MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Lyralei's Sewables: Skirt and Long sleeve

by Lyralei Posted 15th Apr 2021 at 4:55 AM - Updated 14th Apr 2021 at 12:09 AM by Lyralei : Adding Morph info
17 Comments / replies (Who?) - 9 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Heya, everyone!

A long waited feature obviously needs some content to work with!  Therefore I bring you two items to sew for toddlers through elders! :D

As a person who participates in the 'arts of sewing' myself recently, I've come across the fact that a lot of beginners (or even advanced beginners) happen to make a lot of fluffy circle skirts (whether that's a 1/2 circle, 2/4 circle or a full circle doesn't matter) skirts are just THE thing to work on! (because they're awesome and fluffy!  Can confirm as someone who owns a few hand-made skirts herself )

But not only skirts happen to be a starter project, it's shirts (as in, regular t-shirts or long sleeves) or leggings that most people tend to start on. But leggings just felt a little boring, so I went with a long-sleeve shirt that works perfectly well with this skirt! (I practically made my favourite IRL everyday outfit here lol, a long fluffy skirt and a longsleeve to keep me warm!)

What does 'Compatible with the sewing table' mean?
This means, with the new sewing table update (1.0.7 or later) you can now craft your own clothing and gift them!

But, to keep it to these two items, basically, if you have the 'SewingTableEnabled' package in your game, the items WILL NOT show up in CAS. They're hidden, just like Career items. You can unlock them by sewing them through the sewing table. (See for more information: https://modthesims.info/d/643837/ts...eta-v1-0-6.html)

If you really don't want this however, and just want to freely be able to wear them without any sewing, then make sure to NOT download the additional 'SewingTableEnabled' package!!!

Information Long-sleeve:
AGES:
  • Toddler
  • Child
  • Teen
  • Young adult
  • Adult
  • Elder
Gender:
For all ages, female only.

Catalogue:
(For all ages):
  • Everyday
  • Formal
  • Athletics
  • Sleepwear
  • (If you own the Sewing table enabled package) - Hidden In Cas
Morphs:
  • All of them have morphs going from thin to fat (and athletic). No maternity morphs!
Polycount:
Toddler:
 LOD0: 2258
 LOD1: 1110
 LOD2: 469

Child: 
 LOD0: 2358
 LOD1: 1160
 LOD2: 490

Teen: 
 LOD0: 2950
 LOD1: 997
 LOD2: 458

(Young) Adult
 LOD0: 2844
 LOD1: 1405
 LOD2: 606

Elder:
 LOD0: 2950
 LOD1: 997
 LOD2: 458

PRESETS & CHANNELS:
Presets: For each age: 3
Channels: For each age: 1

Information Skirt:
AGES:
  • Toddler
  • Child
  • Teen
  • Young adult
  • Adult
  • Elder
Gender:
For all ages, female only.

Catalogue:
(For all ages):
  • Everyday
  • Formal
  • (If you own the Sewing table enabled package) - Hidden In Cas
Morphs:
  • All of them have morphs going from thin to fat (and athletic). No maternity morphs!
Polycount:
Because I converted the mesh and didn't change any vertices, everything is the same for each Age:
ALL AGES:
 LOD0: 1950
 LOD1: 1105
 LOD2: 384

PRESETS & CHANNELS:
Presets: For each age: 3
Channels: For each age: 2

Glitches and Errors
Just like our sewing projects, this also comes with some slight issues
  • The skirts aren't really great with meshes that aren't 'tucked in'. This was one of the reasons I made the long sleeves . For toddlers this seems to work a bit better, but overall, make sure to go with skin-tight shirts!
  • Children's long sleeves seem to have this odd glow-y line. I've tried editing that (as usually, it's a normal map issue) but that doesn't seem to remove it... If anyone has any idea how to fix this, then i'd love to hear it!
CREDITS:
Feedback from the MTS discord! (You know who you are  and you're all equally amazing!) S3OC Blender 2.82
Photoshop - (even though that really was only used for making the spec, channels and normals) CTU - (I know, seeing those together with TSRW is very rare :P)
TSRW
Visual Studio Code - for the XML editing S3PE & The sewing table for sacrificing and exploding on the many tests I did on it to get this to work.

You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

Sims 3
Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents Size Downloads Date
Lyralei_SewableTightSleeves.zip | Long sleeves ages Toddler to Elder

Size: 2.23 MB · Downloads: 1,236 · 15th Apr 2021
2.23 MB 1,236 15th Apr 2021
Lyralei_SewableSkirts.zip | Skirts ages Toddler to Elder

Size: 1.66 MB · Downloads: 1,243 · 15th Apr 2021
1.66 MB 1,243 15th Apr 2021
Lyralei_SewablesSewingTableEnabled.zip | ONLY DOWNLOAD THIS IF YOU WANT TO HIDE THEM IN GAME AND WANT THEM TO BE SEWING TABLE COMPATIBLE!!

