Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#51 Old 1st Jul 2012 at 10:13 AM
Default Wow, I'd best check in NOW! LOL
I haven't entered a building competition in a little while, I'm a little bored! LOL Besides, I love designing, building, decorating, even though it takes me a lot longer than most.

Below is my latest house, the one I built specifically for my self-Sim as a showcase of what she can build for her clients.

For purposes of displaying the house's line, this is the un-landscaped view. I assure you, there are trees and plants now!

Private sanctuary: the bedroom.

Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 1st Jul 2012 at 6:27 PM Last edited by Shhh : 2nd Jul 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Umm, Jaguwar, the application round is over and the 10 contestants have been chosen. Your house is beautiful though :lovestruc

You could post it here: Building Fun

My Simblr: Here
Forum Resident
#53 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 12:03 AM Last edited by mirjamsim2love : 2nd Jul 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lovelydia101
That's ok you can do that.

Thnx! That is nice of you.
The topic is open: Building fun: spin off contest Simterior design
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#54 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 4:36 PM
Looking forward to seeing the lovely creations of the contestants.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 3rd Jul 2012 at 1:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mirjamsim2love
Thnx! That is nice of you.
The topic is open: Building fun: spin off contest Simterior design

Thank you for making that thread. But won't we need one for Sims 3 also? That one is in the Sims 2 section. I only work with Sims 3 these days and I'd feel odd about posting to that thread.
Top Secret Researcher
#56 Old 5th Jul 2012 at 8:44 AM Last edited by Riptide651 : 5th Jul 2012 at 9:12 AM.
Oh damn! and I started making feedback for all the entries! I guess I'll make it only for the contestants than.

Since we technically weren't supposed to judge the app round, I'll send you my feedback personally so you can improve on it as you build Round . I would also like to note that there are only NINE contestants listed on the first post.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Field Researcher
#57 Old 5th Jul 2012 at 2:56 PM
@ Riptide, you had me worried for a second we judging the application round!

My Simblr: Here
Top Secret Researcher
#58 Old 5th Jul 2012 at 4:53 PM
I know! I judged the contestants anyway, I will send out my personal feedback alter today. I have it done so no worries.

GTA V
Field Researcher
retired moderator
#59 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 2:18 AM Last edited by Perfectionist : 17th Jul 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Default 'The Cliffhanger'
Before I post my entry...is there a limit to how many pictures we can post? I know there's base requirements but it doesn't say any limit because I'd like to post anywhere from 10-15.

Edit: I'm leaving tomorrow morning for vacation until the 16th so I'm just going to post all of it.

The house I built for Claire and Danny is an impressive 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bathroom home built on the top of a cliff. It's very modern and futuristic with neat/clean lines but cozy at the same time. Every room in the house has open space to hold a large amount of people at parties. Once you enter the front door, there is a large 2-story dining area with an office area & computer. There is a door to the large deck with recliners for sunbathing and a hot tub. Back inside, The kitchen takes up a large portion of the house with state-of-the-art appliances and an island to accommodate their love of cooking. There is a half bathroom for guests to use at parties. Behind the kitchen is the living area including a mirrored fireplace with a flatscreen over it, couches, bookcases, a radio, and art pieces. Up the stairs is a two story hallway leading to the two bedrooms and a full bathroom with laundry and a walk-in shower. The master is simple with a clean appearance and minimal furniture. It has access to two balconies, one in the front and one in back. The second bedroom is a great place for guests to stay over or it can be changed to a nursery if Claire & Danny decide to start a family. The garage has a parking space and the art studio. There's cabinets for storage and countertop space, as well as an easel and a sculpting station.

Front

Side & Back

Floor Plans

Lot Overview

Kitchen

The Kitchen is a great place to prepare meals for a party and friends to gather. It has a ton of counter space and a huge range to make endless meals.

Dining Room

The 2-story dining room has a large table for 8, perfect for guests at a dinner party. The desk behind the stairs is a great place to get online classes done, or make virtual art.

Living Room

The living area boasts impressive views of Bridgeport and large bookcases for storage. There is seating for 5 and a large TV over the fireplace, perfect for relaxing.

Master Bedroom

The master bedroom is the perfect place to relax and unwind in the bed while watching the TV, or reading a book on the daybed. The balconies have great views of Bridgeport.

Art Studio

The studio is a functional place to create endless possibilities of art from paintings to sculptures.

