Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#8801 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 6:20 PM
My two favorite things from checking the community posts today:

They may have blatantly lied about if mermaids can kill people. Which like honestly...why? They made it sound like repeating it would kill them, much like how cowplant kills on the second attempt to eat. Why lie about that? The fact they lied about it implies they know fans would want it....so why the hell not include it?! For the sake of my sanity I hope the community is just doing something wrong.

Look how objective and reasonable this community is! The game hasn't even been out long enough for them to play it and they've already overwhelmingly deemed it the best island-based expansion of all time.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#8802 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 6:35 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 21st Jun 2019 at 6:59 PM.
I'll have to ask the person who thought BV in constract is lamer than IL. Haven't played much with BV, but it seem fairly meaty from trailers and stuff. Can we disect what IL offers:
- Cleaning trash (isn't that fairly vacationing like If we use Holiday as the focused analogy).
- Sunbathing.
- Swimming & boat'ing.
- campfire thing?
- Setting fish traps
- what else?

Anyway, not much wrong in that comment section. They make fair points, while some haven't experience full gameplay (one admitted not much playing with BV hoods). It ain't objective, but their votings based on their feelings. For me, gameplay wise IL is weaker than IP and BV. This comes from a person that haven't played any of these packs much. Just giving my impression.

Yeah, simocide by mermaid was good to be true. Told you so! Sim killing another directly 100% wasn't ever a thing in any games.

Unrelated side note, mermaids eating water is off-limits. Meh, there's no diving lots and doesn't outweight good stuff, I'm fine with that.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Top Secret Researcher
#8803 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 6:52 PM Last edited by MiniMimi : 21st Jun 2019 at 7:05 PM.
Eh maybe they'll patch the killing in 3 years..
Anyway more funny is players who realized their fishy mermaid cannot eat in the water https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...at-in-the-water and there: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...e-with-mermaids
and that the poor thing has to exit the water to go make a bowl of salad. Hilarious!
IMO good mermaid should eat kelp with the snorkel animation, evil mermaid should do the same animation but eat small fishes instead. No need for any SFX at all, just change the label of the queued action and make the hunger bar rise slowly for the good one, a tiny bit faster for the evil one. Or even just use their nice dive animation FCS.
Mad Poster
#8804 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 7:09 PM
Rarely they do include a useful feature for a pack in a patch.

With the eating issue is akin to IP where mermaids couldn't sleep in cave or anywhere underwater to refill their energy.

Good news, dogs can swim in ocean.

Mad Poster
#8805 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
I guess if you take that. Certaintly weaker than aliens, but arguably better than from IP take. I can't think of others they could have added more to them aside metamorphosis animation and water powers. For the lifestate alone I would get the pack If it were possible.

I don't know, it feels like mermaids were more at home in TS3's Island Paradise because of the open world that allowed them to live more of their lives in and on the sea.

It's the same way how horses will never really fit into TS4- the medium wouldn't fit the message.
Mad Poster
#8806 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 7:47 PM
Open world is competele different subject from what I'm talking about.

Instructor
#8807 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I don't know, it feels like mermaids were more at home in TS3's Island Paradise because of the open world that allowed them to live more of their lives in and on the sea.

It's the same way how horses will never really fit into TS4- the medium wouldn't fit the message.

I've personally never played IP, but considering how open world works I can absolutely see what you're saying. With the Sims 4 they're limited to what they can do and where they can go. I know IP had its issues with routing which caused major lag, however, if it didn't I'm pretty sure it would have been a solid all around pack. In all honesty I'm thinking about purchasing it IP. There are fixes online for it and I believe someone mentioned deleting a household that fixes most of the problems with the world. I was always nervous about buying it but considering how well the game runs on my PC i'm willing to take that plunge (no pun intended lol).

Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism

They may have blatantly lied about if mermaids can kill people. Which like honestly...why? They made it sound like repeating it would kill them, much like how cowplant kills on the second attempt to eat. Why lie about that? The fact they lied about it implies they know fans would want it....so why the hell not include it?! For the sake of my sanity I hope the community is just doing something wrong.

Look how objective and reasonable this community is! The game hasn't even been out long enough for them to play it and they've already overwhelmingly deemed it the best island-based expansion of all time.

I'm not surprised this has happened with all the packs... Until the bugs come out to play
Instructor
#8808 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mspigglypooh
I've personally never played IP, but considering how open world works I can absolutely see what you're saying. With the Sims 4 they're limited to what they can do and where they can go. I know IP had its issues with routing which caused major lag, however, if it didn't I'm pretty sure it would have been a solid all around pack. In all honesty I'm thinking about purchasing it IP. There are fixes online for it and I believe someone mentioned deleting a household that fixes most of the problems with the world. I was always nervous about buying it but considering how well the game runs on my PC i'm willing to take that plunge (no pun intended lol).

