MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Give Me Some Talent

by FDSims4Mods Posted 19th Sep 2021 at 12:19 AM - Updated 16th Nov 2021 at 8:10 PM by FDSims4Mods
86 Comments / replies (Who?) - 17 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Last Mod Update: Nov. 16, 2021 [V1.04] - See the Changelog section for more details.

Short Description:

This mod adds more than 120 new traits that make sims learn skills faster or slower than usual. A sim will get them based on their previous life-stage skills level. So, toddler skills define how much faster (or slower) a sim will learn child skills. In its turn, child skills are important to determine which speed a sim will learn teen/adult skills.

In summary, this mod will punish your sims with they don’t have adequate toddler and child skills before growing up. For example, a toddler with insufficient “Movement Skill” will get traits that make them learn the “Motor Skill” slowly after growing up to a child. Similarly, child sims with insufficient “Motor Skill” tend to learn teen/adult skills linked to the “Motor Skill” (fitness, bowling, mountain climbing, etc.) slowly.

This feature only applies to played sims. Unplayed ones will randomly receive talent traits independently of their previous life stage skills levels.

All toddlers, and sims created at CAS, also randomly get some traits that make them good or bad at some skills. The same occurs for all sims created before this mod is installed. You can remove any talent trait you automatically received by this mod. You can also manually give any trait you want.

Detailed Description:



Add-Ons Descriptions

This mod comes with some optional features that make the game fit better the idea that skills are linked with their previous life-stage counterparts. Below, you can see a short general description of the optional features of this mod.
It doesn’t make sense a child can learn bowling without motor skill. To solve that problem, this mod (through an add-on) applies the same procedure used on other adult skills that a child can learn (like fishing). In this way, child sims will only learn bowling after maximizing the motor skill. As you can see in the names of add-ons files, other skills pass through a similar process (changing only the child skill they’re linked to).
Since a child learns video game skill after reaching level 10 in mental skill, playing video games should increase the mental skill instead of the motor one.
As said in its description, the mental skill is strongly linked to logical activities. Talking with dead people seems more a social activity than a logical one. So, now, a child sim will gain social skill (instead mental) when using the seance table. Moreover, they only start to gain the medium skill after maximizing the social skill.
Having a child with a superior level in all skills should be a rare situation, as is having one with an insufficient level in all skills. So, this mod makes learning toddler and child skills harder to make growing up a kid (or a toddler) with a superior level in all skills challenging. In this way, you will take much more time to reach high levels than before the mod installation.


Overrides, Compatibilities and Dependencies:

As you can see in the .package files’ names, only the optional add-ons override some XMLs. They only override features linked to the activity they modify. For example, the add-on that makes bowling gives motor skill overrides XMLs associated with the bowling feature. Avoid using these add-ons with other mods that override the same features.
You don’t need any Kits, Expansion, Game, or Stuff Packs to use this mod. However, if you install any package linked to an expansion, you will get talent traits of skill you cannot learn.

IMPORTANT: This mod requires Scumbumbo’s XML Injector Script Mod to work. If you don’t have it, you can download it at his Memorial webpage (www.scumbumbomods.com/xml-injector). You only need the script mod (the “.package” file isn’t necessary).

Translations:

At this moment, this mod is only available in the following languages:
  • English
  • Polish (by AuroraSky)
  • Spanish (by Patricia Martinez)
So, when using the game in another language, some parts (that uses text from the game) may appear in the desired language. Still, some text (those included by this mod) will appear in English.
If you are interested in translating this mod, please contact me. I can help you. When translating this mod, don’t forget to write that you did the translation in the text inside the “about this mod” button (string 0D735031).


How to install:

You must install the “.package” file with “BASEGAME” in its name and those with the expansions names you have.
After installing a new expansion, install the complementary mod file linked to this expansion. After doing it, you will get retroactive talent traits linked to the DLC you installed. For example, after installing the bowling expansion (and its mod file), your sim may get bad bowling talent traits if they had insufficient motor skill when they grew up. This will occur even if your sim was already an adult when the expansion was installed.

