Replies: 205 (Who?), Viewed: 67649 times.
Page 8 of 9
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#176 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 9:35 AM Last edited by nitromon : 13th Mar 2019 at 9:53 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY_89
Hi there! Sorry to bump up this old thread, but I really need some help from an expert🙈. The Sims 3 crashes whenever it reaches around 3.4 - 3.7 gb sometimes even 3.1 of ram usage.

No, error 12 is a completely separate issue from this. Error 12 has nothing to do with how many CCs etc... as the game actually keeps loading while you play dynamically, this is why when you goto a new lot, it has to load all the mesh and textures of that lot when you reach it. CCs etc... only affects load time both in the beginning when it checks the cc and during the game. Theoretically I think it does affect the RAM usage if you have too much objects etc... on a lot, but that is regardless of CC, as if you fill it with game objects, it would still be taking up a lot of RAM.

You can reduce load time and improve game performance by using CC MAGIC, there are youtube tutorials on how to use this:
http://modthesims.info/d/461888/cc-...pernatural.html

But mainly savegames that become too old uses up a lot of RAM b/c you are carrying a large family tree in every sim even the inactive ones. In those cases, you need to refresh the game and break the family tree even. If your game is ... 10 generations in, it is probably time to refresh it.

You can do this in a few ways, the easiest is simply move to a new town. Otherwise you will have to use NRAAS Porter to port your families out of the game. If you only have a handful of households, you can just save them directly into the household bin instead of using NRAAS porter. Then delete every sim in your game including NPCs. Then with an empty town, place your family back in. This should break most of the family tree except for the immediate family.

Other things you could do is make sure you keep your game error free and clean with NRAAS errortrap and Kuree's savegame cleaner.
http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...e/uploads/1532/
https://www.nraas.net/community/home

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Test Subject
#177 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
No, error 12 is a completely separate issue from this. Error 12 has nothing to do with how many CCs etc... as the game actually keeps loading while you play dynamically, this is why when you goto a new lot, it has to load all the mesh and textures of that lot when you reach it. CCs etc... only affects load time both in the beginning when it checks the cc and during the game. Theoretically I think it does affect the RAM usage if you have too much objects etc... on a lot, but that is regardless of CC, as if you fill it with game objects, it would still be taking up a lot of RAM.

You can reduce load time and improve game performance by using CC MAGIC, there are youtube tutorials on how to use this:
http://modthesims.info/d/461888/cc-...pernatural.html

But mainly savegames that become too old uses up a lot of RAM b/c you are carrying a large family tree in every sim even the inactive ones. In those cases, you need to refresh the game and break the family tree even. If your game is ... 10 generations in, it is probably time to refresh it.

You can do this in a few ways, the easiest is simply move to a new town. Otherwise you will have to use NRAAS Porter to port your families out of the game. If you only have a handful of households, you can just save them directly into the household bin instead of using NRAAS porter. Then delete every sim in your game including NPCs. Then with an empty town, place your family back in. This should break most of the family tree except for the immediate family.

Other things you could do is make sure you keep your game error free and clean with NRAAS errortrap and Kuree's savegame cleaner.
http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...e/uploads/1532/
https://www.nraas.net/community/home

Thnx for the quick reply! I didn't mean error 12 (from what I understand it's a fail to save the game due to high ram usage) . The game just crashes because it uses more memory than the game can handle. It only happens in big worlds. I already use Cc Magic (which I said in my previous post ) and I've already tried every option you're suggesting. It's also not in a save file that's old. Fresh saves and everything. I also use Razer game booster which seems to lower the ram usage for The Sims 3 significantly (as I monitor it in Task Manager) but it crashes all the same. I think it's a fake drop of ram :P. I'm going to investigate this futher and try the CorFlags.exe. It's a very sad thing... Thnx for the reply!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#178 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 1:23 PM
Quote:
Thnx for the quick reply! I didn't mean error 12 (from what I understand it's a fail to save the game due to high ram usage) . The game just crashes because it uses more memory than the game can handle. It only happens in big worlds. I already use Cc Magic (which I said in my previous post ) and I've already tried every option you're suggesting. It's also not in a save file that's old. Fresh saves and everything. I also use Razer game booster which seems to lower the ram usage for The Sims 3 significantly (as I monitor it in Task Manager) but it crashes all the same. I think it's a fake drop of ram :P. I'm going to investigate this futher and try the CorFlags.exe. It's a very sad thing... Thnx for the reply!

It is still error 12, just it crashed before it can give you the error 12 message. Error 12 is basically a RAM leak which is why it goes beyond 3.4GB+ and can actually crash your game even while you are playing and not saving.

