MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Isometric camera to Sims 3

by boringbones Posted 15th Aug 2021 at 6:48 PM
17 Comments / replies (Who?) - 13 Feedback Posts, 4 Thanks Posts
I spent about a year and a half dreaming of the day that someone would make an isometric camera for The Sims 3. As no project started actually going forward, I took this torch and decided to do it myself. I am proud and happy to share this with you. I hope you enjoy and have fun with the mod.

This camera will provide a visual experience similar to what we had in The Sims 1.

Previously, zoom-out was restricted to not too far away, to prevent plants, trees, sims and objects from losing rendering quality. This has been improved, and we now have a larger zoom-out angle. Which allows even more beautiful photos and incredible quality

This was made possible by modifications to the Graphic Rules file, so be sure to back up your Graphic Rules to reuse it when not using the Isometric Camera mod.

Now we have two mod options for you to use. Version 500 and Version 1050. The only difference between the two is the field of view on the world map: Version 1050 displays more parts of the world, but with a counterpoint: Some cars and Sims may occasionally appear translucent, ie, almost invisible.

If that's not a problem for you, the look should be pretty close to what we had in Sim City 4. Really charming and nostalgic!

Installation is simple: Choose one camera mod version and place it in your Mods folder.

Next: for Graphic rules, back up your original version and replace it in the game directory. This version enables higher quality Lods at long range, which means it should be better suited to people who play at medium/high and very high settings. And probably present bugs for those who play in medium/low and very low. I wasn't too bold in modifying the lods, so as not to affect performance on modest computers.

Make sure you have the long-range display, texture quality and tree quality options, preferably at the highest values your game can handle. :D

Trailer:
This trailer was made with the first version of the mod. When I still hadn't discovered the improvements in Graphic Rules. Therefore it occasionally displays some slightly buggy plants. Which no longer appear that way in the current version of the mod.

You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

Sims 3
Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents Size Downloads Date
Isometriccam V2.0.rar

Size: 21.4 KB · Downloads: 1,041 · 15th Aug 2021
21.4 KB 1,041 15th Aug 2021
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
Basic Download and Install Instructions:

See: Game Help:TS3 CC Basicswiki for a full guide!
 
17 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 12 Feedback Posts, 4 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#2 Old 15th Aug 2021 at 7:25 PM
That's interesting, should help take before/after floorplan pictures much more easily. Thank you for creating this and sharing it with us!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#3 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 12:25 AM
Love that, thank you !
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 1:53 PM
Thank you guys! I'm glad you liked it!! I hope you make even more charming and beautiful captures in your games! I've been playing a lot with the camera and it's been a great experience, but any criticism or suggestion, I'm open to learn even more if we can improve the camera :D
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 2:06 PM
Is this compatible with any lighting mod and reshade? I use it both and I wanna try this mod to bring back nostalgic Sims 3 camera ^^
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 3:32 PM
What a great mod. I never grew up with The Sims 1 but this camera mod just brings back some nostalgia.

One little suggestion and implementation I would like to see, if you can do it, is to be able to toggle between this camera and the Sims 3 camera in-game without removing the mod for convenience.

Sims is a game I have cherished ever since I was young. Enjoy it, it's just a game!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 3:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afiz
Is this compatible with any lighting mod and reshade? I use it both and I wanna try this mod to bring back nostalgic Sims 3 camera ^^


Yes!! It is!! I use about 5 lighting mods combined, and ansel filters from Nvidia. So yes, it's compatible <3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 3:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanoM29
What a great mod. I never grew up with The Sims 1 but this camera mod just brings back some nostalgia.

One little suggestion and implementation I would like to see, if you can do it, is to be able to toggle between this camera and the Sims 3 camera in-game without removing the mod for convenience.


