AAAAGH Seams!

Srikandi
19th Oct 2014, 6:54 AM
A couple of folks have noticed that when making a mural type wall, there are visible seams between the segments. Seems that certain types of floor have the same issue.

I was just trying to make a "build your own rug" set of floor tiles... corner, border and center that could be combined to make a fancy rug of any size or shape. But when testing my first piece I ran into this:

http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/62184_141019014804Seams.jpg

This is the source image:

http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/62185_141019015133Corner.jpg
(That was saved as DXT1 dds, 256x256.)

Other floors I've made haven't had this issue at all, for instance this, which I made earlier tonight also with WallEz (some of the tiles in this pic are rotated so it would be comparable to my rug; apparently that's not the source of the problem).

http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosting/62186_141019020428CrackedMud.jpg

So it's something about certain images. A bunch of us have been talking about seams like this and how to prevent them, but we haven't found a solution. I thought I'd open up the discussion here, in case anybody else has better ideas :)

Christine11778
20th Oct 2014, 5:08 AM
I am having an issue with seams with some siding I am making, it seems to only be the end pieces. It is driving me nuts because I know that the walls I created are seamless. Below is a picture.
http://i.imgur.com/7k7xsWH.png

Bakie
20th Oct 2014, 2:59 PM
I've got the same problem with 2 wallpapers that I wanted to use as corner wallpapers. Because of these seams it's not aproved in the moderation queue. :(
So I think I will totally delete those 2 wallpapers and make other more simple ones instead.

http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478238-Cornertree.jpg

The only thing I didn't do with these 2 wallpapers and did with the others was using the offset option in Photohop, because I can't use it for these 2..
I hope someone will find a solution for this. ;)

Christine11778
20th Oct 2014, 3:19 PM
I figured out why I had the seam with the siding where I had the white stripe on the edge, it has to do with the way EA mapped the walls and it might be the problem with the floor tiles as well. A small part of the left side of the wall actually shows on the right side of the wall in game and vice versa. Normally when you create walls this is no big deal, but if you create a wall with an edge on one side it becomes an issue. I moved the white stripe over slightly and the wall tiled in game without the white line. See picture below:
http://i.imgur.com/5iWBRxn.jpg

Bakie
20th Oct 2014, 5:50 PM
I figured out why I had the seam with the siding where I had the white stripe on the edge, it has to do with the way EA mapped the walls and it might be the problem with the floor tiles as well. A small part of the left side of the wall actually shows on the right side of the wall in game and vice versa. Normally when you create walls this is no big deal, but if you create a wall with an edge on one side it becomes an issue. I moved the white stripe over slightly and the wall tiled in game without the white line. See picture below:
http://i.imgur.com/5iWBRxn.jpg

So if you use this on a corner, what happens to the red line?
I mean as shown in your first post, is there no red line in between the two corner/end wallpapers?

Christine11778
20th Oct 2014, 6:39 PM
So if you use this on a corner, what happens to the red line?
I mean as shown in your first post, is there no red line in between the two corner/end wallpapers?

Next time I am in game I will take a closer look and post pictures. (dv)

Christine11778
20th Oct 2014, 11:23 PM
There is some of the red that is showing on the corners ( pictures below), but the white line is gone with the exception of when you zoom out (see picture below). It looks a lot better in my opinion.

http://i.imgur.com/ZNdhluu.png

http://i.imgur.com/D1gkP3N.png

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 1:07 AM
The white line thing might have something to do with the mipmaps. Maybe try a few different settings for the mipmaps? The Maxian corner textures go edge to edge; they do not have an extra strip of wall like Christine suggests.

This was a problem in TS3 too, it might have something do to with the fact that corner wall pieces are a little wider than regular ones in game (regular width + half of the wall thickness).

Snaitf
21st Oct 2014, 1:41 AM
The white line thing might have something to do with the mipmaps. Maybe try a few different settings for the mipmaps? The Maxian corner textures go edge to edge; they do not have an extra strip of wall like Christine suggests.

This was a problem in TS3 too, it might have something do to with the fact that corner wall pieces are a little wider than regular ones in game (regular width + half of the wall thickness).

I don't think this has to do with corners, specifically. The same thing happens for me when trying to make a mural type wallpaper:

http://i.imgur.com/HG9rsLf.png

Notice the seams?

But it only appears to happen when placing 2 different wall textures next to eachother, even if they line up. (Or floor textures, even when simply rotated.)

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 1:56 AM
Ah. So it's not messing up the corners because they are corners, but because they are a different texture?

Still, the EA Maxis one look fine, so there must be a way for this to work without seams .. I was thinking mipmaps because in TS3 the seams changed their annoyingness level with zooming in/out.

HugeLunatic
21st Oct 2014, 3:48 AM
Is it possible the alpha layer is not correct? Or what about the dxt format you are saving the images in? Also, are these images all in one package? Under the same thumbnail? Have you tried separate thumbnails?

Obviously it doesn't happen to all images, as shown be some previously and the attached sample of a Maxis one.

Snaitf
21st Oct 2014, 7:28 AM
Is it possible the alpha layer is not correct? Or what about the dxt format you are saving the images in? Also, are these images all in one package? Under the same thumbnail? Have you tried separate thumbnails?

Obviously it doesn't happen to all images, as shown be some previously and the attached sample of a Maxis one.

I've tried both DXT1 and DXT5 (the in game ones are DXT1), walls don't use alphas. In fact, if you try to apply an alpha that is not totally white, the wall turns black.

Yes, they are in the same package, and under the same thumbnail. I don't see how that would affect anything, but I'll try it tomorrow, just to be sure. (I also want to play with the mip map settings in PS, like pbox suggested.)

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 9:01 AM
Mipmap experiments over here:

Iterative Fit / Perceptual / Super Sampling results in seams for me (Paint.net). Bleargh.

One DDS converter that solved all sorts of issues for me back in the TS3 era was Aorta -- that is only for OS X though: http://sourceforge.net/projects/aorta/ -- wow, no, it can windows too! (And Linux.) Never knew that. Might be worth a try, because it has some options for mipmap generation that I haven't seen in Paint.net.

Edit: Still seams with Aorta, mipmap options: Image Repeats, Filter: Kaiser, Halo Removal: Fast / Reconstruct Edge Colors. However, that was when saving from the previous DDS .. I'll try again from PNG.

From PNG, no image repeats, filter: Kaiser, Halo Removal: Fast / Reconstruct Edge Colors .. still seams.

From PNG, image repeats, filter: Triangle, Halo Removal: Fast / Reconstruct Edge Colors .. still seams.

From PNG, no image repeats, Kaiser, no halo removal (opacity type=2, thats DXT5 I believe?) .. still seams.

From PNG, image repeats, Box filter, Halo Removal: Fast / Reconstruct Edge Colors .. still seams.

Actually, does the game have some sort of texture cache? :wtf: That might make those experiments a bit .. pointless. -- Guess not. Two packages with different names/instances still have both seams, so that's not it (or not only).

count_cosmos
21st Oct 2014, 10:18 AM
I'm working on a custom club building and made these yesterday. They do not appear to have any seam line that I can see even under the excessive light I used to take this shot.

It was saved as a dds using standard Sims texture settings:

DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp interpolated alpha
All mips maps

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 10:21 AM
Saved from where/what?

count_cosmos
21st Oct 2014, 10:49 AM
Saved from Photoshop cc 64 bit.

However, on a different, but related issue it seems that the specular maps of the walls will also need to be taken into consideration. The three panels shown here all use an identical diffuse texture, saved with the same settings, but on different original bases. The wood all looks quite different in game despite using the same texture so if you are trying to make seamless panels you need to use the same base wall, not just the same texture.

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 10:59 AM
Not sure what you mean .. *if* this is an issue with how the images are being saved, the specular will also have seams, just like the diffuse. However since you don't have seams in the first place your specular is fine (just like the rest). If it's an unedited Maxis specular, it'll have no problem anyway.

Edit: I also still have seams with a wall cloned with S4Studio (using the textures from my very first try), so pretty sure it's got something to do with how the textures are generated (not with anything later in the food chain).