But if it is crashing in new games and new save files, there is likely a broken mod or CC which is causing the leak. A while back there was something called "arezzo counter" bug/virus which is a broken CC that attaches itself into every CC, overbloat and crashes your game or something. You might want to read up on it especially if you have a lot of CC/mods and you didn't check them with Custard before installing.

The only other possibility is the world itself is bad. You said big worlds, I'm assuming they're custom worlds?

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Test Subject
#179 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 4:08 PM Last edited by SY_89 : 13th Mar 2019 at 8:13 PM.
Quote:
It is still error 12, just it crashed before it can give you the error 12 message. Error 12 is basically a RAM leak which is why it goes beyond 3.4GB+ and can actually crash your game even while you are playing and not saving.

But if it is crashing in new games and new save files, there is likely a broken mod or CC which is causing the leak. A while back there was something called "arezzo counter" bug/virus which is a broken CC that attaches itself into every CC, overbloat and crashes your game or something. You might want to read up on it especially if you have a lot of CC/mods and you didn't check them with Custard before installing.

The only other possibility is the world itself is bad. You said big worlds, I'm assuming they're custom worlds?

Aha, thnx! I will look into it! I would love for it to be a piece of cc that I can remove. I also have issues with the pie menu taking a few sec to come up. I've checked with Procces Monitor a few times and Delphy's Dashboard. Delphy's Dashboard showed a good amount of conflits, but since I have everything in CC Magic it's kind of hard to detect it if it doesn't have a description or what it conflicts with. And yes, they are custom worlds.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#180 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 10:45 PM
Quote:
Aha, thnx! I will look into it! I would love for it to be a piece of cc that I can remove. I also have issues with the pie menu taking a few sec to come up. I've checked with Procces Monitor a few times and Delphy's Dashboard. Delphy's Dashboard showed a good amount of conflits, but since I have everything in CC Magic it's kind of hard to detect it if it doesn't have a description or what it conflicts with. And yes, they are custom worlds.

If you need more help, post a thread in the help forum so more people can help you with it b/c I'm not too familiar with some of the issues concerning CCs and stuff as I don't have a lot of mods/ccs.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Test Subject
#181 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 9:04 AM
I will! Can I ask you one more question please. I've put a lot of my Sims 3 documents folders in RamDisk. I made the RamDisk 15GB out of the 32GB RAM I have. The files disappeared and I couldn't start the game. I assume the RamDisk is clearing itself after shutting down the computer. Is there a way to prevent this?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#182 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 9:07 AM
Quote:
The files disappeared and I couldn't start the game. I assume the RamDisk is clearing itself after shutting down the computer. Is there a way to prevent this?

Yes, depending on which RAMdisk you use, there should be a "save to image" option. However, keep in mind this means it will create a 15GB disc image on your HDD and will save down your RAMdisk on there during each time you shutdown, so could take a few minutes.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Inventor
#183 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 9:22 AM Last edited by Naus Allien : 14th Mar 2019 at 9:27 AM. Reason: RA
I used a RAM Disk for a time before buying an SSD and it definitely helped, but it wasn't a massive improvement. In theory, RAM is 10x faster than an SSD (and 50 times faster than an HDD), but in practice I can't fit the whole Sims 3 + all EPs + the whole My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 folder in a RAM Disk, so I was only able to get an improvement in a small number of files. Having everything on an SSD actually gives me an improvement in the totally of files and keeps everything consistent at around 500 MB/s read/write speed.

I recommend a RAM Disk as a temporary solution, and eventually buy an SSD an install everything on it. The marginal improvement I had with a RAM Disk is nothing compared to the massive improvement an SSD provides.

ETA: The Sims 3 folder with all EPs/SPs is almost 33 GB. My user data folder is around 11 GB, though it changes depending on the number of Store/CC/Worlds you have installed and how many save games you keep in the main directory (I generally move old saves and backups to my HDD). If I wanted to fit everything on a RAM Disk, I'd probably need to have 64 GB of RAM. I can't even imagine how long it would take to boot up / mount / save such a massive RAM disk. I'm interesting in trying some day, just to see how much it improves performance in-game.
Test Subject
#184 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 12:30 PM
Quote:
Yes, depending on which RAMdisk you use, there should be a "save to image" option. However, keep in mind this means it will create a 15GB disc image on your HDD and will save down your RAMdisk on there during each time you shutdown, so could take a few minutes.

Ok, Good to know. Good thing I always back up before doing stuff like this. I would have lost everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus Allien
I used a RAM Disk for a time before buying an SSD and it definitely helped, but it wasn't a massive improvement. In theory, RAM is 10x faster than an SSD (and 50 times faster than an HDD), but in practice I can't fit the whole Sims 3 + all EPs + the whole My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 folder in a RAM Disk, so I was only able to get an improvement in a small number of files. Having everything on an SSD actually gives me an improvement in the totally of files and keeps everything consistent at around 500 MB/s read/write speed.

I recommend a RAM Disk as a temporary solution, and eventually buy an SSD an install everything on it. The marginal improvement I had with a RAM Disk is nothing compared to the massive improvement an SSD provides.

ETA: The Sims 3 folder with all EPs/SPs is almost 33 GB. My user data folder is around 11 GB, though it changes depending on the number of Store/CC/Worlds you have installed and how many save games you keep in the main directory (I generally move old saves and backups to my HDD). If I wanted to fit everything on a RAM Disk, I'd probably need to have 64 GB of RAM. I can't even imagine how long it would take to boot up / mount / save such a massive RAM disk. I'm interesting in trying some day, just to see how much it improves performance in-game.

Yeah, I have everything on an SSD anyway but I just want the files that constantly refresh and build on the RAMDisk just like Nitromon suggeted. I can't fit my entire Sims 3 map into the RAMDisk anyway. I'd need 70GB of Ram for that. I'm intressed too because the numbers are insane!
Theorist
#185 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 1:44 AM
Anyone tried this?
https://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/...tab=description

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#186 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 3:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizerist

Can someone who has tried or is familiar with it tell us what it is supposed to do?

TS3 doesn't need more RAM allocated to it unless one has plenty but too much of it is getting reserved for other applications or processes running in the background. It's not like allocating more than 4 GB is going to cause the game to use more than that much, as it can't. Or is this solution meant to be used in tandem with RAMdisks? I might be totally missing the point here so would like to be put back on track if that's the case.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#187 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 4:22 AM
I never tried it and it doesn't seem to have a lot of information description.

From what I understand on that page, this is a RAM allocation program. It is for systems that are capping the RAM say... 6GB or 8GB, that you may not have enough full RAM to use at 3-3.4GB while using say Chrome or something without having the Win OS shuffling part of your TS3 into the virtual RAM swap. I guess this program manually forces the system to allocate and prioritize TS3 to have as much RAM as possible, while putting other programs into the virtual RAM swapfile.

I'm completely guessing of course, but it could also simply be an editor which edit some of the TS3 memory configuration:

[ResourceSystem]
MemoryUsageLimit = 20000000

Which unfortunately, does nothing.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Test Subject
#188 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 12:14 PM
Thanks, This is helpful.
Test Subject
#189 Old 6th Apr 2019 at 3:33 PM
so my documents folder for sims 3 is 3,44 GB can i just ramdisk the whole sims 3 documents and set it to 4gb size on ramdisk will it work that way or ?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#190 Old 6th Apr 2019 at 9:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooder
so my documents folder for sims 3 is 3,44 GB can i just ramdisk the whole sims 3 documents and set it to 4gb size on ramdisk will it work that way or ?

Yeah, that's what I did. If you can get it to fit go for it. If you have size issue such as later it gets too big, you can try linking certain static folders back to HDD. (Make sure your user folder size is "when the game is loaded" b/c it makes a copy of your save in the "current game folder")

Set whole TS3 folder to Ramdisk:
1) Always backup first
2) move the whole TS3 user folder to ramdisk
3) use the junction link for "folders" in the tutorial to link the folder.

If you got the ram and it works, then you are done. If you wish to link some folders back to HDD such as screenshot, save, etc... (since these folders are not constantly being loaded like cache/mods/cc) then...

1) Create a folder called "TS3" next to your user folder junction link shortcut on your HDD
2) In the HDD folder "TS3" move back whatever folders from RAMdisk such as screenshot, save, installed world, library, downloads, exports, savedsims, savedoutfits. These are called "static folders" meaning they only retain data that you use when you load them such as going into the household bin, load save, etc...
3) Use junction link for folders to link those specific folders from the ramdisk user folder. (the shortcuts will be on the ramdisk)

So you would be like "HDD User folder" --> "RAMDISK User folder" --> "HDD library/save etc... folders."

It's a double link basically. Double links is not recommended for files such as cache, thumbnail, or mods/ccs because they are dynamically loaded (constantly being loaded as you play), it creates latency. However, for static folders, such as save/library, they only open when you load or go to household bin, so it is ok.

This is a great way to be efficient b/c in the future as you add more mods/ccs, your user folder may grow and your ramdisk might not be big enough. Save and library folders may get really big and take up unnecessary space.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Field Researcher
#191 Old 31st May 2019 at 1:54 AM Last edited by Giga : 31st May 2019 at 2:26 AM.
I got a 25gb ram disk mounted. First I just moved all the content from Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 to the disk and linked it. Then I went to do the same with C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 but there are some files that are named the same so windows asks me if I want to override. What should I do?
My idea was to put as many EP folders from the program files as I could fit, but yeah most of the files are named the same.

