Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 3:47 PM
The problem of a house
Things are like this

There is a very powerful player on Tumblr who built a house. The address of the house is: https://mysimmylicioussims.tumblr.c...rry-i-have-been

I encountered several problems when using this house
I tried to contact the author, but he may be too busy to see my message

When using this house, I found that the characters are often easy to reset
For example, the character will be reset when a prepared food is served, and after reading the newspaper, the character will also be reset
Moreover, the stairs in the house are also unusable (this is related to the structure and may be difficult to correct)

Since I don’t know much about the architectural aspects of the game, I want to see if anyone is interested in downloading this house, experience it, discover its problems, and fix it

Or can you tell me what caused this problem, I hope it can be solved, and the game can be played normally in this house, because I really love it! Please everyone!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 4:43 PM
Are you sure that the lot is clean? Try this. https://modthesims.info/t/609188
Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 4:54 PM
That lot looks like it's very CC:heavy, so I'd think it's quite likely a bad CC item. Resets and/or jump bugs often tend to be caused by some kind of CC issue. Maybe check the lot alone with just CC and run a quick 50/50 on the included CC to see if you find the issue?

If the lot works fine on its own when playtesting, one or more items could be clashing with some item(s) in your Downloads folder. Then you can 50/50 the CC that comes with the lot alongside the full folder of your regular CC to find which files are causing problems in the build (shouldn't take too long).
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 6:06 PM
I've had similar issues with a few EA lots and some of my earliest ones back when I started playing on a very old computer when I was new at the game and it ended up being that I didn't know about needing to flatten the build site on the lot or the entire lot before building.That can be an issue and it can render staircases unusable as it did for one of my homes once.I forgot to flatten the lot before starting the build by mistake and had to move the family out.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Are you sure that the lot is clean? Try this. https://modthesims.info/t/609188

After trying, the problem still exists
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
That lot looks like it's very CC:heavy, so I'd think it's quite likely a bad CC item. Resets and/or jump bugs often tend to be caused by some kind of CC issue. Maybe check the lot alone with just CC and run a quick 50/50 on the included CC to see if you find the issue?

If the lot works fine on its own when playtesting, one or more items could be clashing with some item(s) in your Downloads folder. Then you can 50/50 the CC that comes with the lot alongside the full folder of your regular CC to find which files are causing problems in the build (shouldn't take too long).

Everything is normal when switching to another family, only this house will have problems
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Oct 2021 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wolilinbin
Everything is normal when switching to another family, only this house will have problems

That house looks to be full of CC, I would download it again and open it in Clean Installer (I assume you did use CI to install the lot) and check over all the items. You may need to do a 50/50 search of the lots CC.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 12:48 AM

Could be an item that causes issues on this particular lot (as in, when placed on any lot). Some objects cause problems only when present and/or when sims try to interact with them, but not when they're just hanging out in the buy/build menu or when they're inactive in a newly built unoccupied lot.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 12:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That house looks to be full of CC, I would download it again and open it in Clean Installer (I assume you did use CI to install the lot) and check over all the items. You may need to do a 50/50 search of the lots CC.

Well, by personally experiencing the various functions in this house, you should be able to clarify some of the problems more clearly. I have tried to remove the door of the kitchen so that people can be alone in the kitchen to prepare group meals and entertain the table, but once the kitchen has a door, it cannot be used normally.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 3:50 PM
Sounds like you've narrowed down the problem. Have you tried using a different door? I suggest using a Maxis door as a test, and if it works with a Maxis door, you'll know that the problem was related to that particular piece of CC. Other CC doors may or may not throw the same problem, but once you know the culprit, trying out different CC doors till you find one that looks right and functions will be relatively low-stress.

One situation that arises, particularly with custom content made while expansion packs were still being produced, is that changes to the function of an item in a later expansion will not be applied to custom content made for earlier expansions. There are lots of custom archways, for instance, that don't work well with apartment coding and result in non-viable or bizarre apartments with common area inside them. Some custom content is also made to work in combination with particular mods, and whereas the creator may clearly state this in the description of the item, a lot creator may forget to pass on the information when uploading the lot. This is one reason why you'll meet people in the community who only download, or only upload, CC-free lots, but that's a bit of an extreme reaction. Once you're aware of issues like these, troubleshooting becomes less intimidating, because you know where to start.