Acknowledgments:
  • Sims 4 Studio Team
  • Scumbumbo
  • Triplis

Changelog:

[2021/11/16] [V1.04]
  • BUG FIX: Now, you can properly disable (or enable) the monitoring system for non-active sims.
  • IMPROVEMENT: Added Spanish translation.
[2021/11/03] [V1.03]
  • IMPROVEMENT: Added Polish translation.
[2021/10/25] [V1.02]
  • BUG FIX: Talent Traits no more appear like Aspiration Traits.
  • BUG FIX: Some other minor issues are solved. Now, this mod’s packages no more appear as incompatible in the Better Exceptions Patch analysis.
[2021/09] [V1.01]
  • BUG FIX: Fixed a bug where you get notifications about the superior mental skill level forever.
  • BUG FIX: Fixed a bug where Bad at Mischief appears with the name and description of Bad at Charisma.
  • BUG FIX: Monitoring toddler skills traits now disappear after the toddler grows up.
  • BUG FIX: You will no longer gain cross-stitch talent traits when you shouldn’t.
  • IMPROVEMENT: The feature that makes it harder to maximize the toddlers and child skills is now optional. If you want to disable it, please do not install its Add-on file. (If you have already installed this mod, you need to download and install the “BaseGame” file again. Otherwise, this feature will not be disabled).
  • BUG FIX: Fixed the bug I created when solving the last bug.
  • BUG FIX: Children no more gain talents traits indefinitely after reaching level 10 in a child skill.
  • BUG FIX: Solved a bug that caused an error when adding traits through UI Cheats mod.

Type:
      Skilling
      Other

You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents Size Downloads Date
FD_GiveMeSomeTalent_V1.04.zip

Size: 2.24 MB · Downloads: 29,152 · 16th Nov 2021
2.24 MB 29,152 16th Nov 2021
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
Basic Download and Install Instructions:
1. Download: Click the File tab to see the download link. Click the link to save the .rar or .zip file(s) to your computer.
Read the upload description for installation instructions. If nothing else is specified, do the following:
2. Extract: Use WinRAR (Windows) to extract the .package file(s) (if included, ts4script as well) from the .rar or .zip file(s).
3. Cut and paste the .package file(s) (if included, ts4script as well) into your Mods folder
  • Windows XP: Documents and Settings\(Current User Account)\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\
  • Windows Vista/7/8/8.1: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\

Need more information?
  • Anyone can use both .rar and .zip files easily! On Windows, use WinRAR.
  • If you don't have a Mods folder, just make one.
  • Mod still not working? Make sure you have script mods enabled
 
86 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 71 Feedback Posts, 12 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 4
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#51 Old 24th Sep 2021 at 12:28 PM
gracias que sepas que iba a traducir el mod al Español pero no tiene incluida la cadena de idiomas ya me dirás algo
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#52 Old 24th Sep 2021 at 2:19 PM Last edited by FDSims4Mods : 24th Sep 2021 at 2:57 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena1962
gracias que sepas que iba a traducir el mod al Español pero no tiene incluida la cadena de idiomas ya me dirás algo

I'm not sure if I understand your comment.
If you are asking about the Spanish string table, it is (only) in the "Base Game" package file, as shown in the picture below.
All texts (including those linked with the DLCs) are in this string table.
Screenshots
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#53 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 4:22 PM
I love this so much!! Thank you!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#54 Old 20th Oct 2021 at 9:27 PM
Omg, I love this! Can't wait to try it out ???? been waiting for this kind of things to come to the game, now I might not need to wait.
Test Subject
#55 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 2:25 PM
Seems to have some gameplay traits as type aspiration, is that intentional or an issue? Gets a bit weird when showing of a sim in world mode, and sees these traits instead of their real aspiration trait.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#56 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_lilja
Seems to have some gameplay traits as type aspiration, is that intentional or an issue? Gets a bit weird when showing of a sim in world mode, and sees these traits instead of their real aspiration trait.

It is intentional. If this mod's traits are set as gameplay traits, they will appear in CAS and overpopulate the CAS traits menu. So, I needed to set them as aspiration traits.
Test Subject
#57 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 10:43 AM Last edited by sweet_lilja : 25th Oct 2021 at 11:21 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDSims4Mods
It is intentional. If this mod's traits are set as gameplay traits, they will appear in CAS and overpopulate the CAS traits menu. So, I needed to set them as aspiration traits.


Are you sure, isn´t that the "Personality" type traits that goes in to CAS? I have many gameplay traits in my own mod, and they are not in CAS, only the personality traits goes there in my game. At least in the UI, but maybe it is something about backend performance you mean?

Another issue I noticed is that when I run the patch scan from Better Exceptions, it tells med the mod has wrong on these tags:
Code:
<L n="interaction_category_tags">
   <T>INVALID</T>
</L>

on the interactions adding and removing stuff. The T is supposed to be an E, but I dont´t belive it will be a big problem since it is the default value, but these messages on invalid tuning is a bit overwhelming in the patch scanning files, when trying to find errors in mods. This seems to be an issue in other mods too, but this one is having so many of them.

I really like this mod and would like to keep me in the game, but might need to remove it until it has been fixed if wanting to keep my mind relaxed.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#58 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 8:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_lilja
Are you sure, isn´t that the "Personality" type traits that goes in to CAS? I have many gameplay traits in my own mod, and they are not in CAS, only the personality traits goes there in my game. At least in the UI, but maybe it is something about backend performance you mean?

