Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#1301 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 7:23 AM Last edited by MicBri : 13th Dec 2005 at 7:31 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by fairelite
Sorry I wasn't clearer... I have a bad file that is crashing my game, and I need installer to find it...the orginal problem is that i can't find the original files and Clean Installer won't let me install anything new until I unstall the old files.

Know how you feel, We upgraded our system and the file association got changed to the sims2 installer by the system, we cant use "open with" to change the association and we cant uninstall to reinstall. We didnt move anything and all the files are in there original places.
Asking how to unistall a program shouldnt warrent a lecture or the 3rd degree.
Having to sift through the registry is a pain, some programs require specific things to be removed that are not so obviouse. I came here hopeing there maybe another solution, or a specific key/keys to remove from the registry, guess not.
Or at least not any that simdebster knows of.

Oh, roh bitah!
Looking for the graveyards?
There "All" Here! -> The Sims Graveyard - http://thesimsgraveyard.com, In One Place :)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#1302 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 1:03 PM
MicBri : Try searching this thread for info on the registry entries. I have posted about this time after time. A quick search will get you your information. Do you want a lecture? Search for information before bothering everybody to do your work for you!

Have a bright platinum diamond day!
Deb
Lab Assistant
#1303 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 12:36 AM
Hey can anyone help? ... I seem to be having a problem with Clean Installer. I recently only just started using it and have had no known issues until i wanted to upload in modthesims2. I packaged a lot to a file and opened it in Clean Installer and tried to save it, but after it came up with an error. It says, System.NullReferenceException : object reference not set to an instance of an object ... followed by get folder name, get item, and recognise files ... what am i doing wrong? I've tried everyway to do but my save menu comes up with no option to save the "type" of file. Does anyone know what's happening?
Field Researcher
#1304 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 12:57 AM
joanne_8121: I had this happen to me once back when I had a couple of bad download files. See my earlier post here. What I had to end up doing was track down the bad files, get rid of them, go back into my game and into my lot, save it, package it to a file again (in the game), then go into Clean Installer to remove unwanted items and Save As (a filename different than the one currently open in Clean Installer).

Having to do all of that was a ton of work and aggravation. Since then I now use a clean build game to do build my houses and decorate them. I have not had a problem since. You might consider doing this in the future. It saves a lot of time loading the game too, which comes in handy when I am making recolors and want to see them in the game in order to check if I need to modify anything. See this post for how to do this.

Deb
Lab Assistant
#1305 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 1:09 AM
Thanks very much i hope that it works. I was just confused because i scanned it all and it didnt show any bad files since they are 95% maxis, and 5% recolors only. But i will try again. I never had this problem before. I have uploaded once before but because i have had this problem for a while now i havent bothered to upload anything since.
Lab Assistant
#1306 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 1:53 AM
Okay obvioulsy something was bugged, it saved eventhough i was unable to choose the file type in the drop down menu. (still dont know what would be causing that) But does the Clean Installer compress larger sized packs? Because the particular file is 25MB ... and will be almost impossible to upload anyway. Sorry if these are dumb questions.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#1307 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 3:09 AM
joanne_8121, try rar compression.
Lab Assistant
#1308 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simdebster
MicBri : Try searching this thread for info on the registry entries. I have posted about this time after time. A quick search will get you your information. Do you want a lecture? Search for information before bothering everybody to do your work for you!

Most people do search these threads and sometimes miss the info they are looking for, its easy sometimes to do this when the threads are long.

I dont see anywhere in my post where I am requesting info.

If anyone or myself did request info, it would not merit a rude response, like so many of yours here and in other threads are.

There are so many nice and helpful people here at mts2, but there are also those who when there icon or aviator name come up make a person cringe and wonder why they come here :noball: :sprint: ... At this point a person just has to look and remember all those who make this a nice and helpful environment.

To others:
I did remove all registry keys and files and it did not work. The package installer that came with the game wont load either, So I just :thumb: dragged and dropped the package files "*.sims2pack" I wanted to install on to the "Sims2Pack Clean Installer.exe" file and it worked that way. :clap:

Oh, roh bitah!
There "All" Here! -> The Sims Graveyard - http://thesimsgraveyard.com, In One Place :)
Field Researcher
#1309 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MicBri
Know how you feel, We upgraded our system and the file association got changed to the sims2 installer by the system, we cant use "open with" to change the association and we cant uninstall to reinstall. We didnt move anything and all the files are in there original places.
Asking how to unistall a program shouldnt warrent a lecture or the 3rd degree.
Having to sift through the registry is a pain, some programs require specific things to be removed that are not so obviouse. I came here hopeing there maybe another solution, or a specific key/keys to remove from the registry, guess not.
Or at least not any that simdebster knows of.

Quote: Originally posted by MicBri
Most people do search these threads and sometimes miss the info they are looking for, its easy sometimes to do this when the threads are long.