Gonna do some more Paint.net experiments (I finally ran out of Aorta options), then I guess Snaitf and I can draw straws on who tries with Photoshop =P

leefish
21st Oct 2014, 11:34 AM
I know cmo used this tool ( http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm ) and it was better than photoshop or other dds plugins when generating mipmaps for wallmasks.

count_cosmos
21st Oct 2014, 11:38 AM
Not sure what you mean .. *if* this is an issue with how the images are being saved, the specular will also have seams, just like the diffuse. However since you don't have seams in the first place your specular is fine (just like the rest). If it's an unedited Maxis specular, it'll have no problem anyway.

Edit: I also still have seams with a wall cloned with S4Studio (using the textures from my very first try), so pretty sure it's got something to do with how the textures are generated (not with anything later in the food chain).

Gonna do some more Paint.net experiments (I finally ran out of Aorta options), then I guess Snaitf and I can draw straws on who tries with Photoshop =P

What I meant was that the specular maps are attached to the original walls and if edited in S4Studio you can get very different appearances from the same texture depending on the base wall you have used. Unlike with clothing I don't see an easy way to strip out references to the other image components, like the specular maps.

The other interesting point is that when I generated some textures in WallEZ, using the same .dds save settings as the images I used in my China Club wall I got very obvious seams. I will remake those walls in S4Studio and see if the seams remain an issue.

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 11:56 AM
What I meant was that the specular maps are attached to the original walls

They aren't "attached" -- they're referenced in the same way as the diffuse textures. S4S includes the original ones but doesn't give you an option to change them (that's probably why they look "attached" to you), but you can do that in S4PE. For me it worked fine to just replace the texture.

Anyhow the ones I tested with have no bump/spec at all (except for one), so at least for me that isn't the issue.

The other interesting point is that when I generated some textures in WallEZ, using the same .dds save settings as the images I used in my China Club wall I got very obvious seams. I will remake those walls in S4Studio and see if the seams remain an issue.

You .. generated textures in WallEZ? Sure you aren't confusing something? Unless I missed a very major point, WallEZ doesn't do any texture generating. It only links everything together to make a package. Or do you mean you generated new textures in PS?

But yeah it might be enlightening if you also do a direct comparison .. at least you have *some* textures that work for you.

In other news, I only managed to produce an exceptionally shitty-looking texture with the tool Lee linked above, but that has about 546378 shiny buttons for mipmapping so it's very likely I just hit the wrong ones (Scaling Filter: Gaussian, Processing: Smoothen). The result .. had seams .. needless to say. :rolleyes:

Mehrlicht
21st Oct 2014, 12:12 PM
What I meant was that the specular maps are attached to the original walls and if edited in S4Studio you can get very different appearances from the same texture depending on the base wall you have used. Unlike with clothing I don't see an easy way to strip out references to the other image components, like the specular maps.

Hi all,
Since I am a basic user, not sure if my experience could add anything to the fight against this issue...Well, just in case:

I made a panel wall (converted from Sims 2 - originally created by Jsf). Made it with S4Studio. A single package, with several variations and several thumbnails. Just extracted the textures with Homecrafter, then made the required sizes and saved all images as Jpeg, before importing them into Photoshop Elements and converting them to DDS.

Here is the result ingame:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189/Mehrlicht-Simsixties/just%20a%20pic/Panelwithseveralvariations.jpg

I don't notice any seam between the different panels. But the base is exactly the same for all panels and the middle part has just different colors.

Big thanks to you, guys, who are working hard to solve this issue and make our game beautiful. :lovestruc

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 12:27 PM
For comparison here's the seam that I'm seeing in the S4S product

http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/1/7/8/2/8/2/MTS_plasticbox-1474467-10-21-14_12-03PM.jpg

Not sure if that kind of thing would be visible on your walls, since they are very light.

The corner piece is my wall, the rest is Maxis -- my graphics are obviously not great, but the Maxis ones are obviously seamless.

Mehrlicht, does your wall have bump/specular maps? Are those the original Maxis ones or your own?

count_cosmos
21st Oct 2014, 1:08 PM
Just for a test I exported an existing texture from S4Studio and then saved it in Photoshop and put it back in as a new wall in S4Studio (on a stucco rather than paneled wall). It worked fine and did not show a seam at all. Then I took the same wall texture and duplicated it and split a poster up on it, and used those as the texture on the same wall that worked seamlessly before and made two new walls in the same way. The result was seams and colour change.

So, first the texture format used is not the issue as the wall I created using the prexisting Maxis texture does not show the seams, but when I changed the texture it did even though the texture was the same in places where a seam now shows.

Mehrlicht
21st Oct 2014, 1:14 PM
Pbox, the seam in your picture need to be seen with really good eyes!!

No, the walls on my pic are not maxis, and not mine. They were made for Sims 2 by Jsf @TSR. Jsf really knows how to make a wall... It's why I enjoy converting her work to Sims 3 and now Sims 4.

I have the walls in Sims 2/Downloads and just extract the images with Homecrafter. All images of the above set were originally 256x768 pixels. I just had to make the other sizes and to save the resized images (as Jpeg). Then imported them to Photoshop and converted them to dds, like explained in the S4Studio tutorial: "DXT5 ARGB 8bpp interpolated alpha" - Generate MIP maps".

With the above set everything went fine. I have another one from another Sims 2 creator, with many different textures and I will try to convert it to Sims 4. For now have some work to do (RL). Will come back later.

I know that you'll find a way to solve this "seam" issue.

Thanks for your hard work.

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 1:54 PM
Just for a test I exported an existing texture from S4Studio and then saved it in Photoshop and put it back in as a new wall in S4Studio (on a stucco rather than paneled wall). It worked fine and did not show a seam at all. Then I took the same wall texture and duplicated it and split a poster up on it, and used those as the texture on the same wall that worked seamlessly before and made two new walls in the same way. The result was seams and colour change.

The issue with seams seems to be only between different textures. When you put the same texture next to each other, there are no seams it appears. If you look at the house pictures by Christine11778 the seams are only between "straight wall" and "corner" textures, not everywhere on the wall. I only wonder about that mural by @Bakie .. the one that's up for download has a lot of different textures, obviously, but I don't see any seams on their screenshot -- with that the problem was only with the corner bits it appears.

Also, your stucco walls have different specular and bump maps by the looks of it .. the colour change is surely because of that. Did you change them manually? Like import in S4PE? Or did you not use the same wall as a basis?

Strange that you seem to somehow have managed to convince the game to treat your club walls as "same" =) those must be different textures too, no? They obviously have different motives?

Can you maybe upload your packages here? Of the working wall plus one of the poster ones? It's perfectly possible that I'm on the completely wrong track with the mipmap idea .. maybe there are some other differences.

Bakie
21st Oct 2014, 2:20 PM
I only wonder about that mural by @Bakie .. the one that's up for download has a lot of different textures, obviously, but I don't see any seams on their screenshot -- with that the problem was only with the corner bits it appears.

On my wallpapers, only the middle of the wall is different. I used the same plain grass with blue sky on each wallpaper. And for that plain one I used the offset option in photoshop to make it seamless.
And as you say, there were 2 walls that did have the seams. To split the tree I used offset, so I know for sure that they would fit next to each other. But as Snaitf already said:

... it only appears to happen when placing 2 different wall textures next to eachother, even if they line up. (Or floor textures, even when simply rotated.)
I still had the seam problem when placing those 2 "corner" walls next to each other. Although I think it's strange that the blue sky also showed seams with those two wallpapers..

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 2:27 PM
On my wallpapers, only the middle of the wall is different. I used the same plain grass with blue sky on each wallpaper. And for that plain one I used the offset option in photoshop to make it seamless.

Yeah but the resulting textures you exported, those are still different. That's what I meant.

Maybe there is something about that placement behaviour that we (or at least I) still don't understand. Like what the game treats as "different" and "same" .. maybe it isn't the texture but something to do with that funky "corner placing intelligence" it has now (or at least thinks it has). I'm going to d/l yours and see if I can find something.

@Bakie can you maybe upload your corner textures here?

Edit: It's not UnkIID01 .. that seems to be really only the sorting. But I noticed that the Maxis siding also has a slight seam, but only in one direction :wtf: . Doesn't change when I override it with Unk15 301. And UnkCommon06 is the swatch sort order by the looks of it.

Edit2: Attached below: Maxis seam. (seams.jpg) The corner with the missing spec/bump is mine, the other one (left) is EA .. that ALSO has a seam, albeit a very very very tiny one. The other screen (seam.jpg) is with Maxis walls on both sides, and I cannot detect a seam there on thre right-hand side.

