MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Downtown build/buy mode enabler

by cathair2005 Posted 19th Feb 2006 at 2:30 PM - Updated 18th Nov 2006 at 2:00 PM by cathair2005
76 Comments / replies (Who?) - 23 Feedback Posts
I thought I would give this mod a go and it surprisingly works. It allows you to go into build/buy mode when downtown/community lot and stops it from being disabled when the car drives off - that way you get stuck behind the school bus you can rearrange. I'm looking for some testers to try it out for me.

Going into build mode - unlike the sims original - only allows you to buy community improvements with your own money and I doubt they stay there because the lot doesn't get saved...yet hehe. So you may ask "why would I want a hack like this?" Because you can access your inventory. I made - but didn't post - a hack that makes food placeable in your inventory so your sims can have a picnic; or perhaps add unfinished restaurant dishes to your inventory and eat them at home (haven't tried this). And if you're a thief, you can give the sims rogues a run for their money by stealing paintings for downtown and putting it into your inventory.

I'm not sure why it hasn't been done before which makes me think there's going to be a nasty surprise. I've tested it out on community and downtown lots - not uni lots yet - with ALL expansion packs installed and I haven't encountered any problems so far.

Please don't do anything silly like sell your car when downtown otherwise you might get stuck. Don't even try putting it in your inventory unless you're willing to exit without saving. I don't know what will happen but I do know that most of the objects can't be touched because they're in use.

Maybe I should make babies and toddlers addable to the inventory that way you can cart them downtown LOL. Just kiddin'

EDIT: This one only works for up to NL.

The update for all expansions up to pets can be found here:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=204467

You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

Sims 2
Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents Size Downloads Date
buybuildenabler.zip

Size: 719 Bytes · Downloads: 16,358 · 19th Feb 2006
719 Bytes 16,358 19th Feb 2006
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
Basic Download and Install Instructions:

1. Download: Click the download link to save the .rar or .zip file(s) to your computer.

2. Extract the zip, rar, or 7z file.

3. Place in Downloads Folder: Cut and paste the .package file(s) into your Downloads folder:
  • Origin (Ultimate Collection): Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Downloads\
  • Non-Origin, Windows Vista/7/8/10: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\
  • Non-Origin, Windows XP: Documents and Settings\(Current User Account)\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\
  • Mac: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads
  • Mac x64: /Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/Downloads
Need more information?
 
76 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 67 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Instructor
#26 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 10:19 PM
I finally got around to playing my game with this hack in it, and I don't know if it was conflicting with another hack or not, but this hack completely disabled the ctrl+shift+c cheat window in my game. It also changed the text that pops up when you mouse over a person or an item in CAS.

Like I said, this could just be some weird bug that occured because it conflicts with one of the many other hacks I have, but I thought I'd report it anyway.

Want more? Visit Digital Perversion
I'm not gonna do it, and you can't make me!
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 1st Mar 2006 at 12:09 AM
Thank you so much for this. It's really annoyed the hell out of me that you can't do this on Community Lots.

I've never understood WHY Maxis wrote the game that way.


Of course, if you have University, Boolprop Dormspecifictoolsdisabled false does allow you to buy and place on Comm Lots as well as Dorms(an FYI for those who may have been unaware of it), but it's nice to have a Hack that removes the hassle. And of course the Cheat only works once - ie. it works for the Lot on which you're simming at the time. Leave it and go elsewhere, and you've gotta enter the Cheat again.

So having a Mod that means Buy and Build are permanently enabled is really nice.

Quote:
Going into build mode - unlike the sims original - only allows you to buy community improvements with your own money and I doubt they stay there because the lot doesn't get saved...yet hehe.


I loooooooonggg for the day when we can save on Community Lots, I really do... almost as much as I long for new and interesting animations being brought in.

I soooooo hope that a Save on Comm Lots Hack(even if it disables "Exit To Neighboorhood" until you've gone home) turns up in the not-too-distant future.

Quote:
So you may ask "why would I want a hack like this?" Because you can access your inventory.


Exactly!!! :bandit: :nod: :nod: I'm sooo pleased someone out there did this.

Quote:
I made - but didn't post - a hack that makes food placeable in your inventory so your sims can have a picnic; or perhaps add unfinished restaurant dishes to your inventory and eat them at home (haven't tried this).


Oooooh, any chance you might share that with us? Picnics would be sooo cool. Shame our sims can't eat while sat in the "Hangout" position, cross-legged on the floor.


Quote:
I'm not sure why it hasn't been done before which makes me think there's going to be a nasty surprise. I've tested it out on community and downtown lots - not uni lots yet - with ALL expansion packs installed and I haven't encountered any problems so far.


