Replies: 7 (Who?), Viewed: 3509 times.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2009 at 10:30 PM Last edited by MogHughson : 5th May 2011 at 10:53 PM.
Default SOLVED: Load Order
I've seen some comments about load order, but never quite worked out what it's all about - anyone have any links to explanations about it.

I assume it is where two packages update the same BHAV and how to get a specific one to be the one that is actually used.

I have been asked to make a version of a mod of mine that doesn't clash with another and so I need to make sure that my mod (which will contain the combined clashing BHAV) is loaded first/last (whichever it is) to ensure it is the one used.

So, any help appreciated.

Cheers
Mog

SOLVED: Answer now can be read here: Load Orderwiki

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Advertisement
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd May 2011 at 4:13 PM
Bumping as I am sure someone must know the answer and this post is now too many pages back.

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#3 Old 2nd May 2011 at 4:14 PM
Hi Mog _ I am pretty sure Boiling Oil will know the answer - i will post on leefish to ask him.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Scholar
#4 Old 2nd May 2011 at 9:13 PM
Here's the thing. Sometimes, two mods with different functions, each alter a number of BHAV routines. Now it MAY occur that one BHAV is altered by BOTH mods, in each case to get a different effect. Obviously, those mods can't both work! For any routines they have in common, the one that loads LAST overwrites the ones that loaded earlier.

Now there are two possibilities:

1. If the changes to the BHAV are important for other parts of both mods, then the mod loading first will NOT be able to function correctly, and we call this an unresolvable conflict. One will have to choose: use either of the mods, but NOT both!
2. However, if the changes to this one BHAV are NOT important to other parts of both mods, then you have a third choice: you can load both, but the one that loads LAST, decides which version of this one BHAV will be in effect.

In some cases, a mod is created to complement another, or to improve upon it. Like my Feed Baby mod and some of its plug-ins. The trick here is, that the main mod needs all the BHAVs that are included in it, and these BHAVs need to be exactly the way they were written. However, for the plug-ins to work properly, SOME of those BHAVs need to be expanded. So the plug-ins contain different, expanded versions of a few of the BHAVs that are also found in the main module. Now obviously, if the main module loaded last, the plug-ins' versions of those BHAVs would not be called, rendering said plug-ins inoperative.

So, in this case, the conflict is INTENTIONAL, and the author of the mod supplies instructions for the load-order, in order to ensure the proper functioning of all parts of the mod.

Load order is normally settled very simply (at least on NTFS drives): all sub-folders of Downloads are read in alphabetical order, and the packages within each folder are also sorted by alphabet. So, for example: if you keep my Feed Baby mod and the accompanying plug-ins together in one folder, they'll load in a specific order depending on the names they were given. I've purposely named them such that they load in a correct order. However, if you were to put the plug-ins in sub-folder A, and the main module in sub-folder B, then the main module would load AFTER the plug-ins, and stuff would NOT work as intended.

HCDU (the Hack Conflict Detection Utility, as created by Paladin, and available at www.simwardrobe.com) will find all mods that conflict with each other, and lists them in the order in which they currently load. So if the load order is wrong, you can see from HCDU's report what to change to make it work correctly. Many modders rely on info from this utility to determine IF conflicts can be solved, and HOW. That's why, when users report problems, modders often ask the player to run HCDU and share the report.

Does this help??

Oh, one last example: TwoJeffs often creates his mods in such a way that they're required to load AFTER anything that Pescado may have made. So TwoJeffs recommends that you put all of Pescado's mods in the folder Pescado, and all ot TJ's mods in the folder TwoJeffs. This way, TJ's mods load AFTER anything Pescado has made. In a similar manner, my mods are often best placed in a folder named zzBoilingOil. :D
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd May 2011 at 9:26 PM
Yes that helps hugely.

I need to make a version of my parking mod which currently clashes with CTP on one BHAV. If I update the clashing BHAV using CTP as a starting point, then I need to make sure that my version of the BHAV (which would include updates from both mods) loads LAST. Then I can give instructions to the people who want to use both to ensure mine loads LAST and they should be all good.

P.S. I will add this information to the wiki for future reference - hope you don't mind?

Scholar
#6 Old 2nd May 2011 at 9:41 PM
Not at all, dear. Go right ahead! The more people know about this kind of stuff, the less question we modders get about it, and the better we can construct our mods to do exactly what we want them to do.

In fact, I did something similar with my Food Dish Autonomy mod to make it work with your "Simply Leftovers"
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd May 2011 at 10:54 PM
Gosh - how many automonous food dish mods are there? I got a clash noted with AncientHighway's version and since they were no longer modding I made my own version which didn't clash with Simply Leftovers and put it here on MTS as Autonomous Put Away Leftovers. I will make note of yours in my threads as an alternative that doesn't clash.

Scholar
#8 Old 2nd May 2011 at 11:47 PM
Yeah, I know how many versions there are. I found at least three or four different ones, including yours, when I was doing research for my own version, which does a lot more than just modify the way left-overs are stored. It also handles cleaning up and takes into account the type of lot one is playing It even plays nice with Inge Jones' ijStoveNPCAlwaysPatch, making sure that any lot where the Dorm Cook (or Lunch Lady) works will be handled as if it were a Dorm.