Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 7:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game seems to be creating issues with CC after every other play.
Having an issue with my CC at the moment in that one minute it will work and then it wont.

I had an issue where every time I selected the decor tab my game would crash (no other tab did this, I went through and checked), so I did the 50/50 method and worked out the piece that was causing the issue, removed it and everything was fine the next time I opened the game. Every tab I could click on and scroll through and I had a decent gameplay.

Next time I opened up my game I could build/buy fine but as soon as I clicked the seating option my game crashed, I was confused as it didn't do this the previous playthrough and I'd not added or moved any CC around since then; I did the 50/50 method again and found the problem file, deleted it and managed to run my game fine again - that is until the next time I played when now the deco tab is playing up again - you can see where I'm going with this.

I find the problem, eliminate it, and can play fine for one playthrough after, but as soon as I close the game and open it up some new issue seems to crop up and the whole loading / closing / 50/50'ing my CC is getting really tedious now as I've done it around 5 times with objects across all the categories and I don't understand why it's fine for one use only after I've eliminated one problem piece then suddenly it creates another after an okay play.

So at the minute my gameplay is looking like Open game, have issue, 5050 my cc and delete issue, game works fine after until closed, open game up again, find issue, 5050 my cc and delete issue, game works fine until closed, open up game again, find issue - and so on and so on

I'm running the UC, delete the appropriate cache files after every play, am running as administrator and my game runs more than comfortably otherwise on my computer etc bodyshop and actually playing my sims.

Any advice would be very appreciated.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 8:42 PM
What happens when you play without any CC or hacks at all?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 8:57 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Apr 2020 at 9:08 PM.
If you've had to do the 4 GB fix to make the game run, make sure the game is not running in admin or compatibility mode, as this counteracts the fix.

Win10 and the UC, if not set up properly, can cause random crashes due to bad memory handling. If the game crashes somewhere new every time, especially in places it didn't crash previously, it could be memory crashes and not CC crashes. It's when the game crashes in the same place every single time you can be reasonably sure it's a CC item (or the same places every time, meaning multiple CC items). Sometimes the game will let you browse past a borked item, but will crash when you click on it (particiularly CAS items).

Another issue could be that the game for whatever reason momentarily can't access the next problem item in line, so when you before the 50/50 search through and find the first item, there could be some reorganizing of the files, so the game suddenly sees the second problem item, and then causes a second crash. This can be due to long file paths or files with bad characters in them (anything that isn't A-Z or 0-9 or - or _ ) - these can and sometimes will decide to not work, especially if they have extra punctuation in them (which to the file means anything behind the extra . is a file extension, so for instance "dress.white.package" may not be recognized as a package file, but suddenly the game for whatever reason sees it as a valid file anyway. Sometimes it's not easy to know why a file gets borked. Moving them around a lot, editing them, packaging and extracting, etc. can occasionally cause borkage.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 9:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you've had to do the 4 GB fix to make the game run, make sure the game is not running in admin or compatibility mode, as this counteracts the fix.

Win10 and the UC, if not set up properly, can cause random crashes due to bad memory handling. If the game crashes somewhere new every time, especially in places it didn't crash previously, it could be memory crashes and not CC crashes. It's when the game crashes in the same place every single time you can be reasonably sure it's a CC item (or the same places every time, meaning multiple CC items). Sometimes the game will let you browse past a borked item, but will crash when you click on it (particiularly CAS items).

I have done the patch but I've seen it elsewhere to run the game on admin mode every time so I'll definitely try running it normally and see how I get on with that. As far as I'm aware I've set it up properly for Win10, I did the patch, I fixed something on the registry that I followed a specific tutorial for to allow memory and I've gone in and edited parts of the Graphics files in Res etc to ensure I get widescreen which works fine.

It does crash somewhere new every time that it didn't crash before, but I've played hours actually simming and the game runs fine, but as soon as I enter build/buy and click on the wrong icon its game over, but it's a bit of a roulette at the minute because I fix it in one place and it crops up in another.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 9:10 PM
Accessing objects and CAS items activates the thumbnail files and the cache files, so the problem could be there somewhere. Could just be a memory issue. I used to get memory crashes in Change Appearance (when buying clothes or changing accessories/hair, always random places) on my stationary, but I had a lot of CC so that was probably the main issue.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMposiast
What happens when you play without any CC or hacks at all?

Game works fine without any CC in it
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 9:18 PM
Accessing objects and CAS items activates the thumbnail files and the cache files, so the problem could be there somewhere. Could just be a memory issue. I used to get memory crashes in Change Appearance (when buying clothes or changing accessories/hair, always random places) on my stationary, but I had a lot of CC so that was probably the main issue.

It's not even when I click the actual item its when I access the subfolder its in, so I can click on 'deco' fine but if I click 'misc' the game crashes, or when it was doing it with seating I could click that section fine but as soon as I clicked on sofa's the game crashes.

