Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2022 at 12:53 AM Last edited by monotype : 8th Jan 2022 at 5:03 AM. Reason: added additional info for clarity and to give research status

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [solved] Windows 10/Black screen upon opening game,The application will now crash", and my desktop shrinks t error message says: "o the top left side. Can someone please take a look at my config files?
Hi there,

I've been looking through here and r/sims2help for the past couple of weeks trying to get my game to run and I was hoping I could get some help.

I'm running Windows 10 on a 2019 MacBook Pro using Bootcamp. I have downloaded the Ultimate Collection using Games 4 The World. I'm able to install the game, the 4GB patch (and I did make sure that I followed The Jessa Channel's instructions to make sure it was applied correctly), and the graphics rule maker. I also increased the resolution in the config file.

However, whenever I open the game one of two things happens, and the third thing always happens. Either 1) the screen goes entirely black for about 45 seconds until you hear the Windows crash noise indicating that an application has crashed and the popup that says this application has crashed comes up, or 2) my screen will shrink to the top left side of the screen for the same amount of time and then crashes the same way. Regardless, it always crashes and I haven't been able to get it to start, like at all, even for a minute .

Just to see if I was doing something wrong during the install, I tried using an older Windows laptop (cir. 2012) as a control and UC up and running using the same methods and techniques that I'm doing currently now on my preferred system. It sucks, though, because that laptop is so old the screen is like looking at a self-checkout machine from 2005 and is really slow.

Here's my specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
Ram: 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I'm attaching my config files and my log files and I will gladly provide any and everything else that you may need.

Again, thank you so much

Oh & edit:

I haven't done the DXVK fix because I haven't even been able to open the game yet and I'm not sure if it's a graphics card issue or a configuration issue.

Here's my latest exception:

Exception time: 01/05/2022, at 18:43:45.
Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.
Current thread ID: 1344 (0x00000540).
Version information:
Application/module path: C:\Program Files\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\CSBin\Sims2EP9.exe
Application/module version name: The Sims 2 EP9
Application/module version: 1.17.0.66
System version: Windows NT 6.0
System memory: 4096 Megabytes total, 4096 Megabytes free.
Application/module configuration: ReleaseSRT

Extra Exception Data:

Shutdown: 0
HostName: DESKTOP-UT1DSH0
MemoryUsage: 3456408K
Neighborhood Name:
Neighborhood Prefix:
Lot Name:
Extra Exception Data End:

Exception module: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0348578.inf_amd64_c955a7a452d1bf20\B348746\amdxn32.dll.
Exception address: 0x71b46789. Section:Offset: 0x01:0x00045789.

Edit 2: I've been doing research on this exception and (I am not super familiar with this kind of stuff, but) this appears to happen when "the game tries to write something where it shouldn't. Rather than overwriting a piece of code it gives the violation and stops", per celebkiriedhel on Leefish. I'm just not sure what I need to change... I'll be doing more research in the meantime, and again I appreciate any and all help!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  game files.rar (446.9 KB, 21 downloads)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 8th Jan 2022 at 1:38 AM
Although you've used Graphics Rules Maker, it seems that the option "Disable Texture Memory Estimate Adjustment", which might be helpful with crashing, is not enabled; at least your config log doesn't report it, and the Graphics Rules file doesn't have that line anywhere in the AMD/ATI section. I would recommend that you redo the Graphics Rules Maker part, double-checking that both "Disable Texture Memory Estimate Adjustment" and "Enable Driver's Memory Manager" are ticked before you save the new file.

Graphics Rules Maker should also let you set the correct resolution and texture memory without the need for any additional manual changes to the file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jan 2022 at 5:02 AM
Omg This Worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You So Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!