Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#51 Old 25th May 2014 at 5:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind
When Scots get excited the rate at which they speak can increase dramatically making it difficult to distinguish what they are actually saying.

I shall bring a sense of humour and some patience. The term "Scots" is said to encompass a number of different dialects (not merely accents, but dialects) which aren't even necessarily mutually intelligible once the speakers get really excited. Of the tongue-twisting song McGinty's Meal and Ale, it is said:
Quote: Originally posted by http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiMEALNALE;ttMEALNALE;ttMEALNAL2.html
When I heard Davy Stewart sing this at Blairgowrie, he was elderly,
singing a dialect [North-East] song in one of the world's broadest accents, and
seriously betippled (like everyone else in town that day.) I venture
to say few in the room understood more than a few words. I didn't get
_any_ words that first time; or even the sense that the language was in
the Indo-European family.
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 26th May 2014 at 6:15 PM
...the city of Glasgow recently lost one of its most iconic buildings:

The Glasgow School of Art.

I hope they either rebuild it, or that they replace it with something just as lovely.
Here in Missoula, every time one of our older, more graceful buildings drops, they replace it with something thick, clumsy, and unimaginative.
Scholar
Original Poster
#53 Old 30th May 2014 at 10:37 PM
I guess it depends on how much of the structure is redeemable/stable after all the rubble has been cleared. It's a shame about all that gorgeous woodwork that has been lost.
Scholar
#54 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 5:27 AM Last edited by tsyokawe : 11th Jun 2014 at 1:14 PM. Reason: brain flatus...
I guess it depends on how much of the structure is redeemable/stable after all the rubble has been cleared. It's a shame about all that gorgeous woodwork that has been lost.

I wonder if schools could get involved, places where students learn to carve wood and/or cut mouldings and do other woodwork.
It could be a win-win:
For credit and experience, the masters and their students could reconstruct the woodwork;
the cost for rebuilding would be greatly reduced;
and the community at-large wouldn't lose (well, at least not entirely) this gorgeous piece of history.

I'm hoping their there might also be experienced artisans willing to donate time, as well.
Scholar
#55 Old 8th Apr 2015 at 1:06 AM
So pretty. I love old buildings...

This is Poznan in Poland.
Screenshots
#56 Old 25th Apr 2015 at 11:26 AM
My all time favorite local historical places:

Borobudur Temple, Central Java, Indonesia

Vipassana Graha Buddhist Monastery, Lembang, Indonesia

Pura Besakih, Bali, Indonesia

Tanah Lot, Bali, Indonesia

I moved my downloads to Simblr thebleedingwoodland
My newer quality downloads on my blog The Bleeding Woodland
Scholar
Original Poster
#57 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 12:53 PM Last edited by Fergus' Mind : 27th Apr 2015 at 9:24 PM.
Wow, those are some impressive sites and structures! I've always been curious about the multiple-tiered roofs, is it a purely decorative thing or does it serve a practical purpose like ventilation?
One place I found recently was Little Hall in Lavenham, Suffolk:

Quote:
A late 14th Century Hall House on the main square, it mirrors the history of Lavenham over the centuries. First built in the 1390s as a family house and workplace, it was enlarged, improved and modernised in the mid 1550s, and greatly extended later. By the 1700s it was giving homes to six families. It was restored in the 1920s/30s.

In the 1960s and 70s it was an outpost of Kingston (Surrey) College of Art. In 1975 Surrey County Council offered it to the Suffolk Building Preservation Trust, together with two cottages. Before selling the cottages, the Trust was able to restore Little Hall.

This late C14 hall house containing the Gayer-Anderson collection of pictures and artefacts was opened to the public in 1978 and now operates as a museum.

Next to it you'll find Lavenham Guildhall:

Quote:
Built about 1530 and probably Lavenham's best known building after the Church. Has served variously as a prison, workhouse, almshouse, wool store, nursery school and a 'welcome club' for American servicemen during World War ll. Now a museum with interesting displays of local history, gift shop and tearooms.

