Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 11th Oct 2021 at 9:49 PM Last edited by andes : 13th Oct 2021 at 6:13 PM.
Well, I try to do my best entertaining myself, even if it sometimes takes some imagination.

Here is one of my castles, small but probably more sturdy than the mentioned one; it's for a noble family, placed in the middle of nowhere in Windenburg:

I am now trying to come up with some theme for the lot Kiyomatsu Point, in Komorebi - what have you built/placed there? And is it easier to build during summer not totally blinded by the snow in build mode?

EDIT: I went with untouched nature, a foresty lake area with sprites and magical beings.

Encountered this bug: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...ms/td-p/9731143

Solved it by drawing walls on basement level around the pool.
I switched to night time in build mode to spare my eyes the brightness, worked okay.

Edit 2: Done. Haunted House Residential, IL lot trait spirits, some pond features, OR bug spawners, lots of trees; and here's a fairy for you Hamishmc :p
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 17th Oct 2021 at 12:41 PM
Almost done with Komorebi setup, only one snowy lot left that I'm savng for when we get werewolves, for it to inhabit. Made a silly build on the summit - for my inner eye I was picturing the mythological mountain that is a fire breathing dragon, lava lakes waiting to be awakened, with a little temple on top. It turned out okey, I think I could spend much more time on it, but it's just for the mountaneers and the guardians of the mountain, so I didn't really want to bother with it so much.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#28 Old 21st Oct 2021 at 1:47 PM Last edited by andes : 21st Oct 2021 at 2:38 PM.
Built a lot, designated residential but aimed to be used as a protestantic church, with the sim priest and his husband, the deacon, living in the little annex. I wanted it to look like a simple stone church, common where I live, and to be mainly for their club of giving speaches and so on. Toddler's can be washed in a sink, which made me laugh, since I used one for the baptismal font, they just do the swirl though. I got the inspiration for the curved entrance path from this thread and post (#218) https://modthesims.info/showthread....683#post5783683

Encountered this bug: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...ms/td-p/9717274
It happened for the flat room piece for me, not just plattforms. The workaround in post #15 worked for me.
Since there are many issues with rounded corners and the bug report is too specific for no reason, and I also had a bug where placing a curved plattform against a wall made the wall disappear, and redrawing the wall made the plattform disappear - something that did not happened for the other shaped plattforms - I made a separate bug report for that (on EA Help website). ETA: What solved that was to make a plattform on freestanding ground (not in the house); add walls where they disappear; then pick it all up and place it where it was supposed to be.

Also encountered this bug: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...-w/td-p/9076818
Exiting the game and reloading solved it for me.
Since I didn't have a foundation (then), I made a new bug report (at EA Help website). The bug report at AHQ was too specific.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 12:03 AM Last edited by andes : 25th Oct 2021 at 10:55 AM.
I'm making Sissinghurst Castle Garden, a TS4 version of it at least. I'll have sim Vita Sackville-West live there with lots of roommates visiting my literature café as background folk.

Edit 2: It's coming along. I've stopped looking at pictures of the original now and just went mad with the paths.

Edit 3: Done. By making enclosed areas when sketching the lot design I inadvertently got the room decor buff and dust features to apply in the garden areas; but that was easily fixed by opening the fence/deleting one tile piece in it, and placing a tree there to hinder sims and foxes to take that route. I went totally nuts in debug trying to simulate the 'vertical and horisontal english garden' typical of the original.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#30 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 4:45 PM Last edited by andes : 27th Oct 2021 at 8:08 AM.
I want to change the build on the lot Von Haunt Estate, in Windenburg, but I don't know what to change it into. The lot assignment is locked ("chalet gardens"), which I'm fine with, but that means that I cannot really design it according to a venue specification with any particular features. I haven't played around with the ghosts Mimsy and Bernard, but I'd like to build on that theme, and on the ground's aesthetics - the maze and garden part of it. In my world the neighbourhood is a middle ground area, in transit between old and new, steady sims stuck in their ways, conservative and breaking with the old, introducing new ways.

Any ideas? Has anyone changed anything about this lot; or used it in any particular way? What have you done with it?

