There are a number of mods on this page related to stairs.
Stair Straight Mod:
This mod allows multiple sims to use regular, straight stairs. In an unmodded game, only one sim can use one side of a regular staircase. Maxis attempted to make it so that sims would be able to wait in queue, but this only partially works if the sim is attempting to descend. Even then, if the sim attempts to ascend or descend while another sim is already using the stairs, the sim throws a route failure tantrum. This mod fixes all of these issues. However, there are a few things that had to be done in order to account for certain special features of regular staircases.
- Elders and adults walk at different speeds on regular staircases,
unlike other types of stairs
. This mod makes it so that if the staircase is already being used, then every new sim who starts using the stairs will ascend or descend at elder speed, because otherwise they walk through elders.
- If a sim is running, and if there is another sim using the staircase, the new sim will always walk, and will continue running, if need be, after they ascend or descend. Otherwise, sims would run through walking sims on the staircase.
This is a very important update that adds new features and checks. Also, I realized that sims do walk at different speeds on all types of stairs depending on age, not just on regular staircases, which causes non-elders to sometimes go through elders on spiral stairs from Apartment Life. It looks like Maxis copied the code from regular stairs into spiral stairs, and didn't bother adding any checks. This mod currently only affects regular stairs. I may make a new mod to fix the spiral stairs from Apartment Life in the future, but I think it is not a priority.
- When a sim is trying to use the stairs, if all the other sims on the stairs are running, then the game will allow the new sim to run, too.
- When a sim is trying to use the stairs, if an elder sim is already using the stairs, if neither the new sim nor the elder is running, or if both the new sim and the elder are running, then the game will make the new sim use the stairs at elder speed.
- Here is the most important new feature: if after using the stairs, multiple sims end up on one single tile (mostly happens if you order them to the top or bottom tile of the stairs when free will is off), then the game will now try to find a suitable spot for the sims nearby and set their location there, just like it does with spiral stairs. Otherwise, it was possible for sims to end up stuck and unable to route.
Fixed an oversight from the previous update. I have also released an edited version of Marvine's Ladder that prevents sims from going through each other with this mod. Sims who are trying to go in the opposite direction will wait for others to finish using the ladder just like Maxis' spiral stairs from Apartment Life. Pets cannot use this version, because they don't have any animations. You need Stair Straight Mod in order to use this edited version of the ladder.
If you have Marvine's Ladder
, then sims will ascend and descend through each other if the sims are going in opposite directions. Normally, one would only allow a sim to use that ladder if all other sims are also going in the same direction as the sim who is considering to use the ladder, just like Maxis' spiral stairs from Apartment Life. However, the ladder is cloned from regular stairs and it doesn't have this feature. The ladder would have to be modified quite a bit to add this functionality. So, sims going in opposite directions will go through each other on the ladder if you have this mod and the ladder at the same time. Edit:
I have now released an edited version of Marvine's Ladder that prevents sims from going through each other with this mod. Sims who are trying to go in the opposite direction will wait for others to finish using the ladder just like Maxis' spiral stairs from Apartment Life. Pets cannot use this version, because they don't have any animations. You need Stair Straight Mod in order to use this edited version of the ladder.
You need the latest version of 7zip
to get this mod.
Probably Pets or later, but I can only guarantee the mod will work properly if you have Apartment Life and/or M&G.
Anim - Play/0x7F0C60C8/0x00002014
Function - Allow Intersection?/0x7F0C60C8/0x00002028
Portal - Do/0x7F0C60C8/0x00002019
Portal - TEST/0x7F0C60C8/0x00002003