MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sim State - The Sims 3 Open For Business Mini Expansion v1.4

by Sim State & Co Posted 4th Jun 2021 at 11:40 AM - Updated Today at 2:02 PM by Lyralei
169 Comments / replies (Who?) - 17 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
This is a featured upload! It showcases the best talent and creativity available on MTS and in the community.
Welcome to Sim State! A new mini expansion focused on adding ownable stores to the game in an open ended format. Create a store, hire employees, set objects for sale (without rugs!), restock objects, earn XP on sales to increase your rank and more! Check it out below!

DISCLAIMER: The mod has been thoroughly tested by myself and other simmers but due to the nature of public release I cannot guarantee you won't run into a new one! As a rule make backups to keep your saves safe, but you can shutdown a business by purchasing a computer and using the 'Manage Business' option on the lot, this should fix any Sim State specific issues for a buggy lot. Thanks!

LAUNCH TRAILER



UPDATES
(last updated by Lyralei)

V1.4
- Added extra checks when calling in the employees and making sure it's less likely to throw a script error. Instead, it will let you know what went wrong and a few tips on how to fix it!
- Optimised the event calls, (Things like 20 min checking whether your employees are working, when they should come to the store, etc) . If you experienced any lagging with this mod, then this should help!
- Fixed a bug where the advertisement days got substracted by the hour, rather than per day.
- Added German localization (Thanks to Simmortality!)

v1.3
-Power Surge lighting cut should only affect normal household lights not 'invisible lighting'.
-Hiring an employee already on the business lot should now correctly add the new 'Manage Employee...' interactions.
-Rank 5 $10000 payout should now actually happen...
-Added SuperRestocking business reward! Restock up to 10 objects in your store!
-A few grammatical localisation improvements!
-Added advertising! Choose between online and TV based adverts with unique advantages to your store including increased customers, XP, customer satisfaction & random sponsers!
-Uploaded vanilla UI version for those who prefer to use the default notification system!
-Vacation travelling should no longer cause errors/affect the mod.
-Service NPC's, pets, active household members and servos should not get asked to leave at closing time.
-Changed startup business account balance back to $0! A few people didn't like the fee going into your business funds as it made setting up a business a bit too easy
-A tweak to ensure all employees have the manage employee options if on the lot!

v1.2 
-Employees should now stay on the lot after they are called in & enter residential lots again!
-Customer limits have been increased slightly.
-Objects should now be sent to the correct inventories (most of the time...).
-Restocking now only works for large objects, sim inventory objects now require manual restocking. (Food, Books etc, just the way the mod handles buy mode objects vs smaller objects like gems, metals etc)
-You must now have enough money to restock!
-Your store will be closed if your business balance drops below 0!
-Business rank XP rates have been raised! (People were reaching Rank level 5 too quickly!)
-New business reward - $5000 grant
-Business rewards go towards business funds not family funds now.
-The business startup fee now goes into the business account funds when you create your store.
-Fixed security system bug.
-Insurance payouts now actually happen! The rate is 50% of the stolen object, but you require the security system to use it.
-Business rank level 5 stores will no longer have customers complain about high prices, although they won't pay above the 25% mark up still  so you can't be greedy! :p
-Rank level 5 stores also get a $10000 grant and a 3% boost to all future profits.
-At rank level 5 customers may also randomly comment on your stores greatness!
-Increased chance of customer purchasing objects!

More updates incoming but hopefully this'll fix a few of the employee issues and incorrect inventory objects bugs. As always please backup your game before trying new versions. Thanks! SSD

v1.1 - Active household members and employees should no longer autonomously purchase store objects!

FEATURES

-Ownable Stores

Create and run stores across town, you can open a maximum of one business per lot, but there are no limits on the amount of stores you can run! Pay the $1000 set up fee and start today!

Note: In order to open the store, you have to have some money put into the company account. To do this, click on any computer > Manage business > Deposit

-Hire & Manage Employees

Use the scripted OFB register to manage your store and hire/fire employees! Call them into work and assign them roles, you can even switch households and work at a store run by another sim, create managers and complex economy systems around your town! Running an upmarket boutique? Customise your employee uniforms to match the style.

-XP & Ranks

Stores level up in rank similar to resorts. Using a custom UI system you can earn up to 5 stars which allow for more employees and higher prices! The ratio is 1:10 per Simolean earned!

