Replies: 24987 (Who?), Viewed: 677073 times.
Page 1000 of 1000
Field Researcher
#24976 Old Yesterday at 12:36 AM
Thanks everyone who has replied so far. It's been enlightening to get different player's feedback. It does seem as though there are several fairly common themes. One is that for varying reasons, people like starting with characters who already have some backstory and they enjoy playing that backstory and then replaying it while changing little (or big) things to see how that changes the story. And a second thing seems to be sharing a sense of community through the characters so that other players have some feel for what's happening and can better relate to what's going on in each version of similar neighborhoods.

I can easily understand the second one. I've played my custom Shape Island hood for more than 100 Sim days, well into the 4th generation with close to 200 Sims now, but I don't share details about it because no one else can relate to my Sim characters or storylines just as I can't relate to what's going on with the Brokes or Goths or Grunts since I don't know anything about them or the town. And the first one, replaying to see how the lives change, can be intriguing although like Simmer22, I'd probably get bored playing them for any length of time.

As BeckyBoo did, I started my hood from scratch. A lot of pre-planning went into it - creating 50 single adult CAS Sims to start with and the premise being these 50 were volunteers in a social experiment on an island without communication to others off of the island. So that's why they had no relationships or family ties to start with. They were blank slates trying to find compatible mates among the other volunteers (3-bolt rule) and then to see how their lives progressed from there.

Many of the storylines developed on their own - like one of the first single Gen 1 residents found herself unexpectedly pregnant and then upon having twins, wondering how she was going to be able to feed and clothe her babies and pay her pills once her leave ran out (no interaction allowed outside my playables) as she would have to either lose her job or lose her twins. She was already selling off her house furnishings when a fire from low cooking skill destroyed part of her kitchen making her situation quite dire. I honestly had no idea how things would unfold. And then in the middle of the night one of her previous relationships (not the father of her twins) dropped off a karaoke machine as thanks for a great date together (before the twins). The money she received from selling that random gift got her through the toughest times and also began a more serious relationship with the gift giver. Not planned and a heck of a story but not of that much interest to other players here other than anecdotally.

I don't get bored with my hood now that it's more established because with each rotation, there are baby Sims born, elder Sims dying and toddler, child and teen Sims aging up and establishing their own personalities. I've chronicled the lives of the residents through an imaginary reporter writing stories with pictures for their local newspaper (The Shape Island Reports) so that I can go back and read or reread what happened to them, their parents or even grandparents and recall what happened in the game several real-life years ago.

It has been helpful to gain insight into how others have played the original neighborhoods and how by doing that they find enjoyment with the game.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations
Scholar
#24977 Old Yesterday at 6:58 AM
Question on deleting files you've placed via scriptorium. I have stairs that I want to delete from my game that had a txt file I put in via scriptorium. I know where the scriptorium files are in the TSData files, my question is do I just delete those and the stairs file in the download folder? Seems kind of straightforward to me but I'm always suspicious of things that seem too easy.
Mad Poster
#24978 Old Yesterday at 2:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashfan
...do I just delete those and the stairs file in the download folder? Seems kind of straightforward...

Yup. That's all you do
...Easy-peasy Mac 'n Cheesey

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#24979 Old Yesterday at 3:47 PM
I'm tryin to decide if I want to have Crystal Vu in my ancestor beginnin hood (that hopefully I'll start soon :P). Crystal is a townie who's supposed to be the girlfriend of Lazlo Curious. As a townie she wasn't given any relatives or ancestors. I've not played Strangetown much so I'm not as familiar with it as I am with PV so I'm not sure how well the chemistry is between Crystal and Lazlo. What I seem to recall, hazy though it is, is that Crystal wasn't that into Lazlo. The pairing was more of just EAxis' messy doin's.

So I"m askin those who have played Strangetown did you keep the pairing of Lazlo and Crystal? Did you give Lazlo another girlfriend that had better chemistry?
Field Researcher
#24980 Old Yesterday at 3:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBrat
I'm tryin to decide if I want to have Crystal Vu in my ancestor beginnin hood (that hopefully I'll start soon :P). Crystal is a townie who's supposed to be the girlfriend of Lazlo Curious. As a townie she wasn't given any relatives or ancestors. I've not played Strangetown much so I'm not as familiar with it as I am with PV so I'm not sure how well the chemistry is between Crystal and Lazlo. What I seem to recall, hazy though it is, is that Crystal wasn't that into Lazlo. The pairing was more of just EAxis' messy doin's.