There it is...I loved making this house and I think it's my best modern one yet! I will be on vacation until the 16th as I said, and I won't have internet from the 9th on but I will check back in until then & afterward.
~Perfectionist

PM me with a request!
Top Secret Researcher
#60 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 8:24 AM
instead of taking up the ass-paining task of writing seperate PMs to all of you. "Sigh" I compiled all of my scores/comments in a google docs file and am posting the link below. Find you name and the scores and comments should be written below. I understand this means you will have a chance to see what I told your competition, and to be quite honest, that will make this competition very interesting. :P

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...JeyOstxXSU/edit

Edit: Forgot link :P

GTA V
Echezzman Nwokeoma
#61 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 10:12 AM
Like Riptide651 pointed out is post 57 there are only 9 contestants listed. So I take it we are working with only these 9 since adding the 10th person will involve extending the time of submission for him or her.

But if some one will be willing to come in and feel they can still meet the deadline of the 14th that would be awesome. Its up to lovelydia101 to decide on that. For those who submitted at the commencing state that feels okay with it as per meeting the deadline, you can PM lovelydia101 if you feel you are up to it and she can decide on either adding an extra one of you or going with the 9 names already chosen.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#62 Old 8th Jul 2012 at 7:20 AM
If by the 10th not more people enter there entries I will see if I could extend the deadline.

Some people are like slinkies not good for much but give you a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Test Subject
#63 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 6:47 AM
(the pictures are in spoilers because all the pictures on the thread makes it slow for my PC and I didn't want to add to that)

It's a moderately small house, as I figured they are art student and wouldn't be able to afford a huge modern mansion. But despite it's size it's still good for entertaining people, and it still provides the muse needed to create their art work. There is a cabin located further away from the house which serves as the second bedroom and as the art studio because sometimes you just need to get away from it all to find your inspiration. (the canvas is located in the studio. The computer is located in the upstairs hallway. the spa is located in the bathroom)

Front of the house. As you can see it's a modern design, the dining are is seen to the left, it's an outside/patio dining area that includes a bar.

the living room. The animal print, and lion head just scream 'party animal'. There are also some freshly baked cupcakes on the coffee table, showing that they're natural cooks. Furthermore, the living room is tight and clutter free showing how neat they are.

The bedroom includes a lot of purples, while still sticking to the brown, black and grey palette. The champagne and sushi shows that they're natural cooks, and also that they're rebels, because how bad-ass is it to eat sushi of each others naked bodies.

This is the view from the Jacuzzi/spa in the master bathroom. Which again is clutter free to show how neat they are. I also guess it shows they're rebels as not many people dare to go skinny dipping with the curtains open

lastly we have the cabin/art studio that provides inspiration for them.

here are the top views:

Anger is like drinking your own poison and expecting the other person to die
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 11th Jul 2012 at 10:24 PM Last edited by Dramamine : 16th Jul 2012 at 3:57 PM. Reason: putting pics in spoilers!
Default Round One
Round One: Danny and Claire

I went at this with the understanding that Claire comes from money, and had also just recently received a rather large inheritance from a dear deceased great aunt. What luck (minus the dead relative)! She decided that with this grand windfall at her disposal, it was time to set her life plans in motion. She proposed to Danny and off they went to Starlight Shores to revel, rebel, and live their party lifestyles - and attend art college, of course!

While looking around for a plot of land in sunny Starlight Shores, they noticed how most of the residential architecture had sort of a renovated Spanish Colonial look. So, being the young rebellious couple they are, once they settled on the perfect lot they immediately started building an urban, moody artspace to show off their artistry and individuality.

Checklist:
Canvas: They're everywhere! Haha, there's literally 5 in the dining room, 4 in the master bedroom, 3 in the guest bedroom, 2 in each bathroom, 2 in the office, etc etc.
Spa: Outside in the backyard, down the steps. The hot tub has it's own little protruding patio peninsula.
Computer: At the top of the stairs in the loft office space.

Colors: Brown, Black, Gray: I used these quite extensively throughout the house, with most of the furniture and building materials in these colors. I did add lots of pops of bright color for both design interest and because of their artistic nature, namely purples oranges and teals.