-Customer Satisfaction Points

Inspired by a similar mechanic used in The Sims 2 your businesses earn points for each purchase. Use these points to purchase the $1000 cash reward or a security system!

-Super Restocking - V1.3

A new business reward perk for 25 Customer Satisfaction Points which will allow you to restock up to 10 objects all at once! (Its quite fun to watch too :p) Happy managing!

-Advertising - V1.3

Now you can set up advertising for your business! Adds an extra layer to your business empire by upping your customer base! Choose between online or televised each with unique perks including customer sponsors, additional XP and a bump in customer satisfaction points!

-Prestige (Rank 5) - V1.2/3

Congratulations you reached rank level 5! Now you get a $10000 business grant as a reward alongside other perks. Finally there is a random chance that your store will be showered with nice compliments from customers who recognise what an amazing store you're running!

-Petty Theft

Yup! Crime can be an issue for your stores, keep and eye out on sims eager for a freebie! If you see a notification popup and your stock diminishing you may be able to catch the thief quickly by clicking on them and using the 'Stop Thief' interaction; this will call the police and have them arrested! Purchase the security system to automatically call them and halt any negative impact on your Customer Satisfaction Points!

Keep an eye on those Kleptomaniacs and Evil sims... but anyone with the right motive could leave you missing a few items!

-Mystery Shoppers

Randomly sims that visit your store will have a chance of being a mystery shopper which will earn you a nice bonus of funds! Keep objects stocked up and prices fair to stand the best chance of high rewards. Can you get a perfect 100/100 score?

-Frugal Sims...

Not everyone will be happy with your inflated prices, keep some objects set to a low mark-up to ensure frugal sims don't complain!

-Power Surges

Randomly during thunderstorms your sims have a chance of experience a power cut! Don't worry though, the don't last long... usually!

-Custom UI's & New In game Lessons

A few visual improvements to the notification system give a fresh look to the game. You can also find 8 new lessons under the 'Sim State' heading!

(Choose WITH_UI for the new blue notifications or WITHOUT_UI for the default vanilla version!)

OPEN SOURCE CODE

File Finder (github.com)

Feel free to republish/fix bugs/add content/remove content or whatever you like! All I ask is that you refer back to the original mod as credit but I won't be doing anything about it if you don't either haha! Thanks for anyone interested in looking at how it works!

END NOTE

Well after months of work and the great sims community I am pleased to finally release the mod! As mentioned above it may have a few outstanding bugs but hopefully nothing too serious, let me know how you find it in the comments!

I would love to see what stores you run with Sim State so please post about the mod and your experiences on social media and YouTube!

A few special thanks go out to Battery, GameFreak, Lyralei and Zoeee for all their help getting this project to release and helping me understand the Sims 3 API and learn C#!

Finally I will be posting the source code and assets as open source in the near future, I am stepping back from active development myself but I know there's a selection of active simmers interested in supporting the mod into the future. I would appreciate credit for the original idea and version but if you wish to take the mod/update it or release it in an updated form elsewhere I would be interested to see where it goes!

Thank you to everyone who helped out and everyone who tries the mod, I really hope it adds something new and fun to The Sims 3 scene! I really believe that with the right motivation someone could create an entire new EP for TS3 it really is very moddable when you get stuck in!

Enjoy!

Regards,

Sim State Dude (& Co)

You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

Sims 3 Ambitions Seasons University Life
Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents Size Downloads Date
SimStateDudes_SimState_Release_V1.4_WITHOUT_UI.zip

Size: 1.92 MB · Downloads: 297 · Today
1.92 MB 297 Today
SimStateDudes_SimState_Release_V1.4_WITH_UI.zip

Size: 1.95 MB · Downloads: 505 · Today
1.95 MB 505 Today
SimStateDudes_SimState_Release_V1.2.zip

Size: 1.94 MB · Downloads: 783 · 9th Jun 2021
1.94 MB 783 9th Jun 2021
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
Basic Download and Install Instructions:

See: Game Help:TS3 CC Basicswiki for a full guide!
 
169 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 110 Feedback Posts, 55 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 7 of 7
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#151 Old 17th Jun 2021 at 9:57 PM
** Update **

Been playing that mod using Soocoolsim's Shopaholics Paradise lot and it's kind of the perfect place to actually run a business. I used Master Controller to make the mega mall my own place and running it myself. As a word of advice, it is not a good idea to hire anyone on that lot, as it is huge and it will negate the possibility of attracting any customers. However, this lot is so jampacked with numerous shops and up to seven floors, thus allowing you to fully customise what you want to sell and what you want to not sell. Because od this, you can reach Rank 5 fairly quickly and make a lot of money with that place.