So I"m askin those who have played Strangetown did you keep the pairing of Lazlo and Crystal? Did you give Lazlo another girlfriend that had better chemistry?

I've done both. Their chemistry is not great, but Lazlo does have a crush or love with her, so if he wants a girlfriend, she is an obvious choice. When they were married, she gave him two gorgeous daughters and then died after the second one because she wouldn't eat. This time, I paired Lazlo with Erin Beaker, and they were awesome together. Constantly all over each other like teenagers. Crystal is fun to have around, though, because she does get around. In my current game, as a townie, she had brief affairs with both Vidcund and Tank, and she is now married to William Williamson. Also, if you move her in, she will be at the top of her career and bring a lot of expensive stuff with her.
Theorist
#24981 Old Yesterday at 4:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturlington
I've done both. Their chemistry is not great, but Lazlo does have a crush or love with her, so if he wants a girlfriend, she is an obvious choice. When they were married, she gave him two gorgeous daughters and then died after the second one because she wouldn't eat. This time, I paired Lazlo with Erin Beaker, and they were awesome together. Constantly all over each other like teenagers. Crystal is fun to have around, though, because she does get around. In my current game, as a townie, she had brief affairs with both Vidcund and Tank, and she is now married to William Williamson. Also, if you move her in, she will be at the top of her career and bring a lot of expensive stuff with her.

I will not be playin Strangehood as EAxis shipped. I'm setting up the beginning Pleasantview, Bluewater, Strangetown, Bin households, and SSU households together. It won't have any premade townies that are not part of the premade storyline, such as I will have Kaylynn Langerak and her extended family. I was curious if I should include Crystal Vu as she is sorta part of the Lazlo's story. I'm on the fence 'bout addin her and a family to the rest as my hazy memory when I played they didn't seem to have that hot of a romance for it to be somethin that should be included. That's why I was askin those who have played ST if they felt the two had a good chemistry. I know every game/ play is different.. just lookin for opinions

Thanks for yours though btw
Mad Poster
#24982 Old Yesterday at 4:45 PM
Crystal was not at the top of her career and did not have a lot of expensive stuff when she married Lazlo in my broken Strangetown. She and Lazlo are struggling the hardest of the three Curious brother households, even though they only have one child.

However, I adore her. She is low on nice points and uses this grouchiness to confront anybody who disrespects her family. She was the first outsider to tackle the role of Woman in Charge of the Curiousi and she tackled it to the ground. The first time she came over she latched onto Pascal's daughter Mitchella and wouldn't let go, and Mitchie has grown up viewing Crystal as her mother figure over and above Jenny, Pascal's wife Christy, and Vidcund's wife Monica all put together. Like most of my Fortune sims she rolls only reasonable and moderate wants to buy things, regular systematic wants for the skill points that will earn her promotions, personal wants for those she loves, and one hobby want per day - she has taken up sewing and will get curtains in all the rooms eventually, though she also made teddy bears for her niblings and son, and had to stop and make winter clothes at one point. (Pay the exorbitant rates for shoddy off-the-rack stuff at 88? She doesn't think so!) She is best friends with Mary Gavigan, and is the only one in town in on the secret of the identity of her second child's father, though now that little Eve is out and about in town I don't think it'll remain a secret long. Crystal gossips autonomously very little, even compared to shy sims like Pascal and Nervous. If you want a steadying influence for Lazlo, as opposed to a burning grand passion or someone to encourage his childlike nature into elderhood, I can't recommend Crystal too highly.

In short - as with all townies, a lot depends on how you play and how they play for you.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#24983 Old Yesterday at 5:00 PM
The first time I played Strangetown, Crystal married Ajay Loner's son, Cameron. At the time, I was only playing the one household and didn't realize Crystal was supposed to be involved with Lazlo. However, she had no problems accepting Cameron's advances - unlike Johnny Smith, who was attached enough to Ophelia to resist the advances of Cameron and Crystal's daughter Elizabeth - so I would say she's not really that into Lazlo.

