Mini-Tutorial: Marking Cars as Selectable by the Decorative Parking Space
Date Posted: 17th May 2009 at 11:34 PM
In order for BHAV code to find objects that are not currently on your lot, we found an instruction that allows the selection of objects with a particular value set (see this tutorial if you are interested in BHAV programming). This means that in order to have any specific car mesh found and used in your Decorative Parking Space, that car must be marked with a particular selector value. For custom cars, there is a very small step that anyone familiar with SimPEwiki could do for themselves, or, hopefully, car mesh owners will gradually update their cars to include.
How to mark a car with the correct selectable value
To test it has been marked correctly
- Open the car's .package file in SimPE.
- In the Resource Tree pane of SimPE, select the 'Object Data (OBJD)' section.
- In the Resource List pane of SimPE, this will now show one item with a name something like 'Car Ownable - car name'. Select this item
- Ensure you are looking at the Plugin View tab.
- Select the 'RAW Data' tab.
- Scroll right to the bottom, and look for the field labelled '0x004B: Selector Category'
- Edit the 'Selector Category' field to have the value 3, and additionally the 'Selector Sub-Category field just below it to have the value 3 as well.
- Commit your change.
- File->Save Copy As... into your downloads directory.
Annoyingly Maxis have categorised two baby changing tables as Selector = 3, sub-selector = 1, which is why we are using a Sub-Selector here even though we are using the number Maxis assigned as the category for Vehicles!
- Start up your Sims 2 game
- Place the decorative parking space in a lot
- Press <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<c> to bring up the cheats window
- Type boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true
- Hold down the <Shift> key and right-click on the parking space.
- Select the menu item labelled "*Show All Cars". This will cycle through all the cars that the code can find. If you have correctly made the update to the Selector Category, you will see your car in this cycle. This means that your car is available for the decorative car parking space to randomly select for use.
- If you have a Pets or newer Expansion pack there is an easier way - select the menu item labelled "Create Car..." which will have a sub-menu of all the cars and pick your one. If it isn't in the list to choose, it isn't correctly categorised.
Recent Comments for: Mini-Tutorial: Marking Cars as Selectable by the Decorative Parking Space