Size: 34.1 KB · Downloads: 605 · 15th Apr 2021
34.1 KB 605 15th Apr 2021
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
Quick Guide:

1. Click the file listed on the Files tab to download the file to your computer.
2. Extract the zip, rar, or 7z file. Now you will have either a .package or a .sims3pack file.

For Package files:

1. Cut and paste the file into your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages folder. If you do not already have this folder, you should read the full guide to Package files first: Sims 3:Installing Package Fileswiki, so you can make sure your game is fully patched and you have the correct Resource.cfg file.
2. Run the game, and find your content where the creator said it would be (build mode, buy mode, Create-a-Sim, etc.).

For Sims3Pack files:

1. Cut and paste it into your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads folder. If you do not have this folder yet, it is recommended that you open the game and then close it again so that this folder will be automatically created. Then you can place the .sims3pack into your Downloads folder.
2. Load the game's Launcher, and click on the Downloads tab. Find the item in the list and tick the box beside it. Then press the Install button below the list.
3. Wait for the installer to load, and it will install the content to the game. You will get a message letting you know when it's done.
4. Run the game, and find your content where the creator said it would be (build mode, buy mode, Create-a-Sim, etc.).


Extracting from RAR, ZIP, or 7z: You will need a special program for this. For Windows, we recommend 7-Zip and for Mac OSX, we recommend Keka. Both are free and safe to use.


Need more help?

If you need more info, see:
 
17 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 8 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 10:22 AM
OOH! Hopefully some creators can convert some of their clothes to this cause I can only imagine how good this will be once more people do it. Also keep up the good work I really like the skirt.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 11:42 AM
Thanks for creating this and the sewing table! I love what you have done with these two things. Keep up the good work!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 2:10 PM
Looks absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#5 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 2:42 PM
Looks awesome. I like bell shaped skirt and log sleeved! I'd like children's a little bit shorter to make little princess more "Audrey" look. Would you like to add shorter version with next sewing kit?
Regards Vic ^_^
Inventor
THANKS POST
#6 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 3:06 PM
Fantastic! Thank you I'll definitely use this with your sewing machine
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 3:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_tor
Looks awesome. I like bell shaped skirt and log sleeved! I'd like children's a little bit shorter to make little princess more "Audrey" look. Would you like to add shorter version with next sewing kit?
Regards Vic ^_^
Well I need to fix some of the clipping so I can always look into that too!  It was indeed my idea to add different lengths of it, but I was converting so many meshes as that time, I figured i'd do it later as an update or whatever :p

Glad you like it though!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 3:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda2002
OOH! Hopefully some creators can convert some of their clothes to this cause I can only imagine how good this will be once more people do it. Also keep up the good work I really like the skirt.
That's the idea! :p But indeed that would depend on if people actually want to do this. I'm currently working on a tool to make it easier for other (even non-creators) to create downloaded content as a 'sewable'. So hopefully that will help people as well!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#9 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 8:40 PM
Brillant idea many thanks.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#10 Old 15th Apr 2021 at 9:39 PM
It looks so good thank you!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#11 Old 19th Apr 2021 at 6:08 AM
Love this- so excited to see the new update on the mod, hopefully I can get it all figured out this time. I'd love to see something like afghans in the future, or edits of existing items with patches over them as a 'repair' option. (but there's already so much here!) Really grateful you are making this project ongoing!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 26th Apr 2021 at 2:44 PM
I love your Sewing Table and Sewables, and inspired by your example, I have been trying to make Sewables of my own. I made them following your directions on your Tumblr. However, since I made my Sewables and put them in my Sims 3 game, I have been getting an error message when I open a save-game in it.

What does this mean? And how can I fix this?

I have a screenshot of the error message I can share with you. I can also share my Sewables if you would like so you can look at them and see what I did wrong in the code to cause this message to appear.

Thanks for all the things you do for the Sims 3 community!
Screenshots
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Apr 2021 at 2:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalenepoet
I love your Sewing Table and Sewables, and inspired by your example, I have been trying to make Sewables of my own. I made them following your directions on your Tumblr. However, since I made my Sewables and put them in my Sims 3 game, I have been getting an error message when I open a save-game in it.

What does this mean? And how can I fix this?

I have a screenshot of the error message I can share with you. I can also share my Sewables if you would like so you can look at them and see what I did wrong in the code to cause this message to appear.

Thanks for all the things you do for the Sims 3 community!
@magdalenepoet Awesome to hear you're making your own sewable! :D Usually, when this happens, you might have forgotten the ---- at the top of your XML file. I noticed tumblr tends to combine those dashes together, so make sure to double check this! but could you share your package? (both with the settings and the actual caspart package preferably, unless you merged both together of course) That way I can check what's going on for you and see if you made a slight mistake

But, first, make sure to check the following:

1. First, check if your XML looks like this:
Quote:
----
0x034AEECB-0x00000000-0x66FD9ACE77C4E50A

Cotton, Knitted
isMagicProject=False
isDiscoverableOnly=False

amountOfFabricToRemove=2

isClothing=True

ClothingName=YOURCLOTHING
From the error however, I think the issue might be that you didn't quite did the part right where you create the XML resource in S3PE:

7. In the popup write the following:
TYPE, fill in: _XML 0x0333406C
GROUP, fill in : 0x7354C1FC
INSTANCE, Fill in the instance of your CASP resource.

Here’s an example if you’re unsure where to find it:
If my CASP were to be: 0x034AEECB-0x00000000-0x1289EDD7532CA188

Then, 0x1289EDD7532CA188 is the instance ID!

Hope this helps a little! 
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 27th Apr 2021 at 4:37 PM
Hi Lyralei. Thanks for your reply and for the explanation! The explanation helps. :D

I will share my sewables with you as part of this reply so you can see where I went wrong with making them. They are three packages, two of them recolors of EA's adult female flared jeans and adult female V-neck sweater, and the third one is the sewable for both of them (they were originally two packages, but I combined them thinking the problem would stop if I did, and it did not). They are in a 7-Zip file (I just want to let you know about that in case you do not have 7-Zip).

The zip file is attached to this reply.

Keep up the good work on the Sewing Table and the sewables! Your work on these and your other Sims 3 creations is very much loved and appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyralei
@magdalenepoet Awesome to hear you're making your own sewable! :D Usually, when this happens, you might have forgotten the ---- at the top of your XML file. I noticed tumblr tends to combine those dashes together, so make sure to double check this! but could you share your package? (both with the settings and the actual caspart package preferably, unless you merged both together of course) That way I can check what's going on for you and see if you made a slight mistake

But, first, make sure to check the following:

1. First, check if your XML looks like this:
From the error however, I think the issue might be that you didn't quite did the part right where you create the XML resource in S3PE:

7. In the popup write the following:
TYPE, fill in: _XML 0x0333406C
GROUP, fill in : 0x7354C1FC
INSTANCE, Fill in the instance of your CASP resource.

Here’s an example if you’re unsure where to find it:
If my CASP were to be: 0x034AEECB-0x00000000-0x1289EDD7532CA188

Then, 0x1289EDD7532CA188 is the instance ID!

Hope this helps a little! 
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: 7z magdalenepoet_My Sewables.7z (341.5 KB, 5 downloads)
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#15 Old 1st May 2021 at 9:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalenepoet
Hi Lyralei. Thanks for your reply and for the explanation! The explanation helps. :D

I will share my sewables with you as part of this reply so you can see where I went wrong with making them. They are three packages, two of them recolors of EA's adult female flared jeans and adult female V-neck sweater, and the third one is the sewable for both of them (they were originally two packages, but I combined them thinking the problem would stop if I did, and it did not). They are in a 7-Zip file (I just want to let you know about that in case you do not have 7-Zip).

The zip file is attached to this reply.

Keep up the good work on the Sewing Table and the sewables! Your work on these and your other Sims 3 creations is very much loved and appreciated!
Heya! sorry for the late response @magdalenepoet !

Inside the sewables compatible package, I noticed that the XML files don't start with a ---- . Whihc means that the code never knows what to do  I added the fixed package to my reply!
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip magdalenepoet_SewablesLyraleisSewingTableCompatible.zip (5.9 KB, 4 downloads)
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 2nd May 2021 at 12:21 AM
It's okay, Lyralei!

Thanks for looking at my sewables compatible package. :D

Note: What do I need to do prevent the error I had from occurring again when I make sewables?

Have a great weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyralei
Heya! sorry for the late response @magdalenepoet !

Inside the sewables compatible package, I noticed that the XML files don't start with a ---- . Whihc means that the code never knows what to do  I added the fixed package to my reply!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#17 Old 4th May 2021 at 1:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalenepoet
It's okay, Lyralei!

Thanks for looking at my sewables compatible package. :D

Note: What do I need to do prevent the error I had from occurring again when I make sewables?

Have a great weekend!
Heya @magdalenepoet !

It seemed that you forgot the ---- at the top of the file  your first line was the resourcekey, rather than the 4 dashes (----). If the script can't find those then it won't recognise it as a valid file
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 4th May 2021 at 4:39 PM
Hi @Lyralei!

I noticed that I had forgotten the ---- when I examined the originals of the sewables file I sent you, and I was able to fix it. I put the files and the original clothing files the sewables reference into my Packages folder, have ran the game, and they are working fine now.

Thanks for all of your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyralei
Heya @magdalenepoet !

It seemed that you forgot the ---- at the top of the file  your first line was the resourcekey, rather than the 4 dashes (----). If the script can't find those then it won't recognise it as a valid file