Bakie
21st Oct 2014, 3:05 PM
Yeah but the resulting textures you exported, those are still different. That's what I meant.

Maybe there is something about that placement behaviour that we (or at least I) still don't understand. Like what the game treats as "different" and "same" .. maybe it isn't the texture but something to do with that funky "corner placing intelligence" it has now (or at least thinks it has). I'm going to d/l yours and see if I can find something.

@Bakie can you maybe upload your corner textures here?

The attached .rar file contains the corner tree dds files, those who had seams in game.
Don't know if you can find something by looking at it. I think the big problem is the different textures on the sides placed against each other. But that still doesn't make sense why the blue sky shows seams too on the other sides of the wall. And it's not only when placing those two walls in a corner..

Christine11778
21st Oct 2014, 3:06 PM
I created a test wall that has one solid white wall and the other wall is solid white with a solid red stripe on one end of it. As you will notice in the picture it doesn't matter if I place the walls together on the corner of the wall or the middle I still get a line.

http://i.imgur.com/10VZuUW.png

Snaitf
21st Oct 2014, 3:08 PM
oooh, ooh, ooh, I may have just figured this out, let me go test!

Christine11778
21st Oct 2014, 3:09 PM
Hi all,

I don't notice any seam between the different panels. But the base is exactly the same for all panels and the middle part has just different colors.

:lovestruc

I only have issues with lines if one side of a wall is different from the other side of the wall, your paneling is the same on both sides so that is why there is no issue :)

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 3:16 PM

I knew it :lol:

Snaitf
21st Oct 2014, 3:19 PM
Argh, so my test didn't fix the issue. :(

However, this REALLY looks like an offset issue to me now. In each pic, it looks like one pixel of one of the sides is wrapping on to the other side.

Or am I wrong?

I tried offsetting my walls by 1px both ways, but it didn't fix it. But still, that really looks like what's going on.

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 3:23 PM
However, this REALLY looks like an offset issue to me now. In each pic, it looks like one pixel of one of the sides is wrapping on to the other side.

Or am I wrong?

I tried offsetting my walls by 1px both ways, but it didn't fix it. But still, that really looks like what's going on.

Yeah it is some kind of wrapping thing, but it's not in the original textures (it's also much less than one pixel) -- that is why I was thinking mipmaps. Because those are what you really see on screen most of the time.

See also my edit above re. all the UNKs that I looked at meanwhile (just so you don't do that twice =)

Bakie
21st Oct 2014, 3:26 PM

Very curiuous! Hope you do find a solution :up:

EDIT:
Ow you didn't :P

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 3:39 PM
The attached .rar file contains the corner tree dds files, those who had seams in game.
Don't know if you can find something by looking at it. I think the big problem is the different textures on the sides placed against each other. But that still doesn't make sense why the blue sky shows seams too on the other sides of the wall. And it's not only when placing those two walls in a corner..

Ah I didn't mean the raw dds files, sorry -- I meant the actual package.

Oh and your walls are DXT5, too (the working, plain ones). (Like the corner ones I mean)

I see a difference between the MATD of one of the in-game "SimpleSiding" walls

Version: 0x00000003
PublicChunks: 0x00000001
Unused: 0x00000000
--- CountedTGIBlockList: Resources (0x0) ---
---
--- ChunkEntryList: ChunkEntries (0x1) ---
--- ChunkEntries[0] ---
--- 0x01D0E75D-0x00000000-0x5F631E06640664E3 - MATD ---
Version: 0x00000103
MaterialNameHash: 0x3BABFE23
Shader: 0x213D6300 (PreviewWallsAndFloors)
IsVideoSurface: False
IsPaintingSurface: False
--- MTNF: Mtnf ---
MTNFUnknown1: 0x00000000
--- ShaderDataList: SData (0xF) ---
[0]: Field: 0x97AAC842 (2544552002); Data0: 0.0000; Data1: 2.0000
[1]: Field: 0x8CB57AF4 (2360703732); Data0: 1.0000; Data1: 1.0000
[2]: Field: 0x2CE11842 (Specular); Data0: 0.5000; Data1: 0.5000; Data2: 0.5000
[3]: Field: 0xF755F7FF (Shininess); Data: 20.0000
[4]: Field: 0x19D7A3C0 (433562560); Data: 0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0xCEB31003C33D903C
[5]: Field: 0xAD528A60 (SpecularMap); Data: 0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0x328756E1D8728107
[6]: Field: 0x420520E9 (UVScales); Data0: 0.0000; Data1: 0.0000; Data2: 0.0000; Data3: 0.0000
[7]: Field: 0x05D22FD3 (Transparency); Data: 1.0000
[8]: Field: 0x2D4E507E (DiffuseUVScale); Data0: 1.0000; Data1: 1.0000
[9]: Field: 0x6CC0FD85 (DiffuseMap); Key: 0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0x5E94D88737AEEC27
[A]: Field: 0x449A3A67 (AverageColor); Data: 0x00000000
[B]: Field: 0x415368B4 (NormalMapUVSelector); Data0: 0.0000; Data1: 0.0000; Data2: 0.0000
[C]: Field: 0xB63546AC (SpecularUVSelector); Data0: 0.0000; Data1: 0.0000; Data2: 0.0000
[D]: Field: 0x6E56548A (NormalMap); Data: 0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0x328756E1D872811A
[E]: Field: 0x637DAA05 (Diffuse); Data0: 1.0000; Data1: 1.0000; Data2: 1.0000

and the one that I cloned with S4S

---
--- ChunkEntries[0] ---
--- 0x01D0E75D-0x80000000-0x1F509E7F97221103 - MATD ---
MaterialNameHash: 0xAE28E562
--- ShaderDataList: SData (0xD) ---
[0]: Field: 0x97AAC842 (2544552002); Data0: 0.0000; Data1: 2.0000
[1]: Field: 0x8CB57AF4 (2360703732); Data0: 1.0000; Data1: 1.0000
[2]: Field: 0x2CE11842 (Specular); Data0: 0.5000; Data1: 0.5000; Data2: 0.5000
[3]: Field: 0xF755F7FF (Shininess); Data: 20.0000
[4]: Field: 0x19D7A3C0 (433562560); Data: 0x00B2D882-0x80000000-0x166672E0FF38C175
[5]: Field: 0xAD528A60 (SpecularMap); Data: 0x00B2D882-0x80000000-0xE6865AC0F858AFFE
[6]: Field: 0x05D22FD3 (Transparency); Data: 1.0000
[7]: Field: 0x2D4E507E (DiffuseUVScale); Data0: 1.0000; Data1: 1.0000
[8]: Field: 0x6CC0FD85 (DiffuseMap); Key: 0x00B2D882-0x80000000-0x3B068ADA26B46EA4
[9]: Field: 0x449A3A67 (AverageColor); Data: 0x00000000
[A]: Field: 0x8286D3EC (2189874156); Data: 0.0000
[B]: Field: 0x6E56548A (NormalMap); Data: 0x00B2D882-0x80000000-0xB1236EDE1341C364
[C]: Field: 0x637DAA05 (Diffuse); Data0: 1.0000; Data1: 1.0000; Data2: 1.0000

in that the NormalMapUVSelector (Data0: 0.0000; Data1: 0.0000; Data2: 0.0000) and SpecularUVSelector
(Data0: 0.0000; Data1: 0.0000; Data2: 0.0000) fields are missing. I dunno, would that lead to funkiness perhaps? At least for those walls who have custom bump/specs?

One of the WallEz ones, that's much more stripped down (since it doesn't do bump/specs yet)

---
--- ChunkEntries[0] ---
--- 0x01D0E75D-0x00000000-0x6256D7286F16A955 - MATD ---
MaterialNameHash: 0xE89DE335
--- ShaderDataList: SData (0xA) ---
[0]: Field: 0xF755F7FF (Shininess); Data: 20.0000
[1]: Field: 0x2CE11842 (Specular); Data0: 0.5000; Data1: 0.5000; Data2: 0.5000
[2]: Field: 0x97AAC842 (2544552002); Data0: 0.0000; Data1: 2.0000
[3]: Field: 0x8286D3EC (2189874156); Data: 0.0000
[4]: Field: 0x6CC0FD85 (DiffuseMap); Key: 0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0x1DA69960C3380F16
[5]: Field: 0x05D22FD3 (Transparency); Data: 1.0000
[6]: Field: 0x449A3A67 (AverageColor); Data: 0x00000000
[7]: Field: 0x637DAA05 (Diffuse); Data0: 1.0000; Data1: 1.0000; Data2: 1.0000
[8]: Field: 0x2D4E507E (DiffuseUVScale); Data0: 1.0000; Data1: 1.0000
[9]: Field: 0x8CB57AF4 (2360703732); Data0: 1.0000; Data1: 1.0000

Since Maxis are apparently producing walls with empty bumpmaps/speculars .. maybe they are required? And need their UVSelectors too so as to not look crappy?