Another issue I noticed is that when I run the patch scan from Better Exceptions, it tells med the mod has wrong on these tags:
Code:
<L n="interaction_category_tags">
   <T>INVALID</T>
</L>

on the interactions adding and removing stuff. The T is supposed to be an E, but I dont´t belive it will be a big problem since it is the default value, but these messages on invalid tuning is a bit overwhelming in the patch scanning files, when trying to find errors in mods. This seems to be an issue in other mods too, but this one is having so many of them.

I really like this mod and would like to keep me in the game, but might need to remove it until it has been fixed if wanting to keep my mind relaxed.

Sorry. I thought you were talking about personality traits.
You're right! The talents traits should be of the gameplay type. As you can see in the new mod version, I just fixed this problem.
I didn't know the Better Exceptions mod. Thanks for presenting it to me.
The typos that it shows are all corrected now. This mod's packages no more appear as "incompatible" when running the Better Exceptions Patch Scan.
Test Subject
#59 Old 26th Oct 2021 at 1:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDSims4Mods
Sorry. I thought you were talking about personality traits.
You're right! The talents traits should be of the gameplay type. As you can see in the new mod version, I just fixed this problem.
I didn't know the Better Exceptions mod. Thanks for presenting it to me.
The typos that it shows are all corrected now. This mod's packages no more appear as "incompatible" when running the Better Exceptions Patch Scan.

Wow, that was very fast fixing it, thank you so much! ????
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#60 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 6:56 PM
Thank you! It looks interesting and adds some depth to toddler training which was actually quite linear and dull. I'll try it!
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
10th Nov 2021 at 11:13 PM
This message has been deleted by DragonSaint.
Test Subject
#61 Old 11th Nov 2021 at 11:49 PM Last edited by Tasmit : 12th Nov 2021 at 8:03 AM.
Hi!
I absolutely love the idea of that mod, but I have a problem.
I have an in-game-born toddler (not pre-created via CAS). After her birthday (to toddler age) she gets the Bad skills for all 4 traits. She also had the "Very Good at Imagination Skill" (at the same time as "Bad at Imagination Skill") and "Extremely Good at Thinking Skill" (at the same time as "Bad at Thinking Skill"). I had a lot of mods, including UI Cheats Extension by weerbesu, and I thought it's a bug, so I deleted some of the "Bad" skills (just wanted to remain some of them for my game, so I deleted the ones which had good versions too). In a moment, all "bad" skills were added back. I deleted all of them - they returned back. I deleted all of them via your mod's menu - only "good" skills were deleted, "bad" skills remained. I deleted them via UI Cheats, added back the "good" skills - bad skills were returned back. Deleted all skills, returned good skills + switched off skills controlling - bad skills weren't returned back. But I wasn't sure, that manually added skills would have some impact on my gameplay without skills controlling + I thought it was some conflict with one of my other mods. So, I tried to find the reason: I had the toddler with "good" skills, I was just loading that save with opening this toddler's skills in pause and then switching off the pause. I cleared cache (2 folders + 2 packages) before each check and I deleted mods (one group after another), trying to find the mod without which bad skills wouldn't return. And I didn't manage to do that: only your mod + XmlInjector_Script_v4.ts4script remained in the folder, but bad skills still added back. I tried to do the same process, but deleting all mod's addons - it didn't help.
So, I don't know the actual reason, but there is some problem with automatically added skills for toddlers even if I have completely NO mods except this one + XMLInjector for the menu.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#62 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 5:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmit
Hi!
I absolutely love the idea of that mod, but I have a problem.
I have an in-game-born toddler (not pre-created via CAS). After her birthday (to toddler age) she gets the Bad skills for all 4 traits. She also had the "Very Good at Imagination Skill" (at the same time as "Bad at Imagination Skill") and "Extremely Good at Thinking Skill" (at the same time as "Bad at Thinking Skill"). I had a lot of mods, including UI Cheats Extension by weerbesu, and I thought it's a bug, so I deleted some of the "Bad" skills (just wanted to remain some of them for my game, so I deleted the ones which had good versions too). In a moment, all "bad" skills were added back. I deleted all of them - they returned back. I deleted all of them via your mod's menu - only "good" skills were deleted, "bad" skills remained. I deleted them via UI Cheats, added back the "good" skills - bad skills were returned back. Deleted all skills, returned good skills + switched off skills controlling - bad skills weren't returned back. But I wasn't sure, that manually added skills would have some impact on my gameplay without skills controlling + I thought it was some conflict with one of my other mods. So, I tried to find the reason: I had the toddler with "good" skills, I was just loading that save with opening this toddler's skills in pause and then switching off the pause. I cleared cache (2 folders + 2 packages) before each check and I deleted mods (one group after another), trying to find the mod without which bad skills wouldn't return. And I didn't manage to do that: only your mod + XmlInjector_Script_v4.ts4script remained in the folder, but bad skills still added back. I tried to do the same process, but deleting all mod's addons - it didn't help.
So, I don't know the actual reason, but there is some problem with automatically added skills for toddlers even if I have completely NO mods except this one + XMLInjector for the menu.

