Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 11:54 AM
Default Custom Major showing up as "Undeclared" on Diploma and more.
I just finished making my custom university major and everything works and is perfect, except for two little things:

Klara *did* start out at a higher level in Show Biz (Level 6), just like a regular Drama major would. (Drama = the career I based the custom off of.) The skills work, the icons, name and description work, etc.

Except that:

1) When I click for the major's details while they are working on their major, I cannot see the "Ideal Careers".
2) The diploma, when read, says "Undeclared", just like what happens when you forget to assign a student a major and use the college adjustor to skip past the Junior stage.

I tested this major with the college adjustor and tested ALL levels without skipping and it doesn't automatically push me to the Philosophy major.

I also used Nysha's custom major tutorial. These seem to be mostly minor inconveniences, but I want this to be as perfect as possible, so is there a way to turn "Undeclared" to "custommajorname" and have the ideal career icons show up?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 8:57 PM
I haven't gone into the world of major creating yet, I've only created one career, so I might not be the best person to help and I really hope someone else with a bit more knowledge will jump in! However, I do have a couple of questions that might help you figure out the problem sooner
- Did you assign a new GUID to the major? It sounds as if it still has the Drama GUID and that's why there is an advantage for the Show Biz career. Or was this your intention?
- How did you attempt to link the major to careers, and do you want to link it to a custom career or maxis careers?
This is what Phaenoh said in her tutorial, so my guess is that it is impossible: "Echo has also determined that without a bunch of global rewriting, we can't link custom majors to the maxis jobs, so please don't ask us."
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Klaartje68
I haven't gone into the world of major creating yet, I've only created one career, so I might not be the best person to help and I really hope someone else with a bit more knowledge will jump in! However, I do have a couple of questions that might help you figure out the problem sooner
- Did you assign a new GUID to the major? It sounds as if it still has the Drama GUID and that's why there is an advantage for the Show Biz career. Or was this your intention?
- How did you attempt to link the major to careers, and do you want to link it to a custom career or maxis careers?
This is what Phaenoh said in her tutorial, so my guess is that it is impossible: "Echo has also determined that without a bunch of global rewriting, we can't link custom majors to the maxis jobs, so please don't ask us."

Thank you for responding, "non-expert" help is better than no help at all!

Yes, I did assign a custom GUID, even filled in the new GUID in Orig and Fallback, like Nysha's tutorial told me to. I didn't link any careers to the major, because as Phaenoh said, "Major to career = impossible without global rewriting." I think the custom major career-links to the careers that the default linked to, which was Drama.
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 11:41 PM
I've browsed a bit through MTS and found the following major by eliseluong: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=498559. If you want to link your custom major to a custom career, I'd suggest you try and contact her to ask her for more information about linking the two. She reports the same thing that you have noticed, that the custom major links to the maxis career that the major was cloned from. I haven't found a tutorial for linking custom major to custom career yet, so would be curious to know how she did that. As for your other issues, I think I might go and try to make my own custom major somewhere this weekend. That is something I wanted to learn anyways, so until someone else swoops in with expert help, I will see how far I'll get before pulling my hair out :D
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 3:15 AM
I PMed her a few days ago, but I haven't received a response yet. I hope there is somebody out there who knows why my career is showing up as "Undeclared" and with the careers not showing, hopefully, they will come and answer this thread.