MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Simsco Canning Factory Mod

by Simsonian Library Posted 2nd Apr 2022 at 9:25 PM - Updated 3rd Jan 2023 at 2:35 PM by Simsonian Library
 
71 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 56 Feedback Posts, 14 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 12:14 AM
Great thought. I love it.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#3 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 7:57 AM
This is really a wonderful idea! It's great to be able to change the multiple garden produces into bulks of cans and jars! I've only got one question: is it also possible for cc-fruits and vegetables from Icemunmun and others?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 2:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BrittaMA
This is really a wonderful idea! It's great to be able to change the multiple garden produces into bulks of cans and jars! I've only got one question: is it also possible for cc-fruits and vegetables from Icemunmun and others?


It would be possible to develop Canning Factory recipes to create just about anything, but for each specific item, I need to create a box of cans object with a texture and 'Open it Up' tuning, and a recipe to make it with the machine. Then do the same for the can object. So it's a little bit of work for each item.

Right now, the machine does have a few recipes that specify ingredients by 'tag', so more than one thing would work. To have it make a Commercial Sized Bag of Sugar, you can use any 6 ingredients tagged with 'Func_Ingredient_Fruit'. To make the MRE's, you can use any 6 ingredients tagged Func_Ingredient_Veggie and/or Func_Ingredient_Fish. Same goes for the cans of Fishcake -- any 6 items tagged Func_Ingredient_Fish. So if CC produce is tagged with those things, it should probably work for those recipes.

The machine currently only has the recipes it knows built in. I'm thinking (and have been thinking) of a way to add my own custom recipe tag category, so that if others wanted to make boxes and cans for CC produce, the machine would find them (tagged with that category) and provide a way to make them. Depends on how much people like this thing, and whether anyone else would ever make canning factory recipes for additional items.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#5 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 2:45 PM
Thank you, this is a really cool idea!
Test Subject
#6 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 3:19 PM
Hello, is this compatible with SCCO?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by puking_king
Hello, is this compatible with SCCO?


I haven't tested it, but this mod doesn't override any built-in tuning, so it's not likely to be incompatible. I'll look into SCCO when I get a chance.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#8 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 4:16 PM
Sugar, without needing to order it??? Bulk-canning instead of clicking one canning session at a time? I love you so much, THANK YOU!!!
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 7:03 PM
I am having a weird bug with mine. I put it in a off the grid lot: could load, but not actually use the machine. Assumed it was the off the grid bit. Removed the off the grid thing, but the machine would still not give me the make option.
Put it on a community lot and it works every time.
Had it in a different residential lot, worked for the first little while, then suddenly stopped working. Same thing again; no make option, but can load items.
Not entirely sure what I've done wrong here.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Migeliswin
I am having a weird bug with mine. I put it in a off the grid lot: could load, but not actually use the machine. Assumed it was the off the grid bit. Removed the off the grid thing, but the machine would still not give me the make option.
Put it on a community lot and it works every time.
Had it in a different residential lot, worked for the first little while, then suddenly stopped working. Same thing again; no make option, but can load items.
Not entirely sure what I've done wrong here.


The machine does need power and won't work off the grid. In fact, I was thinking about having it generate a little pollution as well -- it is a canning factory, after all. Community lots are a great place to put these, since your sim doesn't have to purchase one themselves.

When you describe the make option as not being there, is there another option to clean the machine, like 'polish to perfection' or something? And does the machine look dirty? It needs to be cleaned every 6 uses or so.
If that's not it, let me know the exact wording of the menu options you see when you can't see the make batch recipes anymore. Thanks!
Scholar
#11 Old 3rd Apr 2022 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsonian Library
In fact, I was thinking about having it generate a little pollution as well -- it is a canning factory, after all.

I'd love that!

Thank you for the machine, it'll go great with my existing factories and industrial level farms!
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Apr 2022 at 3:23 PM
Love the concept however I'm having the same issue that someone else reported.
When placed on my home lot I only get the Open and Load Ingredients menu options, which work fine and let me load things up without any issues. However there is no Batch Food Processing at all. The machine is not dirty, and I have no other mods that could be causing a conflict (Went as far as to remove all other mods to test this). Tried it in a community lot (a museum if that matters) and worked fine. Was able to Load Ingredients without any issues and then ran several cycles of Batch Food Processing, cleaning when needed.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Apr 2022 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by glass_necro
Love the concept however I'm having the same issue that someone else reported.
When placed on my home lot I only get the Open and Load Ingredients menu options, which work fine and let me load things up without any issues. However there is no Batch Food Processing at all. The machine is not dirty, and I have no other mods that could be causing a conflict (Went as far as to remove all other mods to test this). Tried it in a community lot (a museum if that matters) and worked fine. Was able to Load Ingredients without any issues and then ran several cycles of Batch Food Processing, cleaning when needed.


I'm looking into that issue. What's really odd is that I've been doing most of my testing of this mod on a couple of residential lots that are large farms.

If you replace the item with a new one, does it work again? If so, it sounds like it's something tied to an object statistic. Hmm, there was a 'refill with flour' mechanism on the original Cupcake Factory -- it's possible that parts of that are still active in the object tuning, and there's no way to refill the flour now, so... If I can narrow this down, I'll post an update ASAP.

Until then, it sounds like it's not happening on community lots...actually that does make sense if it's the Refill with flour stuff causing the issue -- it would probably be disabled on non-owned lots? Anyway, looking into it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Apr 2022 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsonian Library
I'm looking into that issue. What's really odd is that I've been doing most of my testing of this mod on a couple of residential lots that are large farms.