Getting somebody else to troubleshoot for you is a mug's game. Nobody'll do it for the asking, for one, (once in awhile someone very generous will offer to explore a specific problem that's piqued their curiosity, but that's a different matter) and it wouldn't prove anything, for another, because a thing that causes a problem in your game may not cause a problem in my game. Different combinations of content, different operating systems, different computer configurations, all can cause differences in how the game runs and whether something is a problem or not. I once downloaded a mod by a reputable and competent modder (Cyjon's Slower LTA Gain), which worked perfectly for thousands of people - but for me, and for one other person I know of, it froze the vacation clock, even when it was the only mod in the game. What did the two of us who had the problem have in common that other people didn't? We don't know. We aren't in a situation where we can compare our setups. It's a completely irrational problem to have, because the mod didn't touch anything that should have affected the vacation clock. I told Cyjon about it even though he's retired from modding, in the spirit of "Here's this really weird thing that happened but I ask for nothing," and he very kindly altered the mod anyway, working nearly blind, and it seems to function normally now, but since we don't know why it was a problem to begin with, and I had to change my gaming computer about then, the solution can't be said to have been thoroughly tested. And that's the way this game is.

Troubleshooting is tedious and annoying but you'll find, once you've made up your mind to do it, and understand how, that it's not as strenuous as you expect it to be.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Sounds like you've narrowed down the problem. Have you tried using a different door? I suggest using a Maxis door as a test, and if it works with a Maxis door, you'll know that the problem was related to that particular piece of CC. Other CC doors may or may not throw the same problem, but once you know the culprit, trying out different CC doors till you find one that looks right and functions will be relatively low-stress.

One situation that arises, particularly with custom content made while expansion packs were still being produced, is that changes to the function of an item in a later expansion will not be applied to custom content made for earlier expansions. There are lots of custom archways, for instance, that don't work well with apartment coding and result in non-viable or bizarre apartments with common area inside them. Some custom content is also made to work in combination with particular mods, and whereas the creator may clearly state this in the description of the item, a lot creator may forget to pass on the information when uploading the lot. This is one reason why you'll meet people in the community who only download, or only upload, CC-free lots, but that's a bit of an extreme reaction. Once you're aware of issues like these, troubleshooting becomes less intimidating, because you know where to start.

Getting somebody else to troubleshoot for you is a mug's game. Nobody'll do it for the asking, for one, (once in awhile someone very generous will offer to explore a specific problem that's piqued their curiosity, but that's a different matter) and it wouldn't prove anything, for another, because a thing that causes a problem in your game may not cause a problem in my game. Different combinations of content, different operating systems, different computer configurations, all can cause differences in how the game runs and whether something is a problem or not. I once downloaded a mod by a reputable and competent modder (Cyjon's Slower LTA Gain), which worked perfectly for thousands of people - but for me, and for one other person I know of, it froze the vacation clock, even when it was the only mod in the game. What did the two of us who had the problem have in common that other people didn't? We don't know. We aren't in a situation where we can compare our setups. It's a completely irrational problem to have, because the mod didn't touch anything that should have affected the vacation clock. I told Cyjon about it even though he's retired from modding, in the spirit of "Here's this really weird thing that happened but I ask for nothing," and he very kindly altered the mod anyway, working nearly blind, and it seems to function normally now, but since we don't know why it was a problem to begin with, and I had to change my gaming computer about then, the solution can't be said to have been thoroughly tested. And that's the way this game is.

Troubleshooting is tedious and annoying but you'll find, once you've made up your mind to do it, and understand how, that it's not as strenuous as you expect it to be.

I tried to change a door, but it seems that there will be problems as long as there is a door. It seems that normal game operations can only be carried out in a completely enclosed space, so I am puzzled, and I really don’t understand how the author built this Housing. I asked my friend to install this house, and she also had the same problem.
Because I don’t know much about house construction, I’m wondering if the author used any special method to build this house, which will cause some functions in the game to appear abnormal, so I want to have more players in this SIMS2 generation. Place, hope to get some inspiration
Mad Poster
#13 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 6:20 PM
it sounds like the lot was glitched when they built on it and I've had a few like that that just wouldn't work beause the blank lot was glitched once it was placed.The creator might've used a few cheats while building and forgot to turn them off before saving and sharing the lot.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#14 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 1:14 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
I think the house was built using cheats, with clutter and objects placed on top of each other and blocking the routing.