Traits:
Artistic: The whole house shows their quirky artistry, but something I think is really neat and makes it a lot more personal is that I used all artwork (both paintings and sculptures) actually created by the sims I made as my own Danny and Claire.
Natural Cook: The kitchen is one of the largest rooms in the home, with lots of appliances and lots of prep space. There's even a full kitchen out on the back deck for warm summer afternoons or larger dinner parties. Also, there's vanilla wafer bars on the dining room sieboard. There's always something delicious lying around at Danny and Claire's!
Party Animal: The backyard is built for parties, a big kitchen and fully-stocked professional bar on the back deck, large dining table and stereo + room for dancing on the patio. And the hot tub! And there's drinks on the lower sideboard in the living room and on the dining table outside. Plus the whole house is sophisticated but still has lots of fun funky colors and furniture, something I think a young partying couple would hold in very high regard.
Rebellious: The whole concept of their home in the uppity rich Spanish neighborhood of Starlight Shores is a little rebellious all on its own, but again, I think the bright colors against the smooth modern aesthetic can be quite rebellious, in a fresh chic kind of way.
Neat: This was the hardest for me, as you can probably see I do love clutter ha. But I wanted to be realistic and make it look lived-in as well, so taking into account that I didn't put very much storage space into the house, I chose things that I thought were absolutely necessary but could still maintain that modern line. So yes, in the bathroom all that stuff is out on the counter, but there's no storage space under the sink so they have to put towels SOMEWHERE.... I think to live in the storage-less tight space of this house and still have this much organization shows the marks of a very neat person.

Pictures:
Front

The home itself actually isn't all that large, but it does have some excellent architectural features, such as the glass three-story atrium in the back of the house with a beautiful view of the ocean, containing the sunken living room on the first floor.

Another interesting feature is the art studio, a necessity for the clients. It's a modern take on a traditional stone castle turret, built with basalt rock and classy modern windows with a unique sloping roof.

Keep in mind that all artwork was created by the clients (I made "Danny and Claire" sims and had them painting like madmen for several days while I built the house around them. Ah it's a rough life for those starving artist sims... Except they live in this house so it's not too rough I guess... ha).

Shall we go inside?

This pic taken while standing in the kitchen, the dining area is open to atrium/sunken living room on right. Hallway leads down to art studio.

Big, bright, and beautiful, just like any Natural Cook's Starlight Shores home should be.

A reading corner at the bottom of the stairs in the living room.

Along one wall of the stone turret, an area perfect for creating the next Masterpiece. Along the opposite wall is a drafting table and sculpting workspace, some houseplant deco.

A loft-like office at the top of the stairs, open to all three floors of the atrium along on side. The white thing to the left is the top of the spiral staircase.

All in all, I think they'll be very happy with the home, I know I sure would be... lol

ETA: Sorry about all the pics, thanks for the example of the spoilers, heaven!
Test Subject
#65 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 4:46 AM
Omg, where did you get those dining room paintings from (the zebra and the ones under the stairs). I think you're going to win if you keep making your houses like this

Test Subject
Original Poster
#66 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 6:34 AM
Great jobs everyone i'm really impressed.

Some people are like slinkies not good for much but give you a smile when pushed down the stairs.
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 3:18 PM Last edited by Dramamine : 13th Jul 2012 at 4:23 PM.
@ Emma: Thanks!! Although I gotta say, everyone's entries look great so far, I can't wait to see all of them. It's going to be a tough competition.
Those paintings were just painted by my Danny and Claire sims that I moved into the house. I will say I scrapped and sold a lot of paintings they made, kind of weeded through the stupid ones to get the ones that matched the color scheme and design. Most of the paintings were done by Danny (although Claire got an opportunity to help an old famous artist with a fresco or something so her paintings were always worth more, they just never seemed to fit), and all the sculptures were done by Claire.
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 11:22 PM
Here is my entry. The house in unassuming from the street, with just a simple facade, but the main facade is on the garden side. I suppose it's fairly swanky for a pair of art students, but I suppose they have a lot of money from somewhere. It's an upside down house, with an open plan living space upstairs with a big balcony, suitable for lots of parties and for big dinner parties.

Downstairs there is two bedrooms, and a workspace for our aspiring artists plus a comfortable living space.

I think I've included all the check-list items! I tried to keep it 'messy clutter' free, since they're so neat, and I've put in lots of black, grey and brown. I gave them a motor-cycle, because they're such rebels!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#69 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 12:51 AM
I have decided to extend the deadline to 4 more days to see if any others will still be able to get there entries in.