If you replace the item with a new one, does it work again? If so, it sounds like it's something tied to an object statistic. Hmm, there was a 'refill with flour' mechanism on the original Cupcake Factory -- it's possible that parts of that are still active in the object tuning, and there's no way to refill the flour now, so... If I can narrow this down, I'll post an update ASAP.

Until then, it sounds like it's not happening on community lots...actually that does make sense if it's the Refill with flour stuff causing the issue -- it would probably be disabled on non-owned lots? Anyway, looking into it.


Well, 5 Minutes of looking and I found the test that checks the factory's 'cupcake batter' level. I'm removing it. It might take a while before it gets drained (since none of the recipes use it, but a tiny bit is subtracted with each run anyway), but it shouldn't be there.

Not sure how I missed that the first time. I'll put an update together.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Apr 2022 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsonian Library
Well, 5 Minutes of looking and I found the test that checks the factory's 'cupcake batter' level. I'm removing it. It might take a while before it gets drained (since none of the recipes use it, but a tiny bit is subtracted with each run anyway), but it shouldn't be there.

Not sure how I missed that the first time. I'll put an update together.


While I was fixing that, I found another leftover test to prevent using the machine when it was on a lot with the zoneModifiers_lotTrait_RequiredIngredients lot trait (Simple Living). Removing that as well. If you had the Simple Living lot trait at home, and you've been having this problem, try removing it for now. I'll have an update together that removes that restriction very soon.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Apr 2022 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsonian Library
While I was fixing that, I found another leftover test to prevent using the machine when it was on a lot with the zoneModifiers_lotTrait_RequiredIngredients lot trait (Simple Living). Removing that as well. If you had the Simple Living lot trait at home, and you've been having this problem, try removing it for now. I'll have an update together that removes that restriction very soon.


@glass_necro , @Migeliswin :
I just uploaded an update to fix the issue on lots with the Simple Living lot trait. I also added a Refill Canning Supplies menu option in case anyone runs into a lack of supplies (cupcake batter) issue, but I think the main problem was the issue with the Simple Living lot trait.
Test Subject
#17 Old 6th Apr 2022 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsonian Library
@glass_necro , @Migeliswin :
I just uploaded an update to fix the issue on lots with the Simple Living lot trait. I also added a Refill Canning Supplies menu option in case anyone runs into a lack of supplies (cupcake batter) issue, but I think the main problem was the issue with the Simple Living lot trait.

Just confirmed, the update fixed the issue for me. Great work! Thanks for a quick resolution.
Looking forward to seeing how you expand on what this mod can do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Apr 2022 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by glass_necro
Just confirmed, the update fixed the issue for me. Great work! Thanks for a quick resolution.
Looking forward to seeing how you expand on what this mod can do.


Thanks for the detailed bug report! Makes all the difference.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#19 Old 6th Apr 2022 at 11:10 PM
What a fantastic mod! Thank you for this. It will be perfect for my farms and grocery stores.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#20 Old 12th Apr 2022 at 11:38 PM
This is such a cool mod! I was just stating how much cottage living made me desire the ability to box up my products so that it looks nicer when sold! Thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 13th Apr 2022 at 9:26 AM
Another wonderful mod! I've been using this so much! I wish something like this existed for flowers where we could add flowers, they would get "distilled" and out pops perfume!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 13th Apr 2022 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Crinolina
Another wonderful mod! I've been using this so much! I wish something like this existed for flowers where we could add flowers, they would get "distilled" and out pops perfume!


Oh, that's a really good idea for flowers. Making a note of that.
Test Subject
#23 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 2:39 AM Last edited by peachypie7 : 23rd Apr 2022 at 11:21 AM.
I am having so much fun with this! For some reason, mine is requiring strawberries to make the raspberry jam and raspberries won't work. My sims run a farm shop out of their home, I'd love to be able to make all of the canning recipes but I understand it would take a long time to set it up.

eta: when I just opened a box of fish cakes, it gave me cans of peas. Do you think I have a mod conflict?
eta: my sack of sugars say they are meat substitute when I hover. Not complaining just letting you know. I love this so much, been running it nonstop since I put it in.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by peachypie7
I am having so much fun with this! For some reason, mine is requiring strawberries to make the raspberry jam and raspberries won't work. My sims run a farm shop out of their home, I'd love to be able to make all of the canning recipes but I understand it would take a long time to set it up.

eta: when I just opened a box of fish cakes, it gave me cans of peas. Do you think I have a mod conflict?
eta: my sack of sugars say they are meat substitute when I hover. Not complaining just letting you know. I love this so much, been running it nonstop since I put it in.


Hmm, I'll check all of those things and post an update if I discover that some of the products are 'wired' incorrectly. There were a LOT of objects to set up with this mod, and it's entirely possible that I swapped some tunings between things inadvertently.

Thanks for the details, it will help me look into it!

ps. Also I plan to get back to finishing up all the rest of the built-in canning recipes! I'll probably add more canned vegetables, too, since I found a stash of vintage can labels.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by peachypie7
I am having so much fun with this! For some reason, mine is requiring strawberries to make the raspberry jam and raspberries won't work. My sims run a farm shop out of their home, I'd love to be able to make all of the canning recipes but I understand it would take a long time to set it up.

eta: when I just opened a box of fish cakes, it gave me cans of peas. Do you think I have a mod conflict?
eta: my sack of sugars say they are meat substitute when I hover. Not complaining just letting you know. I love this so much, been running it nonstop since I put it in.


I just verified that it inadvertently requires strawberries for the raspberry jam recipe, so I'll work on an update to fix that. I haven't been able to discover any issues with the box of fishcakes or sugar yet by scanning the tuning, but I will try it out in game later and see if I can replicate it.

Thanks again for the detailed report!
Page 1 of 3