I'm trying to reproduce your problem without success.
Are you using the latest version of my mod (1.03 - released this month) and the latest version of the XMLInjector (released at 11 December 2020)?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#63 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 6:09 PM
Yes, I downloaded your mod two days ago. And XMLInjector - 12th of December 2020
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#64 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 6:29 PM Last edited by FDSims4Mods : 12th Nov 2021 at 7:51 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmit
Yes, I downloaded your mod two days ago. And XMLInjector - 12th of December 2020

Do you have the Better Exceptions Mod?
Could you send its patch compatibility report to me?
Test Subject
#65 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 7:02 PM Last edited by Tasmit : 12th Nov 2021 at 7:20 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDSims4Mods
Do you have the Better Exceptions Mod?
Could you send its patch compatibility report to me?
Are you using the mod in its English version or in another language?
The behavior you described for the "Bad at Imagination Skill" is the behavior expected for the "Insufficient Imagination Skill".
If you are using a translated version, both traits can be with the same name in this version.

Report attached (your mode + XMLInjestor + BetterExceptions)
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip BE-PatchScannerReport.zip (71.2 KB, 1 downloads)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#66 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 7:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmit
Report attached (your mode + XMLInjestor + BetterExceptions)

It didn't come.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#67 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 7:12 PM
Hm, I wasn't saved with my post. Trying to upload it again (BE-PatchScannerReport.zip: Error 102 Unable to determine game type!)
Test Subject
#68 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 7:18 PM
I managed to upload it (had to add a screenshot just to have a little bit bigger archive). And, I redownloaded your mod and XMLInjector - it didn't help.
Lab Assistant
DELETED POST
Original Poster
12th Nov 2021 at 7:19 PM
This message has been deleted by FDSims4Mods.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#69 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 7:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmit
I managed to upload it (had to add a screenshot just to have a little bit bigger archive). And, I redownloaded your mod and XMLInjector - it didn't help.

I'm sorry.
I also need the report generated when you Trigger an Example Exception.
Could you send it to me?
Test Subject
#70 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 7:32 PM
It has no report. Better Exceptions doesn't generate anything, cause there are no exceptions. Just automatically added undeleted (cause they will return anyways) bad traits.
They don't even count as already existing for your mod. F.e. if I added extremely good at thinking, and after that - added f.e. good at thinking: trait for thinking would be replaced (extremely good would be deleted, good would be added). For these bugged bad traits this mechanism doesn't work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#71 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 7:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmit
It has no report. Better Exceptions doesn't generate anything, cause there are no exceptions. Just automatically added undeleted (cause they will return anyways) bad traits.
They don't even count as already existing for your mod. F.e. if I added extremely good at thinking, and after that - added f.e. good at thinking: trait for thinking would be replaced (extremely good would be deleted, good would be added). For these bugged bad traits this mechanism doesn't work.

You can generate the "Example Exception" I asked you by going in the Better Exception Menu (see the picture 1) and after clicking in the "Trigger Example Exception" (see picture 2).
Screenshots
Test Subject
#72 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 7:54 PM
I sent you a link in private message.
I also created a new save with a new family: one toddler, one kid. Both of them have these bad traits (btw, they have a little bit different icons).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#73 Old 12th Nov 2021 at 8:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmit
I sent you a link in private message.
I also created a new save with a new family: one toddler, one kid. Both of them have these bad traits (btw, they have a little bit different icons).

There is a problem with the translation you are using.
As you can see in the attached figure there are the "Bad at X Skill" trait and the "Insufficient X Skill" trait.
The first (the bad one) tells you that your sim will learn the X skill slowly than others. It is a “talent trait”.
The second (the insufficient) one tells you that your sims don’t have a higher level of the X skill, which will affect how good or bad they will be in following life stage skills linked to the X skill. It is a “monitoring trait”.
The talent traits (Extremely Bad, Very Bad, Bad, Good, Very Good, or Extremely Good) have an up or down arrow on their icon.
The monitoring traits (called Insufficient, Adequate, or Superior) have a bronze, silver, or gold trophy in their icon.
A monitoring trait of an skill should disappear only if you disable the monitoring for that skill.
Due to some problem in the translation you are using (!FD_GiveSimsSomeTalent_BaseGame_RUS_Sofia_Di.package), the “Insufficient trait” name appears as “Bad” for you.
Screenshots
Page 3 of 4