Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jun 2024 at 6:12 PM Last edited by moonlight__ : 1st Jul 2024 at 12:42 PM.
Default A lot that you have bittersweet memories of?
For those who started playing TS2 as clueless kids, that had kids taken away, pregnant sims die, fires, ghosts and other stuff that kids were scared of when playing the game, what lot reminds you the most of your bittersweet early gameplay?

For me it was this Veronaville lot below and the other one that looks exactly the same. It was very cheap but spacious and not as cheap looking as other lots in that price range. I would make a family of two kids, one toddler and have the family have one more baby. I have no idea why I wanted so large families besides that I was projecting my only child wishes. The family was obviously poor and I didn't know they could get jobs, so they were surviving off 3k simoleons and having the most basic cheapest furniture. The family would die multiple times in a fire, mom dying during pregnancy and/or have their kids taken away probably from bad grades cause I didn't know that they have to do their homework neither that it was the reason for their bad grades, but I was still not saving when exiting an trying again and again. I remember in the last gameplay the two kids died in the fire, the toddler aging to a child, surviving the fire and being taken away and the parents having a baby shortly after. It was a bittersweet end I guess, but that family and house really stuck to me 15-16 years later.

Edit: I have to say that I forgot how Veronaville had detailed and beautiful houses for Sims 2 Base Game standards. I also remember that the interiors weren't that flexible (a hell for wannabe interior designers here) unless you tweaked with the walls and added a little more foundation. However, the house below was like a blank canvas and had plenty of space.

Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jun 2024 at 6:27 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th Jun 2024 at 8:11 PM.
I think it has to be one I made ages ago (must have been somewhere around 06/07), I think it was a big tree house with a fairy family living on it. I don't think I have any pictures, unfortunately (I took lots of pics, but doesn't seem like I uploaded them anywhere, or most likely uploaded them directly to a site that went down). It was on my ancient laptop (which is dead a long time ago), but it's entirely possible it's saved on some very old harddrive. Haven't looked it up again. I think perhaps I'm remembering the lot as being better than it actually was...

Also a test lot where I put Samantha's family and just went completely nuts with cheats and mods. I think I kinda broke her husband, even (tried to turn him into a vampire - at one point he had a bat and a baby stuck to his chest)

Around 2006-ish, I had a kinda wild "everything goes" playstyle, where I'd test stuff (especially kinda wild mods), mess up stuff, download CC with all kinds of styles (particularly lots of fantasy stuff). Most of it had wore off by mid-07, though.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th Jun 2024 at 8:04 PM
Oh!! I know exactly what you mean. One of my first ever families was moved into the Craftsman's Pride - a married couple with a toddler, the wife was Family and the husband was Romance. I put the parent's bed in that plus-shaped attic room. She wanted another baby, so I made them try for baby. I didn't know that pregnant sims' hunger degrades so fast and her husband wanted to woohoo again, so I made them woohoo and she lost so much hunger that she starved to death! Her ghost haunted the lot for ages and it was really hard to bring up the daughter with just the father and I played her as this tragic figure who rebelled as a teenager

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Jun 2024 at 11:08 PM
Oh, yeah..one such lot was the Goth Manor in Pleasantview, where the ghosts were still there, Don Lothario killed his second wife, Kitty Curious there, and Jennifer Burb died by fright after being scared by them-and I didn't even notice until her ghost showed up.

Good old days...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Instructor
#5 Old 1st Jul 2024 at 1:01 AM
The Thedorff household, as I described here. I was so ahead of the curve with that home nightclub idea, one day I'll have to start a home business on that lot and run a nightclub now that I have Arbor Falls on TS2 proper.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My Simblr! Now actually working!
Forum Resident
#6 Old 1st Jul 2024 at 2:51 AM
I know this is about TS2, but I started with TS1. I had a "group home" going, called the Swingles, and when I let them choose their own partners within the household, things got a bit...funky. Two guys got together, there was an interracial male/female couple (Asian/Euro respectively), an Afro male-female couple, and a blonde Euro girl who was odd-one-out. (Never did get around to deciding whether to have her bring a partner in, or marry out.) None of them ever tried swapping partners or cheating on each other, but that could be due to the limitations of the Sims 1 game engine.

