Replies: 1248 (Who?), Viewed: 70914 times. | Locked by: justJones Reason: Contest completed
Page 12 of 50
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#276 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 6:50 AM
Thanks Qahne that's interesting to know. When I did that lot up I didn't realize it was going to be judged, I just thought it was an application round. Get in something fast so you are on the board for the beginning of the real rounds.

What are the suggested 'wall motifs' mentioned? or is that a secret.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#277 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 6:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
(...)What are the suggested 'wall motifs' mentioned? or is that a secret.
Ah, now that you can put me in boiling water for.

It was a copy/paste error from the first town contract, when I was adding in the application round. I didn't remove the "wall motifs". Since there wasn't any, the judges would disregard that portion, and instead focus on the theme aspect being a temporary office space. Although I never mentioned to each judge that there wasn't a particular wall motif, I believe they understood that portion of the judging anyhow. I was also under the impression that every round is judged and scored, so I did that to the application round.

Perhaps I didn't get that the application round didn't have to be judged. However, it was a good exercise in the questionings that would come up before the real game began. And since the application round wasn't the real meat of the game, contenders can see how scoring is presented.
Scholar
#278 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 7:09 AM
Quote:
Thanks Qahne that's interesting to know. When I did that lot up I didn't realize it was going to be judged, I just thought it was an application round. Get in something fast so you are on the board for the beginning of the real rounds.

No need to rush anything, all five judges are always on the board. I only start judging once all the entries are in, and I think it's the same for the other judges, so you all have ten days to do your best.

The application round was good practice for both the kind of challenges you'd be facing as well as the judging and scoring process. Now that it's a bit more clear, I think it'll be much tougher competition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Mad Poster
#279 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 7:54 AM
I have already learned a LOT from this first round. Also, I find the competition very interesting. I have no idea how to make a shack that looks good (and poor) from the outside - but I am looking forward to the challenge
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#280 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 8:03 AM
Just reading over the rules for this round

Must we all use that wall on the outside of the house?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#281 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 8:36 AM
Good question, Jo - I have interpreted it more as that a brick wall is needed - but I'd also like to know now
Mad Poster
#282 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 9:09 AM
It says you'll incur a penalty of §2,500 if you don't use it for at least two thirds of the exterior walls. (See under Penalties.) Of course you may consider it worth paying that penalty to achieve the effect you seek. It's not the cheapest wall covering either.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Scholar
#283 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 9:25 AM
I have to say that the scoring system was clear and simple enough for me. But I do have a Maths degree
And legalese is just fine, I'm used to it.
My problem is that sometimes I don't understand plain English

Seriously I must be the contestant with the silliest questions, but... What is exactly a terrain improvement?
"We suggest that you do not improve the terrain of the land͵ due to tax implications for the residents nearby."
Of course no cute garden for the shack, sure, or is the terrain tool completely forbidden? Should we leave it untouched and create our landscape on that terrain or as far as it does not look rich is fine?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#284 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 11:37 AM
Good spotting Andrew, I'm just plain bad at reading these days it seems. But that foundation can go right? Why is it there?

I thought terrain improvements meant grass or a ponds.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#285 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 12:27 PM Last edited by Justpetro : 22nd Jan 2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
I think I am getting the hang of it now. Thank you, Andrew - I, of course, neglected to read the penalties - no excuse for that (perhaps too much fruit juice?)) - and thought of my husband who always used to say: "If all else fails, read the instructions." So reading the instructions will be my motto from now on!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#286 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 12:59 PM
My dad always says that, trouble is I'm the "Look, I bet this bit goes here and here" type *starts putting thing together* while my husband sits patiently reading all of the instructions first.

Can we use CFE if the ground still looks flat once we are done? I need it to make my sign and at least one other item.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#287 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 3:59 PM
For people to whom the math is completely confusing. The way to look at it is like this.

1. You want to make as much money as you can - so your coffer getting bigger is good.
Coffer = End Coffer R0 + the Money given to your construction company (R1 = 50K)
The End Coffer R0 = 5th column on the score table.
Don't worry about the maths - Quahne, me, and I suspect d_dgjdhh all have maths degrees, and we will make sure the maths is correct.

2. As long as you have enough money in the coffer, you can build what you like - subject to the contract.
Everyone has enough money. So at this point you can spend what you like - HOWEVER:

3. It is SUPER IMPORTANT that you stick to the value of the lot as it is mentioned in the contract.
That is what the client can afford - which is what you're building. So stick to making the house for 20K or under.

Simthing for everyone

"No Boom Today. Boom Tomorrow. Always Boom Tomorrow" - Ivanova (B5)
Having trouble with the Graphics card and Sims2? Feel free to pm me here, or in this forum at Leefish Sims 2 Graphic Cards
Scholar
#288 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 5:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celebkiriedhel
Don't worry about the maths - Quahne, me, and I suspect d_dgjdhh all have maths degrees, and we will make sure the maths is correct.

I almost failed high school maths, but I do have an abacus, so don't panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Mad Poster
#289 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 6:44 PM
Quote:
I thought terrain improvements meant grass or a ponds.
Quote:
Can we use CFE if the ground still looks flat once we are done? I need it to make my sign and at least one other item.
Well, certainly an immaculate lawn at the front of the property is a bad idea -- you don't want anything like that where the Property Tax Assessor might see it! And a pond is probably an improvement, but a puddle might not be. The distinction is subtle. I doubt if you could really call a midden heap an improvement either.

