Replies: 25202 (Who?), Viewed: 687981 times.
Page 406 of 1009
Mad Poster
#10126 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 3:52 AM Last edited by maxon : 29th Oct 2017 at 1:43 PM.
How do I fix this?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Usually hanging out in Sim Crafters these days. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Welcome to Oakbrook.
Field Researcher
#10127 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 3:55 AM
Does anyone know if using the sim blender to impregnate a sim eliminates first born syndrome? I just had a couple have a second child and totally forgot to roll the pacifier, but the second child has a different skin tone, eye color and personality from the first child. Both pregnancies were achieved by sim blender as try for baby failed and I didn't feel like making them woohoo again, lol.

There are other couples in the same hood who had children in between these two so idk if that can also reset the genetics.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is a severely disabling neurological, cardiac and metabolic disease.
The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. is fighting for patients to be given recognition and appropriate medical care.
Please visit hfme.org for more information.
Mad Poster
#10128 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 4:01 AM
As far as I know, it doesn't, as a lot of the features of the child aren't even determined until they're born.

Usually hanging out in Sim Crafters these days. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Welcome to Oakbrook.
Field Researcher
#10129 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 4:07 AM
Yeah, I don't think it does. I'm pretty sure the second child will still have the same facial features, unless the other children you're talking about were born in the same play session. If those other children weren't born during the same play session they won't roll the pacifier.
Field Researcher
#10130 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 4:10 AM Last edited by rielynn71 : 29th Oct 2017 at 6:00 AM.
This is really curious then. They weren't born in the same play session and they have very different facial features. One has his dad's human nose and the other has her mother's flattened alien nose.

I wish I could figure it out because it would be really helpful to not have to worry about rolling the pacifier. I'll have to do some more testing in this hood.

Edit: I have a theory as to what caused this. In between kids one and two I had the game generate some townies. I think that's probably what reset the genetics.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is a severely disabling neurological, cardiac and metabolic disease.
The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. is fighting for patients to be given recognition and appropriate medical care.
Please visit hfme.org for more information.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#10131 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 4:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemandatoryregister
How do I fix this?

is it a problem where you need to raise terrain, or put down tiles and then delete them maybe?
Inventor
#10132 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 6:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
You've got a point Rosawyn. I'm afraid the law on that sort of thing is decidedly lax in my game. The Hamptons are one of the moneyed families of the Bluffs, and Marvyn's dad Lawrence (also Romance) gave him the money to start the business. I presume he wouldn't have done that if he thought it might be illegal; Lawrence is in the law-enforcement career, though at the moment he's still a police cadet.

If not a question of legality, I'd think it would be at least one of ethics and safety. His dad is more than lax if he's not concerned about the sort of adults that would frequent a nightclub, especially one of that sort, run by a teen. And if it's a nightclub meant for teens, that's a whole other can of worms, especially as Marvyn ages himself. My advice would be to shut it down and go to uni to give himself time to grow and explore what options he has for his future. If, once he has some experience under his belt, he decides to take it up again, at least he can do so at an age where unhealthy power dynamics and sticky situations regarding consent or indecencies involving minors are less likely to become an issue. (I don't have an issue with adults being involved in adult-themed businesses, but a teen involved in one is asking for trouble!)
Mad Poster
#10133 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 6:22 AM
First born syndrome is not that difficult, really.

A child's genetics are set at the moment of birth. The randomizer resets at the beginning of every game session. Therefore, children born during different game sessions to the same parents have a very high chance of being clones. How the child was conceived makes no difference at all. Tombstone of L&D, woohoo, abduction, Blender - these are all the same to the game code.

Anything that uses the game genetics randomizer - creating sims in CAS, generating new townies, even generating new pets - will have the same function as rolling the pacifier. Sometimes this happens during the normal course of play, but since it happens invisibly, we don't know if or how often the game is doing it. So we roll the pacifier to be absolutely sure that the randomizer is not sitting at the value it starts with at the beginning of the game. Some playstyles are more prone to first-born syndrome than others, but it's hard to specify which elements of play are most critical in this regard.

Because of the way the "randomizer" is programmed, it always generates the same numbers in the same order, so if you always roll the pacifier once, you may find yourself with second-born syndrome, and if you have the same father sire children on a number of different women, and don't take the precaution of rolling the pacifier, you're likely to see the same selection of the father's features on all the children.

The batbox actually has a similar problem, so pay attention to the pop up that tells you how many "objects" it discarded right before it throws you out to the neighborhood. If it's always the same number, you need to either use it more than once, or use it in conjunction with randomizing sims in CAS if you don't want to get stuck with the 13th or 100th or whatever. The advantage of the batbox is, that it has a chance of rolling the pacifier many more times than you ever would (I've gotten reroll numbers in the 1000s) and giving you some real variety.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#10134 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 6:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdayars
is it a problem where you need to raise terrain, or put down tiles and then delete them maybe?

The lot across the street has a gap in it, it's apartment lot so I can't do that

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#10135 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 7:10 AM
Have you tried moving the lots themselves?
Top Secret Researcher
#10136 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 9:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGloria
Possibly this should go in the dilemma advice thread, but it is a bit of a stupid question, so I'll put it here.

Marvyn Hampton (Teen, Romance, Baldrair Bluffs) is running an adult-themed nightclub which can make him over §1,000 a night. Marvyn has to work hard for long hours to bring in that sort of money, but he's earning considerably more than any of the adults in the neighbourhood. His question is, should he leave school in order to devote himself more to his business, or should he stay on at school in the hope of going to university one day? He always does any homework that's set, but he only has a C+ grade. Secondary school education is not compulsory in my game. Thinking of Bill Gates dropping out of university to start Microsoft, I'm inclined to let him leave. If he decides he'd like a university education when he's older, as I did myself, I'm sure I can think of a way to let him go. What do y'all think he should do?