Maybe one of these days I'll try re-creating them in Sims 2 and see what happens. :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jul 2024 at 9:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
I know this is about TS2, but I started with TS1. I had a "group home" going, called the Swingles, and when I let them choose their own partners within the household, things got a bit...funky. Two guys got together, there was an interracial male/female couple (Asian/Euro respectively), an Afro male-female couple, and a blonde Euro girl who was odd-one-out. (Never did get around to deciding whether to have her bring a partner in, or marry out.) None of them ever tried swapping partners or cheating on each other, but that could be due to the limitations of the Sims 1 game engine.

Maybe one of these days I'll try re-creating them in Sims 2 and see what happens. :D

Lucky for you Sims 4 is introducing polyamory and threesomes in their latest pack. I personally was shocked to find that out considering their family friendly romantic internactions
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Jul 2024 at 10:43 AM
Sims 1 was my first sims game. I don't remember messing anything up that badly though. Does noone else read the manual before they play? XD

Quote: Originally posted by moonlight__
Lucky for you Sims 4 is introducing polyamory and threesomes in their latest pack. I personally was shocked to find that out considering their family friendly romantic interactions

I'd imagine that any threesome interactions will be just as family friendly.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Jul 2024 at 3:20 PM
Polyamory is very family friendly.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#10 Old Yesterday at 6:43 AM Last edited by inspiredzone : Yesterday at 11:31 PM.
I had a longtime Pleasantview that got corrupted in a fluke accident (something went wrong with the Mansions & Gardens install and I didn't realize for years until Ultimate Collection came out and suddenly all my hoods couldn't load anymore)

The O'Connells were my favorite family by far. Julie was the daughter of the richest man in town and his maid (Melissa Castillo, who was my all-time favorite sim). She married James O'Connell and they had 10 kids- Kayla, Taylor, Leah, Jimmy, Hailey, Natalie, Kelsey, Jack, Elena, Julianna (half of whom I could name off the top of my head 10 years later!)

I used to play with aging off until Julie got pregnant again so I could maximize my time with that lot while completely neglecting others. All those years of play......and I don't have ANY pics of that family except these few build pics. Taking pictures just wasn't part of my gameplay back then. I have so many memories of that hood and that family but no physical memories. That's probably why I'm so ridiculous now for having really over the top wedding ceremonies and taking a bunch of pics, so at least I'll have something to remember them by.
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old Yesterday at 11:45 AM Last edited by moonlight__ : Yesterday at 9:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
and I don't have ANY pics of that family except these few build pics. Taking pictures just wasn't part of my gameplay back then. I have so many memories of that hood and that family but no physical memories. That's probably why I'm so ridiculous now for having really over the top wedding ceremonies and taking a bunch of pics, so at least I'll have something to remember them by.

I heavily relate to this. I actually used to have a lot of cute family pics, usually spontaneous taken in the moment instead of posing. I lost all of them cause I didn't know that I could copy them onto my desktop. I had a lot of gorgeous photos of my Sims 2 and Sims 3 games on my old desktop until it died in 2020. The only stuff left was the pics I posted on the internet (here and on Reddit) or the ones I showed to my friends.

I started using poseboxes about 8 years ago and I never went back. I stopped using only snapshot and started screenshoting. I made elaborate ceremonies before that but had very mediocre pics, now I take wedding photos whenever I feel like it, even after their 2nd child. I tried many times to make realistic extended family portraits but they in 70% of cases fail cause I can't find compatible poses and I don't want to make them pose like football players.

Edit: I forgot to add that your house was to die for to 9 year old me. It's like those 2000s chaotic reality show homes. Now I get overwhelmed by mansions but then I would build nothing but similar mansions.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old Yesterday at 1:49 PM
When I made my first custom neighborhood, Fjord Falls, I went all out to make it Scandinavian themed, borrowing a lot from Denmark in particular. I remember one of the townies that wound up getting incorporated into the round play was put as Mayor, level 10 of Politics, so I decided to roll with it and build them a massive mansion based off whatever came up for "Danish Mansion" that would be the mayor's mansion. It was the first time I'd ever built something of that scale. Combined with the fact that Fjord Falls was a BACC challenge that started off with just four sims, it felt very much like a watershed moment for me simming-wise. I remember being so impressed by it and was devastated when eventually the neighborhood just disappeared from my game. It was entirely Maxis but still felt very luxurious, had a lot of things I'd never made before like a grand hall, an oval office sort of space, and the whole first floor was a faux basement with an arcade of big stone columns. It felt big and opulent but not cumbersome to play with like some mansions can become. I still have a few exterior shots on my old PC but I'd give anything to remember just how I built that lot and what the floorplan was, because I reminisce about it all the time.