This download is a custom career. This means that you will need the NRaas Careers mod installed in order to use the download in your game.
Uh, oh, August is almost over...I suppose I should upload SOMETHING for the Space creator theme, shouldn't I?
This is a custom part-time job at the Stellar Observatory that is meant to be a companion to the full-time Astronomer career. The job is available in the future, just as the Astronomer career is. It uses similar metrics to the Astronomer Career: overall mood, Advanced Technology skill and, at the third level, Logic skill. It is intended primarily for teens, but, like the part-time jobs from the Base Game, all sims aged teen through elder are eligible.
This job can also transfer into the Astronomer career proper. To do so, simply join the Astronomer career while currently working as an Observatory Assistant. A sim at level two will transfer to level four of the Astronomer career, and a sim at level three will transfer to level six of the Astrophysics branch. These values are hard-coded into NRaas Careers and cannot be changed.
All tones used are taken from the Astronomer career, with the exception of the "Meet Coworkers" tone, which is from the Base Game. There is one custom tone, "Study Past Experiments," which appears at the third level and builds Logic.
Levels, Opportunities, and Rewards
Outfits from the Astronomer career are used for young adults through elders; however, custom outfits seen here using clothing from Into the Future are included for teens. There are no opportunities or events associated with this job.
At all levels, work is from 5 PM - 8 PM on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
1. Starship Refueler -- Â§20/hr
Refueling starships may seem like a boring job, but somebody has to do it, and, as the lowest Sim on the totem pole, that somebody happens to be you. Keep at it, though, and you may learn a thing or two about the stars from the space explorers passing through.
2. Planetarium Assistant -- Â§40/hr
Apparently, you know more about astronomy than any of the other part-time workers, so you've been assigned to a position at the planetarium. Make sure you know how to use the latest technology so you can run the gift shop and lead tours with ease!
At this level, sims can "Talk about the Cosmos" with other sims. This functions identically to the "Talk about the Cosmos" interaction from the Astronomer career, except it can be used by teens.
3. Research Assistant -- Â§60/hr
Congratulations! The resident astrophysicists have noticed your expansive knowledge of the stars, and have asked you to assist with some groundbreaking new projects! You may need to study a bit to understand what they're doing, but you can take pride in seeing the "et al." that is now listed on all the research papers.
At this level, sims can "Talk about Astrology Sign" with other sims. This functions identically to the "Talk about Astrology Sign" interaction from the Astronomer career, except it can be used by teens.
Tuning and Translations
Much of the job details can be changed through the text editor in S3PE or a similar package editing program if you know where to look. These values can be found in the "Gamefreak130.PTAstronomy.Careers" and "Gamefreak130.PTAstronomy.Tones" XML resources. Values for the custom social interactions provided can also be changed and are found in the "PTAstronomyInteractions_SocialData" XML resource.
Right click and edit the file. S3PE will open Notepad and display the contents so you can change it.
Once complete, close Notepad, and save the package.
Currently, only English is supported. Translations are very welcome and much appreciated; formatted string tables and unhashed keys have been provided in the package if you wish to help.
Compatibility and Uninstallation
Built, tested, and (mostly) working on game version 1.69. It may work on earlier versions, but it has not been tested; do so at your own risk.
The Into the Future expansion pack is required for this job to work properly. As with all custom careers, it also requires NRaas Careers in order to be properly loaded.
As this is a custom part-time job, conflicts with other mods should be next-to-nonexistent -- that is, unless some doppelganger is using my exact namespaces.
Uninstallation should not create a huge problem -- simply remove the mod from the packages folder. However, to avoid potential game problems, it is good practice to ensure no sims are employed as Observatory Assistants before removal. After removal or update of the mod, it is recommended that you delete the "ScriptCache.package" file from your Userdata folder.
Sims employed in a custom career will see an additional glitched interaction on the Stellar Observatory reading "Next Planetarium Show at [Time];" this is an issue with all custom careers, not just my own, so there does not seem to be an easy fix.
S3PE and Visual Studio 2017 for making modding stupidly easy
Armiel for her Builder's Island that makes testing quick and simple
Various modders and their scripting tutorials scattered throughout the Interwebs
Delphy for keeping this site up and running
My many test sims for putting up with my nonsense
And you, for checking out this mod!
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
1. Click the file listed on the Files tab to download the file to your computer.
2. Extract the zip, rar, or 7z file. Now you will have either a .package or a .sims3pack file.
For Package files:
1. Cut and paste the file into your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages folder. If you do not already have this folder, you should read the full guide to Package files first: Sims 3:Installing Package Fileswiki, so you can make sure your game is fully patched and you have the correct Resource.cfg file.
2. Run the game, and find your content where the creator said it would be (build mode, buy mode, Create-a-Sim, etc.).
For Sims3Pack files:
1. Cut and paste it into your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads folder. If you do not have this folder yet, it is recommended that you open the game and then close it again so that this folder will be automatically created. Then you can place the .sims3pack into your Downloads folder.
2. Load the game's Launcher, and click on the Downloads tab. Find the item in the list and tick the box beside it. Then press the Install button below the list.
3. Wait for the installer to load, and it will install the content to the game. You will get a message letting you know when it's done.
4. Run the game, and find your content where the creator said it would be (build mode, buy mode, Create-a-Sim, etc.).
Extracting from RAR, ZIP, or 7z: You will need a special program for this. For Windows, we recommend 7-Zip and for Mac OSX, we recommend Keka. Both are free and safe to use.