Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 12:08 AM
Default Wayback Machine woes
This isn't a WCIF per se, but since lots of folks sometimes use the Wayback Machine to get old stuff they're looking for, I thought it was worth asking here... is something wrong with that service? For about 6 months or so, I haven't really been able to get anywhere with it: sites I used to visit regularly now generate the "Hrm... we haven't archived that URL" message. Anyone else noticed this? It's not one of my "your clock is ahead" situations... I can get to the archive.org site, it's just nothing comes up when I search an address. I contacted their support staff, and instead of reading my question, they sent me a beginner's introduction to the purpose and mission of the site. Hopefully it's not in fact a "browser update" issue; wouldn't that be ironic if the entity entrusted with saving out-of-date websites estranged themselves from folks with older software by trying to be too modern.
Sorry for hijacking the forum; feel free to move this thread somewhere more appropriate if you need to, but I thought it might be of interest.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 2:51 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Sep 2022 at 3:16 PM.
Not sure, but try main site URLs if you can, instead of spesific URLs (depends a bit on what you're after, though), and aim for "spikes" in activity for the dates you go back in time to. That seems to work better.

Forum URLs with logins aren't always archived, so you might not always get hits on those.

(Occasionally it's opposite, where spesific pages gets you results but the main page doesn't, so it doesn't hurt to try both).
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 5:27 AM
Interesting. I'm suddenly getting that when I try to look up All About Style, but if I use a link to a specific page then it works.
Test Subject
#4 Old 24th Sep 2022 at 6:07 PM Last edited by ShernaSims : 24th Sep 2022 at 8:44 PM.
Since this is about the Internet Archive, I might try my luck here. I've been curious about this hair mesh while searching for adult sim hair for Sora: Bipsouille's "Exploded Hairstyle for Sora which the picture of the mesh is here: https://modthesims.info/d/199706/ki...-and-roxas.html. They posted a link to the hair mesh but since the link to that mesh is deleted, I used the Internet Archive with the deleted link, & I got results & happily, the hair mesh is also for adult Sims but sadly isn't downloadable https://web.archive.org/web/2007012...ad.php?t=191854. I know it isn't the best Sora hair but that's all I can find for Sora adult sim hair. Could anyone help me find it or search on the archive for a download to this hair? I've been trying to find an adult sim version of Sora for years.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 24th Sep 2022 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Interesting. I'm suddenly getting that when I try to look up All About Style, but if I use a link to a specific page then it works.

@Charity Are you using the correct URL? I get this:

https://web.archive.org/web/2008010...bout-style.com/

@shernasims I'm afraid that thread looks to be gone, the wayback machine doesn't have anything on Bipsouille's profile, either. If you ask an admin, perhaps they could look to see if there's a link or attachment in the deleted thread.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Sep 2022 at 11:50 AM
This is what I get and the link doesn't work.

https://web.archive.org/web/2022000...20about%20style
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 25th Sep 2022 at 12:52 PM
It works for me- it says 153,170 captures for all-about-style.com and if you click that, it takes you to the page I showed.

It's always easiest to put the correct URL into the wayback machine- that takes you straight to the archive!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Sep 2022 at 4:40 PM
If I remembered the URL lol. Takes me to a whole different page.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Sep 2022 at 4:57 PM
@Charity On your link, all-about-style.com is the top result, so it's a pretty good bet that this is the correct URL. Click where it says 153,170 captures and it takes you to the place you would have got to, had you remembered the actual URL.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Sep 2022 at 9:40 AM
That's nice and weird. If I click on the captures it does exactly that. If I click on the web address shown it takes me here. https://web.archive.org/web/2022081...e&inPopUp=false

But at least I have a way to make it work now. Thanks!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 26th Sep 2022 at 10:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@shernasims I'm afraid that thread looks to be gone, the wayback machine doesn't have anything on Bipsouille's profile, either. If you ask an admin, perhaps they could look to see if there's a link or attachment in the deleted thread.

I did look but it's completely gone. However, while looking through posts from that time, I happened across medrops who seems to have not only a Sora hair, but other KH stuff as well.
Test Subject
#12 Old 26th Sep 2022 at 6:36 PM Last edited by ShernaSims : 27th Sep 2022 at 1:23 AM.
I looked at the Medrop's Sora hair but the adult version is very buggy .
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Jan 2023 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@Charity On your link, all-about-style.com is the top result, so it's a pretty good bet that this is the correct URL. Click where it says 153,170 captures and it takes you to the place you would have got to, had you remembered the actual URL.

You see, this is what I get when I do a search on the wayback machine (or, for that matter, if I just enter a URL) A polar bear in a blizzard:
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 3rd Jan 2023 at 10:52 AM
I can't see your screenshot clearly @chitownriverscum but are you searching the library archive or the wayback machine?

If you go to archive.org then you will see this- so type 'all about style' (to use Charity's example) to the wayback machine search bar:

Hit enter, and it will show you all of the pages it can find that might match 'all about style'. As you can see, the top one is the site we need as you can see it has a screenshot, and shows Sims 2 dresses there.

So click under that website details, just where it says '153 170 capture(s)'- this will take you to the calendar of all the times the web archive crawled that site and archived the pages:

It will take you to this page, you can click on any of the years on the bar at the top to see all of the dates (highlighted in blue) where a snapshot of the site was made. So click on any of these blue dates to show the site as it was then. Note: they may not be complete captures, the web archive doesn't always get the entire site!

The larger blue blobs show the days when the most captures were made. Make sure you look at years when the site was active; after around 2014 the domain may have been used by someone else and not the sims creator.

If you are not seeing this when you access archive.org then it may be that your browser isn't allowing scripts, or perhaps you have an antivirus or adblocker that is interfering.
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Jan 2023 at 2:42 AM
No, I'm definitely typing it in the right place, same as you did, but the resulting page is just very blank... no results, which I used to get no problem - I used the Wayback Machine fairly often in the past... this non-result business is a new phenomenon. Either (as you suggest) there's some toggle that I have set incorrectly, or... the archive.org people have upgraded their website, behind the scenes, so that older, more antiquated browsers can no longer properly access the archives. That would be just a little ironic, since the main reason people use the Wayback Machine is to look at antiquated, defunct websites. Sigh. Well, at least I know that the thing is still up and running. Guess I'll keep trying. Thanks!
Mad Poster
#16 Old 4th Jan 2023 at 3:54 AM
A lot of old pages used http and not https, it could be it's not working if your browser has activated a "no HTTP mode". In Firefox you can easily switch back and forth under the privacy settings, and probably in other browsers as well.