This note is for testers and those who have taken over the mod. I have noticed a problem with advertising. The number of days left is quite buggy and not a hundred percent accurate. On the view business tab, the number of days left is not exact. As a result, you can get advertising bonuses even though the advertising period is over. This can be a little problematic.

Apart from that it works fairly well. Nothing else to add.

Enjoy.
Inventor
#152 Old 18th Jun 2021 at 9:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian
** Update **

Been playing that mod using Soocoolsim's Shopaholics Paradise lot and it's kind of the perfect place to actually run a business. I used Master Controller to make the mega mall my own place and running it myself. As a word of advice, it is not a good idea to hire anyone on that lot, as it is huge and it will negate the possibility of attracting any customers. However, this lot is so jampacked with numerous shops and up to seven floors, thus allowing you to fully customise what you want to sell and what you want to not sell. Because od this, you can reach Rank 5 fairly quickly and make a lot of money with that place.

This note is for testers and those who have taken over the mod. I have noticed a problem with advertising. The number of days left is quite buggy and not a hundred percent accurate. On the view business tab, the number of days left is not exact. As a result, you can get advertising bonuses even though the advertising period is over. This can be a little problematic.

Apart from that it works fairly well. Nothing else to add.

Enjoy.


I really hope whoever is taking over this mod sees this, the advertising is a clever (and integral) part of this mod!
Test Subject
#153 Old 18th Jun 2021 at 9:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree101
I really hope whoever is taking over this mod sees this, the advertising is a clever (and integral) part of this mod!


I agree. It helps a lot with making a profit and gaining satisfaction points faster.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#154 Old 18th Jun 2021 at 12:29 PM
** Update and Tip **

For those having a rather difficult time attracting a profitable amount of customers to your business, there is a easy way to fix this issue, if you use Nraas' Master Controller. Click onto your Sim or the lot you run your business, and select invite. A filter will appear, allowing you to choose which Sim to invite to your home business. Once you have selected which Sim/ Pet/Child or whomever you want to invite, they will all come, regardless of what other obligations they have, whether it is a job, school or opportunities. They are technically yanked to your business and forced a visit for the default sixty Sim minute time. This is a useful workaround.

Be that as it may, it is not advised to forced too many Sims to visit. Remember, unlike The Sims 2, your PC is running the entire town, not just your home lot. When you command an inactive family and push it for an action which is indirectly affiliated with the nornal usual running of how things are worked, your PC is going to process it. Inviting a number of over twenty five Sims means your PC will immediately use Master Controller to immediately spot the selected visitors to cancel their action, make them forget about their present time occupation, and trigger the 'go to invitation' action. The more inactive Sims forced into such a process, the more CPU and RAM power will be required to make it happen. The size and clutter of your home business will also be taken into consideration. If too many Sims are yanked there and thr bigger your lot is, the more chance your game will experience a crash to desktop. I suggest you use that command wisely and within the overall power capacity your PC is adorned with.

Nraas' mods are the best mods for this game, and, when used the right way, become those kinds of Mods you cannot live without. They are reliable and almost guaranteed to never fail.

Enjoy.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#155 Old 18th Jun 2021 at 3:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian
** Update **

Been playing that mod using Soocoolsim's Shopaholics Paradise lot and it's kind of the perfect place to actually run a business. I used Master Controller to make the mega mall my own place and running it myself. As a word of advice, it is not a good idea to hire anyone on that lot, as it is huge and it will negate the possibility of attracting any customers. However, this lot is so jampacked with numerous shops and up to seven floors, thus allowing you to fully customise what you want to sell and what you want to not sell. Because od this, you can reach Rank 5 fairly quickly and make a lot of money with that place.

This note is for testers and those who have taken over the mod. I have noticed a problem with advertising. The number of days left is quite buggy and not a hundred percent accurate. On the view business tab, the number of days left is not exact. As a result, you can get advertising bonuses even though the advertising period is over. This can be a little problematic.

Apart from that it works fairly well. Nothing else to add.

Enjoy.


Heya @Hadrian ! I'm the one who's taking over the mod and fixing any bugs necessary

But that indeed doesn't sound good because if the advertisement thingy is over, then it should be over I'll check it out!
Test Subject
#156 Old 18th Jun 2021 at 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyralei
Heya @Hadrian ! I'm the one who's taking over the mod and fixing any bugs necessary

But that indeed doesn't sound good because if the advertisement thingy is over, then it should be over I'll check it out!


Oh! Hey! Thank you so much for taking the torch!

We all cheer for you!
Inventor
#157 Old 18th Jun 2021 at 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyralei
Heya @Hadrian ! I'm the one who's taking over the mod and fixing any bugs necessary

But that indeed doesn't sound good because if the advertisement thingy is over, then it should be over I'll check it out!


Yay!
Inventor
#158 Old 18th Jun 2021 at 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian
** Update and Tip **

For those having a rather difficult time attracting a profitable amount of customers to your business, there is a easy way to fix this issue, if you use Nraas' Master Controller. Click onto your Sim or the lot you run your business, and select invite. A filter will appear, allowing you to choose which Sim to invite to your home business. Once you have selected which Sim/ Pet/Child or whomever you want to invite, they will all come, regardless of what other obligations they have, whether it is a job, school or opportunities. They are technically yanked to your business and forced a visit for the default sixty Sim minute time. This is a useful workaround.

Be that as it may, it is not advised to forced too many Sims to visit. Remember, unlike The Sims 2, your PC is running the entire town, not just your home lot. When you command an inactive family and push it for an action which is indirectly affiliated with the nornal usual running of how things are worked, your PC is going to process it. Inviting a number of over twenty five Sims means your PC will immediately use Master Controller to immediately spot the selected visitors to cancel their action, make them forget about their present time occupation, and trigger the 'go to invitation' action. The more inactive Sims forced into such a process, the more CPU and RAM power will be required to make it happen. The size and clutter of your home business will also be taken into consideration. If too many Sims are yanked there and thr bigger your lot is, the more chance your game will experience a crash to desktop. I suggest you use that command wisely and within the overall power capacity your PC is adorned with.

Nraas' mods are the best mods for this game, and, when used the right way, become those kinds of Mods you cannot live without. They are reliable and almost guaranteed to never fail.

Enjoy.


When I was testing this over at Discord, I used the MC>Invite on a residential business for about 8 sims. Over 50 sims turned up! I have a screenshot to prove it
Screenshots
Test Subject
#159 Old Yesterday at 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree101
When I was testing this over at Discord, I used the MC>Invite on a residential business for about 8 sims. Over 50 sims turned up! I have a screenshot to prove it


Good Heavens. This is intense! I never had that bug happening to me, thank goodness. Did you PC crash or something? That's a lot to handle.
Inventor
#160 Old Yesterday at 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian
Good Heavens. This is intense! I never had that bug happening to me, thank goodness. Did you PC crash or something? That's a lot to handle.


It was definetly a bug! Well, in my game at least, no one else reported it. I never even had over 15 sims in any of my clubs!
SSD said he added some check to make sure sims came to to the house, but it didn't work in my game, so I used MC>Invite and that's what happened.
No it didn't crash at all, I was shocked! It's a pretty good gaming PC, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to Sims 3 as we all know lol. I had more trouble trying to send them home actually (They didn't want to go!)
Test Subject
#161 Old Yesterday at 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree101
It was definetly a bug! Well, in my game at least, no one else reported it. I never even had over 15 sims in any of my clubs!
SSD said he added some check to make sure sims came to to the house, but it didn't work in my game, so I used MC>Invite and that's what happened.
No it didn't crash at all, I was shocked! It's a pretty good gaming PC, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to Sims 3 as we all know lol. I had more trouble trying to send them home actually (They didn't want to go!)


Ah yes. Several of the visitors will stay for ever if you don't force them to leave. I had that Madison VanVatson stay from Sunday to Friday. She managed on her own, sleeping in my own beds, eating from my own fridge, playing with my PC, and browsing. She bought so many things that week that she pratically was the one who made my sales go way up. Eventually I shooed her because she kept interfering my couple as they ttried for a baby. My woman had that embarassed moodlet. And everyone she did something, my Sims cancelled their current action to tell her to behave herself.
Test Subject
#162 Old Yesterday at 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian
Ah yes. Several of the visitors will stay for ever if you don't force them to leave. I had that Madison VanVatson stay from Sunday to Friday. She managed on her own, sleeping in my own beds, eating from my own fridge, playing with my PC, and browsing. She bought so many things that week that she pratically was the one who made my sales go way up. Eventually I shooed her because she kept interfering my couple as they ttried for a baby. My woman had that embarassed moodlet. And everyone she did something, my Sims cancelled their current action to tell her to behave herself.