IF your hack is simply Re-enabling the Dormspecifictools(which, as I say, is applicable to Comm Lots just as it is Dorms), then I don't envisage any problems. I know nothing about Maxis Code, but I do know that code enabling Buy/Build on Comm Lots exists, it's just... well, disabled unless and until one activates it with the cheat. So I'm guessing this should be ok.

Quote:
Please don't do anything silly like sell your car when downtown otherwise you might get stuck. Don't even try putting it in your inventory unless you're willing to exit without saving.


One could call for a taxi maybe? If so, it's a nice money earner for a sim who's hit on hard times and needs to raise some cash.

Quote:
Maybe I should make babies and toddlers addable to the inventory that way you can cart them downtown LOL. Just kiddin'


Actually it's a really nice idea. I think it'd be great if the parents of tiny youngsters could take their kids to the park or wherever.

Just a thought for you there.

But anyway, thanks so much for this. :wave:

Roll on the Save on Comm Lots Hack I say.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 4:47 PM
Anyone tried this with OFB yet?

'Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes....at least then he'll be a mile away and barefoot'
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 8:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveheart
Anyone tried this with OFB yet?



I am pretty sure it works, but I will test it again in a minute.
Space Pony
#30 Old 6th Mar 2006 at 10:24 PM
well im not sure, but i think it's with that mod, i cannot have access in a community lot with OFB, it takes an eternity to charge. Well i try again without that mod to see if it's that.

Is that working for someone else?
Test Subject
#31 Old 7th Mar 2006 at 4:04 AM Last edited by Mariam Samir : 8th Mar 2006 at 11:05 AM.
this hack is great i really miss it i hope it will find it's way back in my game.
i had a sim in a community lot and saved the game and quit then i put this hack in my game and i tried it and when i got into that lot there was no sim in it and the livemood was disabled, i freaked out i loved that sim so i quit the game without saving and removed the hack and got into the game again and thank god my sim was ok, and so i do not think this works with OFB but mayby this happend because my sim was saved on the lot before i put the hack in my game, but i dont know, someone else tried it in there game with OFB?

Game tip: inorder to delete an object that can't be deleted even with the ''move_objects on'' cheat like:''plates or homeworks..etc'' put it on a table then delete the table using ''move_objects on''.
Test Subject
#32 Old 8th Mar 2006 at 12:40 PM Last edited by Mariam Samir : 10th Mar 2006 at 6:00 PM.
i tried it again this time without any sim saved on community lot and it seems to work fine on regular community lots and business lots.and also i removed every other hack that i have and tried it, i'm pretty sure it works with no problems.

'''BUT TODAY I FOUND A BIG PROBLEM'''', it seems that if you've saved your game on a community lot one that u own ofcourse, and left your sim there and went to neighbourhood view, and then tried to enter that community lot inorder to play, you wont find your sim and the live mood will be disabled, so if you've this hack in your game you should remove it AS IT DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY.

hey Cathair2005 are you willing to update this very much needed hack??, just want u 2 know that if you r it would be the most wonderful thing ever, and it would mean alot to so many people here i'm sure, thank u.

Game tip: inorder to delete an object that can't be deleted even with the ''move_objects on'' cheat like:''plates or homeworks..etc'' put it on a table then delete the table using ''move_objects on''.
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#33 Old 11th Mar 2006 at 8:06 PM
Whatabout all community lots? I need it for them too!

Currently playing Sims 4 full collection. (and fixing my mods folder)
Banned
#34 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 3:45 AM
Im not sure if this hack is the problem, but...

I have one family at the moment of 2 adults and 2 children.

When either adult chooses 'Multiple Sims' to visit a community lot, only the children can use the taxi. This makes the children alone go to the lot, and they cannot use the phone properly to get home.

if a parent chooses just themselves, when they get there, they cannot use the phone properly. The taxi comes, they can get in(but only if instructed?), and they leave, but the game never leaves the lotitself. This fact is why I think it is this hack, seeing as it kind of treats the community lot as a home lot.

I'll remove it and find out.
Banned
#35 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 9:14 PM
I apologize, this seems to be merely a problem with the family itself. ^_^
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 5:19 AM
Mariam,

The same thing happened to me. My solution was to remove this hack, restart the game, and evict the Sim from her house in neighborhood view. I then moved her back into the same house and had her buy the same downtown lot (Red's Famous '50s Diner). When she went back to the lot, all her employees were still on staff, and she still had a level 8 business with lots of happy customers.

Unfortunately, the game now sometimes crashes when playing the diner. I'm still working through Numenor's suggested fixes for buggy lots.