There's a map replacer online you should download where the mod-fix has a world with far better routing. Dunno if that map fix fixes the homes too (probably, I mean they cause lag), but there's one guy whose bathtub is facing the wrong way so he has routing issues getting in it, and another family whose front door is assigned to the door on their roof, so they have routing issues trying to enter/receive guests.
Instructor
#8809 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 7:01 AM
There's a map replacer online you should download where the mod-fix has a world with far better routing. Dunno if that map fix fixes the homes too (probably, I mean they cause lag), but there's one guy whose bathtub is facing the wrong way so he has routing issues getting in it, and another family whose front door is assigned to the door on their roof, so they have routing issues trying to enter/receive guests.

Wow they really messed that up didn't they... just little things like that? Either way thanks for the info I really appreciate it once I get the pack I'll look into getting that map fix. I have one for Sunset Valley already. I just wasn't sure there was one for that world.
Forum Resident
#8810 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 8:38 AM
So I played someone's game with Island Living for like an hour and I nearly rage-quit because the bugs were insane. Are there more bugs since the last patch or have these bugs been in the game for a while now? I haven't properly played in months, especially not with toddlers, so maybe I don't remember these bugs. I do googled some of them and saw them on the EA Answers HQ with over 50+ "me too" in the last years, but seems like they aren't fixed or reappeared?
- Sims won't clean up dishes, even with three sinks, two trash cans and a dishwasher on the same floor. They just collect them, then put them down.
- Dirty dishes are moved everywhere - Especially annoying that most of them end up on halfwalls and in toddler bedrooms hidden on shelves on the upper floor.
- Can't read my toddlers to sleep. My adult Sims sometimes has the "blocked pathway" symbol above her head; sometimes she actually puts the toddler in the bed, sits down, then they both get up again. Tried moving the bed, replacing the bed etc.
- Dogs are still peeing on porches/foundations instead of going down the stairs to pee on the normal ground.
- When my Sim walks her dog she walks like 10 meters to the beach, then stops the interaction and starts digging for seashells or something.
- Toddlers are constantly asking for food, even when all their needs are completely green.
- I have to tell my adult Sim like five times to pick up a toddler and bring them upstairs until it actually works.
- For a while my adult Sim needed fun, but no matter which interaction I used it just wouldn't go up.

I didn't even get to try any new content yet
Instructor
#8811 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 9:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara

Don't worry there isn't any.
Field Researcher
#8812 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 10:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hiabara
So I played someone's game with Island Living for like an hour and I nearly rage-quit because the bugs were insane. Are there more bugs since the last patch or have these bugs been in the game for a while now? I haven't properly played in months, especially not with toddlers, so maybe I don't remember these bugs. I do googled some of them and saw them on the EA Answers HQ with over 50+ "me too" in the last years, but seems like they aren't fixed or reappeared?
- Sims won't clean up dishes, even with three sinks, two trash cans and a dishwasher on the same floor. They just collect them, then put them down.
- Dirty dishes are moved everywhere - Especially annoying that most of them end up on halfwalls and in toddler bedrooms hidden on shelves on the upper floor.
- Can't read my toddlers to sleep. My adult Sims sometimes has the "blocked pathway" symbol above her head; sometimes she actually puts the toddler in the bed, sits down, then they both get up again. Tried moving the bed, replacing the bed etc.
- Dogs are still peeing on porches/foundations instead of going down the stairs to pee on the normal ground.
- When my Sim walks her dog she walks like 10 meters to the beach, then stops the interaction and starts digging for seashells or something.
- Toddlers are constantly asking for food, even when all their needs are completely green.
- I have to tell my adult Sim like five times to pick up a toddler and bring them upstairs until it actually works.
- For a while my adult Sim needed fun, but no matter which interaction I used it just wouldn't go up.

I’m having the dish issue and the dog peeing issue. Also noticed that some dog crap is in my sims house but the dog is allegedly trained and I always see it doing it on the porch? Disappearing crap?
dodgy builder
#8813 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 11:04 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 22nd Jun 2019 at 11:22 AM.
Washer and dryer doesn't work, is that a bug all people have or just me being unlucky?

They can't seem to change outfits on a canoe either. My Sim is doomed to be naked or go back to land.
Forum Resident
#8814 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 11:24 AM

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...omment_17125543
Yeah, apparently you really can't drown Sims Explains why I didn't see any footage of it. Mermaids only decrease your moodlets, so if a Sim happens to stay in the water then of course that Sim could die...

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/di...maids-can-drown
And... mermaids can drown themselves
Field Researcher
#8815 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 1:37 PM
I believe they deliberately exaggerated about the diving/mermaid deaths/sharks and the “mysterious cave”

I played for two sim weeks or more. I applied the volcano activity lot trait and it didn’t erupt once. I saw a friend play it and they cheated to get the volcano to erupt and the sims ran out with the tense moodlet. Not scared. Just tense. There was no damage to the house. Lava bombs are only dangerous if you touch them when they are hot. Once they cool you can collect elements the same as lightning leaves during a storm.

