Replies: 21 (Who?), Viewed: 2640 times.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 4:35 PM
Default For those who have their own adoption system in the game, what do you do with multiples? (Twins, triplets etc)
Do you make sure they get adopted together or is it every child for themselves?

I had a sim who recently chose to give up her baby and she ended up having quads. They're all at the adoption agency now but I'm not sure how I should deal with them later if someone were to look into adopting. I mean how often do couples adopt four babies/children at once? The only situation I can think of is if four siblings were looking to adopt and they each took one so they could still somewhat grow up together.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 4:50 PM
I don't currently have an in-game adoption system, but if I did I think that I'd try to place multiples/siblings together, but if that wasn't possible I'd place them with separate families. I would also consider foster care rather than adoption - some foster carers do take in multiple children from the same family in RL, to keep them together, even if nobody wishes to adopt that many children. I know that the area that I live in is constantly on the look-out for people who are interested in becoming foster carers, especially if they would be willing to take in sibling pairs/groups. Sometimes it is possible for the foster carers to then go on to eventually adopt their foster children, sometimes the children move on to another placement and sometimes the children remain with their foster family until they turn 16/18/21. It's certainly more usual here for children who are in care to be placed with foster families rather than in children's homes/institutions.

For me it would also depend on the age(s) of the children when they were being put up for adoption. Newborn babies won't have developed relationships with their newborn siblings, so in your case I wouldn't worry too much about having the quads adopted by the same person/people. But if, for example, the quads had been taken away as children and put into care I would try to keep them together, as they would have (potentially) strong bonds with one another by that age. If that meant that they went into foster care instead of being adopted that would probably be what I'd opt for.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 5:10 PM
I was hoping you'd show up here Lauratje86. ^_^

I was thinking the same thing about the bonding. There's a big chance that someone wont adopt any of them until later (only because I can't think of any sims/families who are ready for kids atm)

Fostering is an interesting idea especially for my childless sims. But I wouldn't know how to do that in the game. They'd have to somehow cut their old family ties but also not have any family ties to their new family. I may have to give in and figure out how to do that in SimPE because the last time I tried to cut ties myself through other mods in the game it didn't work exactly how I liked it to. While it cut off ties off the family tree everytime they'd meet someone who was related to them they'd show up as family in their friend 'catalog' and they're supposed to be complete strangers so having them family kiss was annoying. (But it works great to avoid any incest relationships later on)
Alchemist
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 5:27 PM
I only have one set of multiples in my adoption agency, the Traveller twins but because they're teens, they're a lot harder to place as most families want babies/toddlers/children. Though if they were still younger, I would prefer to have them get adopted together but if that's not possible then they will be adopted separately, same with siblings. The Traveller twins also have a younger niece who was put in the orphanage too, and she got adopted last rotation - so I try to keep her in contact with her Uncles because they grew up in the orphanage together. I would've adopted all of them but the Gieke's who adopted her only have a small house with two bedrooms, and a daughter of their own.

If it came to quads, it would probably be easier to adopt them separately, just because it's hard to find space for 4 children, especially because my sims have to have at least 1 biological child too. But if they had formed close relationships, they could keep in touch and visit each other often, or even adopt them in twos.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 5:57 PM
In my game, adoptions only go up to children. Once they turn into teenagers they go to a half-way home type thing where they can be around other teenagers, and prepare themselves for the 'real world'. Of course I've never gotten that far in my game yet but I have a feeling I will with Laura Harris since she's about 5 days away from being a teenager and no one is really looking to adopt soon.

Adopting in twos is a good idea. I can't help but imagine the quads setting up their own Hunger Games in order to see who will get adopted and who will rot in the orphanage muahaha! Fortunately the citizens of Bluewater pay enough taxes to have a good orphanage for the 'unwanted' , heck its better than most of my poor sims/ homes so its not a dreary place or anything like that.
Alchemist
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 6:29 PM
My orphanage is in Bluewater too. The big house at the very far east of the map.