Edit: I decided to leave it mostly how it is, just adapt the colour scheme better to the surroundings, and open up the museum rope in strategic places to make the furniture accessible to the ghosts. I'll take over the Knights of the Hedge club, and only invite ghosts to it; I also applied lot trait Spooky to really liven the place up. In the attic I placed a couple of necessities, and some things inspired by the ghost inhabitants' notifications. I didn't get all of them in-game, but found them in the files and'll put them under a spoiler for those who like me want some context for building and don't care if it's on the last page of the book.

Encountered this bug:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...55/td-p/8267183

I had my sim stay on the lot until next holiday with a set decor, which switched it out; and then stayed on the lot until that holiday was over, for that one to go away. There are other workarounds in the thread. I'll send my save. Click Me Too and send your save to the SimGuru asking for it in the thread, if you experience the bug.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 7:37 AM Last edited by andes : 29th Oct 2021 at 8:06 AM.
This forum is so quiet! Where are all the builders..?

I made a bookstore with the intention of having it run by a sim both writing and selling their own books, and putting up for sale other sim authors' books. Since books automatically are placed in inventory, they sort of belong to the sim though, and so a specific method was necessary to let the game put them up for sale. I'm writing it here for others benefit:

Put In World – the book is returned to personal inventory with a notification upon leaving the lot
Sims can visit store owned by other sim, and leave books by Put Away (like on lot Library); but these books cannot be set for sale since they are not owned by the retail owner.

Put Away on unowned retail lot – sim puts in bookshelf and/or storage - can be dragged to shelf and Put For Sale when retail has been bought by other sim.

Owner have to do this routine with own books: Put Away book, leave lot; return, drag book from storage/bookshelf to store shelf, and Set For Sale - if the book is set for sale directly without first leaving the lot, the book returns to personal inventory upon leaving lot.

Other sim authors when active, can Gift.. books to book retail owner. Upon loading the book retail owner household, that sim then has to do the same routine as with their own written books: Put Away at store, leave lot; return, drag to shelf, Set For Sale.

Owner can write books while in store, then Put Away, and go home. Set for sale when returning to store works.

Edit:
Here is a bug report made for it, click Me Too and post in the thread to surface it if you want The Sims Team to look into it and change the behaviour:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...op/td-p/8518266
Mad Poster
#32 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andes
This forum is so quiet! Where are all the builders..?

There is a specific section on this site for builds, so maybe post there? There may be builders who will find posts there that do not frequent this section for various reasons.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#33 Old 29th Oct 2021 at 2:34 PM
Yes, thank you, I checked that section out before I made this thread, and the threads made there were really old, so it didn't seem like anyone reads it. This thread I also made, more wanting chat and random statement about builds; not questions and promotion, as it mostly seems to be there. I think there is an idea of what a 'builder' is, when it comes the sims games, but I mainly think of it in terms of 'liking to make virtual houses', not so much adding professionalism to it.
I sort of wanted anyone who makes anything in the game to feel welcome to post, and voilà - the general discussion. I think the visits to the forum all over is rather sparse though.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#34 Old 2nd Nov 2021 at 9:53 PM
Finally finished my grave yard that I begun building a long time ago. So many graves and debug grass and small items to place, puh. I'm very pleased with the build though, Haunted House Residential, lot trait Spooky, with a resident grave digger, and six ghost roommates, and one skeleton. I'll place any sim I care about that dies through gameplay there, and let the grave keeper strengthen their bond to this life; and also send my sims there to celebrate All Hallows Eve.

Here's my Glimmerbrook testing sim dancing with Guidry in the entrance to the crypt.
Screenshots
Scholar
#35 Old 13th Nov 2021 at 3:15 PM
I don't know if it's relevant to the thread but after seeing this video a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn9SzkMLwwU I did decide to try some things out. After a few moments of "trial and error" I was able to create this pool.

And it really works as a pool and a fountain!

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#36 Old 13th Nov 2021 at 3:32 PM
It looks lovely. It looks like the fountain that sims can drop coins in as well, to get a little happy moodlet, I usually place those to get some interaction as well as decor. The video was pleasant to watch too, concise and pedagogical and without chatter. And it's definately relevant to the thread.
Page 2 of 2