I dont see anywhere in my post where I am requesting info.

If anyone or myself did request info, it would not merit a rude response, like so many of yours here and in other threads are.

There are so many nice and helpful people here at mts2, but there are also those who when there icon or aviator name come up make a person cringe and wonder why they come here ... At this point a person just has to look and remember all those who make this a nice and helpful environment.

To others:
I did remove all registry keys and files and it did not work. The package installer that came with the game wont load either, So I just dragged and dropped the package files "*.sims2pack" I wanted to install on to the "Sims2Pack Clean Installer.exe" file and it worked that way.

MicBri: You say that you do not know where you were requesting info, well then try reading the last two lines of your first post. You certainly did not search this site for the word "registry" because if you did then you would have had your answer and would not have had to make your nasty post in the first place. And if you did get your answer then why did you not share your knowledge and be "helpful?"

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my opinion, I am not the rude one here, you are. You are the one that posted about rudeness in the first place when there was nothing to warrant it, which is why you got the well-deserved reply from me that you did. I at least try to help people here at MTS2 (and have helped people), but I do not see anywhere where you have been helpful or have added anything of value for anyone. You are just critical and very rude. At least now I know what kind of person you are. I really have nothing more to say to you.
Lab Assistant
#1310 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 10:50 PM
MicBri: You say that you do not know where you were requesting info, well then try reading the last two lines of your first post. You certainly did not search this site for the word "registry" because if you did then you would have had your answer and would not have had to make your nasty post in the first place. And if you did get your answer then why did you not share your knowledge and be "helpful?"

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my opinion, I am not the rude one here, you are. You are the one that posted about rudeness in the first place when there was nothing to warrant it, which is why you got the well-deserved reply from me that you did. I at least try to help people here at MTS2 (and have helped people), but I do not see anywhere where you have been helpful or have added anything of value for anyone. You are just critical and very rude. At least now I know what kind of person you are. I really have nothing more to say to you.

Saying I came here hoping there maybe a better solution, is not a question, obviously I was looking for one "a solution". And obviously I DID post the solution to my problem, if you read my post correctly you would see this.
Speaking of rudeness is not rudeness.
You obviously have not looked through these forums or other site forums, to be replying like you know my contributions or me so well, or even AT ALL.
Is this last post of yours not nothing but critical rudeness?
Happy simming & may all your contributions return to you in 10 fold.

Oh, roh bitah!
Field Researcher
#1311 Old 15th Dec 2005 at 5:03 PM
fairelite: If you deleted the Clean Installer files and are running XP (or other Windows versions) you could also look for the files in the Recycle Bin on your desktop. By going through the Recycle Bin, you could restore the files. Let me know if you are still having problems.

Deb
Test Subject
#1312 Old 16th Dec 2005 at 4:04 AM
Reinstallation problem solved THANKS!
I came here to ask about my problem with reinstalling. No matter what I did I could not reinstall after uninstalling. I had a feeling it was a registry key but I didn;t know how to find them. Soooo I did a search of this thread and found this helpful and simple explanation http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=848763&highlight=registry+key#post848763

I then followed the instruction and YAY the program is working again. THANKS THANKS THANKS! And a big hug
Test Subject
#1313 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 11:09 PM
Default Sims 2 Virus found/Clean Installer creating Blank Package files with Res. Lot
Okay here is one for the designers....

I really like Clean Installer because it assisted me to find some type of Sims 2 virus file. It only attacks the game and causes bugs. The file appears as a custom terrain paint titled "SeaScape" It will attach itself to your other lots and any lots you package to a file or upload. Also this particular file acts as a worm by duplicating custom package files. If one has this custom terrain paint and scans his/her download folders suddenly you will see package files with the same name but with "_001" or "_002", etc. added just before the .package extension. This will cause your download folders to just plain get huge very quickly. It doesn't cause any problems with the OS but strange things may happen in the game that may appear to be a bug more especially if a sim or lot gets attached to the duplicated package file instead of the original.

Okay now here is my next problem. I had this lot with this seascape terrain paint so I didn't allow Clean Installer to install it with the packaged lot. (I installed it so I may have a model to use for rebuilding.) Using a different profile in Windows XP I rebuilt the lot with only 2 custom Maxis objects. These are the Skyline Topiary and the Poetic Porpoise Topiary. Now I have a "clean" lot packaged to a file. I used Clean Installer to install the new packaged lot. I noticed that the two custom package files were installed to the downloads folder as expected. I entered the game to test the lot by entering the lot and saving the lot upon exiting to the neighborhood.
Two blank Package files were created when I exited the lot. Now to the next level of testing. Instead of using Clean Installer to install the new lot I used the Maxis package installer. I had to use the package installer for university because there were files missing for the nightlife package installer to work. Maybe this was changed by Maxis with the latest patch to go back to the older package installer? Anyways when I used the Maxis package installer the lot did not create any blank package files when I tested the lot. This can be duplicated and if any designer would like my lot for testing simply PM me and let me know.