Unfortunately there's no way to test this right now, since s4pe borks the MATD .. =/

Bakie
21st Oct 2014, 4:06 PM
Ah I didn't mean the raw dds files, sorry -- I meant the actual package.

Oh and your walls are DXT5, too (the working, plain ones). (Like the corner ones I mean)

Oh I'm sorry, here is the old package file including the corners with seams.
As for the white stripe, I think it's as thin as a guide line on photoshop. But you can't edit those small sections right?

Bakie
21st Oct 2014, 5:02 PM
I just discovered that there is also a strange darker line in game while making 2 different walls that you can combine to one. Don't know where that is coming from..

http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478242-Darklineside_left.jpg

http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478243-Darklineside_right.jpg

I think on the second image it's better visible..
Also on the second image you already see a thin white line that I don't see on the first image

EDIT:

Ow it's the turtle...:
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478244-21-10-14_17-58.jpg

There is no white line anymore on the whole side in game.. And it looks these 2 sides are switched...If there is a way to switch them back, the "white" line is gone...
@plasticbox
@Snaitf If you look at your wall with the photo on it, and look at the 4th wallpaper from the right. If you would switch those lines, that piece of the wall will be without lines.. 'Cause the dark line of the right is from the mountain top on the left..

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 8:36 PM
So there's a thread on this now at EA / Modding: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/796077/simgurumodsquad-seams-on-seamless-textures

Please don't remove the screenshots/packages you posted here, they're also linked from there! Thank you! Hopefully they will take pity on us =)

Bakie
21st Oct 2014, 8:57 PM
So there's a thread on this now at EA / Modding: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/796077/simgurumodsquad-seams-on-seamless-textures

Please don't remove the screenshots/packages you posted here, they're also linked from there! Thank you! Hopefully they will take pity on us =)

I only removed the .rar including the dds files you didn't asked for ;)
But I've read the post on the official Sims forum and saw that you linked my corner tree image and package file and turtle image.
The won't be removed. :up:

I hope they can help us with this problem. There are very nice things possible if we get rid of these seams.
A work around for Snaitf photo wall and my turtle, would be a combination between wallpapers and wallstickers. But as there is no program for wallstickers yet, it isn't possible yet. ;)

Mehrlicht
21st Oct 2014, 8:57 PM
Hi again,
I made a new set with eight walls: Conversion of the "Victorian Outdoor set" created by Komosims for Sims 2.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189/Mehrlicht-Simsixties/just%20a%20pic/Pic3ReadyMTS4.jpg

I don't notice lines between the different panels, maybe some little mistakes, but they were already visible in Sims 2 and Sims 3: The original set was really beautiful, but not absolutely perfect.
There is this ugly shadow on a corner, but it's the same as on the bare wall and don't seem related to the custom wallcovering.
I am disappointed that there are more or less issues in different games, with people using the same programs. Unfortunately I am not able to help, but I am sure that you guys will figure it out soon.

Thanks again. :lovestruc

plasticbox
21st Oct 2014, 9:36 PM
I believe with this kind of wall (with a lot of texture/structure, like bricks or wood panels) it's probably not going to be very noticeable in game =)

A work around for Snaitf photo wall and my turtle, would be a combination between wallpapers and wallstickers.

That might even be more practical than using wall pieces (so that one can move it around in one piece, etc) .. it only wouldn't adapt to the wall heights. But for things like the your tree, a wall sticker would be a good solution I guess! (Aren't there already wall stickers in game that are rather boring? I don't know if they have a texture, but if they do, overriding them would already be possible!)

Also, another experiment: A direct override (texture replacement) of a Maxis diffuse texture does NOT result in seams, see screenshots below. This is a relief insofar as there's probably really nothing wrong with the actual textures. Not with the diffusion ones at least, and likely not with the bumps/specs either, as I don't think Bakie's murals for instance even had bumps or specs. (I only wish I'd had that genius idea of testing with overrides a couple hours earlier .. :rolleyes: )

Bakie
21st Oct 2014, 10:25 PM
Aren't there already wall stickers in game that are rather boring? I don't know if they have a texture, but if they do, overriding them would already be possible!

Yeah, there are some rather boring ones in game :D But I don't know how that works with overwriting files. And it would be better to have standalone's of course.
And with the option in-game to make things bigger, you could then make some really nice wall coverings. Maybe @granthes knows how to make a tool for that if he got some spare time ;)

Otherwise it's waiting on EA to come with a solution for the seams.

Christine11778
22nd Oct 2014, 12:08 AM
Hi again,
I made a new set with eight walls: Conversion of the "Victorian Outdoor set" created by Komosims for Sims 2.

I don't notice lines between the different panels, maybe some little mistakes, but they were already visible in Sims 2 and Sims 3: The original set was really beautiful, but not absolutely perfect.
There is this ugly shadow on a corner, but it's the same as on the bare wall and don't seem related to the custom wallcovering.
I am disappointed that there are more or less issues in different games, with people using the same programs. Unfortunately I am not able to help, but I am sure that you guys will figure it out soon.

Thanks again. :lovestruc

I think I see a line in the brick, but it does blend in better because of all the different textures.

Snaitf
22nd Oct 2014, 6:48 AM
Knowing that the seams are created by the game copying one edge of the texture onto the other edge, can help to "fix" some floors/walls. Take @Srikandi 's rug for instance. Only the right/top edges need to line up, so copying 1px from those edges onto the opposing edges, will get rid of the seam. The only drawback is a small beige line on part of the outside edge of the rug, that is really not even noticeable, unless your specifically looking for it. This might also be used to fix some walls that are meant to be used in tandem. :)

However, mural type walls can't be fixed this way, because they have to line up on BOTH edges, and copying the right side pixel to the left, fixes one edge, but ruins the other. :(

Snaitf
22nd Oct 2014, 2:16 PM
Because of these seams it's not aproved in the moderation queue. :(

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/BakieProductions/The%20Sims%204/MTS%20problems/20-10-14_15-55_zps1fe901d6.png

Your upload was not approved because of those tiny little lines, and yet this was accepted?

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=539401

I'm confused...

Bakie
22nd Oct 2014, 2:36 PM
Your upload was not approved because of those tiny little lines, and yet this was accepted?

I'm confused...

The seams were one of the reasons it wasn't accepted.
There were some image changes to be made too. ;)

But I saw this upload too and was also wondering how it passed the moderation queue ;)

EDIT:
@Pbox Ow, we replied at the same time.
It's true mine were more visible because of the less textures. :up:
And I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so that's why I deleted the whole "corner" walls and made new ones instead.

plasticbox
22nd Oct 2014, 2:45 PM
And I'm a bit of a perfectionist

Yeah, I thought so :)

I hope you know you can always use Creator Issues whenever you’re not happy with how uploads are being dealt with =)

leefish
22nd Oct 2014, 4:35 PM

I'm confused...

The uploader has queue bypass privileges; looking at the upload the "checked by mod" box is not ticked, so it hasn't been approved by anyone yet.

Snaitf
22nd Oct 2014, 4:38 PM
The uploader has queue bypass privileges; looking at the upload the "checked by mod" box is not ticked, so it hasn't been approved by anyone yet.

Ah, that makes sense...

plasticbox
22nd Oct 2014, 4:51 PM
queue bypass

Oh, that, too :faceslap: .. didn’t see that when I wrote my little novel above =P

Bakie
22nd Oct 2014, 9:45 PM

I was already wondering what "Has bypass" means when viewing my scorecard, but now I know.
Still 4 to go, before I can use that. Don't know if I want to do that...then I don't know if it's perfect!?! :P

plasticbox
22nd Oct 2014, 9:49 PM
You can opt out of bypassing! You'll get that option for each upload on or after the last upload wizard screen once you're on bypass.

Bakie
24th Oct 2014, 2:45 PM
On the subject again, I stumbled across this wallpaper from One Billion Pixels: seamless-graffiti-grunge-walls (http://one-billion-pixels.blogspot.nl/2014/10/seamless-graffiti-grunge-walls.html)
But the graffiti isn't really seamless right? I think I see small yellow lines between the graffiti...

If it was seamless, I think we want to know how he did it...but they aren't... :p

Christine11778
24th Oct 2014, 4:20 PM
I see lines in the walls.

plasticbox
24th Oct 2014, 4:57 PM
Yeah the only way I found so far to make them seamless is override an EA wall (i.e. change only the diffuse, nothing else). But I'm still stumped as to what the difference is =(.

plasticbox
26th Oct 2014, 11:44 PM
So how did you manage to get rid of the seams (http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=539852) on floors now? Would that work for walls as well?

Ah, I see it -- the offending bits are copied to the opposite edge. Solves the visual artifact, but is not a solution for stuff like murals and such.

melbrewer367
27th Oct 2014, 9:08 AM
I've been making a butt ton of wallpapers and I haven't had any seams so far. They've all been seamless solids, patterns, and tiles though. Not mural type walls. I tried out a mural wall real quick with an image I just grabbed online. It looks pretty good and thought there wasn't anything wrong at first but if I zoom in there is a very small seam that you can see.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5602/15454244200_1856c2a66b_b.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3949/15453719298_f5eec28a20_b.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3954/15453691478_1968913166_b.jpg

It was slightly more noticeable on the larger sized walls.

For the most part it's unnoticeable though. I use S4Studio. I always make sure to choose one of the solid basic walls that is just flat with no crown moulding or baseboards. The first recolor I did I also resized the crown moulding and baseboards and in S4S I used one of the maxis walls that had crown moulding and baseboards and when I put it in the game it looked all jacked up. Like there was still a crown moulding texture where it used to be. Once I switched to the plain flat one though it was fine.

ETA: Here's an example. On the left side I used a maxis baseboard/crown moulding wall as my recolor in S4S. On the right side is the exact same DDS file but with a plain flat wall as my recolor option in S4S.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3933/15453928437_a98a329bb5_b.jpg

plasticbox
27th Oct 2014, 12:14 PM
Well yeah with that mural you won't have much of a problem, since it's pretty much horizontal stripes. But anything asymmetrical, corner pieces, flying turtles etc .. won't work before the seam issue doesn't have a solution.

Pixelhate
27th Oct 2014, 12:21 PM
Hello there! :)
Not owning Sims4 (stopped at 2) but still interested in seams and textures issues..
As said before, seams on mural can't be solved, due to the fact that part of the right side of the wall is reproduced on the left corner of the same wall it was already the case in Sims 2.
As possible workaround would be to create a mesh the size of the mural and make a wall overlay.

Bakie
27th Oct 2014, 1:13 PM
Well yeah with that mural you won't have much of a problem, since it's pretty much horizontal stripes. But anything asymmetrical, corner pieces, flying turtles etc .. won't work before the seam issue doesn't have a solution.

Haha, flying :turtle: :rofl: (Blue can be water too you know, or did you mean flying through the sea? :) )

plasticbox
27th Oct 2014, 1:23 PM
Maxis have some sort of solution though, for their corners. See: siding. That is why it bugs me so much .. why can they have seamlessness and we can't?

julsfels
27th Oct 2014, 2:58 PM
As said before, seams on mural can't be solved, due to the fact that part of the right side of the wall is reproduced on the left corner of the same wall it was already the case in Sims 2.
I created a few mural-type walls in Sims 2, and for me it seems as if the problem was fixed in an EP. A mural (consisting of two or more walls) in my basegame installation has a seam, but the same walls in my installation with all EPs don´t.

Nevertheless, I made some attempts in Sims 4, and it seems that the texture sizes of 256x768, 256x1024 and 256x1280 aren´t obligatory. I created textures with the sizes 1024x768, 1024x1024 and 1024x1280 that show the whole mural for four wall parts, and changed the Data0 entry of the DiffuseUVScale field in each MATD to 0,25.
Result in game was a single wall that spreads over four tiles, and there were no seams, as far as I could see.
Disadvantage ist that you can not decide where the mural should start, it depends on the wall.
And I am not sure if there might be other issues.

plasticbox
27th Oct 2014, 4:35 PM
A mural (consisting of two or more walls) in my basegame installation has a seam, but the same walls in my installation with all EPs don´t.

Do you mean specifically custom murals with that, or EAxian ones too? (Asking because I had seam issues on and off in TS3 varying with patch level, but I don't remember whether that was custom walls only or Maxis too .. not sure whether TS3 is a good comparison base though, seeing as a lot of Maxis walls in that were all kinds of fucked up =P)

I created textures with the sizes 1024x768, 1024x1024 and 1024x1280 that show the whole mural for four wall parts, and changed the Data0 entry of the DiffuseUVScale field in each MATD to 0,25. Result in game was a single wall that spreads over four tiles, and there were no seams, as far as I could see.

Ah that is a good tip, thanks! I believe this is how the maxis plaster wall works? (You know, that white one, kind of like peeling painted brick)

Maybe the trick is changing the UV scale, even on a wall with a smaller texture? Or would that stretch the texture? There's also fields for .. UV handle or somesuch I believe (don't recall the exact name now).

3Sierra3
28th Oct 2014, 4:00 AM
I created a few mural-type walls in Sims 2, and for me it seems as if the problem was fixed in an EP. A mural (consisting of two or more walls) in my basegame installation has a seam, but the same walls in my installation with all EPs don´t.

Nevertheless, I made some attempts in Sims 4, and it seems that the texture sizes of 256x768, 256x1024 and 256x1280 aren´t obligatory. I created textures with the sizes 1024x768, 1024x1024 and 1024x1280 that show the whole mural for four wall parts, and changed the Data0 entry of the DiffuseUVScale field in each MATD to 0,25.
Result in game was a single wall that spreads over four tiles, and there were no seams, as far as I could see.
Disadvantage ist that you can not decide where the mural should start, it depends on the wall.
And I am not sure if there might be other issues.IAre you talking about EA's wide walls?
It sounds like it.

Simension wrote about those at Sims 4 Studio here (http://sims-studio.proboards.com/thread/127/creating-sims-walls-discussion-practices) awhile ago.

I tried working with clones of these wide walls and they're seamless alright but they just start their run wherever they want.

Also they change their order depending on wall height which makes them look great at one height and terrible at another.

-Shady-
28th Oct 2014, 3:55 PM
Sims 4 Studio helped, thanks for posting.

julsfels
29th Oct 2014, 10:36 AM
Do you mean specifically custom murals with that, or EAxian ones too?
Puh... it´s so long ago. :D I´m not sure if it appears on EAxian walls, too; maybe I can take a look at the S2 basegame later. But I´m not sure if there are any EAxians murals in the basegame.

Ah that is a good tip, thanks! I believe this is how the maxis plaster wall works? (You know, that white one, kind of like peeling painted brick)
I actually don´t know, but maybe it´s worth a look in the game files to figure out if there are any textures larger than the default size.

Maybe the trick is changing the UV scale, even on a wall with a smaller texture? Or would that stretch the texture? There's also fields for .. UV handle or somesuch I believe (don't recall the exact name now).
Yes, it´s the DiffuseUVScale field, there are two parts for the two axes. Any value different from 1 would stretch or compress your texture. Value 1 means your texture is used for one tile. Value 2 shows your texture two times on one tile, value ,.5 stretches the texture over two tiles (and so on).
You can have a look at the floors, e.g. some of the wood floors have entries of 0,5 for both fields, so the texture is used for four floor tiles (2 tiles wide and 2 tiles deep).

Are you talking about EA's wide walls?
No, I made some new custom walls to give it a try. :lol:

I tried working with clones of these wide walls and they're seamless alright but they just start their run wherever they want.
Yes, that is what I mentioned above - you can not choose the starting point of the mural.

Also they change their order depending on wall height which makes them look great at one height and terrible at another.
This did not happen with my test mural, it worked perfectly for all three heights.

3Sierra3
31st Oct 2014, 12:39 AM
The maxis plaster wall is one of the wide walls I was talking about. Simension has some good pictures showing how those work at Sims 4 Studio forum. My mural made on one of those looks very nice at all heights too but once it is placed if you change the wall height it needs to be placed over again because the order of the panels changes.

plasticbox
31st Oct 2014, 1:23 AM
Seems like the UVScale thing would be the correct thing to fiddle with:

Hey guys. The reason for the seam is because the sampler for the base texture will wrap rather than clamp at the boundary. This means you’ll get a small amount of the other edge of the texture, which will create seams if the texture’s sides aren’t tileable.

A way to avoid this is to use a material setting in the MTRL block to scale the UVs such that a single texture can be spread across multiple wall or floor tiles. The parameter name is DiffuseUVScale (which is referenced in the MRTL block via the hash of its name: 0x2d4e507e). Setting this to 0.5 will make it a 2-tile interval, 2.0 will make it a half-tile interval, etc. For an example of a resource that does this, see 01d0e75d:00000000:98cf7bf37a1cc76c – this wall pattern is called “Urbanity” in the catalog. There is a limitation on this though, the alignment of the wall texture is based on its lot position, i.e. if a texture spans multiple tiles, which part of the texture that is used for a particular tile is based on that tile’s lot position.

Hope that helps.

Source (http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12908034/#Comment_12908034)

Bakie
31st Oct 2014, 2:48 PM
So if we use "Urbanity" in The Sims 4 Studio, we can make seamless wallcovering? Or is it not that simple?
I don't know a thing about UVScaling. Or can someone explain how to change the DiffuseUVScale?

plasticbox
31st Oct 2014, 4:42 PM
"Urbanity" might work well as a base when you have actual murals, yes (i.e. walls that are 4 units wide, like that one). .. or maybe not. see below.

Or you simply change that value in your existing package in s4pe and replace your texture/s (open package in s4pe, then edit the value in "Grid"; click on your IMGs and select "Replace").

julsfels
31st Oct 2014, 5:00 PM
My mural made on one of those looks very nice at all heights too but once it is placed if you change the wall height it needs to be placed over again because the order of the panels changes.
Yes, I understood this. All I said is that this doesn´t happen with the custom mural covering four tiles I created from scratch. The panels don´t change when I change the height of the walls.

Or can someone explain how to change the DiffuseUVScale?
I explained it a few postings above, it´s quite simple. Just open the MATD with the Grid Button and loók for the field DiffuseUVScale. Data0 is for width (the one you need for walls), Data1 ist for depth/height, you can use it floors.

plasticbox
31st Oct 2014, 5:19 PM
All I said is that this doesn´t happen with the custom mural covering four tiles I created from scratch.

Right, I hadn't thought of that (in my answer above) -- so that means it would actually not be such a great idea to use the Maxis one as a base. Thanks for pointing that out again! =)

Bakie
3rd Nov 2014, 6:20 PM
Or you simply change that value in your existing package in s4pe and replace your texture/s (open package in s4pe, then edit the value in "Grid"; click on your IMGs and select "Replace").

I was just trying to change the Data0 entry of the DiffuseUVScale field in each MATD to 0,5. For a 2-tile wallpaper, but I don't understand how to change it.
I opened s4pe, clicked on the first MATD then clicked on the grid button and got this window:
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478245-Changinggrid.jpg

But now I don't know how to change the diffuse scale on the right.. Am I doing something wrong?

plasticbox
3rd Nov 2014, 6:30 PM
Click "Expand all" in that window.

Bakie
3rd Nov 2014, 8:10 PM
Click "Expand all" in that window.
I look so stupid this way... ;)

It's not working for 2-tiles wallpapers..
I did the following:
I created textures with the sizes 512x768, 512x1024 and 512x1280 that show the whole mural for 2 wall parts, and changed the Data0 entry of the DiffuseUVScale field in each MATD to 0,5.

Ended up in game with this:
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478247-FindingNemo_2-tyle_TurtleTestRESIZE.jpg
The question mark is showing over 2 wall though..

My short, medium and tall wall MATD's in S4PE are looking like this (This is short wall)
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478246-S4PE_FindingNemo_2-tyle_TurtleTest.jpg

Is there something more I need to do or that I need to show so you can help me?

plasticbox
3rd Nov 2014, 8:20 PM
Which wrappers are you using for this? The release version of s4pe will break MATD; you need to use the s4pi wrappers from Sims4Studio instead (those are newer than the ones in the s4pe download). That was what the MATD thread was about ..

Bakie
3rd Nov 2014, 8:43 PM
Which wrappers are you using for this? The release version of s4pe will break MATD; you need to use the s4pi wrappers from Sims4Studio instead (those are newer than the ones in the s4pe download). That was what the MATD thread was about ..

I guess it's just to complicated for me. I don't know anything about wrappers, I don't know where I can find them and don't even know what they are.
I just thought if I would did it this way it would work. I do have Sims4Studio on my laptop too, but I don't know what you mean with wrappers..

I'm still new to creating things for The Sims 4, so I'm sorry I missunderstood. Appreciate your help though :up:

EDIT:
Found this in Sims4Studio map: s4pi.WrapperDealer.dll Something to do with this?

plasticbox
3rd Nov 2014, 9:04 PM
Ah. Sorry, I mixed up the threads I believe -- I thought somebody had linked to that before.

Here http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=539375 is the thread I meant, on how to get s4pe to be able to edit MATD without breaking it.

A wrapper is kind of a "translation module" as I understand it, so that s4pe or s4studio can read/write the various resources. What I and julsfels did in that other thread to get it to work, was make a copy of the s4pe folder, then grab all the "s4pi" dlls from the s4studio folder and copy them over to the new s4pe folder. Now that s4pe can write MATD too because apparently the wrapper (whichever one is responsible for MATD) in s4studio is newer than the one in s4pe.

Edit: the MATD one is "s4pi.GenericRCOLResource.dll". Also, the preview version I was using at that time was 1.5.0.0, I believe the current s4studio release is newer than that (so should work just the same).

Bakie
3rd Nov 2014, 9:42 PM
Ah. Sorry, I mixed up the threads I believe -- I thought somebody had linked to that before.

Here http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=539375 is the thread I meant, on how to get s4pe to be able to edit MATD without breaking it.

A wrapper is kind of a "translation module" as I understand it, so that s4pe or s4studio can read/write the various resources. What I and julsfels did in that other thread to get it to work, was make a copy of the s4pe folder, then grab all the "s4pi" dlls from the s4studio folder and copy them over to the new s4pe folder. Now that s4pe can write MATD too because apparently the wrapper (whichever one is responsible for MATD) in s4studio is newer than the one in s4pe.

Edit: the MATD one is "s4pi.GenericRCOLResource.dll". Also, the preview version I was using at that time was 1.5.0.0, I believe the current s4studio release is newer than that (so should work just the same).

Thanks for your help, it worked. But I didn't read your "Edit" So I copied every dll.
But now it does work, I think I'm going to make some 2-tiles or even 4-tiles walls in my next Wallpaper Combine set. So thank you very much for your help and patience!
I definitly going to mention you in the Credits :up:
I just need to remember that when using these 2-tiles or 4-tiles walls in a combine set, I have to clearly mention about the thing that you doesn't know with these walls where they start.
Here's my 2-tiles seamless (flying) turtle ;)
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478248-FindingNemo_2-tyle_TurtleTest2.jpg

plasticbox
3rd Nov 2014, 9:51 PM
Ah cool! Great to see it's working! =)

Maybe what one could do with multi-tile motifs, so that they can be placed anywhere, would be to make multiple versions of it (two in your case) where the image starts on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd .. tile (and wraps around)? Or would that again create a seam at the ends?

Then in game one would just need to switch to a different version if one wants to move the turtle one tile over to the left .. or un-jumble it when it got jumbled by moving the house around.

Bakie
3rd Nov 2014, 11:18 PM
Ah cool! Great to see it's working! =)

Maybe what one could do with multi-tile motifs, so that they can be placed anywhere, would be to make multiple versions of it (two in your case) where the image starts on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd .. tile (and wraps around)? Or would that again create a seam at the ends?

Then in game one would just need to switch to a different version if one wants to move the turtle one tile over to the left .. or un-jumble it when it got jumbled by moving the house around.

I just created a second version of the turtle which makes it able to place it one tile to the side. Your idea works!
I just cutted the turtle on my first version in half and placed it on the edges. And there is no seam! I don't exactly understand why it doesn't have seams this way by the way.. Because now you still have different textures on the edge of the wall..
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478249-FindingNemo_2-tyle_Turtle2.jpg

Edit:
Moving your whole house or whole wall one tile to a side would help too, but I don't think that's easy to do with multiple walls in multiple rooms in one house.
I just saw that I placed the halfs the wrong way... :lol:

3Sierra3
4th Nov 2014, 1:34 AM
Which wrappers are you using for this? The release version of s4pe will break MATD; you need to use the s4pi wrappers from Sims4Studio instead (those are newer than the ones in the s4pe download). That was what the MATD thread was about ..So if we use the .dlls the people at Sims 4 Studio made this will work? I guess if I share my mural done this way I give them double credit then since I tried doing this without fixing s4pe and it isn't working.

plasticbox
4th Nov 2014, 2:49 AM
So if we use the .dlls the people at Sims 4 Studio made this will work? I guess if I share my mural done this way I give them double credit then since I tried doing this without fixing s4pe and it isn't working.

Those dlls (the s4pi ones -- not the other ones, I don't think s4pe would know what to do with those) are the same in s4pe and s4studio. But since the s4pe distribution is being updated less frequently, the most recent versions are currently found in the s4studio distribution. At least I wouldn't know that they're being released separately somehow, I've only seen them packaged with one or the other.

(As far as credit goes, the only person credited in the most recent source I have looked at is Peter Jones. Even though Kuree is currently maintaining it; I don't know who else contributed.)

But what is not working for you now? When you say "if I share my mural done this way", that sounds like it does work? Or do you mean share it after (if, when ..) you have gotten it to work, which it currently doesn't?

I just cutted the turtle on my first version in half and placed it on the edges. And there is no seam! I don't exactly understand why it doesn't have seams this way by the way.. Because now you still have different textures on the edge of the wall..

It works because now (with the UVScale edit) you're telling the game to place your texture over *two* tiles .. without that goddamn seam in the middle (where formerly one texture ended and the next one started .. now it is one texture and not two). That was the whole trick =). (Actually, do you have seams on the left and right of the cut-up turtle when you place "blank" (blue/water/fish) textures on the wall next to it? Or do you not have seams there either?)

By the way, regarding your tree in the corner of that other mural -- have you ever tried to make that an actual corner texture? It would have to be (made) symmetrical then, but that also seems to be a recipe for seamlessness. Or, *lightbulb* ... you could make that one a two-tile texture too? That would even be more useful, since it could be placed anywhere, not just in corners.

Bakie
4th Nov 2014, 4:40 PM
It works because now (with the UVScale edit) you're telling the game to place your texture over *two* tiles .. without that goddamn seam in the middle (where formerly one texture ended and the next one started .. now it is one texture and not two). That was the whole trick =). (Actually, do you have seams on the left and right of the cut-up turtle when you place "blank" (blue/water/fish) textures on the wall next to it? Or do you not have seams there either?)

I did some test. First I placed the same wallpaper next to the turtles. Resulting in the cut-up turtle (The one with a half turtle on each edge) being seamless but the "normal" one with the turtle in the middle showing seams.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478252-FN_2-tileTurtle2_replaceonside.jpg

Then I made 2 water wallpapers, one 1-tile and one 2-tile. And again the normal one has seams and the cutted one don't..
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478253-FN_2-tileTurtle2Water.jpg

So I guess it's not possible to make 2 different versions of a 2-tile wall because there is still one with seams when connecting.

To make things more clear, this is my normal dds (now as jpg) With seams when placing next to each other:
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478250-FindingNemo_2-tile_Turtle_Short.jpg

And this is my Cutted dds (now as jpg) Without seams when placing next to each other:
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/3/7/5/1/1/1/9/MTS_Bakie-1478251-FindingNemo_2-tile_Turtle2_Short.jpg

But I don't know how that will be with 4 tile wallpapers and where to cut..

By the way, regarding your tree in the corner of that other mural -- have you ever tried to make that an actual corner texture? It would have to be (made) symmetrical then, but that also seems to be a recipe for seamlessness. Or, *lightbulb* ... you could make that one a two-tile texture too? That would even be more useful, since it could be placed anywhere, not just in corners.

Making corner pieces has always to be 2-tile wallpapers because of the seams with 1 tile wallpapers with different textures on the side. But when I made the corner tree the first time I was not aware of the seams that it may cause, it was already ment to be 2 wallpapers for both corner and normal walls. ;)

plasticbox
4th Nov 2014, 5:03 PM
I'm not on the machine with the game and stuff installed right now, but I just quickly checked this out in Photoshop -- your first image (this one (http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/BakieProductions/The%20Sims%204/FindingNemo_2-tile_Turtle_Short_zpsbad9a084.jpg)) actually seems to have seams in the image file. That is, left and right edge are not identical -- you can see that in PS easily with the "Displacement" filter (I believe that's what it's called in English). See screenshot! (Disregard the colours, I just copied it without colour management .. but I believe one can already see on the image you posted that the gradient is not horizontal)

Could it be that you fixed this in the cut-up version somehow, or used a different background or something?

But it's great when there are no seams other than that :) -- I was concerned that maybe the cut-up turtle would again produce brown (turtle-coloured) seams on its left and right edge, where it meets a non-turtle wall.

Making corner pieces has always to be 2-tile wallpapers
No, Maxis corner walls are only one tile; they're mirrored at the corner -- that's what I meant initially. But for that tree a regular mural (two tile) would be nicer anyway! =)

Bakie
4th Nov 2014, 5:39 PM
I'm not on the machine with the game and stuff installed right now, but I just quickly checked this out in Photoshop -- your first image actually seems to have seams in the image file. That is, left and right edge are not identical -- you can see that in PS easily with the "Displacement" filter (I believe that's what it's called in English). See screenshot! (Disregard the colours, I just copied it without colour management .. but I believe one can already see on the image you posted that the gradient is not horizontal)

Could it be that you fixed this in the cut-up version somehow, or used a different background or something?

But it's great when there are no seams other than that :) -- I was concerned that maybe the cut-up turtle would again produce brown (turtle-coloured) seams on its left and right edge, where it meets a non-turtle wall.

I think I just screwed up the background then in the first image. So 2 versions are possible, both without seams. ;)

I'm now trying to make a 2-tile and 1-tile wall that fit to each other with grass on the bottom like with the grassland summer combine set I made. That's a lot more diffucult than only a gradient background.
Maybe make a 1 tile seamless background and duplicate it for the 2-tile, so it always fitts..

Bakie
5th Nov 2014, 8:21 PM
Ok, so I made a new combine set with 1-tile, 2-tile and 4-tile wallpapers. Which all look perfectly fine by the way! No seams or whatsoever. :D
But about the different versions, I don't think it's necessary.

Start with the 4 tile wallpaper and place that the right way by hovering with your mouse over the walls while the 4-tile wallpaper is selected, you can see exactly where it starts. All 4- or 2-tiles wallpapers you place after that one, will start with the left-side of the selected wallpaper.
So when placing one 4-tile wallpaper and you want a new 4-tiles wallpaper a bit further, just leave 4 walls open and than place your wallpaper on the 5th wall to begin.
The 4 tiles next to the wallpaper can be filled up by two 2-tiles wallpapers which will start right after the 4-tile wallpaper. (Or place two 1-tiles and one 2-tiles)

Is this text above understandable?
Maybe I have to make a short tutorial on my youtube channel and place that in my maintext in my upload? Or isn't that possible?

plasticbox
5th Nov 2014, 9:36 PM
Um, to be honest .. those instructions are rather confusing to me (and I already know what they are talking about -- I think they must be even more confusing for people who don’t ;) ).

You cannot include/embed videos on this site, if that’s what you’re thinking of -- but you can certainly link to one (with a text link I mean).

I guess you should probably also link to the post (http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12908034/#Comment_12908034) by the ModSquad guy in any case -- to make it clear that the placement thing is a game issue, not a limitation of your upload, I mean.

As far as wording goes, maybe something simpler would be easier to digest, like "please note that where exactly a mural will start and end depends on its position on a lot -- see here (http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12908034/#Comment_12908034) for a more in-depth explanation".

Seeing as you already made all those screenshots .. maybe you could post a little tutorial too, if you want to? Either on making murals, or on using them in game, or both rolled into one? Not sure what would work better, video or post, for the in-game part -- but for creation tutorials I find that text and pictures often work better simply because they’re not moving .. people can follow along at their own pace. (If you'd want to post one on this site, be aware you can use the Creator Issues forum to put it together if you want -- there, only you (and staff) can see a post. So that people won’t post and ask questions about a half-finished tutorial, I mean. When you’re done you can PM me or some other moderator to move it to Tutorials.)