Edit: So with having the whole user folder on ram disk reduced my loading time by 5 seconds; Pre: 1min 15s. Now 1min 10s. CAS kinda feels snappier. I got about 1GB CC. Didn't notice any difference in simulation speed.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#192 Old 31st May 2019 at 2:30 AM
The problem is they both use "The Sims 3" folder name. However, you can change the destination folder name to whatever you want. You don't have to name them all the same. So you can name one "TS3U" for the user folder and another just leave it as "The Sims 3" for the game folder.

The system will read the "link" name, not the folder name.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Field Researcher
#193 Old 31st May 2019 at 2:35 AM Last edited by Giga : 1st Jun 2019 at 8:56 AM.
Yeah I just figured it out. Thanks

@nitromon I got some benchmarks. Read, Write in MB/s

SSD NMVe: 3600, 2448
Primo Ramdisk: 19587, 10455
SoftPerfect: 10415, 10829
Dataram Ramdisk: 8146, 7158
AMD Radeon Ramdisk: 7167, 6417

So now I need to figure out the most essential files to put on the 24gb ram disk. I'm not looking forward to creating those junctions.
Test Subject
#194 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 1:05 PM
I got a question. I am setting up a 12 GB ramdisk to which I intend to move the caches, thumbnails, mods folder and dccache. My question is about the folder layout of the ramdisk. According to the tutorial the thumbnail files are supposed to be without parent directory and the junction is supposed to point at the ramdisk (and not a folder on the ramdisk, as opposed to links to mods folder for example). Will this not interfere with the loading process when there are multiple files and folers on the ramdisk, and would that be equivalent of making a Thumbnails folder on the ramdisk and making a junction to that, rather than the entire drive.
Field Researcher
#195 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 1:30 PM
No, it won't, it will be just fine. Can you dedicate the whole 12gb for sims? If yes, why not put the whole user folder? then you only have to create one junction
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#196 Old 16th Jun 2019 at 7:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cejanek
and would that be equivalent of making a Thumbnails folder on the ramdisk and making a junction to that, rather than the entire drive.

The setup on the ramdisk does not have to match the actual folders you are linking. Yeah, I was kinda lazy when I did this tutorial section so I just assumed people to link the thumbnail folder to the ramdisk root directory. It should be fine, but if you are OCD like me, you probably want to create a thumbnail folder on the ramdisk to make it look clean. Or even create a TS3 folder on ramdisk then the thumbnail folder in it to make it look identical to your original link.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Scholar
#197 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 6:45 PM
Hi can anyone help me with this on a Windows 10 machine? I just updated to Win10 and I can't tell what is where on that infernal system! File Explorer has turned into a guessing game!
My The Sims 3 folder shows up in: This PC > Local Disc (C > Users > mylogin ID > OneDrive > Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3
When I set up the link it says: local folders are required.
What I don't understand: How do I get it so The Sims 3 folder is not generated in OneDrive? I turned OneDrive off but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
Mad Poster
#198 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 7:17 PM Last edited by igazor : 2nd Feb 2020 at 7:55 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310175
Hi can anyone help me with this on a Windows 10 machine?

There is a slight learning curve to be had there, we've all gone (or are still going) through it. It's best to uninstall OneDrive, not just deactivate it as that only supposedly stops automatic synchronizations to the cloud, if you have no use for it otherwise. Possibly Win 10 updates will "helpfully" reinstall it for you in the future as they have done with Cortana and a few other annoying features for many of us. Try looking under Settings > Apps from the Start Menu rather than the classic control panel Programs & Features interface.

Make sure you have a copy of your intended user game folder stored elsewhere if the one currently in OneDrive is actually your intended game folder and has important things in it like your content and current game saves. It will likely get deleted once OneDrive no longer exists on your system.
Scholar
#199 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 7:23 PM
Thanks! I do use OneDrive however for work. Would it work if I uninstall OneDrive, add the Folders back to Documents and then reinstall it? I would then turn it off every time I play.
Mad Poster
#200 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 7:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310175
Thanks! I do use OneDrive however for work. Would it work if I uninstall OneDrive, add the Folders back to Documents and then reinstall it? I would then turn it off every time I play.

It's worth a try. But it's also possible that the game will keep trying to spawn new user game folders in OneDrive on you. It seems, in some but not all instances, to be confusing that Documents folder with the "real" one. You may also want to consider a second Windows user account, one for work and one for play in case that helps, and have no OneDrive presence at all on the play account. Haven't tested any of this because I don't use OD for anything on my end.
Page 8 of 9