Stephen
Test Subject
#37 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 5:34 PM
I had a problem with the community lot spinning when I had this mod installed, I removed the lot and the spinning stops.
I can only presume that it conflicts with another mod or dl that I have? I shall experiment further I guess as it seems to work well for others.
Test Subject
#38 Old 9th Apr 2006 at 8:13 AM
*fingers crossed*
Thus far I have had no issues using this mod with OFB. Of course I have never tried saving on an OFB lot anyway, as prior EP's had sorta trained me to go home before quiting the game because you couldnt save community lots. Oh well.... now I know not to try saving *chuckle* cuz I like the mod more!

For a good time call...er...click www.sims2workshop.com!
Test Subject
#39 Old 6th May 2006 at 8:50 AM
very very good! now i was able to finish my vampire nightclub, complete with coffins. usually they dont have beds avalible on community lots. thank you!
Test Subject
#40 Old 10th Jul 2006 at 1:28 AM
Thank you so much for making this! Now my artist sim can take her easel downtown and paint pictures.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 15th Aug 2006 at 6:52 AM
I have also experienced the conflict with OFB in that if I save an owned community lot with a sim still there then live mode is disabled when I return. This is with OFB Patch2 installed.

Prior to installing OFB this hack worked like a dream and I'm going to miss it. I'm guessing it could be tricky to update as OFB lets you access buy/build on comm lots your sim owns (but not other comm lots) so the code must have changed a fair bit.
Test Subject
#42 Old 15th Aug 2006 at 11:34 AM Last edited by Etalon Noir 666 : 15th Aug 2006 at 11:43 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathair2005
I thought I would give this mod a go and it surprisingly works. It allows you to go into build/buy mode when downtown/community lot and stops it from being disabled when the car drives off - that way you get stuck behind the school bus you can rearrange. I'm looking for some testers to try it out for me.

Going into build mode - unlike the sims original - only allows you to buy community improvements with your own money and I doubt they stay there because the lot doesn't get saved...yet hehe. So you may ask "why would I want a hack like this?" Because you can access your inventory. I made - but didn't post - a hack that makes food placeable in your inventory so your sims can have a picnic; or perhaps add unfinished restaurant dishes to your inventory and eat them at home (haven't tried this). And if you're a thief, you can give the sims rogues a run for their money by stealing paintings for downtown and putting it into your inventory.

I'm not sure why it hasn't been done before which makes me think there's going to be a nasty surprise. I've tested it out on community and downtown lots - not uni lots yet - with ALL expansion packs installed and I haven't encountered any problems so far.

Please don't do anything silly like sell your car when downtown otherwise you might get stuck. Don't even try putting it in your inventory unless you're willing to exit without saving. I don't know what will happen but I do know that most of the objects can't be touched because they're in use.

Maybe I should make babies and toddlers addable to the inventory that way you can cart them downtown LOL. Just kiddin'


YES THANK YOU! i have need one for so long perfect! will test for you. My computer is the only one in the world that does have sims on it but no intrenet. i have 2 use internet cafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellostranger
Thank you so much for making this! Now my artist sim can take her easel downtown and paint pictures.

what a fab idea, thanks.

Je am the Black etalon. I look for a White Mare. You the one saw?
Test Subject
#43 Old 15th Aug 2006 at 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellostranger
Thank you so much for making this! Now my artist sim can take her easel downtown and paint pictures.

what a fab idea, thanks.

Je am the Black etalon. I look for a White Mare. You the one saw?
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 24th Aug 2006 at 7:19 AM
Don't work. It makes it so you are stuck in buy mode and can't turn to live mode.
Scholar
#45 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 11:18 AM
Any chance of this to be OFB compatible, I missed this mod so much.
Field Researcher
DELETED POST
2nd Oct 2006 at 12:54 AM
This message has been deleted by TheSims2Fever198. Reason: Dubbel post, Sorry
Field Researcher
DELETED POST
2nd Oct 2006 at 12:55 AM
This message has been deleted by TheSims2Fever198. Reason: Dubbel post, Sorry
Field Researcher
#46 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 12:55 AM
Same for me,I whould love this mod but it conflects with OFB, Anyway I hope this gets fixed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#47 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 5:18 AM
I'm back after almost a year. So what has changed? I finally started playing the sims together with the pets and OFB and had no problems with this hack so far...but if you guys let me know what isn't (and what is) working, I"d be happy to try and make an update.

I just hope I remember how to hack I also understand that SimPE is changing in a big way for the pets version.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 7:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathair2005
I'm back after almost a year. So what has changed? I finally started playing the sims together with the pets and OFB and had no problems with this hack so far...but if you guys let me know what isn't (and what is) working, I"d be happy to try and make an update.

I just hope I remember how to hack I also understand that SimPE is changing in a big way for the pets version.


It's great to have you back, Cathair. And just in the nick of time! Love you work!

"If..." a TS2 epic about friendship, romance, break-ups, make-ups, misunderstandings, fights, quite a bit of silliness and a little bit of rock and roll."
Page 2 of 4