Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jan 2023 at 9:43 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default 3 tiles stairwell - placing a wall above modular stairs
Hi all ! This is not so much an issue I'm having rather than something I'm trying to recreate.

Have you ever noticed how the Maxis house "Victorian Value" (the yellow house from the lot bin) had only a 3 tiles opening for the stairs ? See the pictures. The fence on the 2nd floor actually runs across the space needed by the modular stair. Normally when building with modular stairs, the game will only allow 4 tiles above them. The question is how did Maxis do that ? I replaced the fence with a wall, and it works too.

I noticed the bottom of the stairs miss the first step and railing post. Could it be related?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th Jan 2023 at 12:17 AM
AFAIK this is not intended game behaviour and it's not possible to replicate it through normal means i.e. cheats like moveobjects on. However, I have been able to do it myself once here by accident. So what usually happens when you place ceiling tiles in a tile that doesn't have a floor is the game automatically places the default wood tile (the one in foundations) there. But (at least in my game) when I'm placing ceiling tiles, tiles without flooring where you didn't place a ceiling will sometimes also get that default tile. This happens randomly, I think, and it's more common when Shift-placing ceilings. In this particular case, one of those "intruder" tiles just happened to be the 4th tile above a staircase. I made use of it and it works normally. This is the only way I have been able to do it, but the way Maxis did it has to be different since those are base game houses and ceilings only came with AL.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jan 2023 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
This is the only way I have been able to do it, but the way Maxis did it has to be different since those are base game houses and ceilings only came with AL.

Thanks for the reply! I see what "glitch" you're referring to with AL ceilings. But if I'm not mistaken, you can indeed add floortiles above the stairs (using the ceiling tool) but not run a wall or fence across them. I'll try and experiment more on my side but if anyone has any ideas, please share
Instructor
#4 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aquagloups
Thanks for the reply! I see what "glitch" you're referring to with AL ceilings. But if I'm not mistaken, you can indeed add floortiles above the stairs (using the ceiling tool) but not run a wall or fence across them. I'll try and experiment more on my side but if anyone has any ideas, please share

I will test this out as well since I never bothered to check. In the house I used this I didn't run a wall or fence, I made a fake wall using columns.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!