Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I'm reminded of TigerM, who released a useful save editor, with support for painting replacement and the "beautiful vista" buff along with a lot of other functionality... and then vanished from the scene... and nobody has his code :/ His app was obsoleted by the next patch that came along.

Just to clarify:

"The Sims 3 Neighborhood Workshop" is a .NET application and can be decompiled using Reflector.

It would have been nice if the original code was available, however if and when the application stops reading town-files, I can and will extract the code and completely rebuild it (purely for personal use).

(I still use TigerM's app to read files, even if you can't edit them anymore)

Unless the user intentionally attempts to obfuscate their code-base, all .NET applications can be read using Reflector.

Cheers.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Advertisement
Don't ask me, I just code
Original Poster
#27 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
So what purpose lies behind saying that "My program is so wonderful because I gave away my source so if you link to the functions I provided and documented for other people to use, you have to disclose all your source". My ball, my rules?
Are you now trying to dictate the terms I'm allowed to use on code I wrote in the same way you like to dictate the terms people are allowed to distribute content they've created? Please Wes, just let it go.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#28 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 7:52 PM
Yes (to Twallan), one thing about releasing source is it is a way of indicating you give permission to anyone to take it over if you disappear.

Otherwise it leaves a situation where if you have had to use Reflector to decompile, you feel honour-bound to keep it for your own use only and not make it available to the rest of community.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 5:52 PM
Wuh!? I'd have to side with Wes and rothn. We don't need squables slowing us down, and the fact of the matter is talking about liscense agreements when we operate, under the good graces of EA and Maxis is a joke. I'm tired of the Sims modding community arguing over the legality of something that is by definition GREY. S3PE is not 100% legal, though it kinda is....as long as EA says it is. It's only purpose being to hack EA's games. Now, did EA request anything from you? And claiming that it's for the better of the community? What are we, Russia or something? It's like the Red Curtain. We goofing around with the Sims......everyone needs to just BE COOL, BE COOL, DAMN.
#30 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tonicmole
We don't need squables slowing us down.

...nor unnecessary secrecy and exclusivity.

Anyway, rothn didn't "agree" with Wes - he would have been very happy to release his code. Wes was the only one apparently fretting about his bits of it being revealed. All rothn wanted to do was keep the peace.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Eminence Grise
#31 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tonicmole
Wuh!? I'd have to side with Wes and rothn. We don't need squables slowing us down, and the fact of the matter is talking about liscense agreements when we operate, under the good graces of EA and Maxis is a joke.

I don't think you've seen the conditions Wes had on his tools :/
Field Researcher
#32 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 7:10 AM
Default No GPL!!!
I re-integrated S3PI, but realized that not only could I write a faster and easier-to-use library on my own, but that I had a series of legal, emotional, and other issues with having my code licensed under the GPL. Some of these are
  • What if EA or RAD doesn't like what I'm doing in my source code, and they find it b/c it is in the public domain?
  • I want to own my own code, and I want to be the only person with a tool that does this to
    • make life easier
    • keep confusion levels lower
    • and another reason that I really can't identify.

RothN

Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue. - Windows XP Setup
Hey! It compiles! Ship it! - Microsoft
Love is Hate. War is Peace. Windows is stable. - 1984 (sort of)
#33 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 3:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rothn
I want to be the only person with a tool that does this

Well that settles the matter then

Test Subject
#34 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 12:45 AM
Hey Roth, I'd be happy to help programming-wise.
I've been playing around a lot with c#/xna for a completely different purpose than game making (making a map generator for another game I used to play) - anyway I've tought myself a lot about c# and visual studio. I've been programming in php/javascript&AJAX/Visual Basic and done a little with opengl and tons of other junk for the past 14ish yrs. And also built my own file importer for my own file types for the map generator thingamabob. ANYWAY, if you need help with anything c/c# related I'm here for ya.

What are you programming in anyway? I'm taking a wild guess and saying c++ or similar but I might be wrong.

Can we post emails? If not feel free to delete mine :P
You can contact me at [email protected]
Page 2 of 2