Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Mar 2020 at 3:14 AM
Default Nvidia Geforce 750m with Sims 3
Hi there. So I'm currently thinking about getting a new laptop and I was looking at some macbook pros (that currently what I have now and would like to stick with it since I use fcpx and imovie a lot) I found one macbook pro that has a nvidia geforce 750m graphics and i want to make sure that the game will run the game with no issues with it (mainly being able to run with little lag with a ton of cc...about 30 gb of cc). I play the game on the windows side of my mac so the game should read that I'm playing as a windows user and not mac so the graphics will appear much different. I'm currently trying to bid on the laptop but I would hate to bid on it, get it, and then my game doesn't work
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Mar 2020 at 4:00 AM
It's on the low end of graphics cards, speaking from a modern perspective. It's only marginally more powerful than the best cards that were available when TS3 came out in 2009. But comparing it to the GTX 650 I had around 2012, it's not all that much worse. In fact, my GTX 650 generally ran TS3 very well on the highest settings. So I think you could pull it off, but be aware this card (and it's actually just a chip, I should say) is pretty much ancient by GPU standards.

In short: yes you can run it and probably at maximum settings. But don't be surprised if it can't handle everything you want to do, even within TS3.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Mar 2020 at 6:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
My bigger concern in your setup is running it on a Mac.

A Mac running Windows as the OP describes, presumably through Bootcamp, is the same as running the game with similar hardware on any other computer running Windows. It's the Mac version of the game for the macOS that is crippled, not the hardware by definition, but the OP wouldn't be installing or playing that version. At the time that Macbook Pro was produced, it would have been the higher end of the range as it does have a moderately capable dedicated graphics card as opposed to integrated like the lower end ones would have had.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Mar 2020 at 3:47 AM
thank you all so much for replying so quickly. so my next question would be is if this graphics is better than Intel graphics 4000 (that's what I currently have) i have until tomorrow to possibly get the laptop before some else does and I would hate if it's equivalent in speed to the Intel graphics and i just bought a new laptop for nothing
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Mar 2020 at 6:26 AM
Certainly a 750M is better, but one also has to wonder about the age and condition of this laptop. We aren't talking about new machines here at all, and we have no idea when looking at used equipment how heavily it has been used and how much life is really left in these components.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Mar 2020 at 10:06 PM
Ok thank you all again. I didn't get that laptop but I have come across another one but this time the graphics is intel iris plus graphics 640 1536 mb. I'm always skeptical of intel graphics since what i have now is intel graphics 4000 and my game is pretty much unplayable now (running at about 5 to 15 fps) so would the intel iris plus graphics be better than what i have now? would it be able to run the game at high settings and I don't really use expansions packs but if I do I use about 3 at a time. Would it be able to handle all of that?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 13th Mar 2020 at 10:26 PM
Intel Iris Plus is still integrated. It may be better than the older 4000, but only marginally so. You may not notice more than a subtle improvement on the Windows side, if any. The current and more recent Macs that come with capable dedicated graphics cards are the ones with AMD Radeons. But they are (or were when they were new) higher priced than the Intel-only models.