Thanks,

Pcgeekri
Field Researcher
#1314 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joanne_8121
Okay obvioulsy something was bugged, it saved eventhough i was unable to choose the file type in the drop down menu. (still dont know what would be causing that) But does the Clean Installer compress larger sized packs? Because the particular file is 25MB ... and will be almost impossible to upload anyway. Sorry if these are dumb questions.

joanne_8121: Phervers would be the one needed to answer your question about Clean Installer compressing larger sized packs.

My question though is why is the file so big? Are you using that much custom content in the lot? Or is it just an overly bloated file because the game packages everything it can get its hands on when it packages a lot (doesn't really package everything, but it sure seems like it at times )? If it is the latter then use Clean Installer to remove the custom content and save the file under a new name.

Deb
Field Researcher
#1315 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 6:54 AM
pcgeekri: Not sure what exactly you are experiencing, but I do not think that it is a virus. Whenever you install a lot file that has custom content through the Maxis installer, you will find a numerical number appended to the filename as you described. If you keep installing the lot, then each time it is installed it will increment the number which will give you multiple copies of the same file in your downloads. Having multiple copies of an object can (as it did in Sims 1) possibly cause problems in the game. The best way around this is to use Clean Installer and check only the lot file for installation if you are installing it multiple times. That should solve the problem.

Deb
Test Subject
#1316 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 10:06 PM
Default Fusion.dll?!?!?!?!?!?!
WTF?! I just installed it and taht's all fine and dandy but when I tried to run it and when it tried to auto-run it claimed I don't have the file "fusion.dll" and some other .net file! HELP! :mad:
Test Subject
#1317 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 10:25 PM
The First message says, "This application has failed to start because fusion.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." The other .net message says, "C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework\v1.1.4322\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded" I tried re-installing it 3 times ad tried older versions and it always says the same thing.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#1318 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 12:02 AM
Try re-installing Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1.
Test Subject
#1319 Old 20th Dec 2005 at 11:55 PM
Default Error: Can't Initialize Plugin Directory
I have searched high and lo for weeks and can not find the solution to this problem. I download Clean Installer but the exe will not install it because it insists that "Can't Initialize Plugin Directory. Try Again Later."

I have windows xp, I have installed net framework with not problem.

Ideas?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#1320 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 1:10 AM
Are you sure you have .NET Framework 1.1? 2.0 won't work.
Test Subject
#1321 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 1:28 AM
Yes. I installed 1.1. It installed without a problem as is active.
Field Researcher
#1322 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 4:37 PM
amileegirl: When you download Clean Installer are you clicking the Save button or the Run button? With your error message saying to try again later, it sounds more like an install from the internet (which will not work with this file), so I wonder if you are actually trying to run the exe rather than save it to your hard drive, then double click the file to install.

Deb
Test Subject
#1323 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alpjoy
I would love to use this tool. Unfortunately .Net is a huge download since I'm on dial-up.

I have dial-up too and .Net downloaded in about an hour more or less you just have to close all the windows except the download window and internet and just
don't touch your computer until it finishes downloading.

In the world full of copycats be original...STOP RIPPING OFF OTHER PEOPLES' IDEAS YOU BASTARDS!
Ps. This message doesn't apply to anyone with pemission to copy someone's idea.

Mwahahahahahahaha, God I'm nuts.
Test Subject
#1324 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 1:11 PM
amileegirl: When you download Clean Installer are you clicking the Save button or the Run button? With your error message saying to try again later, it sounds more like an install from the internet (which will not work with this file), so I wonder if you are actually trying to run the exe rather than save it to your hard drive, then double click the file to install.

I didn't hit the run button. I saved cleaninstaller to the harddrive first then ran the .exe file. As soon as I double click, the message "Error! can't initialize plugins directory" pops up. I've installed other programs since with no such message appearing.
Field Researcher
#1325 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 6:24 PM
amileegirl: The reason that I thought that it was an internet install attempt was because of the "Try Again Later." part of the error message. You normally see that with internet installs, not installations on hard drives because it would not make any sense on a hard drive. Okay, I have only two other things for you to try and if they do not resolve it then you may need to wait for Phervers to answer it.

First, are you installing under the Administrator's account? If not then you may not have write privileges for whatever directory it is trying to write to in order to install.

Second, if the first is yes, I am using the Adminstrator's account, then I would suggest downloading the file again because possibly you had a bad download and the setup file is corrupted.

If none of these suggestions work then you will need Phervers because he would be more familiar with the installation exe since he wrote the Clean Installer program.

Deb
Locked thread
Page 53 of 54