I actually need more orphans to supply the demand for adoptees I have 2 pregnancies which will possibly lead to putting the child up for adoption (1 will definately go to the orphanage, the other I'm waiting to see if it's the Fiance's child or not). But I already have families that might take those children in. I only have 2 children and 2 teens in the orphanage right now. Which is fine, they get treated really well and they're a fun house to play - but I wish there was more of a challenge.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 7:19 PM
Too bad we can't send sims to other people's games I could send you two of the quads and the other two stay in my game then check up on each other from time to time to see how they're doing
Scholar
#8 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 8:54 PM
The highest order of multiples for adoption I've had is twins, and they went straight to grandparents Elise and Kevin to raise. I'm waiting on the sped-up version of Cresdale to actually start moving at a decent pace to get some more babies for adoption and kids adopted into families (maybe I should cut the odds for abortion, hmm...)

Anyway, personally I'd probably split up any multiples higher than twins up (e.g. quads would be two sets of two, triplets one pair and one singleton). In real life larger sibling groups are harder to place and in-game I'm not sure any sim would want to subject themselves to four babies or toddlers all at once, not even Family sims (children might be a different matter being able to do most things on their own). Not quite sure how they'd be split up though -- gender? Appearance? Decide at the moment adoption is finalised? Roll a die?

The only other option is some kind of foster situation, but to me that reads the same as the adoption house, just as an only them situation (i.e. no more babies incoming, the children move off to the halfway house when they're teenagers). So it's not 'different enough' for me to justify setting up another household for something that's likely to rarely happen.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 9:00 PM
I don't have an official system, although I don't interfere with or mod out the game-shipped social workers and occasionally use the in-game adoption system. I also use the "cat teleporter" functions to put kids up for adoption and/or create a neighborhood orphanage/adoption house.

Multiples really depend on the family and in my play style most of the adoptions/move-ins are children and teens. In-game also don't distinguish based on married/single or orientation. A younger family-oriented Sim(s) might want to take in two children whereas older Sim(s) that are concerned with who gets the house/money might want one older child as essentially an heir.

I also let Sims split up twins (I don't use triplets/quads) using said teleporter if they think they can only support one child or just don't feel like having more than one child. Even though it can be a pain to keep them the same/similar ages as the neighborhood progresses.

And something I definitely have to watch for is if an adopted Sim keeps or loses their family ties, I wasn't too careful on a previous neighborhood and two Sims I didn't realize were biologically brother and sister wound up marrying each other.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 10:38 PM
I've never had quads up for adoption, I've never actually had quads at all and only ever one set of trips. Perhaps I need to tweak the odds as the trips and quad mod only ever gives me and singles or twins. I would always make multiples a single deal. Take all or none. I could not stand to split up twins. The whole accidentily marrying your sibling would be another reason not to split them up. But to me splitting up multiples is far too sad.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 1:34 AM
I just recently had to tweak my settings because I was really annoyed at all the multiples birth. I mean right now in college I have two sets of triplets, and two sets of twins. Its almost as if the game spit them all out chronologically and wasn't really 'random' so I'm hoping by adjusting the settings it'll be less frequent. We'll see !
Alchemist
#12 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 2:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
I've never actually had quads at all and only ever one set of trips.

What are your settings? I believe mine are 85% single birth, 10% twins, 3% triplets, 2% quads, and I have quite a collection of trips/quads
Then again, my megahood is pretty big so births happen constantly, I imagine in a smaller hood they're a lot rarer.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 2:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsimsfan12
What are your settings? I believe mine are 85% single birth, 10% twins, 3% triplets, 2% quads, and I have quite a collection of trips/quads
Then again, my megahood is pretty big so births happen constantly, I imagine in a smaller hood they're a lot rarer.