Lazlo never married in that iteration. His only close relationship was with Buck Grunt, and I'd already set things up for Buck to marry Jill Smith.
Field Researcher
#24984 Old Yesterday at 5:13 PM
Quote:
I will not be playin Strangehood as EAxis shipped. I'm setting up the beginning Pleasantview, Bluewater, Strangetown, Bin households, and SSU households together. It won't have any premade townies that are not part of the premade storyline, such as I will have Kaylynn Langerak and her extended family. I was curious if I should include Crystal Vu as she is sorta part of the Lazlo's story. I'm on the fence 'bout addin her and a family to the rest as my hazy memory when I played they didn't seem to have that hot of a romance for it to be somethin that should be included. That's why I was askin those who have played ST if they felt the two had a good chemistry. I know every game/ play is different.. just lookin for opinions

Thanks for yours though btw

Gotcha. I would add her, even if you don't put her with Lazlo. She's a unique townie, and more interesting than a lot of them. There are a lot of possibilities for her beyond just being matched up with Lazlo.

I've moved her in twice--both times she was at the top of her career, but I guess that could be randomized and I just got lucky.
Top Secret Researcher
#24985 Old Yesterday at 9:18 PM
Agree with sturlington on moving Crystal in--my general rule of thumb for situations like that is to include all townies and npcs that have a relationship with a playable, and she fits this. You can always add backstory and ancestors for her. I know some simmers make townies with the same last name related. If it were me, I'd probably start a new dummy version of Strangetown, or open up an old save, and see if any other townies shared her last name. Then I'd look at which other townies she had relationships with. If she's friends with any elders, that could mean they're a parent or mentor--perhaps she was adopted and that's why she doesn't share a last name. I'd also look at relationships with those younger than her--those could be siblings or distant relatives. I'd write all those things down and then recreate them in the beginnings hood.

@HobbesED, idk. I think it depends on the story and the writer. While it's certainly easier to use premades, you can write about custom hoods. After all, that's kinda what legacies are, usually. Except for the occasional familiar townie and npc faces, or simselves, everyone would be unique. And if you weren't playing using a particular ruleset, just a regular legacy, then yeah, all unique sims to get to know, a new town to learn about. It'd be like following someone who's doing a BACC. But I can understand why some might not want to go to the trouble. That's what I miss about the old TS2 site and the exchange. It was much easier to find a community of writers and to follow along with certain simmers. I know there are communities all over the place and even some simmers continuing to document their hoods on tumblr, but it just feels very disjointed and harder to find. And if a simmer doesn't use tags and/or set up page links, it's hard to get into. Anyway, my point is I think people would be interested in reading about your hood. I found that little bit you shared fascinating, anyway.

My question: I'm trying to get Consort to invite all his grandchildren on vacation but not all of them show up in the dialog box. He definitely knows everyone and they're all kids or up now, too. Desdemona shows up but not Ariel, even though they're both kids and Hal shows up but not Miranda, even though they're both teens. Does he need to be friends with them or something? I was hoping to work on that during the trip.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | Kelyns on other forums
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24986 Old Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Quote:

I suggest asking on the story Delima thread. https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=583357

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#24987 Old Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Phantomknight, I move the kids in by teleporter cat for him to take on vacation, then move them back to their parents' home the same way. I'd rather have them properly playable. That might or might not help you out, though.

CaliBrat, if you ever played SimCity, Dr. Vu was referenced as a villain. https://simcity.fandom.com/wiki/Dr._Vu So Crystal Vu is a bit of an in-series reference for fans. Also Dr. Vu's carpet. I'd keep her, but she doesn't have good chemistry with Lazlo. She could be the notorious Dr. Vu's daughter, sister, ex . . . whatever would work for your story.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Top Secret Researcher
#24988 Old Yesterday at 11:50 PM
Sunbee, that's a perfect work around, thank you! I have the pets cheats on, so I wasn't worried about them being controllable, but yeah that'll work well. And then I also don't have to worry about funds if I want them to buy some vacation clothes or mementos, as they can just use their grandfather's money. Hal could even get that new cellphone he's been wanting.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | Kelyns on other forums
Page 1000 of 1000