I thought about that! But unfortunately I don't have expertise in this :c It would be a great idea, I'll see what I can learn, because this is the first modification at the "mod" level I've done Haha
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 6:50 PM
Omg I Need This!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank U So Muchhhhhhhh Hun
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#10 Old 19th Aug 2021 at 8:11 PM
Thank you so much!!! can't wait to try this and feel the nostalgia ;D
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 19th Aug 2021 at 9:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boringbones
Yes!! It is!! I use about 5 lighting mods combined, and ansel filters from Nvidia. So yes, it's compatible <3


If you don't mind, could you share the names of the 5 lighting mods you use? Your game looks so bright and crisp. I'm in love. <3

Also, I love this idea! Very charming indeed. Thank you for sharing

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Aug 2021 at 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypuff121P
If you don't mind, could you share the names of the 5 lighting mods you use? Your game looks so bright and crisp. I'm in love. <3

Also, I love this idea! Very charming indeed. Thank you for sharing


Of course not... I can :D
I use all Simsi45 mods that improve indoor and outdoor lighting, and californa day lighting. But this creator's tumblr went down and I'm not sure if it's possible to find the mod elsewhere on the internet :c However, what makes my game clear and sharp are my modifications with the ansel filters. And I show everything about them in this video: https://youtu.be/o0idEeXY-Zc

It is in Portuguese, but you can follow it if you have a video card that supports this technology. I use Geforce experience to change these filters in-game. Hope this helps!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Aug 2021 at 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbunny56
Thank you so much!!! can't wait to try this and feel the nostalgia ;D

Hope you feel as great as I did the first time I finally got the camera settings right!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Aug 2021 at 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmervcs
Omg I Need This!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank U So Muchhhhhhhh Hun

You're welcome and Thank you!!
Forum Resident
#15 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 11:12 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 7th Oct 2021 at 9:01 PM.
This isn't isometric. just a locked camera. there is a difference. In order to be true isometric it needs to be orthographic (parallel lines always stay parallel, and physical deformation of shapes by the human eye countered. For example, trees shouldn't shift angle as the camera moves. They should always appear to be in the same space covering the exact same area behind it until the camera is rotated, regardless of how close or far from the camera they are.) Also, since you mentioned struggling to get the right angle, a 90 degree angle (like the corner of a wall or fence) on the top and bottom of the screen should appear to be 120 degrees, and a 90 degree angle to the left and right should appear to be 60 degrees. Look at the comparable Sims 2 and Sims 4 mods for examples.
Test Subject
#16 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 9:53 PM
This mod broke my game. When i loaded it up, the sims are missing from the UI, and the portraits of my sims on the side are missing and after a few seconds of playing the game crashes. I followed the instructions to the letter.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot999
This isn't isometric. just a locked camera. there is a difference. In order to be true isometric it needs to be orthographic (parallel lines always stay parallel, and physical deformation of shapes by the human eye countered. For example, trees shouldn't shift angle as the camera moves. They should always appear to be in the same space covering the exact same area behind it until the camera is rotated, regardless of how close or far from the camera they are.) Also, since you mentioned struggling to get the right angle, a 90 degree angle (like the corner of a wall or fence) on the top and bottom of the screen should appear to be 120 degrees, and a 90 degree angle to the left and right should appear to be 60 degrees. Look at the comparable Sims 2 and Sims 4 mods for examples.


Clearly you understand more about this than I do, so I appreciate your feedback. For obvious reasons the camera is blocked to make the experience similar to The Sims 1, and on the other hand, it's not completely spelling as it presents a problem (from my point of view) that makes it difficult to view the lot outside with all the walls raised. Below are some examples for comparison.

Current look
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...1131&height=636

Visual adjusted according to your feedback
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...1131&height=636

And below without the camera mod, since you stated that there is no spelling
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...1131&height=636

That is, the spelling is in the mod, in a very subtle way. Because if I applied it literally, it would be practically impossible to see any house from the front in a clear and nice way.

I'm completely open to sharing this version or improving it further, if you're interested in being a guinea pig and helping me make that possible, I wouldn't mind. On the contrary, I would be grateful for your contribution. Get in touch via message here for us to work on it :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennoxlovexx
This mod broke my game. When i loaded it up, the sims are missing from the UI, and the portraits of my sims on the side are missing and after a few seconds of playing the game crashes. I followed the instructions to the letter.


If you've backed up your graphic rules as suggested, this shouldn't be a problem. Just restore it. I configured the graphic rules to get the best look according to the settings you use in your game, this means that low settings have an equivalent look. Different if you have trees in high detail, sims in high detail and other settings at the most. I'm sorry you had a negative experience.