Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2004 at 8:32 PM
Default Sims 2 .package Texture Files
Hi All,

As previously mentioned in another news article, the texture files found in the .package files in the Sims 2 are DXT compressed textures. They are either DXT5 or DXT3, with or without alpha channels.

I've now written a program to take these textures, strip out the custom header, and attach a standard DDS file header to it.

The result? See the image attached I know it's the same as exporting from the Body Shop, but these are actual files from the base game which is a big step.

I still have to go through and work out the different combinations of flags and some unknowns, plus alter the code to deal with TIMG and LEVL files, but that should be trivial.

[img]e107_images/newspost_images/sampletexture.jpg[/img]
Advertisement
Zombie Coder
#2 Old 20th Sep 2004 at 8:31 PM
I'm guessing the files are DXT3, since thats whats been used throughout SC4, and its a simpler/more accurate format. The DXT5 format is a bit more complex, and not quite as accurate as DXT3 (DXT3 stores more information for interpolating alpha values, DXT5 stores only two possible alpha values that can be interpolated in one of 4 ways, similar to how color pixels are stored for all DXT formats).
Test Subject
#3 Old 19th Sep 2004 at 4:33 PM
http://modthesims2.com/e107_images/newspost_images/sampletexture.jpg
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Sep 2004 at 6:33 PM
I had originally attached the image but it was too big, so I resized it and included it in the main news body text.