How are you able to choose an odd number? I can only set it to an odd number or are those the default settings?
Alchemist
#14 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 2:52 AM
Can you not choose an odd number? I might be wrong. The lowest setting (that isn't 0) is what I use for quads, second lowest is triplets, twins 10%ish (I read somewhere that the likelihood of twins in Sims is 10% so I try to keep it congruent) and single birth over 2/3rds of the time. Hmm, that's probably why I have so many multiples... seeing as around 1/3rd of births results in them, maybe I should set them lower.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 3:02 AM
I tried to base it off statics I found online except I think I had found some messed up statistics because I had mine at 15% for twins I changed it yesterday to something similar to yours now. 2%, 4% etc.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 3:47 AM
I didn't touch the settings, just left it at what it came with. I don't even know how to change them. Gcgb53191, do you have v1 or v2? v2

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#17 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 4:33 AM
If they have relationship points with each other, don't they still show up at least at the friend panel? I'm pretty sure I've had siblings put up for adoption due to a death or just to add some kids to it and the relationship panels shows them but without the family ties. With multiples in the adoption pool, a family would have to adopt one a day to keep them together, since you can't adopt more than one at a time. I would keep aging off in that case, until they were back together in one place.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 5:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
I didn't touch the settings, just left it at what it came with. I don't even know how to change them. Gcgb53191, do you have v1 or v2? v2

I'm not sure, wasn't aware that there were two different versions.

I just tried to look up the difference but ended up more confused than when I started.

Edit: I think I have version 2, which would be the 'random' one, correct?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 7:22 AM
I try to keep them together. Quads might be harder to place, but there will be a family sim who wants them.

I'd have my social worker to try that cult out in Strangetown, the one that thinks aliens are sacred or something. They seem to have masses of happy, healthy, kids, and while they tend towards unusual living situations, they're very stable living situations. (Most Curious-Smith family members in my game get a family secondary if they have a knowledge primary, and a knowledge secondary if they don't. More babies are a very common want.) She can't discriminate against their religion. At least not right now.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 9:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcgb53191
I'm not sure, wasn't aware that there were two different versions.

I just tried to look up the difference but ended up more confused than when I started.

Edit: I think I have version 2, which would be the 'random' one, correct?

Yes, v2 gives you a chance to keep original number, choose or random. Unless the house is really tiny (some of my sims live on 1 by 1 lots) I click random.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#21 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 2:33 PM
If I recall, you can change the odds in SimPE too and those will stick as global (applicable to every neighbourhood) rather than on a 'hood by 'hood basis.

The dialogue option to change it is like ACR's risky woohoo one (buy food) and accessed via clicking on the sim -- clicking on the up or down arrows will increase or decrease by 2 but you can click inside the oval to set it, and also click+drag up/down to set the level. For odd numbers, you just need to click or click+drag up/down until you get to an odd number that's close enough and then increase/decrease it with the up/down arrows.

(My odds, for the record: 76 singleton, 15 twins, 6 triplets, 3 quads.)
Mad Poster
#22 Old 24th Jan 2016 at 3:15 PM
I have v2 and the odds that I use for the majority of pregnancies are:

Single Birth: 90%
Twins: 7%
Triplets: 2%
Quads: 1%

If the baby's mother or father has the Family aspiration fertility lifetime benefit (that leads to a greater chance of twins) then I quadruple the odds of multiples. These are also the odds that I use if the pregnancy occurs through IVF.

Single: 60%
Twins: 28%
Triplets: 8%
Quads: 4%

If both the mother and father have the Family fertility lifetime benefit, or if one parent has the benefit and the pregnancy occurs through IVF, I double the odds of multiples from what they would be if only one parent had the benefit or if neither parent had the benefit but the pregnancy occurred through IVF.

Single: 20%
Twins: 56%
Triplets: 16%
Quads: 8%

If both the mother and father have the Family aspiration fertility benefit and the pregnancy occurs though IVF I double the above odds of multiples. This is yet to happen in my game (sadly?!).

Single: 0% <------- (no chance of a single baby!)
Twins: 52%
Triplets: 32%
Quads: 16%

For alien abduction pregnancies I use the Original Number option, unless the pregnant sim was abducted again within 25 hours of the first abduction (within the first trimester of their pregnancy). In that case I use the Pick option to add one extra baby to the original number of babies for each abduction within the first trimester of pregnancy. So, for example, if Sim A is abducted and expecting twins, then gets abducted again 8 hours later and then gets abducted again 6 hours after that, he would give birth to half-alien quads. This is, for fairly obvious reasons, extremely rare - in my game sims who are pregnant due to alien abduction very very rarely have triplets or quads.