Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 5:01 AM Last edited by iloveariel : 8th Feb 2014 at 5:27 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game crashes when trying to put lot in house bin. {SOLVED}
Hey everyone, I've been having a serious problem for the last few days and cannot find a way to fix it.
I'm making a series and I have a neighborhood for it, but it became to full and laggy so I decided to move all of the lots(with main characters) into a completely new neighborhood. It was going smoothly for a while but then two houses would not go into the house bin and would just crash. One of the two lots that's doing this had an adult in a teen body (The cheat, I don't have InTeen) I moved that one sim out of the house, the others into a new house and it worked perfectly fine. The second house that's doing this had 6 sims, 1 being an adult in a teen body, I moved that one out just like the other but the lot still crashed. So then I made a new sim and placed it in the house, moving the rest out. And when I tried putting it in the bin it worked perfectly fine. But with the remaining 5 sims I moved them into an existing lot and tried to put it in the bin, but it crashed. Now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with one or all of those 5 sims? And of course these 5 sims are the main characters so I really need to get them into the new neighborhood or I don't know what I'll do. I hope I made some sense, I'm not every good at explaining, as you can tell. If you know what's wrong or how to fix this please help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 5:32 AM
Are you trying to place occupied lots into the bin? You corrupted you hood, the sims and the neighbourhood you moved them to the instant you did that. The only way to safly 'move' sims is to extract them with simPE, clone them in body shop then remake them in CAS and place them into the new hood while setting up their skills, relationships etc in simPE. You need to start over fresh and not use this new hood as it's already corrupted. Never place occupied lots, and that includes with graves into the housing bin. Never move sims between hoods.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 6:22 AM
Alright, so how exactly do I extract in SimPE and clone in body shop? Why is my new neighborhood corrupted and what will happen if I play with those houses and sims?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 6:45 AM
A clear tutorial on extracting can be found here: http://pixel-trade.livejournal.com/16091.html It isn't difficult once you get the hang of it. It's far more work writing down all the details of the sims you want to keep. So make sure anything about them that you want to be the same you jot down. Once extracted open body shop and clone the sim. The extracted sim will probably be somewhere at the back of the list of sims shown while the clone is at the front. Delete the extracted sim keeping the clone. Sims that are not cloned are known to be buggy and contain a larger file size suggesting data is coming along with them.

I'm not a tech and Mootilda can answer that better than I can, but basically you are breaking memories and relationships and shredding data. When you went to move the occupied lot into the bin it should have given you a pop up warning. EA gave all kinds of tools and actions in the game that can fry not only your hood but even your game installation. Things not to do: http://modthesims.info/t/394352

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 7:32 AM
Thanks for the link.
I went to the thread about things not to do, I only read 3 pages though. So my game is kind of like a ticking time bomb now that I've corrupted my neighborhoods? I'm not so sure of how corruption works and stuff. I'm really upset that I compelety screwed up my game, I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't know what I'm going to do now. I'm like freaking out, I don't want to lose all my hard work for both of my series. I did back up my whole game last month but I'm still upset and scared about this. I feel so stupid /.\
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 7:56 AM
I know it can be upsetting. When my game turned into a molten ball 6 years or so ago I cried. We have all been there. Once you know better, you do better.

Hood corruption isn't game corruption. So long as your installation is okay you can delete all your corrupted hoods and start off fresh. That's great that you are making back ups, that is one of the best things you can do. Restore to that backup and start extracting your sims if you have done other VBT (very bad things) Nearly anything you want to keep about a sim can be reset in simPE. You can also install and run Mootilda's Hood Checker on your restored backup to see how much damage there might be. I know she has a thread on here somewhere that you can post your findings. Lot's that have had sims in are better bulldozed. The best way to keep lots that you have built is to save it to file before moving a sim in. You can also save it to the lot bin as well so it's available in all hoods.

Make sure you have all the game patches and critical fixes. The bat box, no sim loaded, no unlink on delete, no corrupt death, creature fixes (if you ever play a vampire) Make sure your object files or all game installation files are read only.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 8:22 AM
I'm pretty sure 3 neighborhoods that I made are corrupted, and I backed 2 of them up that way. So if I did the cloning and extracting thing for all of my sims and then I delete the 3 corrupted towns that have the original sims and put the new cloned sims into a fresh new town it'd be okay? I'm still confused on the whole thing. Sorry if I'm annoying you, I just don't understand everything that you mean.
But let's say I didn't do anything and I played in the new town with the sims&lots from my another town, what could happen?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 8:29 AM
Yes, extract your sims, delete the corrupted hoods, clone your sims in body shop and remake them in CAS and place them into your new hood. Mootilda also has a hood replace tool. This is something I've never used but I believe it will replicate the roads and deco. Not sure if it does more or not.