I also have this hunch, then can the problem be solved if this is the case?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 1:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
it sounds like the lot was glitched when they built on it and I've had a few like that that just wouldn't work beause the blank lot was glitched once it was placed.The creator might've used a few cheats while building and forgot to turn them off before saving and sharing the lot.

Maybe, can this be solved?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 3:42 AM
Most likely the house wasn't properly playtested before they uploaded it. If build cheats and move/snap have been used to place items, or there's items around where sims are going to move around, playtesting (with a copy of the lot) is often needed to ensure the lot works fine. Some builders tend to forget that.

Doors don't always like when there's a lot of deco items close by, and will sometimes refuse to close. You'll also not be able to pick it up and place it back again if there's a picture or item in the way.

As for what's causing errors, there's a ton of CC on this lot - pretty much everything is CC. If you get errors, pay attention to when, and what sims are trying to interact with, and you'll probably figure out what's causing the problems.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 4:58 AM
If the problem is that cheats were used to place objects where they wouldn't normally be allowed, and these are causing problems, you may need to use cheats to get rid of the objects or features, then turn the cheats off to rebuild and redecorate; or you may need a mod to to render objects placed with the cheats usable.

Have you tried putting the door in a different part of the wall?

One thing that may make it easier to help you might be, taking a nice, clear, zoomed-in screenshot of the problem area. Sometimes an experienced player can spot the problem that way, without going to the effort of downloading the house, installing it, opening the game, and testing the house. If you decide to try that, use a screenshot program or your Print Screen key, as the in-game camera is notoriously difficult to make out details in. You can then attach the picture to a post, which will cause a thumbnail to appear, which we can click on to view the full-sized picture.

If a lot has an inherent flaw when added it is likely to be very difficult or impossible to fix, but it's too early to give up on it yet. When you start getting really frustrated, walk away from it for awhile - you don't have a deadline for solving this.

If worst comes to worst and you can't fix the problem, and the creator is unresponsive or dismissive about the possibility of their house being a problem, but you really like the house, you can always take floor plan views of it and try to recreate it. It's possible that, in the course of doing so, you'll be able to figure out what the problem is, because you won't be able to reproduce a feature and will realize that whatever went wrong, went wrong during the construction of that feature. Or you could build the house in stages and playtest it (in a throwaway neighborhood; many people have neighborhoods just for testing things), and find the source of the problem when the playtest goes wrong. You have a lot of options here.

Very often - and the weirder the problem the more likely this is to be true - the problem will be a particular piece of custom content, and the fastest way to solve it is to go through the process described as the "50/50 method" in the Game Help FAQ. People hate doing the 50/50 because it's so tedious, and can waste a lot of time trying to find a way out of doing it. But it really does solve most people's problems, most of the time, in the shortest time possible. (I always read and eat chocolate when I do the 50/50; makes it more bearable.) But of course it only works if the problem is custom content. In this case, you could test whether it is or not by installing another copy of the house, without all the custom content, in a CC-free version of the game. The process for that would be:
1)Rename the folder called TheSims2 in you My Documents folder. Adding a new word or characters to the beginning or end of the file name will do, as CCTheSims2. This will make the game unable to read it, so that
2) when you launch the game it will make a brand new TheSims2 folder, without any custom content at all (unless you have mods that are installed in the Program files). Once you have this folder, close the game.
3) Install the lot using Clean Installer and tell it not to import any custom content.
4)Load the game again,
5) add the lot to any neighborhood,
6) move someone from the Family Bin in, and see if they have the problem. If they don't, the problem is in your custom content and you'll have to do the 50/50. If they do, the lot itself is the problem, and you can use the CC-free version to test theories about cheats used, lot corruption, etc.

Good luck. One thing about working through a problem like this is, that you'll learn a lot about the game and be better able to handle, or avoid, future problems once you've worked through it. You'll also get a lot more confident about being able to troubleshoot for yourself - not only in this game, but in other programs you use, because basic troubleshooting principles apply to all kinds of programs. In fact, once you've solved a Sims2 problem, the problems you need to troubleshoot in other programs often seem relatively straightforward! So that's something to look forward to.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
If the problem is that cheats were used to place objects where they wouldn't normally be allowed, and these are causing problems, you may need to use cheats to get rid of the objects or features, then turn the cheats off to rebuild and redecorate; or you may need a mod to to render objects placed with the cheats usable.