Bakie
5th Nov 2014, 11:45 PM
Um, to be honest .. those instructions are rather confusing to me (and I already know what they are talking about -- I think they must be even more confusing for people who don’t ;) ).

You cannot include/embed videos on this site, if that’s what you’re thinking of -- but you can certainly link to one (with a text link I mean).

I guess you should probably also link to the post (http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12908034/#Comment_12908034) by the ModSquad guy in any case -- to make it clear that the placement thing is a game issue, not a limitation of your upload, I mean.

As far as wording goes, maybe something simpler would be easier to digest, like "please note that where exactly a mural will start and end depends on its position on a lot -- see here (http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12908034/#Comment_12908034) for a more in-depth explanation".

Seeing as you already made all those screenshots .. maybe you could post a little tutorial too, if you want to? Either on making murals, or on using them in game, or both rolled into one? Not sure what would work better, video or post, for the in-game part -- but for creation tutorials I find that text and pictures often work better simply because they’re not moving .. people can follow along at their own pace. (If you'd want to post one on this site, be aware you can use the Creator Issues forum to put it together if you want -- there, only you (and staff) can see a post. So that people won’t post and ask questions about a half-finished tutorial, I mean. When you’re done you can PM me or some other moderator to move it to Tutorials.)

I already thought that it was rather confusing. I think your short explaination is WAY better. I'm going to think about making those tutorials. I think I can explain things more in depth by video as I can show exactly what I'm doing, like in my Dutch tutorial about making clothes with images on them. And than hoping my English is understandable. ;)
In my opinion videos work better than images, because they are moving :D Unless people don't say exactly what they are doing and skip steps because they think that people will understand it anyway.
But I'm going to cut it into several parts I think. Like a part for:
*Making the dds files, three for each wall height and how to make them seamless in photoshop.
*Using Wallez + notepad for making the package
*Making 2 and 4 tiles wallpapers

But first I have to finish my new combine set and upload the stuff. Maybe do an in-game tutorial for the placing of the wallpapers. Making videos cost a lot of time too by the way.
And I'm probably going to have less time because of many birthdays and things as Sinterklaas (Dutch tradition), Christmas and New year.
And I'm a game console player too and there are many good games coming this month for my PS4. There are not enough hours in one day..

Maryloe
7th Nov 2014, 12:36 AM
Hi Bakie ( hallo Bakie)

I saw you are also a dutchie :-) me to , i hope you wil get the time to make the tutorials about creating the wallpapers in sims 4 , and i hope it will be video tutorials because not everybody understands the english language that perfect to understand all the facts about creating the wallpapers.

Grtz Maryloe

3Sierra3
7th Nov 2014, 8:40 AM
Hi Bakie ( hallo Bakie)

I saw you are also a dutchie :-) me to , i hope you wil get the time to make the tutorials about creating the wallpapers in sims 4 , and i hope it will be video tutorials because not everybody understands the english language that perfect to understand all the facts about creating the wallpapers.

Grtz MaryloeThere is a really good tutorial on how to make walls here http://sims-studio.proboards.com/thread/108/walls-studio-custom-maxis-match

Its really easy and if you have questions the people there are very nice.

plasticbox
7th Nov 2014, 1:10 PM
Well there’s a lot of tutorials (see also here (http://db.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=708)), but almost all are in English – for non-English people it would surely be helpful to have one in their own language.

Also, @Bakie the s4s distribution that contained the working s4pi.GenericRCOLResource.dll has promptly been taken down -- I have reuploaded that wrapper here (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=540810). (So you don’t link people to the wrong place when you make a tutorial I mean .. and, sure, do whichever format you prefer! =)

Bakie
7th Nov 2014, 5:56 PM
Hi Bakie ( hallo Bakie)

Grtz Maryloe

Hello Maryloe,

Yes it will be video tutorials where I will explain as many as possible. Also how to make the dds files in photoshop. ;)
I think they will be in the English language, but maybe I can make a Dutch version too. It's quite a lot of work so... I don't know yet.

Also, @Bakie the s4s distribution that contained the working s4pi.GenericRCOLResource.dll has promptly been taken down -- I have reuploaded that wrapper here (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=540810). (So you don’t like people to the wrong place when you make a tutorial I mean .. and, sure, do whichever format you prefer! =)

I will send you a PM about that when I'm going to make my tutorial, maybe got some other question too. ;)

plasticbox
15th Dec 2014, 9:35 PM
Regarding (seams in) corner walls: this is indeed solvable (and actually pretty simple) by referencing the corner textures like in the Maxis walls. That way the corner textures will be mirrored with no visible seam, i.e. they work like the Maxis automagic corner walls. See also this thread, post #5 and down: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=542692

The walls mentioned in that thread have meanwhile been uploaded (see FHRA's profile) and I also made some; mine are a manual clone of an existing Maxis CWAL with the MATD and diffuse textures replaced .. I believe hers are done the same way.

Bakie
4th Feb 2015, 7:01 PM
@Maryloe

I've finally made an easy to follow tutorial about: How to make a seamless pattern wallpaper: http://youtu.be/46D7hpchdhQ
More about making wallpapers will come over time. It's in English, but you will understand I think. Otherwise just ask in the comments. ;)

@plasticbox
Can you add this tutorial and my other 2 tutorials mentioned in this thread: Click (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532269&c=0&ht=&page=2&pp=25#startcomments) to your TS4 tutorial list? I'm still going to make one for the multiple tile wallpapers too ;)

Blackgryffin
12th Feb 2015, 1:35 AM
Regarding (seams in) corner walls: this is indeed solvable (and actually pretty simple) by referencing the corner textures like in the Maxis walls. That way the corner textures will be mirrored with no visible seam, i.e. they work like the Maxis automagic corner walls. See also this thread, post #5 and down: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=542692

The walls mentioned in that thread have meanwhile been uploaded (see FHRA's profile) and I also made some; mine are a manual clone of an existing Maxis CWAL with the MATD and diffuse textures replaced .. I believe hers are done the same way.

So, if I understand correctly. To get the seams correctly, walls need to be done in s4pe by being clone of one specific Maxis wall ? Sorry, when it comes to s4pe, I start loosing it :D

mustluvcatz
12th Feb 2015, 1:55 AM
Sims 4 Studio does corners for the walls now. I think.

plasticbox
12th Feb 2015, 10:46 AM
To get the seams correctly, walls need to be done in s4pe by being clone of one specific Maxis wall?

Not of a specfic one – any wall that has corners will be fine.

3Sierra3
13th Feb 2015, 7:23 AM
mustluvcatz is right. I use Sims 4 Studio to make corner walls and I used this tutorial to learn how:
http://www.sims4studio.com/thread/598/make-sims-4-walls-corners

Blackgryffin
13th Feb 2015, 8:18 PM
Thank you for the links and answers.
I don't use S4studio to make walls, there's a thing with the stretch that doesn't make it for me :)

3Sierra3
14th Feb 2015, 4:33 AM
I don't know what you mean by stretch. I've looked at some of your walls and your package size is very large. Your images are sized so that some people will have question mark images instead of your image in the game. This is happening because you are not making your wall images the same size that EA makes their wall images. This was already posted about here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=539370&c=1&ht=&page=1&pp=25#startcomments

Sims 4 Studio can make walls with the image sizes that you use. I make most of my walls for my own personal game and I don't have the question mark bug so I use the larger sizes for those. I make all of my walls with Sims 4 Studio and it has no problem with that size image. If you're making your walls to share and making packages that are that big, you might want to warn people that have the question mark bug that your walls will not work for their game so they don't waste their time downloading that large file when it isn't going to work.

Blackgryffin
6th Apr 2016, 4:26 AM
1 year to answer : shame on me :D Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ... Thanks 3sierra3 4 you advices but I'm aware about. I just said I prefer minimize the stretch. WallEz works super fine for creating sharp nice walls which respects everything necessary to get EA compatible walls. I just intended to say I'm not interested in making clones of maxis walls. Thanks anyway.

Related to seams ... There an easy tip with your graphic software : always prefer to work on a non-layered file, then, add a pure red or green layer and then add your wall layers. Before sending the walls to dds work ( for those who do not have a dds plugin inside your graphic program ) : do not forget to layer the background.

In Photoshop, working only with layers without a flat background can occure seams ... Hope it will help someone :)