I wouldn't know where to start with CFE, but it is available in the vanilla game without any hacks or mods, so I guess it's ok. As I understand it, the point is not to use terrain tools in any way that would make the lot look more attractive, as that might lead to higher property taxes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_dgjdhh
You may not install additional exterior lamp posts near the sidewalk area. The city will bill residents of poor & very poor class inhabitants who use more than the necessary number of lamp posts provided by the city. However͵ you may affix exterior lighting on the walls of the house͵ if needed.

Is this arrangement, with a lamp mounted on a fence post, rather than a wall ok?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Lab Assistant
#290 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 6:51 PM
Yeah on the subject of Math, coming from the kid who's in Uni right now studying it, and OH MY GOD DO I EVER HATE IT. But that's a different story, it's all just basic business running numbers, so I would recommend operating as if you have tight budgets and make sure you're all aware as your spending, since the prices of these rounds are being judged as well don't forget!

Also, sorry for not being alive recently, as I mentioned before, school. But I am still making the effort to check-in! I just am busy usually Tuesdays through Thursdays, so I barely check my computer really, otherwise for school posts and all. Don't worry deosn't mean I won't forget about judging, I still made the effort to check-in, but clearly I forgot to this week x] ... Anyhow, I also don't do THAT MUCH math, cause I'm planning on switching out and all, so it's great that we got an insight! I have my sights set on transferring into Architecture, clearly since you can see the inspiration which I draw from...

Call me Seth!
Alchemist
#291 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 8:09 PM Last edited by ekrubynaffit : 24th Jan 2016 at 6:46 PM.
Last night there was a big meeting at the 'SRED' building. They wanted to make something for the poorer part of town, that looked nice, was cost effective yet not quite landscaped so not to make the taxes increase.

Alot of ideas were thrown around, and then one worker bee came up with the perfect design! He said:

'To build one wall costs $70, while to build one block of foundation costs $4, let's raise the foundation, gut it and in this way we can save thousands, while being able to add a lot inside AND keep our build under $16,000'

They tested this theory first building using all walls for the shell the build alone came to over $9000. Then they tested a mixture of raised foundation and walls, the build itself came to just under $4000! With this cost effective saving idea SRED think they're onto a good thing.

This little house has a kitchen, bathroom, dinette, lounge, bedroom and little room off the bedroom for a nursery. It has a source of heating, a fire alarm and a phone. It came in under budget at §15950

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#292 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 8:56 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 22nd Jan 2016 at 9:12 PM.
I started out with the assumption that I was on a super tight budget and have continued that with this lot as well. While not finished I am onto the 'garden'.

So it's okay to use terrain tools to make the lot look worse? Is it okay to make dirt driveway tracks?

~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
staff: moderator
#293 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 8:59 PM
I think so, Jo, just don't make it look 'better', if that makes sense!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#294 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 9:11 PM
This is most definitely not going to look better.

Tiff, your place is so lovely, I am once again second guessing my horrible abode. Onward!

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#295 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 10:00 PM
YAY! For scores and for the new round! Sorry, I've been out sick the last few days...
I think I know what I'm going to build Now I just have to remember what I did to get the correct prices in my AGS - take everything out of my BINs folder, I think?
Jo - mine will have tire-tracks, definitely.
Tiff - WOW! You're fast! That looks so cute

OK. After hitting up the juice bar (plain old OJ this time, please?) I'll get right to work.

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Constant Contestant
staff: moderator
#296 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 10:41 PM
Mine is built, I just need to take the images

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#297 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 10:57 PM
I'm trying to do something with CFE but it isn't wanting to work, anyone know some good tutorials?

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#298 Old 22nd Jan 2016 at 11:27 PM
Quote:
I'm trying to do something with CFE but it isn't wanting to work, anyone know some good tutorials?

All depends on what you're trying to do Jo.

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#299 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 12:28 AM
I pm'ed Zev and got the experts help!

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#300 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 2:57 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 23rd Jan 2016 at 4:03 AM.
Okay, just came home from work. Let's see...

Quote:
(...)Must we all use that wall on the outside of the house?

Yes, for at least 2/3 of the exterior walls, that design of brick wall.

Quote:
(...)But that foundation can go right? Why is it there?(...)

The foundation and wall and stairs were there to demonstrate the approved design choices for the lot...although the contract is more picky over the wall design. If you choose to use those design of stairs and foundations, you can. If not, you can do that too. The wall design choice was more a concern for the local neighborhood. You "can" in theory not use the design for most of your house, but then you'll incur a penalty.

Quote:
(...)Can we use CFE if the ground still looks flat once we are done?(...)

Yes, you may use CFE. It was fine from the previous round, we will allow it in this round. Additionally, for all future contracts, CFE is not restricted.

Quote:
(...)So it's okay to use terrain tools to make the lot look worse? Is it okay to make dirt driveway tracks?

Yes, that's fine, you can sculpt the land, and add more soil to make the lot look worse, if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amura
(...)What is exactly a terrain improvement?

Anything regarding making the landscape better than the brown soiled look that it already is. You may sculpt in, in the sense that there's mounds of dirt everywhere. You may add more soil spots around the property. Green lawns or grass is discouraged, but may be tolerable for small spots here and there...to what extent? That's subjective. Better to sculpt and add soil than to add grass, to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
(...)Is this arrangement, with a lamp mounted on a fence post, rather than a wall ok?

Yes, that's okay.

Okay, I probably missed some questions, let me know what else you'd like to know.

I'm pleased to see that many of you are more at ease with the way this contest is working out. I can see many of you responding with the correct notions without me having to come in to clarify. Congrats to you all!

Page 12 of 50