The village of Lavenham is filled with hundreds of crooked medieval beauties such as these, it's no wonder it was chosen as 'Godric's Hollow' in some of the Harry Potter films. One house used in filming was the De Vere House:

Quote:
De Vere House, which has also been known as the de Vere Hunting Lodge, Oxford House and
Oxford Cottages, was one of three properties within the centre of Lavenham, which were owned by the
de Vere family and attached to Lavenham Hall. The house continued uninterrupted in de Vere ownership from the 14th to 17th centuries. It is a grade 1 listed property because of its architectural and historical interest.
Originally a 14th century hall house, de Vere House was extended in the period immediately following the Battle of Bosworth (1485), and then later partially demolished and rebuilt in 1929. Very little of the 14th century hall remains, but the 15th century extension (in particular most of the internal and external beams and some of the internal and external brickwork) is pretty much as it was over 500 years ago.
The house contains a number of interesting features, including: a stone spiral staircase based on that in Oxburgh Hall; the remains of one of the last garde-robes to be installed in this country; a rare and original medieval wall painting; and a magnificent front door-way, with its carved huntsmen (dating back to the early 15th century) and the heraldic symbols of John de Vere, the 13th earl of Oxford (boar, star, wool jack and scales).
Both the exterior and interior of the house are a splendid commemoration to the de Vere family, who were centre-stage at most of the important historical events of the 11th to 17th centuries.

One final building of note in Lavenham has to be the Lavenham Priory:

Quote:
The early history of Lavenham Priory is hard to trace, but the Doomsday Survey of 1086 shows that the Lord of the Manor was Alberic de Vere who allocated part of his lands in Lavenham - including the site of the Priory - to the Canons. It is not until the last half of the 16th Century, when the majority of the building work was completed, that names and dates can be acknowledged and connected to the Priory.
The Priory has undergone a vast evolution in its time, with a great many extensions being added. Now a luxury bed and breakfast, when staying at the Priory, there are a number of fascinating original features to look out for.
Lavenham Priory’s existence as a building began as a 13th Century Hall House, which is presently the Main Hall. Still visible is a large mullioned window that extends to the roof. It is highly likely that the Priory was funded by the fortunes of the wool trade. The cellar below what is now the Study was probably used for the dyeing of wool, using water from the mediaeval culvert that runs the length of Water Street.

Quote:
Lavenham Priory
In the Great Hall visitors can admire the enormous inglenook fireplace which was constructed around 1530. During the 1540’s one of Lavenham’s clothier’s, Roger Ruggles, became owner-occupier. The initials “R R” are carved on the oak bressumar above the fireplace. Ruggles’ wife was named Margaret, and he commissioned the initials “R & M” to be placed in the centre of the Elizabethan Strapwork painting in the Great Chamber.
A five-bay extension was added at right angles to the east of the Great Hall in the late 15th Century. The Great Hall is connected to this extension via the Screen Passage, which runs from the courtyard to the Priory’s front door. The two front bays – presently the Dining Room and the Merchant’s Chamber – were built over the culvert. The Merchants Chamber features a strikingly sloping floor, which was caused by the subsidence of the building constructed over the “made ground” of the culvert.
Scholar
Original Poster
#58 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 7:55 PM
Default The Hay Wain (Flatford Mill, Suffolk)
While I've been out and about this summer, I decided to pay another visit to the site of the historic house that featured in John Constable's famous painting 'The Hay Wain':

The historic house in question was Wily Lott's house and the site, Flatford Mill, is now owned by the National Trust, and there are numerous beautiful historic buildings to have a wonder around, including:

Quote:
Wily Lott's House. Originally built in the 16th century, it was later added to in the 17th century. Willy Lott couldn't read or write, but by 1825 he had earned enough money to purchase the little house that now takes his name.

Quote:
Flatford Mill. Dating back to 1733, it later formed part of the Constable family's milling estate.

Quote:
Flatford Granary. Dating back to the 18th century, it later formed part of the Constable family's milling estate.

Quote:
Valley Farm. First built as a medieval "open hall house", a chimney and upper floor was later added in the 16th century. The farm was once home to Willy Lott's grandparents.

Quote:
Bridge Cottage. Dating back to the 16th century.

Page 3 of 3