Not annoying at all, it's far more annoying if you try and tell somebody they are corrupting their hood or game only to have them tell you it's fine and then go tell others it's fine. That is really annoying. What happens is you will find more glitches occurring, lots that don't open, lots that crash and sims that crash your game when you open their tabs or have them do things, sims vanishing and lastly a hood that wont open at all. The thing is you can't tell how fast this will happen. Some people might get another year out of a hood before it becomes unplayable and someone else might only have days.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 8:38 AM
In one of the neighborhoods in a sub-hood I tried to open it a few days ago and it crashed, so it's definitely corrupted. Thank you so much for all of your help, I'm going to try to extract, clone, and delete tomorrow, it's past midnight and I'm exhausted right now. I'll try not to bother you again but if I really need help along the way I hope it's okay if I ask for some guidance. Again thank you so much, it's greatly appreciated
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 9:29 AM
No worries, there are plenty of people on here who can help. I'm up because I'm in Australia and it's only 7.30 pm over here.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 4:14 PM Last edited by iloveariel : 5th Feb 2014 at 7:55 PM.
Hi, so I'm starting to extract with SimPE and I was wondering since I have a lot of sims to do, can I extract them all then go into bodyshop and clone and package them, or do I do them one at a time? And I'm going off from the link you provided me yesterday and for the last step it says to use zip. or Winrar. or something like that. So does that mean after I package it I need to download it back into my games as if I'm downloading a sim from a site?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 8:50 PM
So I extracted quite a bit of sims and I tried to open up bodyshop and only after 1 minute it crashed? Did I do to many at one time or something?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 9:45 PM
Did you extract them from the backup? You should be able to do as many as you need.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#14 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 10:36 PM
I had to rebuild recently and I did mine in batches of about ten, just so I didn't get confused. BodyShop should be able to handle as many cloned sims as you can throw at it. There may be something in your Downloads folder it doesn't like, though. I had to pull mine in order to clone the sims.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 10:54 PM Last edited by iloveariel : 6th Feb 2014 at 12:28 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Did you extract them from the backup? You should be able to do as many as you need.

No, not from the backup. It is bad that I didn't?
Edit: Since now all of the packages are on my desktop is it okay to put them in my downloads folder so they're not in my way?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th Feb 2014 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
I had to rebuild recently and I did mine in batches of about ten, just so I didn't get confused. BodyShop should be able to handle as many cloned sims as you can throw at it. There may be something in your Downloads folder it doesn't like, though. I had to pull mine in order to clone the sims.

Thanks for the advice. My body shop is working fine now, I just had to delete the cache files.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 2:36 AM
Didn't you save them to saved sims? That's where they need to be anyway not your download folder. I would have extracted them from the backup (I said so somewhere above) as the ones from your current game may possibly be too damaged to extract. If they extracted okay it should be fine as you are not using those sims except to get their likeness from.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 3:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Didn't you save them to saved sims? That's where they need to be anyway not your download folder. I would have extracted them from the backup (I said so somewhere above) as the ones from your current game may possibly be too damaged to extract. If they extracted okay it should be fine as you are not using those sims except to get their likeness from.

They are in my saved sims folder, but they are also on my desktop, I'm guessing just short cuts. So would it be okay to delete them off my desk top?
I think they'll be alright because they all extracted fine.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 3:45 AM
I guess so, I've never had SimPE send sims as shortcuts to the desktop. Don't know what's going on there. Try cloning them next.

Esem, you never had any trouble cloning and using the extracted sims I did for you, did you? Only I was reading that that sims extracted on one computer might not work on someone else's.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 4:34 AM
I've already cloned them and put them into my game. My game is loading up now so in a little bit I'll be able to see if all of this worked. Fingers crossed it did.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 5:42 AM
Yay! It worked, all my sims are cloned as premade sims in CAS. I'm so happy :D
So now do I delete that neighborhood? (The corrupted one the original sims came from?)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 5:58 AM
Yes, unless you want to try Mootilda's hood replicator as I mentioned about. I'm not sure if it replicates houses or just deco and I don't know if it handles corruption. I rebuilt mine before that came out. Do you want to write down the sims stats?

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 6:15 AM
I'd rather just remake a new town and remake/redecorate the houses. So since I want to do that now all I do is press the little delete icon and it's deletes the neighborhood and it's corruption? But what do you mean by 'write down the sims stats?'
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 6:33 AM
Well don't you want to set them up like they were before with the same skills, marriages they had, friends, hobbies, personality points and so on? If you don't it certainly makes it a lot simpler. I set mine back up with every single detail I could find. They will be brand new CAS sims when you place them in the new hood.

Yes, it's totally safe to use the delete neighbourhood button. Delete the hood they came from and the new hood you moved some of them into via the house bin.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#25 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 11:58 AM
I've had this kind of issue before. I think it happens when you put a lot to bin with 5 or more sims on it. It also happened to me when I put a large lot to the bin.
Page 1 of 2