Hah hmm if I remember correctly there are some exceptions if they are service Sims visiting etc but also if your on a community lot depending on the time visitors come either way unfortunate never did work out a way to ensure that doesn’t happen but most people should leave at least :P

Creating Sim State Expansion for The Sims 3. :)
Inventor
#163 Old Yesterday at 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian
Ah yes. Several of the visitors will stay for ever if you don't force them to leave. I had that Madison VanVatson stay from Sunday to Friday. She managed on her own, sleeping in my own beds, eating from my own fridge, playing with my PC, and browsing. She bought so many things that week that she pratically was the one who made my sales go way up. Eventually I shooed her because she kept interfering my couple as they ttried for a baby. My woman had that embarassed moodlet. And everyone she did something, my Sims cancelled their current action to tell her to behave herself.


I just deleted the the whole save game and started again :D
Lab Assistant
#164 Old Yesterday at 9:37 PM
Hey, thank you so much for this incredible mod! I've translated it to German to make it more accessible to my fellow German simmers. I used the WITH UI version for this, but I just assumed that the language strings would be the same anyway. Hope this helps!
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: 7z GER_SimStateDudes_SimState_Release_V1.3_WITH_UI.package.7z (1.91 MB, 2 downloads)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#165 Old Today at 2:53 AM
** Update **

In addition of using them as my service peons, I have managed to make plumbots perfect business employees. You put in a household of neutral bots with perfect quality and efficient trait chip someplace else, and hire them. As they are plumbots, they can't get a job, they won't interact that much and fool around. As a result, they will restock your shop like maniacs every single a sale is dealt. I tried to start a business with them and let the shop being run by them while I did whatever I wanted on my side. I reached Rank 5 within two Sim weeks, and sales have skyrocketed like mad. At Rank 5, visitors are numerous and constant. You make a stunning profit that way.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#166 Old Today at 1:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimStateDude
Hah hmm if I remember correctly there are some exceptions if they are service Sims visiting etc but also if your on a community lot depending on the time visitors come either way unfortunate never did work out a way to ensure that doesn’t happen but most people should leave at least :P


So what I've noticed with EA's GoToLot call, is that it's not super-duper 100% high priority. (aka, sim is on the toilet, and when the interaction is called, it won't fire for example :p)

Which has all to do with the interaction priority. Personally I haven't had issues with it either, but I do know that it can be the simplest things that put sims off from actually physically going there. Other times it's a routable sims that is stuck. Which are both things you can't exactly fix from a mod perspective unfortunately :/
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#167 Old Today at 2:01 PM
I meant to post the other comment as lyralei lol

Anyways! @Hadrian added a fix for the advertisement issue! it was actually really easy to fix (the days were substracted by the hour rather than days :p)

@AnaMariaApostol can you confirm for me if this fixes the script errors you got? It might give you a notification of what's wrong (For example, you hiring a sim that wasn't actually properly in the world yet)
Test Subject
#168 Old Today at 2:23 PM
Hey, this looks great! Is it possible to run a business as well as having a career??
Inventor
#169 Old Today at 2:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyralei
I meant to post the other comment as lyralei lol

Anyways! @Hadrian added a fix for the advertisement issue! it was actually really easy to fix (the days were substracted by the hour rather than days :p)

@AnaMariaApostol can you confirm for me if this fixes the script errors you got? It might give you a notification of what's wrong (For example, you hiring a sim that wasn't actually properly in the world yet)


Thanks for the update, lyralei! I've been posting each update on my Tumblr when they happen
Test Subject
#170 Old Today at 4:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyralei
I meant to post the other comment as lyralei lol

Anyways! @Hadrian added a fix for the advertisement issue! it was actually really easy to fix (the days were substracted by the hour rather than days :p)

@AnaMariaApostol can you confirm for me if this fixes the script errors you got? It might give you a notification of what's wrong (For example, you hiring a sim that wasn't actually properly in the world yet)


It's wonderful. Thank you so much for your work.
Page 7 of 7