My sim has the new traits. She summoned the island spirits. What appeared was three ghosts in island attire. They talked, they laughed, they built sandcastles. The only new interaction with them is ask for judgement. My judgement was that my sim was basically doing an okay job looking after the island but there is room for improvement. Exciting right?

The water activities are fun. At first. Every lot has access to the ocean and they can swim around, lounge on floaties, use the boats or the jet skis. You can buy upgrades for the latter but after watching your sim zip around on a jet ski with flames coming out the back it gets a bit boring. Occasionally dolphins are appear. They are cute. They are the only wildlife done well, the birds look awful!

Scuba diving sucks. As someone who loves the sims 3 it was always going to be disappointing but seeing it on screen felt worse than I thought it would. All the scuba activities are separated into categories so your sim can go scuba diving for shells, take pictures if you buy a camera, go spear fishing, buy a scuba suit. Sounds fun right? Except you are just looking at a buoy. The Gurus hinted it was dangerous but I’ve yet to see that. Same with the mysterious cave. All the mysterious cave is is huge wall of text notification telling you about what your sim found. I haven’t saw any danger, I’ve had fish rewards, I’ve had kelp and I’ve had moodlets but nothing bad has happened.

I haven’t played mermaids but I’ve saw a friend play and she couldn’t lure a sim to their death either and she tried repeatedly.

Really disappointed that odd jobs are a rabbit hole. The cultural festivals are a joke. People standing around a bonfire (the same bonfire from get together) doing the exact same fire dance from get together on one day and then a new festival happening on a different day that uses the same bonfire, same dance, same sims bit different decor does not make culture. I’ve also saw a festival where they made a turkey feast and drank the new island drink but it doesn’t feel as if you are in a different culture. In many ways Jungle Adventure did this better and that was incredibly superficial.

There is no new skills that I can see? Fitness has been tuned a little to improve swimming- that’s good. Fishing has been changed and I think the fishing career is a waste - with the self employed careers your sims could be self employed.

The island is beautiful. But I just feel it’s an island with people wearing beach wear and doing beach activities. I’m really not feeling this cultural vibe they kept going on about. But then again, they said that about San Myshuno too. I believe with the conservationist career you can make changes that impact the island like for example no power between 12 and 6pm but in all honesty I’ve been playing the pack since Thursday evening, I’m already feeling I’ve saw everything I need to.
Instructor
#8816 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 1:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldbear
I believe they deliberately exaggerated about the diving/mermaid deaths/sharks and the “mysterious cave”

I played for two sim weeks or more. I applied the volcano activity lot trait and it didn’t erupt once. I saw a friend play it and they cheated to get the volcano to erupt and the sims ran out with the tense moodlet. Not scared. Just tense. There was no damage to the house. Lava bombs are only dangerous if you touch them when they are hot. Once they cool you can collect elements the same as lightning leaves during a storm.

My sim has the new traits. She summoned the island spirits. What appeared was three ghosts in island attire. They talked, they laughed, they built sandcastles. The only new interaction with them is ask for judgement. My judgement was that my sim was basically doing an okay job looking after the island but there is room for improvement. Exciting right?

The water activities are fun. At first. Every lot has access to the ocean and they can swim around, lounge on floaties, use the boats or the jet skis. You can buy upgrades for the latter but after watching your sim zip around on a jet ski with flames coming out the back it gets a bit boring. Occasionally dolphins are appear. They are cute. They are the only wildlife done well, the birds look awful!

Scuba diving sucks. As someone who loves the sims 3 it was always going to be disappointing but seeing it on screen felt worse than I thought it would. All the scuba activities are separated into categories so your sim can go scuba diving for shells, take pictures if you buy a camera, go spear fishing, buy a scuba suit. Sounds fun right? Except you are just looking at a buoy. The Gurus hinted it was dangerous but I’ve yet to see that. Same with the mysterious cave. All the mysterious cave is is huge wall of text notification telling you about what your sim found. I haven’t saw any danger, I’ve had fish rewards, I’ve had kelp and I’ve had moodlets but nothing bad has happened.

I haven’t played mermaids but I’ve saw a friend play and she couldn’t lure a sim to their death either and she tried repeatedly.

Really disappointed that odd jobs are a rabbit hole. The cultural festivals are a joke. People standing around a bonfire (the same bonfire from get together) doing the exact same fire dance from get together on one day and then a new festival happening on a different day that uses the same bonfire, same dance, same sims bit different decor does not make culture. I’ve also saw a festival where they made a turkey feast and drank the new island drink but it doesn’t feel as if you are in a different culture. In many ways Jungle Adventure did this better and that was incredibly superficial.