Test Subject
#70 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 10:29 AM
Aww now I have to wait even longer for the next round I'm already so excited. I do hope though, that it won't be a modern house thing because I hate building modern houses.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#71 Old 13th Jul 2012 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EmmaBananana
Aww now I have to wait even longer for the next round I'm already so excited. I do hope though, that it won't be a modern house thing because I hate building modern houses.

Your house looks magnificent I really love it and as a little clue the next round will definitely be a round you'll love if modern isn't really your thing.

Test Subject
#72 Old 14th Jul 2012 at 2:14 PM
I'd just like to bring something to everyone's attention, especially the judges (Adonispluto particularly). I know for a fact that the fellow contestants and myself joined this competition to have fun, and not to have our creative work negatively criticized. That's not what MTS is about, this community is build on a foundation of respect and understanding for each other's work, even if it's not to your liking. we're supposed to help people improve their work, and bring the best out of them and ourselves. I therefor wanted to let the judges know that even though you may not like something, at least give us positive criticism and constructive feedback, instead of being so harsh. But if you are unable to say something nice about someone's creation, then discuss it between each other but don't message negative things to the contestants. And this is the end of my rant.

Echezzman Nwokeoma
#73 Old 14th Jul 2012 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EmmaBananana
I'd just like to bring something to everyone's attention, especially the judges (Adonispluto particularly). I know for a fact that the fellow contestants and myself joined this competition to have fun, and not to have our creative work negatively criticized. That's not what MTS is about, this community is build on a foundation of respect and understanding for each other's work, even if it's not to your liking. we're supposed to help people improve their work, and bring the best out of them and ourselves. I therefor wanted to let the judges know that even though you may not like something, at least give us positive criticism and constructive feedback, instead of being so harsh. But if you are unable to say something nice about someone's creation, then discuss it between each other but don't message negative things to the contestants. And this is the end of my rant.

Thanks very much for the point you raised. But really I do not see anything wrong in the message I sent to you. I knew the reason for this competition/contest is just for fun and at the same time while the fun part of it is great it indirectly aims at the same time to help us become better in what we do after all no body is just perfect. I felt it nice to let you know what I thought were off with what you did and I did give an advice on a way you could improve on it.That is to say for such a situation a next time you should be able to recollect/remember the point that was raised and not be able to do the same thing a next time.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#74 Old 14th Jul 2012 at 7:15 PM
First, the round isn't over yet so why is feedback and/or scores being given? That should not be done until the round is over and closed. Also, WHEN scores and feedback are given, it needs to go through the host, not be posted individually by each judge. Lovelydia, and judges, please see Story Contest Scoring for an example. Each judge is listed on the main page but their scores and comments are kept anonymous. Lovelydia, it is also your responsibility to check over comments to make sure they follow the forum rules:

Quote:
As a judge, you are to ONLY provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Judges who are found to have provided mean or hurtful comments will be given a warning and may not be able to judge future contests. If you, the contest holder, are sent a PM from a judge and find something you think may not be constructive criticism, its your responsibility to forward the PM to heaven.

If I get more information that comments are not following said rules, I will remove the judges.

Lastly, please put your pictures in spoilers, especially for those sharing a lot. It takes A LONG time to scroll through the page right now. If you reply to my thread, just can see how I formatted the spoiler and infobutton.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Test Subject
Original Poster
#75 Old 15th Jul 2012 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven
First, the round isn't over yet so why is feedback and/or scores being given? That should not be done until the round is over and closed. Also, WHEN scores and feedback are given, it needs to go through the host, not be posted individually by each judge. Lovelydia, and judges, please see Story Contest Scoring for an example. Each judge is listed on the main page but their scores and comments are kept anonymous. Lovelydia, it is also your responsibility to check over comments to make sure they follow the forum rules:

If I get more information that comments are not following said rules, I will remove the judges.

Lastly, please put your pictures in spoilers, especially for those sharing a lot. It takes A LONG time to scroll through the page right now. If you reply to my thread, just can see how I formatted the spoiler and infobutton.

I wasn't told about this either I gave a message to all the judges to send the scores they have done to me so I could check them over and then post it on the day when the first assignment is over. I'll have to ask the judge about what he was doing because I made it clear of what I wanted to happen.

Page 3 of 5