I would have Marvyn go to Uni myself and I would have Marvyn set up a Manager at the night club so that he has someone to help him run the business when he is not there.

Depending on what kind of LTW I would have him pick an appropriate major and go from there, if he makes the right sort of career choice he can earn more than an average 1 000 per day and still have time to run his business and maybe buy another business later and still have time for Romance. Besides there are a lot of opportunities for Romance at Uni.

pm me with details about Marvyn's Business? I am curious.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Lab Assistant
#10137 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 11:10 AM
Are poll techs really supposed to be in the abductee's relationship panel? Seeing this while testing a new multi pt hack and I don't think I've noticed it before.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#10138 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 12:36 PM
Sounds like a part of the new mod
Lab Assistant
#10139 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 1:42 PM
Yeah, you're probably right. At least they're not available on the phone so no harm done, I hope.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10140 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 1:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemandatoryregister
How do I fix this?

Is that an apartment lot?

If so, it happens because when the game makes a new apartment for some weird reason it can drop the ground level 3 clicks (or something like that). There is an easy fix in SimPE but I'm not typing it out (again) unless that's what you need - let me know.

There are also options on the lot adjuster to level the edges.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#10141 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 3:39 PM
@Justpetro I had replaced the CEP awhile ago, it might be possible I didn't add recolors after that. Actually haven't even tried the windows since they never worked before. I'll add some to my new downloads as I've been setting them up to get back to playing. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#10142 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 3:58 PM
@Duine - I found that the recolors don't show up when I start another game folder (I normally do that for building competitions); so downloading a new copy of the CEP has always fixed it. I know you also need to download a new copy for a fresh install. So I hope it fixes your problem
Inventor
#10143 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 4:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiove
Are poll techs really supposed to be in the abductee's relationship panel? Seeing this while testing a new multi pt hack and I don't think I've noticed it before.

Are you using Chris Hatch's Telescope Fix? With it, all of the abducted sims get a relationship with the PT and are able to phone him. Then again, maybe you aren't since you said that they can't be contacted through the phone.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#10144 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 4:15 PM
@Duine

The windows fix is a CEP extra

if you didn't happen to keep the extras when you installed cep, that would be why they didn't work
Lab Assistant
#10145 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 5:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketching
Are you using Chris Hatch's Telescope Fix? With it, all of the abducted sims get a relationship with the PT and are able to phone him. Then again, maybe you aren't since you said that they can't be contacted through the phone.

No, that one I haven't even heard of before. What does it do besides adding pt to panel/phonebook?
Mad Poster
#10146 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 6:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
Is that an apartment lot?

If so, it happens because when the game makes a new apartment for some weird reason it can drop the ground level 3 clicks (or something like that). There is an easy fix in SimPE but I'm not typing it out (again) unless that's what you need - let me know.

There are also options on the lot adjuster to level the edges.

I have an apartment lot that is sunk down for some reason, though didn't cause a rift in the terrain. So if you don't mind I'd love to have instructions. But since you say again, did you type then out elsewhere? I can always go find the other ones if you wrote them somewhere public

If you have questions on how to use SimPE or WW, you're welcome to PM me.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10147 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 7:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummilutt
I have an apartment lot that is sunk down for some reason, though didn't cause a rift in the terrain. So if you don't mind I'd love to have instructions. But since you say again, did you type then out elsewhere? I can always go find the other ones if you wrote them somewhere public

No idea where it was Gummi - I'll post them in a bit.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#10148 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 9:36 PM
I'll try moving the lot to another spot and back first. If that doesn't fix it I'll look in the lotadjuster.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10149 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 10:10 PM
So fixing apartment sub-lots is fairly straightforward though it needs SimPE. But first an explanation: when you move a sim into an apartment lot, the game makes a copy of the base lot for them to live in. For some unknown and idiotic reason, it places the copy below the level of the base lot. Hence you get gaps at the edges or sometimes just sinking and slopes.

Fixing it:

1. Open SimPE and then your neighbourhood (top tip: if you have trouble loading SimPE completely, go to Object Workshop first and press 'Start'. Let the resources load - DON'T TOUCH IT AT ALL. You will know when it's finished as a list appears in the bottom pane, then open your neighbourhood (let that load too)).

2. Find the lot. Switch to Plug In view. Go into Lot Description and then press the name tab at the top of the list to sort the lots into alphabetical order

3. For apartment lots there are multiple copies of the lots under the same name but some of them have random numbers following the name - these are the copies. The base lots (the one you actually built if you built it) are the ones that just have the address. (See example - no. 2 Nonesuch Place is an apartment lot I built. There is only one family living there at the moment - the copy of the base lot this family lives on is the second lot with the same address but numbers following on the name - no.2 Nonesuch Place 36)

4. Click on the base lot first (let it load ) - find the 'z' value - this is the height the lot sits at in the neighbourhood and should be the same for all the apartment sub-lots (if you have a gap, it isn't obviously). Copy it (or write it down).

5. Find your sub-lot or lots - copy the z value into their z value slot (if it's different). Commit and Save. You're done.

If you're at all worried, make a back up first.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#10150 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 10:28 PM
Is it "normal" to have gaps at the back of the head on a toddler plantsim using the regular Maxis toddler plantsim hair?? I thought maybe some CC I had was messing it up, but I then I saw gaps in the same place on a plantsim toddler in someone else's screenshots. Also, is there a way to fix it? I find it distracting and immersion-breaking. :/
Page 406 of 1009