There is no new skills that I can see? Fitness has been tuned a little to improve swimming- that’s good. Fishing has been changed and I think the fishing career is a waste - with the self employed careers your sims could be self employed.

The island is beautiful. But I just feel it’s an island with people wearing beach wear and doing beach activities. I’m really not feeling this cultural vibe they kept going on about. But then again, they said that about San Myshuno too. I believe with the conservationist career you can make changes that impact the island like for example no power between 12 and 6pm but in all honesty I’ve been playing the pack since Thursday evening, I’m already feeling I’ve saw everything I need to.

But.....have you seen that that creature or something else that is bigger than the shark? I'm just waiting for someone to tell me what it is........... :D
Field Researcher
#8817 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc
But.....have you seen that that creature or something else that is bigger than the shark? I'm just waiting for someone to tell me what it is........... :D

There isn’t a creature, they confirmed there’s no Kraken.
What they said was your sim may get pulled under by a “mysterious shadow” but my sim tested it out for so long she got tired and drowned. It wasn’t a mysterious shadow, it was just the regular drown animation.
Mad Poster
#8818 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 2:59 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 22nd Jun 2019 at 3:11 PM.
I’ve also saw a festival where they made a turkey feast and drank the new island drink but it doesn’t feel as if you are in a different culture. In many ways Jungle Adventure did this better and that was incredibly superficial.

To be honest, turkey tails are basically a staple in Samoa.

But I sort of wish there was an option to rename existing dishes per world and restaurant, as quite a few of them are vague (and blurry) enough to easily multitask as multiple dishes.
Mad Poster
#8819 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 3:10 PM
There isn’t a creature, they confirmed there’s no Kraken.
What they said was your sim may get pulled under by a “mysterious shadow” but my sim tested it out for so long she got tired and drowned. It wasn’t a mysterious shadow, it was just the regular drown animation.

Hilarious.

Field Researcher
#8820 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 3:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
To be honest, turkey tails are basically a staple in Samoa.

But I sort of wish there was an option to rename existing dishes per world and restaurant, as quite a few of them are vague (and blurry) enough to easily multitask as multiple dishes.

Well in this case, it’s the same Turkey that comes with Seasons, even with the same name.
There is a new fish dish and a grilled fruit one I think but as you say, they haven’t bothered to re do the dishes.

Never thought I would praise Selvodorada for being more detailed than Sulani!
Instructor
#8821 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 3:42 PM

Again, I'm only watching clips or reading commentary, but this honestly seems like paying $40 for swimmable oceans. In terms of goals or gameplay, there aren't any.

The only hope I think this pack could have is if cleaning the island and summoning an elemental grants some cool powers, but given I've only seen them give moodlets, I have sincere doubts.
dodgy builder
#8822 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 3:50 PM
For me this ext is very important. I can see more beach abilities and perhaps some more free content later. I love seaside life, and building houses there is lovely.

I missed something with the hut for the canoe. It was too low water, and it needed a floor high room.
Field Researcher
#8823 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 4:35 PM
Again, I'm only watching clips or reading commentary, but this honestly seems like paying $40 for swimmable oceans. In terms of goals or gameplay, there aren't any.

The only hope I think this pack could have is if cleaning the island and summoning an elemental grants some cool powers, but given I've only seen them give moodlets, I have sincere doubts.

Yup the only new game play is swimming in oceans, sandcastles and floaties.

The little I played around with elementals just left me disappointed. They are bloody ghosts in island gear and behave like regular sims.

I want to find out what Happens if you piss them off (is there any consequence as the devs seemed to hint at? - not holding my breathe) but the game started it’s the simulation lag really badly. Ironically people said the sims 3 Isla paradiso has bad lag. Well my sims 3 doesn’t have simulation lag!
Instructor
#8824 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 4:40 PM
Yup the only new game play is swimming in oceans, sandcastles and floaties.

The little I played around with elementals just left me disappointed. They are bloody ghosts in island gear and behave like regular sims.

I want to find out what Happens if you piss them off (is there any consequence as the devs seemed to hint at? - not holding my breathe) but the game started it’s the simulation lag really badly. Ironically people said the sims 3 Isla paradiso has bad lag. Well my sims 3 doesn’t have simulation lag!

That's actually a good point. How do you possibly disappoint them given that the island starts off in it's worst state?

Probably more lies, or as EA likes to call them, "surprises."
Test Subject
#8825 Old 22nd Jun 2019 at 6:51 PM
2016: Devs say they will only add lounge chairs if it’s done PROPERLY, integrated with multitasking and social interactions.

2019: We finally get lounge chairs and all they can do is sit on them like lifeless mannequins, sunbathe and drink?

🤨
Locked thread
Page 353 of 447