It's just a little odd to me that there one be a problem in the game when I play it then as soon as I play it again without changing anything other than saving and shutting down and opening back up there's a problem suddenly created
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 9:30 PM

Another issue could be that the game for whatever reason momentarily can't access the next problem item in line, so when you before the 50/50 search through and find the first item, there could be some reorganizing of the files, so the game suddenly sees the second problem item, and then causes a second crash. This can be due to long file paths or files with bad characters in them (anything that isn't A-Z or 0-9 or - or _ ) - these can and sometimes will decide to not work, especially if they have extra punctuation in them (which to the file means anything behind the extra . is a file extension, so for instance "dress.white.package" may not be recognized as a package file, but suddenly the game for whatever reason sees it as a valid file anyway. Sometimes it's not easy to know why a file gets borked. Moving them around a lot, editing them, packaging and extracting, etc. can occasionally cause borkage.

Should I rename anything that's titled with anything other than the Latin alphabet? I have CC with Cyrillic and Kanji characters in the name, could that potentially be causing the issue?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 10:57 PM
Update: I've removed all CC and the game still crashes when I go to Deco -> Misc, not any other tab, just that one.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 11:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Geels
Update: I've removed all CC and the game still crashes when I go to Deco -> Misc, not any other tab, just that one.

Are you sure you don't have any recategorizers or mods that move EAxis items around? Maybe CEP-Extras? Those may not always be in the Downloads folder.

Should I rename anything that's titled with anything other than the Latin alphabet? I have CC with Cyrillic and Kanji characters in the name, could that potentially be causing the issue?

In most cases the objects will still work, but there are some sure problem characters like punctuation. Some people who have gone through and removed all special characters from their files have noticed the game loads a bit faster, and there's also less chance of files not working because of character issues. It doesn't hurt, and is probably a good idea, but there's no guarantee it will fix anything.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 11:23 PM
Are you sure you don't have any recategorizers or mods that move EAxis items around? Maybe CEP-Extras? Those may not always be in the Downloads folder.

In most cases the objects will still work, but there are some sure problem characters like punctuation. Some people who have gone through and removed all special characters from their files have noticed the game loads a bit faster, and there's also less chance of files not working because of character issues. It doesn't hurt, and is probably a good idea, but there's no guarantee it will fix anything.

Only mods I have are a lighting mod, an agespan mod and ACR, and I've downloaded no recatagorisers I've searched the entire folder in documents for CEP extra.

I'm just really stumped now because I have no CC in my game and I still can't click on Deco -> Misc to access even EAxis items now.

I've also checked for GUID problems on SimPE like I saw on another forum and there's been no issues.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Apr 2020 at 11:25 PM
You're sure you don't have any downloads in the Install directory? That's usually where you're told to put recategorizers and CEP extras and such.

And make sure you delete the cache files after removing the CC.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 6th Apr 2020 at 4:01 AM
I have done the patch but I've seen it elsewhere to run the game on admin mode every time so I'll definitely try running it normally and see how I get on with that. As far as I'm aware I've set it up properly for Win10, I did the patch, I fixed something on the registry that I followed a specific tutorial for to allow memory and I've gone in and edited parts of the Graphics files in Res etc to ensure I get widescreen which works fine.

It does crash somewhere new every time that it didn't crash before, but I've played hours actually simming and the game runs fine, but as soon as I enter build/buy and click on the wrong icon its game over, but it's a bit of a roulette at the minute because I fix it in one place and it crops up in another.

After a crash always check your config.log.txt in your log folder because a crash can remove the 4 GB patch.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#14 Old 7th Apr 2020 at 12:45 AM Last edited by Slartibartcat : 7th Apr 2020 at 2:26 AM. Reason: updated info from further testing
I think I'm having a similar problem, if not the same one. Game would crash in deco\misc every time I clicked on a privacy screen or something cloned from it (but also sometimes in misc\misc too), so I removed all my CC and gradually added it back in until something triggered it again. But then after removing whatever it was the problem would happen again despite having the exact same CC as when the crashing didn't occur. I've got a growing folder of unrelated CC now that caused a crash when re-added but don't when left in alone without all the other CC. Short of isolating everything cloned from privacy screens (no idea how I'd even do that), I don't think I can isolate it to one piece of CC. Removed CEP and recategorizers, still no difference. All I could think was that maybe I have too much build/buy mode CC (over 30,000 files) for the catalog to handle but since you're crashing without any CC maybe it's something else in my case too. I run the Ultimate Collection on Windows 7 with the 4gb patch and no compatibility/admin mode, and never had this problem until I went on the latest buy mode CC downloading spree. Like you I also use ACR, an age mod, and a lighting mod (iCad's edit of Almightyhat's gestation based aging mod, and dreadpirate's MM lighting mod) among others, but I removed them all for testing with no impact.

Quote:
Moving them around a lot, editing them, packaging and extracting, etc. can occasionally cause borkage.

I rename all my files in bulk to remove strange characters and have a habit of moving them around a lot. Maybe that's corrupting them somehow. If you also do this maybe you accidentally renamed and borked a program file in the game, or something in your documents directory outside of the downloads folder?

Here's my exception log, in case there's a clue in it that I can't detect: