Replies: 5586 (Who?), Viewed: 293461 times.
Page 224 of 224
Forum Resident
#5576 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 5:02 PM
I've often done that to fix houses I wanted to make use of because EA often dosen't do the best job of designing homes.I've often found annoyainces like stoves being present without a fire alarm or sprinker being there to stop a fire from killing sims and there's often no back door which can cause traffic jams trying to exit the home and result in somebody missing work or school.I've even found their apartment designs so bad that I just scratch built my own apartment lots and mine are way better designed and most are made affordable and many are even subsidized because most sims moving into apartments are doing so because they can't afford home ownership and would go bankrupt living in owned housing.
Scholar
#5577 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 8:10 PM
Oh yeah, Maxis definitely has some bad apartments--dorms, too. I've renovated a bunch to give sims more breathing room and better amenities. That's how I've started building apartments, actually, by tinkering with the Maxis ones. Now I've got a bunch that fit my own tastes, like having the top floors--3 & up--be dummy floors, and keeping all the livable spaces on the first two floors, and leaving room for things like tv lounges, laundry rooms, and computer labs. I remember playing the DeBateaus in their apartment, way back when. I spent ages making it really nice and then it was a pain in the butt to play because they were so high up and the elevators were so slow--plus I think only one sim at time can use them?? There were some missed carpools and school buses for sure in that household. The sentinel apartments is another routing mess--similarly the spiral staircase causes frequent jams and sims going in the opposite direction have to wait for the other to pass. Now, all the apartments I build from scratch use modular stairs for those reasons and if there's an elevator, it's really just for show, or as a second option to the stairs.

But for regular housing, what usually bothers me the most is that Maxis tended to build some really odd-shaped rooms, which for me is just unfunctional cuz in an unmodded game, there aren't really a lot of 1-tile furniture options and sims can have issues using diagonals, especially without the later EPs. So I usually like to renovate things to square things off, eliminate useless 1-tile hallways, make the roof more presentable and/or seasons proof, and add extra bedrooms. For example, it bothered me that there really isn't a suitable option for the Capps--Goneril & Albany--when you first play Veronaville. IIRC, all the tudor style houses in their price range have 1, maybe two bedrooms, and it's a family of 6. They need 3 bedrooms minimum, imo. Otherwise, I don't really mind that there aren't things like fire alarms--I generally like to leave houses empty and let my sims fill things up.

Hmm, you know now that I'm thinking about it, a lot of what makes Maxis' builds so bad are poor game design/decisions. I guess they didn't test lots very well (perhaps only ever had 2 things in a bedroom, maybe? ), or else they would've seen that the lots didn't work well with their routing and they could've fixed one or the other. And I'm not sure why anyone would design an elevator that could only be used one at a time, but after about 5-10 minutes playing on a lot with one, you see the problem. Ditto for spiral stairs and the rest of the one piece staircases. Things like useable diagonals might be hard to spot during testing, but they could've fixed it by the time M&G came around. It took us that long just to get quarter tile placement, though, and I still need mods to do things like use an easel or watch TV from an angle. At least we finally got more flexible starting funds, so that larger families like the Capps can move into an appropriate house size.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO
XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Help 4 Creating An Aging Mod |Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | Kelyns on other forums
Lab Assistant
#5578 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 8:37 PM
Sometimes I think that Maxis made their houses purposely bad just to be annoying. Kind of like how they made the nannies not all that great at nannying. Otherwise, I can't account for their designs. Why do so many of their houses have bedrooms too small to accommodate a double bed?
Field Researcher
#5579 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturlington
Sometimes I think that Maxis made their houses purposely bad just to be annoying.

"I'm pretty sure LilSimsie is paying EA to make bad builds just so she can renovate them"

The weird thing is, the things that make maxis houses so weird and annoying are sometimes the things that are pretty much impossible to replicate! Have you tried to rebuild the roof on the Smith house at the part where those two windows stick out on the second floor? Or build the Pleasant house's roof from scratch? It's pretty much impossible! How they managed to make such bad design choices is just beyond me!

And what makes it even worse is that some houses, like the Goth mansion, the Capp manor (not the garden but the house itself), and Olive's house are actually really well designed, while others pretty much struggle existing at times.
Lab Assistant
#5580 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 10:54 PM
Sims constantly using the back door instead of the front door... is why is I always lock the back door.
Alchemist
#5581 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 3:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwinter_Knight77
Sims constantly using the back door instead of the front door... is why is I always lock the back door.

I just sell the front door and buy exact same at it's place. Sims will start use this as newest door.
Lab Assistant
#5582 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 4:14 AM
I knew there was some kind of trick, but I forgot what it was. I'll have to try that.
Field Researcher
#5583 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 4:27 AM
Or you can just have one access point, the front door or 2 front doors. That's why when I build my buildings, I put front door(s) only so sims have no choice but to use the front enterence(s).
Instructor
#5584 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 5:20 AM
Why is the BV camera view so off-center? Why not center it on the game screen? It makes no sense to be off to the left like it is, and it just makes it harder to try to center the camera when all the orientation functions center on the game screen.
Forum Resident
#5585 Old Yesterday at 4:24 PM
I've managed to add back doors to houses and even built apartments with secondary doors for entry and exit in my own scratch builds which was how I started with designing apartments because I knew the EA ones were so badly designed that it was far easier to build my own from scratch.I made my own apartment buildings to be much cheaper than owning a house for lower wealth sims and also for the low income crowd and have many designs that are fully subsidized including boarding houses that can house the most hard up families.
One other thing that always bothered me was not being able to have my sims eat anything for dinner back when I didn't have all of the packs and they had no cooking skill which meant owning no stove and the dinner aoptions required some skill at the very least as well as many needed a stove which meant unskilled cooks could only grab instant meal drinks without a hack to let all meal options be fixed at all mealtimes.I wished I had that hack in back then as it would've saved some sim lives after a few starved to death by going to bed hungry.
Scholar
#5586 Old Today at 4:34 AM
Well there's always pizza and gelatin. Plus cereal for breakfast. But if a poor sim is really desperate they can always go to a community lot and try stealing a townie's food when they order a meal. It's only fair--they do it to playables all the time.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO
XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Help 4 Creating An Aging Mod |Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | Kelyns on other forums
Lab Assistant
#5587 Old Today at 9:00 AM
There is also prepare - group meal or single plate, which let's you pick any meal, any time. I'm not sure which expansion it is, it would make sense with both Free Time cooking contests and Open for business shops.
Page 224 of 224