Have you tried putting the door in a different part of the wall?

One thing that may make it easier to help you might be, taking a nice, clear, zoomed-in screenshot of the problem area. Sometimes an experienced player can spot the problem that way, without going to the effort of downloading the house, installing it, opening the game, and testing the house. If you decide to try that, use a screenshot program or your Print Screen key, as the in-game camera is notoriously difficult to make out details in. You can then attach the picture to a post, which will cause a thumbnail to appear, which we can click on to view the full-sized picture.

If a lot has an inherent flaw when added it is likely to be very difficult or impossible to fix, but it's too early to give up on it yet. When you start getting really frustrated, walk away from it for awhile - you don't have a deadline for solving this.

If worst comes to worst and you can't fix the problem, and the creator is unresponsive or dismissive about the possibility of their house being a problem, but you really like the house, you can always take floor plan views of it and try to recreate it. It's possible that, in the course of doing so, you'll be able to figure out what the problem is, because you won't be able to reproduce a feature and will realize that whatever went wrong, went wrong during the construction of that feature. Or you could build the house in stages and playtest it (in a throwaway neighborhood; many people have neighborhoods just for testing things), and find the source of the problem when the playtest goes wrong. You have a lot of options here.

Very often - and the weirder the problem the more likely this is to be true - the problem will be a particular piece of custom content, and the fastest way to solve it is to go through the process described as the "50/50 method" in the Game Help FAQ. People hate doing the 50/50 because it's so tedious, and can waste a lot of time trying to find a way out of doing it. But it really does solve most people's problems, most of the time, in the shortest time possible. (I always read and eat chocolate when I do the 50/50; makes it more bearable.) But of course it only works if the problem is custom content. In this case, you could test whether it is or not by installing another copy of the house, without all the custom content, in a CC-free version of the game. The process for that would be:
1)Rename the folder called TheSims2 in you My Documents folder. Adding a new word or characters to the beginning or end of the file name will do, as CCTheSims2. This will make the game unable to read it, so that
2) when you launch the game it will make a brand new TheSims2 folder, without any custom content at all (unless you have mods that are installed in the Program files). Once you have this folder, close the game.
3) Install the lot using Clean Installer and tell it not to import any custom content.
4)Load the game again,
5) add the lot to any neighborhood,
6) move someone from the Family Bin in, and see if they have the problem. If they don't, the problem is in your custom content and you'll have to do the 50/50. If they do, the lot itself is the problem, and you can use the CC-free version to test theories about cheats used, lot corruption, etc.

Good luck. One thing about working through a problem like this is, that you'll learn a lot about the game and be better able to handle, or avoid, future problems once you've worked through it. You'll also get a lot more confident about being able to troubleshoot for yourself - not only in this game, but in other programs you use, because basic troubleshooting principles apply to all kinds of programs. In fact, once you've solved a Sims2 problem, the problems you need to troubleshoot in other programs often seem relatively straightforward! So that's something to look forward to.

According to what you said, I opened a new archive. After testing, there are still problems. I understand the seriousness of the problem, so I want to contact the author for a solution. Because I am really not good at SIMS2 housing construction, this may be a headache for me, so I decided to leave the problem back to the author!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 2:32 PM
Maybe, can this be solved?

Could you take a close overhead screenshot and upload it here?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 2:54 PM

Sorry, I don’t understand it very well? What kind of pictures need to be captured? ?
Mad Poster
#22 Old 18th Oct 2021 at 3:47 PM
In build mode, choose the floorplan view - the direct overhead view that allows you to see how the house is laid out from above. For best results, have the walls up and zoom in as close as you can and still show everything.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 2:14 AM

like this?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#24 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 6:36 AM
Yes, but zoom in closer so we can see details better.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 19th Oct 2021 at 8:15 AM
You want to zoom down until the walls of your house are barely touching the edge of your picture frame. Otherwise yes good picture, just too far way. Even better if you can remember to turn the grid off by clicking the colour swatch tool.

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 2